A question for those already down under....

ScottishMatilda

My hubby and I are hoping to make a move to oz at some point in the future and are looking forward to a more outdoor lifestyle. We are wondering though how much time people actually spend outdoors, whether it be in the garden, our on the beach?

I have heard people saying it gets dark early in oz and therefore they don't spend much time outside and others mentioning the munching mozzies. Just interested what people think about this?

I think the thing is that generally you can plan to have a day out and pretty much know that you will be able to do it without getting rained off. Having said that we came back from a beach walk today, soaked to the skin. But it was good, and cooled us off nicely.

It can get too hot up here in Central Queensland to be outside during the day, and yes, the mozzies do attack, but cover up, spray and burn stuff to keep them away, and the dark evenings can be fun. All the sports fields are lit and life still goes on even after dark, although QLD people do go to bed early and get up early!

Yes, I think we do spend more time outside, but it's not all day, every day.

Thanks for the reply! I think being able to plan for your weekends is such an advantage! We cannot really do that here in sunny Scotland. Last year we must have gone to at least 3 bbq's in the "summer" where we sat outside under canopies freezing! Not sure why nobody suggested just moving inside....trying to prove out hardiness maybe?! lol!

To be honest, we spend the same amount of time outdoors usually. This summer has been shockingly wet so we have spent less time outside, hot, humid and pouring down is not nice! I think it rained 42 out of 45 days or something. We have had a couple of nice ones, but I have a prolapsed disc in my back, so we haven't done anything.

I would say to start with we spent more time outside but as time goes on normal weekend stuff kicks in and it is then about the same as before.

It depends whereabouts you are in the country, and your tolerance for the weather. The climate varies so widely.

In WA the summers can be extremely hot and unbearable to be outside in at times, but at least you can more or less guarantee it isn't going to rain much during the summer. Autumn is lovely. Winter is wet, but still some nice days.

I'm now in QLD, to be honest I find you can't organise anything ahead of time and expect not to get rain in the summer, it's pot luck (at least in my experience) as it does rain quite a bit, as LKC says, hot, humid and pouring down isn't that pleasant (for me anyway). (I'm not saying it's like that all the time but you need to be aware of the different climates)

Winters here are gorgeous though, dry and sunny, as all/most of the rain comes in the summer.

I think it's down to the individual. I've got to the point where I actually prefer cool weather rather than the heat, but there was a time when I loved the hot weather. These days I'm a beach in winter girl, getting the cobwebs blown away, rather than a sun worshiper.

I think we probably spend less time outdoors these days than we did initially, but that's just because our personal tolerance of the weather has changed.

We love walking, walked for miles & miles in the UK last year, even in miserable weather, rugged up to the eyeballs, loved it. Here I can barely make it to the end of the road without feeling hot & sticky and just wanting to turn round & go home. But I think I really don't like the Queensland climate, maybe I would feel differently somewhere else.

We are in QLD and we love it!! We get to do loadss more outdoorsey type activites here and we seem to spend more time together as a family. This last weekend has done nothing but rain ,but the difference here is its still hot enough to be out and have fun as my daughter and her friends show in this pic taken on Saturday...(which reminds me, NEVER leave 3 8 yr olds and a tube of pink Zinc cream unattended,lol)

photo (1).jpg

Cal x

photo (1).jpg

We have been here 6 months however the Sydney spring and summer have been quite wet. This has meant we have not gone to the beach very often, but we are divers and have not let the rain put us off that (get wet anyway...). I would say that we have had to change plans only on a small number of occasions due to rain, we have had a lot of BBQs, picnics, days out etc. I would say that overall our habits have not changed a lot, but we do have a mindset which is geared to going out and not expecting to be inside if that makes sense. We also do not have a pool, but if we did I would imagine our spare time would also include swims so that would be a great change compared to the UK. Australia has a very diverse climate and it will depend where you go. It will also be interesting to see how we fare in the Autumn and Winter and if our habits change or if we do more/less outdoors.

Guest SupportPants

I probably spend the same or less time outdoors than I did in the UK. It's too hot to be outdoors in Central Qld for half the year and I don't like spending time in the sun (during winter) as I am trying to not age as badly as the locals have! It is nice to be able to sit outside in the evenings although you do need to be covered up as mossies get you. It probably depends where you are going to, how intense the sun is and how you fare with insects.

It will depend on where in Australia you settle.

