Permanently Blocked Nose - Help needed desparately

BrownEyedGal

Hi All

Since moving here to Oz, I have had more asthma and allergy symptoms than you could shake a stick at but have managed to cope or get better but this is too much.

Since coming back in September I have a PERMANENTLY blocked nose. Hence breathing through my mouth, I suffer from a dry mouth at night, constant sneezing, dry throat and more importantly emotionally, it is messing with my head. I seriously feel like I am drowning. I can't even take a drink of water from a bottle without panicking now. I have no cold/flu symptoms and do not feel ill, (at this moment).

I have tried all the remedies you can advise, from decongestants, to herbal to massaging my sinuses, gargling with salt water, sniffing up salt water, etc. Nothing is shifting it. I walk around trying to keep my mouth closed but then panic cos I can't get enough air, (or so it feels). I can't go swimming anymore. If I do manage to breath through my nose it is very short lived.

I want to breath from my nostrils again, and know that if I get a cold that I won't get back to this state.

I feel it may be related to my acid reflux but have no proof.

Apart from medical intervention does any have any ideas for me - please?

BEGal

Guest Guest31881

have you been to see your GP.... there are so many things that could cause it, a visit to your GP after this amount of time would be the best thing to do.

Yep sounds like a GP visit to me the flight may well have caused an irritation I think there is something called Rhino something or other and its an infection you have to use a nasal spray for, also it could be an allergy, if you already have asthma you are more likely to be allergic to things, but a Doctors visit is what you need.

Have you tried a Nasal Spray, I use a Vicks one every night so I can breath through my nose and get a good nights sleep, you not supposed to use it for more than a week but was told by the pharmacist just at night is ok but not to keep spraying it during the day, that combined with the nasal irrigator works for me. Would be a good idea to see a Doctor too.

Honestly, if its that bad and been going on that long, go see a Doctor and let them (hopefully) diagnose and treat you. Or refer you for further investigation if there is an underlying reason.

Hi All

Since moving here to Oz, I have had more asthma and allergy symptoms than you could shake a stick at but have managed to cope or get better but this is too much.

Since coming back in September I have a PERMANENTLY blocked nose. Hence breathing through my mouth, I suffer from a dry mouth at night, constant sneezing, dry throat and more importantly emotionally, it is messing with my head. I seriously feel like I am drowning. I can't even take a drink of water from a bottle without panicking now. I have no cold/flu symptoms and do not feel ill, (at this moment).

I have tried all the remedies you can advise, from decongestants, to herbal to massaging my sinuses, gargling with salt water, sniffing up salt water, etc. Nothing is shifting it. I walk around trying to keep my mouth closed but then panic cos I can't get enough air, (or so it feels). I can't go swimming anymore. If I do manage to breath through my nose it is very short lived.

I want to breath from my nostrils again, and know that if I get a cold that I won't get back to this state.

BEGal

i had all the same symptons u have and i have nasal polyps ......got a spray from doc ...and it does help to a certain extent ....but have been told that to be completetly clear ...would need to have them removed ....but they do grow back .....

mrs keily

there are some pretty good 1 tablet decongestants out there, oner the counter. i just wish i could remember the bloody name! if you are fully blocked breathing something in just isnt going to work.

try the pills, if you can (allergies) if not a shaped charge* might shift it.

:)

(ps dont try the shaped charge)

Thanks everyone. Definitely going to try the shaped charge!!! oh just read the ps ;)

Seriously I feel mentally insane, with horrible thoughts going through my head. Its ruining my focus and confidence.

Can anyone recommend a good/nice doctor in the Chatswood area?

Yes a referral to ENT would be good.

I had my adenoids cauterised when a child, so nasal polyps may possibly be relevant to me.

Thanks all.

Definately go to GP and get a referal to a ENT, i had this problem but admittedly it was after having been hit in the nose, little did in know that i needed a operation to fix it. I suffered for over 2 years but once i saw a ENT and had a operation its been brilliant. Just a silly question (as i didnt put two and two together) have you had any knocks to the face? Tell the ENT everything, they will do scans and xrays but should be able to improve the situation. Dont let them put you off!

I have a similar problem, but mine seems to be allergy related. This time of year, when it is particularly humid, we get some mould growth in the house. It isn't awful at all, just a few tiny spots here and there, but it seems to set off this awful allergy reaction. I have a permanently blocked/runny nose including losing my sense of smell, asthma type symptoms (albeit mild) etc. It is only at this time of year and antihistamines help.

I would definitely go to the docs.

Hi All

BEGal

Beconase, a nasal spray may help or Aerius a tablet and thee is another one which name escapes me at the moment. All these can be purchased from your chemist over the counter. It sounds rather severe in your case so a visit to a GP to arrange an appointment with an Ear,Nose & Mouth doctor would be the next logical step.

They can give you a referral to go to hospital where they may decide to operate. It is an over night stay normally after a hour hour procedure.

I find salt water when in the sea assists this sort of thing. I wonder do you find it far worse at night? Does it impact on your sleep? Irritating isn't it? Try the above first as well as breathing exercises but longer term perhaps an op is required Good Luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

No know if its been mentioned already but Sinutabs are brilliant for blocked noses, but it sounds more than just a blocked nose, best of luck.