Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

BMW 1series M Sport

70000 miles

uk price approx £7000

I would love to calculate the likely costs for you however I need more information about the car before I can do anything. It would be best if you fill out the cost estimate request form on our website:

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Once I know more then I can give you fairly accurate estimates and other possibly useful information.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hello , I will be moving to Australia in a year's time. I have a 61 plate 2011 Mercedes-Benz E class Estate, 5 dr Sport 125 Blue efficiency Diesel , 7 speed Automatic plus tiptronic transmission. Current Mileage 30,000 miles, estimated mileage in a year 45,000 miles. It has metallic paint, 17" alloys, half leather seats, 2 additional rear facing child seats, panoramic glass sunroof, COMMAND (sat nav,DVD/CD player,internet access), heated front seats, Aircon/climate control pack.

Estimated UK value £26,000

Australian redbook value Private sale range $66,400-72,400

Nearest available vehicle I have seen for sale privately for $69,900

Moving to Wollongong

Thanks for your thoughts!

Guest krissie goring

I had one

To much bother

i sold it in the uk

bought another once out here with in a few days

FEES insurance holdings shipping taxes...

most people dont bring cars over

I had one

To much bother

i sold it in the uk

bought another once out here with in a few days

FEES insurance holdings shipping taxes...

most people dont bring cars over

That is certainly one view point. However there are many people out there that would disagree. Yes, there are some cars that are not worth taking but there are many that are, to the point of being able to make quite a bit of money out of it (compared to selling in the UK and buying the same car in OZ).

And if you can't be bothered doing it yourself, just get IronladyImports to do it for you, simples!

Edited by Savitar

Guest Guest67761
Hello , I will be moving to Australia in a year's time. I have a 61 plate 2011 Mercedes-Benz E class Estate, 5 dr Sport 125 Blue efficiency Diesel , 7 speed Automatic plus tiptronic transmission. Current Mileage 30,000 miles, estimated mileage in a year 45,000 miles. It has metallic paint, 17" alloys, half leather seats, 2 additional rear facing child seats, panoramic glass sunroof, COMMAND (sat nav,DVD/CD player,internet access), heated front seats, Aircon/climate control pack.

Estimated UK value £26,000

Australian redbook value Private sale range $66,400-72,400

Nearest available vehicle I have seen for sale privately for $69,900

Moving to Wollongong

Thanks for your thoughts!

You should absolutely bring this car with you if possible. Even with NSW being the most expensive state to register a car it still works out that you would save around AUD$12,000 or more compared to buying the same car when you get here based on the estimated UK value you have provided.

If you wanted a more detailed breakdown of the costs involved and some additional information about the process then please fill out our cost estimate request form and I will be happy to answer any other questions you have at the same time so please feel free to ask!

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

That is certainly one view point. However there are many people out there that would disagree. Yes, there are some cars that are not worth taking but there are many that are, to the point of being able to make quite a bit of money out of it (compared to selling in the UK and buying the same car in OZ).

And if you can't be bothered doing it yourself, just get IronladyImports to do it for you, simples!

A good point and well made! :biggrin:

Guest Guest67761
How do I PM? There is no button? Thanks.

On the left hand side in the toolbar at the bottom of my post is a link "Send PM" however it's normally better to email anyway. My email address is craig@ironladyimports.com

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board and nearer moving time will get some more accurate figures etc,

I thought originally I wouldn't bother, but I didn't reckon on mercedes being so expensive in Australia and I do love the car which has been looked after and trouble free from new.Also we have bought the usual "kit" such as roof bars etc and had been thinking of having a towbar fitted until we knew we were moving ,when I thought it wouldn't be worth the expense anymore. Now we might go ahead and do it!

Hi

We are hoping to fly out to Victoria in October and initially we were going to try and sell our car here in the UK but now I am having second thoughts! I would like some advice on whether its worth shipping it and how much its going to cost please?

Its a 2012 BMW 1 series 116i sport 5 door hatch. Manual drive.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Guest67761
Hi

We are hoping to fly out to Victoria in October and initially we were going to try and sell our car here in the UK but now I am having second thoughts! I would like some advice on whether its worth shipping it and how much its going to cost please?

Its a 2012 BMW 1 series 116i sport 5 door hatch. Manual drive.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

We have received your request through the website and will reply to that shortly with a cost breakdown and more information. Please check your email soon and let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest67761
Hi, Please could you advise.

Details below:

1) 2004/Audi/A4/100,000/Aircon

2) £4000

3) $8500

Thanks.

We actually need to know a little more information before we can calculate an accurate cost estimate. Please fill out the form on our website by following this link and we will get back to you with costings and other useful information:

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi,

I wonder if you could help, I'm planning on buying a LR defender to bring with us when we move in 18 months.

2007/ Land Rover Defender 110/ 55000miles / aircon

2) £12000 to £20000 depending on spec, I'm planning on buying a reasonably high spec one.

3) $25,200 - $28,500

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

I wonder if you could help, I'm planning on buying a LR defender to bring with us when we move in 18 months.

2007/ Land Rover Defender 110/ 55000miles / aircon

2) £12000 to £20000 depending on spec, I'm planning on buying a reasonably high spec one.

3) $25,200 - $28,500

Hi Lee,

We received your request through the website for the Land Rover and also the Nissan Navara so you should have replies to them both there already. I hope the information provided helps with your research.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 1 month later...

Looking at bringing over a BMW520d to Aus, can anyone advise if you have a 20ft container is it possible for removal companies to use the space above the car for storage/boxes etc. Dont really need a 40ft container as we have little no furniture but have boxes of personal stuff etc. Car will take up most of the space on the flat so wondering do they stack over the car? Any advice appreciated if anyone has done this

Guest Guest67761
Looking at bringing over a BMW520d to Aus, can anyone advise if you have a 20ft container is it possible for removal companies to use the space above the car for storage/boxes etc. Dont really need a 40ft container as we have little no furniture but have boxes of personal stuff etc. Car will take up most of the space on the flat so wondering do they stack over the car? Any advice appreciated if anyone has done this

Most removals companies will do exactly what you are thinking about. Usually they would build a platform to load additional items around and above the car. You should call a few removals companies for more information.

If you ship with a removals company we can still help you with the process as normal as we have worked with most of them in the past. We can assist with the import approval paperwork before you ship the car, then once it arrives we will take over with the process again.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest67761
My 2004 BMW 320 diesel sport landed in oz on wednes customs are sayin the gst is goin to be $4000 is this very unreasonable!!!??? That would mean they think the value is $40000 I havn seen a 2004 advertised here for more than $15000 what's the likelihood of challenging them on this and winning??!!

Assuming this has been imported under the Personal Import Scheme then it would need to have an independent valuation done to determine the value. Random valuers can give wildly varying figures which is why we arrange favorable valuations for our clients. I can't comment on your situation specifically unless I know more about the costs they are claiming to confirm if that $4,000 is just GST or if that also includes other Customs charges, import duty etc. If the value they are using is too high then you should be able to challenge it with a new valuation depending on how far through the process is currently.

Without knowing all of the information and details of the vehicle I have done some quick rough calculations, and I would estimate that your entire Customs bill (including port fees, Quarantine costs, cleaning if necessary, import duty and GST) should be under $2,500 if shipped by RORO (roll-on/roll-off), under $3,500 if shipped by sole use container for just this one car, or somewhere in between if it was included in a container shipment with household goods. I calculate the GST component alone to be $500 or less.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Assuming this has been imported under the Personal Import Scheme then it would need to have an independent valuation done to determine the value. Random valuers can give wildly varying figures which is why we arrange favorable valuations for our clients. I can't comment on your situation specifically unless I know more about the costs they are claiming to confirm if that $4,000 is just GST or if that also includes other Customs charges, import duty etc. If the value they are using is too high then you should be able to challenge it with a new valuation depending on how far through the process is currently.

Without knowing all of the information and details of the vehicle I have done some quick rough calculations, and I would estimate that your entire Customs bill (including port fees, Quarantine costs, cleaning if necessary, import duty and GST) should be under $2,500 if shipped by RORO (roll-on/roll-off), under $3,500 if shipped by sole use container for just this one car, or somewhere in between if it was included in a container shipment with household goods. I calculate the GST component alone to be $500 or less.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Craig

thanks for replyin I took them up wrong there valuing the car at 4000$. So I'm paying duty on that phew....

Regards

brenda

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

thanks for replyin I took them up wrong there valuing the car at 4000$. So I'm paying duty on that phew....

Regards

brenda

Hi Brenda,

That is much more like it, so you should end up paying around $200 for import duty (5% of value) and around $500 for GST (10% of value + ocean freight + insurance + import duty) which is just a little more than I worked out but close enough.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 3 weeks later...