Here in Tasmania it doesn't get dark until 9.30 pm in midsummer and during the summer there are lots of outdoor activities, even after work - twilight sailing, sporting competitions etc. And in the morning it gets light before 5 am. In the far north of Australia I think darkness falls around 6 - 6.30 pm year round.

Also temperatures vary tremendously around the country. We almost never have it so hot that it is uncomfortable outside - this past weekend was the exception - or so cold that it is miserable. However there are large areas of Australia where you want to stay in the shade - or aircon - for most of the day during summer. However, they are the same areas which usually have very pleasant, warm winters.

In Perth it can be way too hot to be outdoors in summer. Our beach will be empty by around mid day with even the lifeguards gone. It does get dark early and people tend to get up early. Its not unusual for people to be at work by 7am. Also therefore go to bed early. We have been here 4 years and marvel at the fact that in England we often didnt eat till after 9pm, but here we are often in bed by 9.30

In Perth it can be way too hot to be outdoors in summer. Our beach will be empty by around mid day with even the lifeguards gone. It does get dark early and people tend to get up early. Its not unusual for people to be at work by 7am. Also therefore go to bed early. We have been here 4 years and marvel at the fact that in England we often didnt eat till after 9pm, but here we are often in bed by 9.30

Don't know what beach you live near but I think you'll find the lifeguards can't "knock off" when they feel like it. They are contracted to be on the beach (if it's a popular one) between about 07:00 and 05:00 in summer and a couple of hours less in spring and autumn.

Personally I've never known it to be "too hot" to be outdoors in Perth summer. There might be a few days where it gets over 40, and I mean a few, but we don't generally get the humidity here. I've been in Brisbane in 32 degrees and felt more uncomfortable than on a Perth 40 degree day.

We spend lots more time outdoors than we used to in the UK, there were just some days when it wasn't worth going outside as it was so miserable.

People do tend to get up earlier and go to bed earlier. I get up around 05:30 in the week to go for a ski paddle with a few friends and have time for a coffee by the beach before work. Even on the hottest days it's very pleasant at that time in the morning, the beaches are surprisingly busy. If you're a fitness fan you'd be amazed at the number of "boot camp" type classes that have sprung up in the early mornings over the last few years. Another good reason for getting up early is the sea breeze generally picks up around lunchtime and afternoons at the beach can sometimes be a bit unpleasant if you're just down to sunbathe, as a lot of tourists do. Great if you like windsurfing/kitesurfing though.

I had a BBQ last year - it's been wet in Sydney this summer, and I've also been busy up a ladder gold-leafing my house with paint from Bunnings.

Saying that, we had a great weekend this weekend and were outdoors all day on Saturday and Sunday. Poolside, beach, bikes, kids sport, beer, bubbles, more beer etc.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

i know you won't believe this, but ...... we had 2 days of hot sunny weather here in the UK once last year at the end of summer in June, but i was working so i missed it. No decent weather for 8 months now, but summer starts in April, so i can't wait.

Personally I've never known it to be "too hot" to be outdoors in Perth summer. There might be a few days where it gets over 40, and I mean a few, but we don't generally get the humidity here. I've been in Brisbane in 32 degrees and felt more uncomfortable than on a Perth 40 degree day

[/quote

You must have asbestos skin :biggrin: (or live near the beach and not the hills!!) Though I do agree with you about the humidity in Brisbane--- yuk

Love being outdoors, we often sit outside regardless of the weather, as its usually warm, even when its storms. We have a huge undercover area and sit and watch the rain/storms or sun and have BBQ's whatever the weather.

We spend far more time outdoors.

mossies are a pain, however, we have recently bought those large stick torches which burn the citronella and placed one on the table in the midle where the umbrella goes and one at the side of us and 2 coils underneath our feet and hav not got bit, twice on the run :)

We sat out until midnight at the weekend.

Fairystar ... you need one of these-

patio from inside.jpg

You can sit out 24/7 with no mossies or flies bothering you,, i honestly think enclosing the patio was the best thing we ever did, i even have my washing line under there so the sun cant discolour anything and you can still peg out when its raining.. Didnt cost alot to enclose either..

Cal x

patio from inside.jpg

Personally I've never known it to be "too hot" to be outdoors in Perth summer. There might be a few days where it gets over 40, and I mean a few, but we don't generally get the humidity here. I've been in Brisbane in 32 degrees and felt more uncomfortable than on a Perth 40 degree day

You must have asbestos skin :biggrin: (or live near the beach and not the hills!!) Though I do agree with you about the humidity in Brisbane--- yuk

Spot on Yorkiegirl. We live 10 mins walk away but just about always drive...so 2mins. I would honestly struggle to live in the hills. I know you can get a bigger house and more land for the money but the temperature difference between the coast and inland parts is amazing. I took my son to a party just the other side of Wanneroo once. It was a pleasant 35 degrees at home when I dropped him off in Wanneroo it was 42. He rang me to go pick him up about 9:00 as he said even in the pool wasn't comfortable as there were so many people trying to get into it that the water was too warm.

When we first emigrated we rented in Como for about a year. It's a nice suburb, near the River with nice views but even that was too far from the beach for me. When we moved over we came with the knowledge that both of us wanted to be as near the beach as we could afford. That obviously counted out suburbs like Cottesloe and City Beach so we just had a look further North until we could afford something. Have loved it here ever since.

Mesh top to bottom with security screen covering the bottom (helps stop the kids ripping the net with their bikes etc,lol) Then double glass sliding entry doors (bought brand new off trading post for a couple of hundred bucks.

This is a pic from the outside-

patio.jpg

Cal x

patio.jpg

Spot on Yorkiegirl. We live 10 mins walk away but just about always drive...so 2mins. I would honestly struggle to live in the hills. I know you can get a bigger house and more land for the money but the temperature difference between the coast and inland parts is amazing. I took my son to a party just the other side of Wanneroo once. It was a pleasant 35 degrees at home when I dropped him off in Wanneroo it was 42. He rang me to go pick him up about 9:00 as he said even in the pool wasn't comfortable as there were so many people trying to get into it that the water was too warm.

When we first emigrated we rented in Como for about a year. It's a nice suburb, near the River with nice views but even that was too far from the beach for me. When we moved over we came with the knowledge that both of us wanted to be as near the beach as we could afford. That obviously counted out suburbs like Cottesloe and City Beach so we just had a look further North until we could afford something. Have loved it here ever since.

Yes. it does make a huge difference doesn't it. I've lived in Kalamunda, Bullsbrook Hills (both with no aircon:wacko:) The Vines, they all get so hot in the summer.

Beachside suburb prices are crazy these days though. I remember back when you could buy a 650 sqm block at Sorrento (beachside of Marmion Ave) for $60,000, almost did, wish I had:cry:)

Must admit though I do prefer the WA climate to this QLD stuff any day. Those lovely warm summer evenings sitting outside under the stars with no fear of getting rained on (or pooped on by a flying fox).

Plus WA beaches are the absolute best ever.

We made a commitment to ourselves to be more 'outdoorsy' when we came here. Realistically, it wasn't the UK environment that had stopped us, it was us ourselves.

That said, there is much more opportunity to get outside here. In Perth, all year round really.

I am from in-between Liverpool and Manchester and it rains 7,589 days a year there.

I would if we owned, but we rent :(

Its a fab idea...

we wanted a cat friendly one ,so the cats could go out safely too.. we are thinking of buying a gazebo to go under the cover bit but with net sides :)

Fairystar ... you need one of these-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]

You can sit out 24/7 with no mossies or flies bothering you,, i honestly think enclosing the patio was the best thing we ever did, i even have my washing line under there so the sun cant discolour anything and you can still peg out when its raining.. Didnt cost alot to enclose either..

Cal x

Yes. it does make a huge difference doesn't it. I've lived in Kalamunda, Bullsbrook Hills (both with no aircon:wacko:) The Vines, they all get so hot in the summer.

Beachside suburb prices are crazy these days though. I remember back when you could buy a 650 sqm block at Sorrento (beachside of Marmion Ave) for $60,000, almost did, wish I had:cry:)

Must admit though I do prefer the WA climate to this QLD stuff any day. Those lovely warm summer evenings sitting outside under the stars with no fear of getting rained on (or pooped on by a flying fox).

Plus WA beaches are the absolute best ever.

Aint it just the way???:arghh:

I was in WA in 1963 and went to Mandurah. Saw a few blocks of land at a new estate called Falcon, off the Old Coast Road...for the great price of £250 per block. Quite close to this place.

http://www.century21.com.au/property/43629/

Not quite...:wink: Some stunning beaches in Qld and the NT and quite a few in NSW as well

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived