Vetassess Skill Assessment Processing Time

Guest Tanmoy

Hey,

are you applying for a visa before SkillSelect?

Yes, I'm hoping to! Depending on when the VETASSESS assessment is completed, I may go ahead with it however I am applying also for Vic SS so there's a big chance we may miss the July 1st deadline. If we get the assessment after July 1st, we have a total of 75 points with state sponsorship, so I hope we will still be invited to apply. For us, it's better to get in earlier so that's why we're doing the skills assessment now.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm hoping to! Depending on when the VETASSESS assessment is completed, I may go ahead with it however I am applying also for Vic SS so there's a big chance we may miss the July 1st deadline. If we get the assessment after July 1st, we have a total of 75 points with state sponsorship, so I hope we will still be invited to apply. For us, it's better to get in earlier so that's why we're doing the skills assessment now.

Good for you:)

I hope that Vic will be sponsoring scientist for a bit longer, as I have only one year experience right now...

Do you have a PhD? I have only 60points w/o sponsorship, so before getting a PhD I have very little chance of being selected:/

Hi Joanna, nope I haven't received my PhD yet, so my highest qualification so far is a Masters and I'm being assessed for my Masters qualification but I will be receiving my PhD soon. :) I am using my 36 hours work week for 4 years whilst I am completing my PhD as my work experience. Have you taken the IELTS? I received the max points for it as I scored an average of 8.5 with at least 8s in all categories. That helps with the point totals! Good luck!

Hi Joanna, nope I haven't received my PhD yet, so my highest qualification so far is a Masters and I'm being assessed for my Masters qualification but I will be receiving my PhD soon. :) I am using my 36 hours work week for 4 years whilst I am completing my PhD as my work experience. Have you taken the IELTS? I received the max points for it as I scored an average of 8.5 with at least 8s in all categories. That helps with the point totals! Good luck!

I also have a MSc now and I will be receiving PhD soon (hopefully) :) I have taken IELTS before I started my PhD and I scored more then 8.0 in all parts except writing. But it was 2 yrs ago so I need to take it again anyway...

I just calculated my points and I would have 65points (with IELTS > 8.0) w/o SS, unfortunately I won't get any points for my experience as my PhD is full-time (40hours per week) but will last only 2,5 year...

One more thing - did you assess your skills as Life Scientist in general or more specific, like Cell/Molecular Biologist?

Hi Fowler Family

My OH took his trade assessment nin carpentry on 30/03 in Belfast, his status on Vetassess has changed from in progress to successful but we still haven't received any written confirmation. I emailed them last week and got an email reply saying it was posted out on the 17/04 so hopefully any day now it should arrive. They do say 30 days on the FAQ on Vetassess though so the end of this week would be almost that.

Hope that's some help the wait is hard, both for the test date and the results.

Also waiting for the dreaded ielts results they're due Friday! :wub:

Hi Paul and Louisa

Why oh why does everything seem to take soooo long?? :skeptical:

We were desperately trying to get the vetassess and state sponsorship through quickly so that we could lodge our vias befoe 1st July but thanks to our emmigration agents dragging their heels despite paying them £1700 we are finally reaching the conclusion that it just isn't possible especially if vetassess are taking 30 days to get back to us on the practical - his test is on 19th May and can't apply for state sponsorship without his vetassess approval papers!!

Aaagghh!!

Thanks for your message and loads of luck with the IELTS! Let us know your results!

:em3600:

• 1 month later...

Hey hey! Congratulations to all who received a positive outcome allready!

VETASSESS got all my documents now exactly 14 weeks ago. I check every day, but still nothing...

I want to be asessed as chemistry technician even though my diploma says biological technical officer.:unsure:

I guess it is closely related and that it meets the AQF standard but you never now because its a german apprenticeship.

According to their website it may take up to 16 weeks. So counting the days....

Does anyone now, if you can still aply for SS after 1. July or do you have to be picked by a state after you loged your EOI?

Patience to everyone still waiting and good luck!!

