Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Hi

Just a question , re motorbikes. , can you bring a bike in stripped down as motorcycle parts

You can do this if you like however if you do not get an import approval then that bike will never be allowed for road registration, so if you do strip it and ship as parts then it could only be used for part or as an off-road bike. The import approval only costs AUD$50 so as long as you meet the criteria to be approved then you should just get the import approval anyway, then you have the option to get the bike road registered should you choose to at a later date.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi

Could I please have an estimated cost on the below

Aug 2010 Audi A3 S Line TDI (170) 2L

Automatic

Diesel

64000 mile on the clock

Aircon

Sat Nav

UK value - £14k

Aussie Redbook value $45-50k

We'd be looking at shipping the car to Melbourne

Much obliged :biggrin:

Hi, Im new on here so not sure if doing this right?

Got a Merc E280D AC 2006 valued at £7000 in UK if Im lucky. Valued in Aus Trade in $31400-35500 or Private $38600-42700.

VW Beetle Convertible 2004 Valued at £5000 Value in Aus Trade $9200-11400 or Private $12000-14200

Hope this makes sence. Would prob sell the Merc there if it was worth it.

Also is it worth taking 3 Honda CR MX bikes?

Regards

Guest Guest67761
Hi

Could I please have an estimated cost on the below

Aug 2010 Audi A3 S Line TDI (170) 2L

Automatic

Diesel

64000 mile on the clock

Aircon

Sat Nav

UK value - £14k

Aussie Redbook value $45-50k

We'd be looking at shipping the car to Melbourne

Much obliged :biggrin:

Based on the information provided I expect that shipping would cost around AUD$5,350 including Australian Customs clearance, import duty, taxes, etc then you need to allow another AUD$3,550 or so for the additional costs to have the car certified to Australian standards, inspected for roadworthy and registered for road use including our service fee too of course.

All up it should owe you around AUD$30,000 (£14,000 plus AUD$8,900 in costs) however a quick search shows similar cars with lower mileage selling here in Australia for around $28,000 to $33,000 so it would be borderline if it was worth bringing or not.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi, Im new on here so not sure if doing this right?

Got a Merc E280D AC 2006 valued at £7000 in UK if Im lucky. Valued in Aus Trade in $31400-35500 or Private $38600-42700.

VW Beetle Convertible 2004 Valued at £5000 Value in Aus Trade $9200-11400 or Private $12000-14200

Hope this makes sence. Would prob sell the Merc there if it was worth it.

Also is it worth taking 3 Honda CR MX bikes?

Regards

The Mercedes Benz would be easily worth bringing with you as it's worth a lot more here in Australia than the combination of the current value and cost to get it here and on the road. The Volkswagen not so much but it might still be worthwhile if you have some special attachment to the car or it's above average in specification and/or condition.

For more information and a detailed cost breakdown for either of these cars you can fill out the cost estimate request form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

If you are bringing a container load of household goods then putting the bikes in there might be a good option, it really depends on the value of the bikes in the UK compared to Australia.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

hi can you tell me when you have to import a car by? we have a car we're thinking of bringing with us, we've owned it for over 12 months. Do we need to ship it the same time we go over or is it ok to put it into storage for a while and ship it over at a later date eg. 6 months later? is there a time limit as to when it has to come over?

thanks

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2008

- make, model & variant Peugeot 207

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type petrol 1300

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) front wheel

- mileage 31.000

- any special features, options or modification no

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value £4000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) SORRY I've TRIED BUT CANNOT FIND

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city BRISBANE

sorry I was miss informed the car is actually a 1400

hi can you tell me when you have to import a car by? we have a car we're thinking of bringing with us, we've owned it for over 12 months. Do we need to ship it the same time we go over or is it ok to put it into storage for a while and ship it over at a later date eg. 6 months later? is there a time limit as to when it has to come over?

thanks

For the Personal Imports Scheme, applications may be made up to 6 months after you arrive in Australia. - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

HI

Here is a tricky one for you...

