Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2008

- make, model & variant Peugeot 207

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type petrol 1300

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) front wheel

- mileage 31.000

- any special features, options or modification no

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value £4000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) SORRY I've TRIED BUT CANNOT FIND

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city BRISBANE

What I need from you what a way to ask for advice !!!!!

- year of manufacture 2007

- make, model & variant Audi RS4

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Estate

- engine size & fuel type 4.2 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 50,000

- realistic current UK market value £25,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $164,000 - really don't believe that!

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $70,000 - that's more like it.

- which Australian state/city Perth

Thanks very much

Guest charle1980

HI Iron Chef

I didn't think about bringing my car over until I saw this post.

I have a Mazda 3 sport 2007, 60k miles, 2.0 litre engine, 6 speed with air con

worth around £4500 in uk

Wasn't sure on redbook.au - no 2 litre 6 sp version. Perhaps worth $11,700-$13,600??

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi there, I have a 2004 Toyota RAV4 2.0 XT4, manual, 5 door, gbp 5000, aud 10,800-12,900, 40,500 miles, air con. Can you advise if it is worth bringing? Also, apologies if this has been covered as I haven,t read all 68 pages of posts, what is your over estimated cost of customs clearance? Thanks, Elaine

Hi Elaine,

We have replied to your cost estimate request through the website already. Please let us know if you have not received it for some reason or need any further information at all.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi iron chef ford transit 2003 MWB medium roof 76,000 miles one owner from new well looked after was thinking of filling it with carpenter tools and shipping in container ?

It's hard to advise on work vans without a lot more information as they can sometimes not be worthwhile bringing due to low value if they are high mileage and/or in rough condition, but could be well worthwhile if they are in excellent condition, modified or fitted out for your specific purposes, etc. so although we may be able to give you an overall cost estimate, the actual decision on if it's worth bringing to Australia will most likely be your choice.

To get an estimation of the costs involved and/or more information about the process you should fill out the form online at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate with as much information as possible including any noted about the vehicle (number of seats, modifications, condition, etc) so we can give you the most accurate information.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef

Are you able to offer your advice, we're moving to Sydney from London in March and are unsure about the car?

- year of manufacture - 2006

- make, model & variant - Audi A4

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - convertible

- engine size & fuel type - 1.8T Petrol

- transmission - manuel

- mileage 43000

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon - yes

- realistic current UK market value - £9

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) £29k

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - £26k

- which Australian state/city - NSW

Hi Taryn,

Please check the email reply to your cost estimate received through our website. If you need any more information then please let me know, otherwise if you wanted to get started with the process then I will send you a list of the paperwork required.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2008

- make, model & variant Peugeot 207

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type petrol 1300

- transmission manual

- mileage 31.000

- realistic current UK market value £4000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) SORRY I've TRIED BUT CANNOT FIND

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city BRISBANE

This vehicle is probably not worth bringing to Australia unless you have a special attachment to it. The smallest engine variant sold in this year in Australia was a 1400cc so if yours is only 1300cc then it would probably be a little more costly for insurance and would certainly sell for a little less than an Australian delivered model. Other than that the costs to get it into Australia and on the road would probably result in your total investment being a little more than the car would be worth to sell.

If you decide that you want to look further at bringing the car with you, you had another car that you wanted to consider, or just had any other questions then please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

- year of manufacture 2007

- make, model & variant Audi RS4

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Estate

- engine size & fuel type 4.2 petrol

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4WD

- mileage 50,000

- realistic current UK market value £25,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $164,000 - really don't believe that!

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $70,000 - that's more like it.

- which Australian state/city Perth

Thanks very much

I don't even need to look this one up and I can already tell you that it's absolutely worth bringing to Australia! You have already submitted a cost estimate request through our website so please check the reply to that in your email for more details and a full cost breakdown.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Can I take my Golf to Australia? I only bought the car in June last year. I am presuming this is a problem? it's a 60 plate and got less than 10k miles.

Hi Joseph,

The requirements under the Personal Import Scheme is that you must have owned and used the car overseas for at least 12 months before moving to live in Australia, so if you are not moving here until around June this year or later then it shouldn't be any trouble, however if you are moving to Australia before June then it's unlikely that you would get approval to bring the car unless you had a very good reason for needing to go sooner in which case we might be able to get a special administrator approval. Message me here or email at craig@ironladyimports.com if you needed to know more.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

HI Iron Chef

I didn't think about bringing my car over until I saw this post.

I have a Mazda 3 sport 2007, 60k miles, 2.0 litre engine, 6 speed with air con

worth around £4500 in uk

Wasn't sure on redbook.au - no 2 litre 6 sp version. Perhaps worth $11,700-$13,600??

Thanks

This car may be worthwhile importing depending on the exact specification and condition. The cost will vary a little depending on these things and also where you are moving to in Australia, but should be somwhere on the fence so I would put it in Category B.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

1. 2001 Suzuki Jimny (Aircon can be fitted). Very low mileage

2. £2500

3. $5,500-7,500

Thanks

Unfortunately this one would be a Category C so it would not be worthwhile bringing it with you just because of the costs involved, unless you were really attached to the car and the costs is not so much of a concern. If you still wanted to consider bringing it and were looking for a breakdown of the likely costs involved then please complete the cost estimate request form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

how strict are they with the 12 months, i bought my car in june last year looking at moving in may june time, so right on the cusp. its prob going in storage, but might take it if its worthwhile. and able to of course.

i have a 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STi type UK with Prodrive Performance Pack fitted, 38000 miles, Aircon, 6 speed. 220KW(305BHP) not the standard 195Kw

Paid £10k for it last year. a bit rich but has every scrap of history, low mileage, was 30k when i got it, and is in pristine nick. they are getting rare here in the uk, especially round my way, so will at least hold its value here

2003 WRX STi 195Kw with 150-250000 Kms , Red book says $13-16k trade in and $17-20K private.

Edited by S92LAME

Guest Guest67761
how strict are they with the 12 months, i bought my car in june last year looking at moving in may june time, so right on the cusp. its prob going in storage, but might take it if its worthwhile. and able to of course.

i have a 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STi type UK with Prodrive Performance Pack fitted, 38000 miles, Aircon, 6 speed. 220KW(305BHP) not the standard 195Kw

Paid £10k for it last year. a bit rich but has every scrap of history, low mileage, was 30k when i got it, and is in pristine nick. they are getting rare here in the uk, especially round my way, so will at least hold its value here

2003 WRX STi 195Kw with 150-250000 Kms , Red book says $13-16k trade in and $17-20K private.

They are very strict on the 12 months ownership and will almost never approve anyone earlier unless you have very good reason to leave for Australia sooner. We frequently see applications submitted early which are held and only approved once that 12 months anniversary has been reached. It's also worth mentioning again that you must own and use the car yourself outside Australia for the 12 months, so if you move to Australia after only 11 months and still own it for another month then it will not count. With that said I am happy to help put together the strongest application possible an submit it early to see what we can get through for you but there will be no guarantees.

As for the viability of bringing this car with you, it seems that you would want to hold onto it so on that basis alone it would most likely be worthwhile, otherwise from a purely financial point of view it should still be quite worthwhile due to the low mileage, above average condition and higher specification.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

I have a motor i may wish to take to australia with me can you tell me what you think:

year of manufacture -2008

- make, model & variant= honda cr-v es i-vtec

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)-estate

- engine size & fuel type 2.0/petrol

- transmission-manual

- drive type (4x4

- mileage-41,000

- any special features, options or modification-sport alloys

- does it have aircon-yes

- realistic current UK market value-£11,000 to £15,000

oz price approx $22,000?? not sure like for like model as they seem to different number maybe same model just use different numbers,also on some i see they are 2.4l one above is 2.0l

Also this is a going away gift from my parents,am i reading somewhere right i should have owned this car for past 12 months?So if its worth taking to oz,am i allowed to take this to oz

Hi could you advise us on the following car:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon - 2010 Peugeot 3008 2 litre HDI (150 bhp version),Exclusive (top of the range with aircon & panoramic roof), 38,000 miles, manual transmission

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!) - £10,000- £12,000

3) Market value in Australia - $25,100 - $27,900 (based on private price on red car - but not sure which model is comparable?), on second hand dealer sites it seems to have price tag of around $30,000 - $35,000

Thanks!

Guest Guest67761
golf mk 1 convertible

1.8 petrol

5 speed

100,000 miles

uk value £2,000

red brook value $3,450

private $3000-$7,500

cheers karl

Hi Karl,

Older models like this really depend on how good the condition of the car is and how much you are attached to it as well. If you were thinking of importing it to Australia to sell fairly soon and hoped to make a little more money than you would get back home then it might not be worthwhile unless it was a outstanding example, otherwise if you were looking to keep it for a while then it could be worth bringing with you. We would need to know all of the details before we could give a decent cost estimate, so please fill out the cost estimate request form on our website for more detailed information:

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thank you for you help Craig @ Iron Lady. Will think about contacting you about bringing it over. Can't wait to get to Adelaide!

I look forward to hearing from you soon and helping with the shipment if you choose to bring it along. You will love Adelaide, it's a really lovely city.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

I have a motor i may wish to take to australia with me can you tell me what you think:

year of manufacture -2008

- make, model & variant= honda cr-v es i-vtec

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)-estate

- engine size & fuel type 2.0/petrol

- transmission-manual

- drive type (4x4

- mileage-41,000

- any special features, options or modification-sport alloys

- does it have aircon-yes

- realistic current UK market value-£11,000 to £15,000

oz price approx $22,000?? not sure like for like model as they seem to different number maybe same model just use different numbers,also on some i see they are 2.4l one above is 2.0l

Also this is a going away gift from my parents,am i reading somewhere right i should have owned this car for past 12 months?So if its worth taking to oz,am i allowed to take this to oz

You must have owned and used the car yourself for at least 12 months prior to moving to Australia, however if the car has been in the family for more than 12 months, you have been insured to drive it, and the registered owner can give you a letter to state that this car was for your use over the past 12 months or more then it could be possible to get an import approval still. We would need to know more about the situation before I can advise further. Please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com with as much information as possible, including copy and pasting this conversation so I can see how we can help you further.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi could you advise us on the following car:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon - 2010 Peugeot 3008 2 litre HDI (150 bhp version),Exclusive (top of the range with aircon & panoramic roof), 38,000 miles, manual transmission

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!) - £10,000- £12,000

3) Market value in Australia - $25,100 - $27,900 (based on private price on red car - but not sure which model is comparable?), on second hand dealer sites it seems to have price tag of around $30,000 - $35,000

Thanks!

The cost of importing it and getting it on the road in Australia on top of the current value would have it owing you a little below the likely Australian market value but not a massive amount. It would quite likely be worth bringing if you were looking to keep if for a while otherwise if you wanted to sell it for a little extra value than it would be worth in the UK then it would be a borderline decision. If you wanted a breakdown of the costs involved and/or more information then please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate and include any additional comments or questions you might have.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Is it worth bringing out landrover?

Year 2009

Landrover Discovery 3 HSE

4x4 2.7 Diesel

Automatic

38,000 miles

Air Con

Value locally £25k

Red book value $86,590

MV $55k

Destination: Perth

Many thanks

Lou

Hi Lou,

Taking into account the total cost to import this vehicle including Australian compliance and road registration costs in Perth, and assuming you would be able to sell it in the UK for the full £25,000 then you would probably get slightly more value by bringing it to Australia but not by a massive amount. If you found that it was worth a little less in the UK in the end then it would be even better value to bring to Australia. If you wanted a detailed cost breakdown so you can see what would be involved then please complete the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi,

1989 325i Convertible

2.5L Petrol

Automatic

RWD

100000 miles (160000km)

No air-con (but a convertible!)

worth £4500 in the UK

Exact model isn't listed on red book but using an similar model and adding a thousand dollars for convertible $5-8000

Market value according to carsales.com.au is circa. $12000

Hi,

1989 325i Convertible

2.5L Petrol

Automatic

RWD

100000 miles (160000km)

worth £4500 in the UK

Exact model isn't listed on red book but using an similar model and adding a thousand dollars for convertible $5-8000

Sorry, I should add that I intend to keep the car for a very long time as a rare and appreciating classic. I also intend to slowly restore it which should also increase it's value somewhat (albeit not by a massive amount).

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

1989 325i Convertible

2.5L Petrol

Automatic

RWD

100000 miles (160000km)

worth £4500 in the UK

Considering you are looking to keep this car for a while then it would most likely be worth bringing with you to Australia. The cost to import it and get it on-road will vary a little depending on it's exact build date and which state you are moving to, etc. If it's late 1988 (we should be able to check from the VIN number if you private message me) then we have options of how to import it. Overall it should end up owing you just a little less than the replacement value here in Australia.

When were you looking at moving, how soon do we need to get the ball rolling on the process for you?

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info. The car build date is September 1989. We're just waiting for my partner to get his work transfer through (around April 2013) then we need to start planning the move. Will be in touch nearer the time! Thanks again.

Hi,

I found this while searching the web. Im looking to bring in my car from Dublin. I understand this is from southhampton but I can arrange to bring the car there.

I have owned the car for 2.5 years, would it be worth bringing it in?

BMW 1 Series 118D M-Sport

5-Door Hatchback

2.0L Diesel

Manual

Rear-Wheel Drive

55,000 miles

Optional alloy upgrade from factory

Aircon

UK Value £10,000No redbook value listed on site

No 2008 model or 2009 hatchbacks for sale on carsales.

Melbourne

Dear Craig,

I have asked my question before also but wa not able to get the precise answer as I didnt brought forward the full facts to you.

I have Mitsubishi Pajero, GLX, 6 Cylinder 3.5 liter engine petrol, Automatic with full options with so many things. It is a Left hand drive as I am in UAE right now. The price for new vehicle when I bought it in August 2012 was equivalent to AUS$ 35k.