Guest Tanmoy

21 WEEKS!!!! Still no update from VETESSES. It still shows pending......

Thank GOD I started my own application seperately with my Wife as the Secondary applicant or I wouldn't have got the Visa.... Got my 176 grant with my profession on 28th May...

But people have got it in shorter period of time.... So have patience and hope guys!!

~Tanmoy

Hey Guys!

Checked the vetasses page again this morning and guess what... Its done... the dram seems to be over now... UNSUCCESSFUL:cry:

I have to wait now for them to post me the results. The last chance might be to go through a reassessment than, but first I need to find out what went wrong...

I´m so disappointed and sad... Don´t really now how to go on now...

Good luck to everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey!

The letter came and Im even more confused. I applied to be assessed as Chemistry technician. My Diploma states that I am biological technical officer, what is in the same ANZCO unitgroup.

Vetassess told me that the skill level is only Certificate IV and not a Diploma as required and that the tasks (I do axactly what the asi page says) undertaken in my 4 years of work experience are not in a highly relevant field.

How do you become a Laboratory technician in GB? Here in Germany I had to go to a private school for two years where the main subjects were Biology and Chemistry.

Anyone who knows what to do now?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Hey hey!

The letter came and Im even more confused. I applied to be assessed as Chemistry technician. My Diploma states that I am biological technical officer, what is in the same ANZCO unitgroup.

Vetassess told me that the skill level is only Certificate IV and not a Diploma as required and that the tasks (I do axactly what the asi page says) undertaken in my 4 years of work experience are not in a highly relevant field.

How do you become a Laboratory technician in GB? Here in Germany I had to go to a private school for two years where the main subjects were Biology and Chemistry.

Cheers

So what have you done?

Guest Lily83

In the UK it depends on what sort of Laboratory Technician you are. In a secondary school/college you only require GCE A Levels in the appropriate science (or there is an NVQ designed for technicians). In a university if you start as a trainee you need the same as for a school, but a higher level technician may require a degree. My husband works as a biological technical officer in a university - he has a Batchelors degree in Natural Sciences.

Why did you apply as a chemistry technician not as a Life Sciences Technician?

Hey hey!

Cheers

Hey Lily83,

I applied as Chemistry Technician because Life Science Technician is on no state sponsor List. Both occupations are in my opinion closely related and The asri description for Cemistry Technician suits me a bit more anyway, because in my past jobs I had most to do with chemicals, fertilisor, fungicides and so on. In the moment I am taking and analysing water samples.

Unfortunatelly I don`t have a bachelors degree and other than in the UK you can`t study to become a biological technical officer. Here its an apprenticeship or vocational training.

The Lady from VETASSESS adviced me, to try to get my skills recognised through UK NARIC and then make an enquiry if tey assess me on the required skill level. I did so and will propably get the oucome letter today. I´m very nervous about that!

If its still not the required level I will try to sign in for a course or something like that in the UK to get one step up the ladder.

Did your husband get an vetassess assessment? And are you already on the way of sending of an EOI?

Thank you for your reply!!

Guest Lily83

Good luck with UK NARIC, hope the outcome is what you require. Which state is Chemistry Technician on?

My husband hasn't applied for a vetassess yet. I applied as a chemist last year but was rejected. We are undecided whether to have another go either as a chemistry technician or a life sciences techncian for an employer sponsored visa.

Hey Lily83,

I applied as Chemistry Technician because Life Science Technician is on no state sponsor List. Both occupations are in my opinion closely related and The asri description for Cemistry Technician suits me a bit more anyway, because in my past jobs I had most to do with chemicals, fertilisor, fungicides and so on. In the moment I am taking and analysing water samples.

Unfortunatelly I don`t have a bachelors degree and other than in the UK you can`t study to become a biological technical officer. Here its an apprenticeship or vocational training.

The Lady from VETASSESS adviced me, to try to get my skills recognised through UK NARIC and then make an enquiry if tey assess me on the required skill level. I did so and will propably get the oucome letter today. I´m very nervous about that!

If its still not the required level I will try to sign in for a course or something like that in the UK to get one step up the ladder.

Did your husband get an vetassess assessment? And are you already on the way of sending of an EOI?

Thank you for your reply!!