Volkswagen T2 Transporter

1641cc

Manual Transmission

Rear Wheel Drive 4 speed

Unleaded Fuel

No air con ( lots of windows though!!!!)

Approx value in UK £15000 and upwards

Unsure of Oz value not listed in your websites ( not your websites, but the ones you refer to)

As for Mileage, unknown, but around 74000 on this clock and who knows how many clocks its had, been disconnected etc....

Please advise

Regards

Tony

Hi Iron Chef,

We are moving to Perth and are unsure whether to take our Nissan Qashqai (dualis).

Year 2007

Nissan Qashqai

1.6 Petrol

Manual

48,000 miles

Air Con

Value locally £8k

Red book value $13-15,000

Destination: Perth

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Matt

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Hi,

Thanks for putting this together. Helpful to get any sort of guidance on this issue ...

Year: 2010

Make: Volkswagen Tiguan Match TDI 2.0

Body Type: Hatch

Engine Size/Fuel: 2.0 TDI Diesel

Transmission: Automatic Dual Clutch

Drive Type: 4WD

Mileage: 10,869 miles

Special Features: Sun Roof

Aircon? Yes

Realistic UK Value:£21,500

Australian Redbook Value: $39,190

Australian Market Value: $33,700

Australian City: Brisbane

Thanks

Heath

Hi Iron Chef

Please can you give me some advice on whether I should ship the following:

Year: 2007

Make: BMW Z4 Coupe Sport 3.0

Body Type: Coupe

Engine Size/Fuel: 3.0 Petrol

Transmission: Automatic with Sports paddle shift

Drive Type: rear wheel

Mileage: 49,000 miles

Special Features: M sport features

Aircon? Yes

Realistic UK Value:£11,000

Australian Redbook Value: $34,190

Australian City: Sydney

I move on 16th April from London. How long does it take to ship and what do I need to do/pay?

Thanks

James

Hi Iron Chef,

What an incredible service!

Could you work magic on this Jeep Patriot:

YEAR: 2009

MAKE MODEL VARIANT: JEEP PATRIOT LIMITED

BODY TYPE: SUV

ENGINE SIZE / FUEL TYPE: 2.0 LITRE / DIESEL

TRANSMISSION: MANUAL

DRIVE TYPE: 4WD ON DEMAND

MILEAGE: 55,000 MILES

FEATURES / OPTIONS: MUD FLAPS / ROOF RACK

AIR CON: YES

UK VALUE: £8400

REDBOOK PRIVATE PRICE GUIDE: AU$ 19,300 - 21,700

AUSTRALIAN MARKET VALUE: AU$ 20,000

STATE/CITY: NSW/SYDNEY

THANK YOU!!

And another one... a cheeky little run around! (I've heard that SUV's and micro bodies hold their value well over there!)

2005 Nissan Micra

YEAR: 2005

MAKE MODEL VARIANT: NISSAN MICRA URBIS

ENGINE SIZE / FUEL TYPE: 1.2 LITRE / PETROL

MILEAGE: 34,000

OPTIONS: NONE

UK VALUE: £2000

REDBOOK PRIVATE PRICE GUIDE:

(No 2005 option available so:) 2007 MICRA: AU$ 6,800 - 8,300

AUSTRALIAN MARKET VALUE:

(No 2005 option available so:) 2007 MICRA: AU$ 10,990

STATE /CITY : NSW SYDNEY

Guest ScottyRS

Year 2003

Ford Focus RS

2.0 Turbo Petrol

Manual

50,000 miles

Air Con

Value locally £8k

Red book value $ unknown as currently only 2 in Australia?

Destination: Perth/Sydney... unsure

Thanks very much for your help - year of manufacture 2008

- engine size & fuel type petrol 1400

- transmission manual

- mileage 31.000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) SORRY I've TRIED BUT CANNOT FIND

Year 2003

Ford Focus RS

2.0 Turbo Petrol

Manual

50,000 miles

Air Con

Value locally £8k

Might be 3, looking at taking my 15k miles one across this year aswell,

I spoke to someone in rsoc and was advised it would be worth£30k+,

just need to remember it will be a very limited market if you wanted to sell

Guest Guest67761

Sorry for missing these messages and not replying sooner.

Hi, could you tell me if its worth bringing my car over.

Its a 2008 Nissan navara pickup 4x4.

2.5l diesel

automatic

aircon

125000 miles (200000km)

UK price £8000

redbook value $25,000 to $30,000

Thanks.

I can't do an exact cost calculation without knowing where you are moving from in the UK and where to in Australia, however I can tell you that it would probably work out well financially regardless of the location so you should look at bringing this vehicle with you for sure. If you wanted to know more and/or get a cost estimate then please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

thanks

Typically they would accept applications up to 6 months after you arrive in Australia however we have processed a number of applications after this time, in some cases around a year or more after arriving. If you have been here a while and wanted to apply now to bring a vehicle with you then please contact me for further information and advice.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
HI

Here is a tricky one for you...

Volkswagen T2 Transporter

1641cc

Manual Transmission

Rear Wheel Drive 4 speed

Unleaded Fuel

No air con ( lots of windows though!!!!)

Approx value in UK £15000 and upwards

Unsure of Oz value not listed in your websites ( not your websites, but the ones you refer to)

As for Mileage, unknown, but around 74000 on this clock and who knows how many clocks its had, been disconnected etc....

Please advise

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Being a rare and unique vehicle we would need to know more about it before I could do a proper accurate cost calculation. It would be helpful if you could email me more details and photos of the vehicle so I could work out the likely valuation for Australian Customs and therefore calculate the import costs for you. Please make sure you include details of where you are moving to in Australia and any other information that might help us give more accurate advice. My email address is craig@ironladyimports.com

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef

Does this also work for motorbikes as we have two that we would love to bring over with us??

If it does I will send across details.

Thanks

Natasha

Hi Natasha,

We can help with motorbikes also. Please email with details of the vehicle, when and where you are moving to in Australia, if you are planning to bring the bikes in a container with your household goods or if you needed separate shipping, etc so we can give you more information and a decent cost estimate.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi,

Thanks for putting this together. Helpful to get any sort of guidance on this issue ...

Year: 2010

Make: Volkswagen Tiguan Match TDI 2.0

Body Type: Hatch

Engine Size/Fuel: 2.0 TDI Diesel

Transmission: Automatic Dual Clutch

Drive Type: 4WD

Mileage: 10,869 miles

Special Features: Sun Roof

Aircon? Yes

Realistic UK Value:£21,500

Australian Redbook Value: $39,190

Australian Market Value: $33,700

Australian City: Brisbane

Thanks

Heath

Hi Heath,

If this vehicle is worth £21,500 in the UK then that works out to be around AUD$33,000 even before you include the importing and on-road costs in Australia, so I would think that selling it in the UK would be a better option if it was purely a financial decision.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef

Please can you give me some advice on whether I should ship the following:

Year: 2007

Make: BMW Z4 Coupe Sport 3.0

Body Type: Coupe

Engine Size/Fuel: 3.0 Petrol

Transmission: Automatic with Sports paddle shift

Drive Type: rear wheel

Mileage: 49,000 miles

Special Features: M sport features

Aircon? Yes

Realistic UK Value:£11,000

Australian Redbook Value: $34,190

Australian City: Sydney

I move on 16th April from London. How long does it take to ship and what do I need to do/pay?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Your car would be an excellent vehicle to bring with you to Australia as it would end up owing you a lot less than it would be worth here. If you wanted a breakdown of the costs involved then please fill in the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate and note that you were asking here on Poms In Oz, then we can get back to you with detailed costs and information about the process.

It will take at least 3 weeks to get Australian vehicle import approval before the car can be shipped. Once on the water it will take around 35 days to get to Sydney if shipped by normal RORO (roll-on/roll-off) service, then around 5-12 days for Customs clearance, and finally another 1-3 week for Australia compliance certification and road registration before it will be ready to drive on the road.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef,

What an incredible service!

Could you work magic on this Jeep Patriot:

YEAR: 2009

MAKE MODEL VARIANT: JEEP PATRIOT LIMITED

BODY TYPE: SUV

ENGINE SIZE / FUEL TYPE: 2.0 LITRE / DIESEL

DRIVE TYPE: 4WD ON DEMAND

MILEAGE: 55,000 MILES

FEATURES / OPTIONS: MUD FLAPS / ROOF RACK

UK VALUE: £8400

REDBOOK PRIVATE PRICE GUIDE: AU$ 19,300 - 21,700

AUSTRALIAN MARKET VALUE: AU$ 20,000

STATE/CITY: NSW/SYDNEY

And another one... a cheeky little run around! (I've heard that SUV's and micro bodies hold their value well over there!)

2005 Nissan Micra

YEAR: 2005

MAKE MODEL VARIANT: NISSAN MICRA URBIS

ENGINE SIZE / FUEL TYPE: 1.2 LITRE / PETROL

MILEAGE: 34,000

OPTIONS: NONE

UK VALUE: £2000

REDBOOK PRIVATE PRICE GUIDE:

(No 2005 option available so:) 2007 MICRA: AU$ 6,800 - 8,300

AUSTRALIAN MARKET VALUE:

(No 2005 option available so:) 2007 MICRA: AU$ 10,990

STATE /CITY : NSW SYDNEY

Both of these cars work out to be borderline as far as the importing and on-road costs in Australia compared to their likely market value. It might be worthwhile bringing them with you if you actually wanted to keep them however if it was a decision to be made from a financial and 'amount of hassle' point of view then it might not be worth your time and effort.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Year 2003

Ford Focus RS

2.0 Turbo Petrol

Manual

50,000 miles

Air Con

Value locally £8k

I would expect this car to be well worth bringing to Australia if you have the ability. There are very few around and there is demand for them, and I assume you would be keen to keep this car too. Please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate if you wanted more information and/or a breakdown of the costs involved.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks very much for your help - year of manufacture 2008

- engine size & fuel type petrol 1400

- transmission manual

- mileage 31.000

Unfortunately it looks like this car would end up owing you a few thousand dollars more than it would be worth once you take into account the importing and on-road costs to get it here in Australia, that is assuming you could sell it for £4,000 in the UK although if it turns out to be hard to sell for that sort of price then this would be worth looking into again.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Year 2011

mini clubman cooper chilli pack

1600cc (122hp) petrol

6sp manual

7000 miles

aircon

uk value £11,500

Destination Adelaide SA.

is it worth the shipping and import duty?

best regards, Gary.

Hi Gary,

This car would be worth bringing with you based on the information you have provided. It should work out to owe you a reasonable amount less than Australian replacement value even with all importing costs, duty & taxes and read registration costs, and with such low mileage it would most likely be quite a good car. If you needed any more information, a breakdown of the costs involved and/or wanted to get started with the paperwork to make it happen then please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Year 2003

Toyota Avensis Estate

1.8 Petrol

5sp manual

131,000 miles

Ireland value €5,000

ireland to perth

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't believe this would be worthwhile by the time you add up all of the costs for shipping this car to Australia and getting it on the road in Perth. It would end up costing you a bit more than it would be worth here, so unless you are especially attached to it and wanted to bring it with you regardless, then I would tend to suggest selling it in Ireland before you leave.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef,

First time on here, we're looking at going back to WA this year and wondered if it was worth taking our family car and hubby's work van?

Car is a Mitsubushi Shogun Elegance, 2005, about 80,000 miles on the clock, worth about £9,000 here, $20,000-$30,000 on car sales

Van is a Vauxhall Vivaro Sportiv, 2008, about 60,000 miles on clock, worth about £8,000 here.

Both in good condition, be great if you could give us as A!!! HA HA

Thanks a lot

Jess