The red book price for the same specification of car is AUS$ 74K ( I can have a range rover sports 2011 or lexsus 470 or any other highend vehicle in this amount in UAE as prices of vehicles seems more than double in OZ) that means almost double to UAE price.

You told me before that converting this car to RHD will take about AUS$ 10k so If as a permanent residence who is moving to OZ if I spent even 10k on conversion it will cost me half of the price then OZ. Please also note that conversion to RHD is relatively cheaper in UAE around AUS$ 5k.

What is your advice regarding converting it in UAE and bringing it to OZ or converting it in OZ but even with that I will be able to save around 20-30K.

The other option that I buy a 2nd hand RHD car which are available for export in UAE but I think I must own that car for one year before I can imprort it to OZ? or there is any exception or options available for permanent residence moving in OZ for first time?

I am insisting on bringing car from UAE because of very high prices of cars in OZ.

Hi Iron Chef, is it worth bringing my car over? Thank you, great thread! :0)

-year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Landrover Discovery 2.7 TDI HSE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

5door 4WD

- engine size & fuel type

2.7 v6 TDI

- transmission

Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

4WD

- mileage

seven seats, roof mounted DVD player factory fit, sat nat factory fit

- does it have aircon

YES

- realistic current UK market value

£12,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$35,000

$30,000

- which Australian state/city

QLD

Guest Guest67761
Dear Craig,

I have asked my question before also but wa not able to get the precise answer as I didnt brought forward the full facts to you.

I have Mitsubishi Pajero, GLX, 6 Cylinder 3.5 liter engine petrol, Automatic with full options with so many things. It is a Left hand drive as I am in UAE right now. The price for new vehicle when I bought it in August 2012 was equivalent to AUS$ 35k.

The red book price for the same specification of car is AUS$ 74K ( I can have a range rover sports 2011 or lexsus 470 or any other highend vehicle in this amount in UAE as prices of vehicles seems more than double in OZ) that means almost double to UAE price.

You told me before that converting this car to RHD will take about AUS$ 10k so If as a permanent residence who is moving to OZ if I spent even 10k on conversion it will cost me half of the price then OZ. Please also note that conversion to RHD is relatively cheaper in UAE around AUS$ 5k.

What is your advice regarding converting it in UAE and bringing it to OZ or converting it in OZ but even with that I will be able to save around 20-30K.

The other option that I buy a 2nd hand RHD car which are available for export in UAE but I think I must own that car for one year before I can imprort it to OZ? or there is any exception or options available for permanent residence moving in OZ for first time?

I am insisting on bringing car from UAE because of very high prices of cars in OZ.

If you buy another car and wanted to ship that to Australia instead then you would need to own and use it in UAE for at least 12 months, so this would not be an option unless you were moving to Australia in February 2014 or later. There is no special exemption for anyone moving to Australia.

It sounds like you have a good option to convert your existing car to RHD before shipping to Australia, but please make sure the conversion is good quality using original parts and you should be fine.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi,

I found this while searching the web. Im looking to bring in my car from Dublin. I understand this is from southhampton but I can arrange to bring the car there.

I have owned the car for 2.5 years, would it be worth bringing it in?

BMW 1 Series 118D M-Sport

5-Door Hatchback

2.0L Diesel

Manual

Rear-Wheel Drive

55,000 miles

Optional alloy upgrade from factory

Aircon

UK Value £10,000No redbook value listed on site

No 2008 model or 2009 hatchbacks for sale on carsales.

Melbourne

Based on the information provided I have done some quick calculations and it looks like this car would end up owing you a little less than it should be worth to buy a similar vehicle in Australia but not by a huge amount, so it would be worthwhile bringing with you if you are keen to do so otherwise if you preferred not to bring it then it would not be a massive financial loss either. I would put this in category B based on what we know so far.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Iron Chef, is it worth bringing my car over? Thank you, great thread! :0)

-year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Landrover Discovery 2.7 TDI HSE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

5door 4WD

- engine size & fuel type

2.7 v6 TDI

- transmission

Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

4WD

- mileage

seven seats, roof mounted DVD player factory fit, sat nat factory fit

- does it have aircon

YES

- realistic current UK market value

£12,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$35,000

$30,000

- which Australian state/city

QLD

The figures on this one stack up quite well so I would suggest that you look into importing it to Australia with you. It should end up owing you a decent amount less than what it would cost to replace here, so it should be an easy decision if you are in a position to bring it along. For more information or a breakdown of the likely costs involved please visit our website and will out the cost estimate request form at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate and I will be happy to do a full calculation for you.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports