Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

hi we are new to the whole car shipping over and dont really know much about it yet.

basically we have a 56 reg citroen picasso with aircon and 45k on the clock so think its worthwhile taking over. its worth about £3200 and a lot more in australia. ive just seen the ironlady website but wanting to know all costs involved in shipping car over, ive heard a few scare stories of people beng quoted cheap then getting hit with large costs over there so just wondering is there a rough breakdown of costs from start to fin,

i.e car shipping

export tax

mew driving licenses

insurance etc etc

import tax etc

help much appreciated.

iron lady has lots of good reviews so looking into them currently

also we was thinking of sending over a move cube or 2 with our furniture which for 2 movecubes was working out around 2k english pounds so wondering if its cheaper to send car and furniture over together or just as cheap seperate

• 1 month later...
Guest Asim Safdar

Hi Craig,

i was wondering if you can help. Am in 2 minds whether to bring my

Honda Accord 2.2 iCTDi diesel, manual, 52,000 miles on clock, registered June 2007.

have been offered full price of £6200 here

Sat Nav, hands free blue tooth, sunroof, leather heated seats etc. has the toys.

not released in oz as a diesel but has no DPF so the diesel in oz I hear shud be ok and Honda Brisbane say they can service it fine.

Full honda service history here.

would really like to take it across but what do you advise?

what category is it etc?

instead of RO RO I heard there is another method called the R-RAK system with three cars in a container each sealed off with metal plat... Do you use this?

can you give an idea of costs to take as I am going in abt three weeks... Just awaiting visa but am a doctor so hope should be ok?

As an import and a diesel will this be a car I cans sell ok in future or not worth bringing?

As a personal import, will it be subject to import taxes as I hear you should be able to bring custom free?

Will also email this..

thanks. Asim

Guest Asim Safdar

PS. Diff to give oz estimate as they didn't have the diesel but petrol ones called Acccord Euro of same yr are going for 15-18,000 AUD and you'd assume a diesel costs more. But it may be less as ppl seem wary of imports..

has air con. Recently re gassed by Honda.

My apologies everyone, I'm moving house in a few days, so as you can no doubt appreciate, it's all getting a bit hectic! (Mind you, my move is only about 5km, so nothing like moving to the other side of the world!)

Hi Iron Chef,

1) 2009 Volvo XC90 45000 miles aircon

2) UK value £20000

3) AUS value $38100

If you can truly get GBP20K for it over there, then I'd consider taking it rather than sending it over. Don't be surprised if the market is even harder there than you expect.

hi we are new to the whole car shipping over and dont really know much about it yet.

basically we have a 56 reg citroen picasso with aircon and 45k on the clock so think its worthwhile taking over. its worth about £3200 and a lot more in australia. ive just seen the ironlady website but wanting to know all costs involved in shipping car over, ive heard a few scare stories of people beng quoted cheap then getting hit with large costs over there so just wondering is there a rough breakdown of costs from start to fin,

i.e car shipping

export tax

mew driving licenses

insurance etc etc

import tax etc

help much appreciated.

iron lady has lots of good reviews so looking into them currently

Have you been in touch with us via the website yet? If not, send me a PM on here and I'll chase up some numbers for you.

also we was thinking of sending over a move cube or 2 with our furniture which for 2 movecubes was working out around 2k english pounds so wondering if its cheaper to send car and furniture over together or just as cheap seperate

Six and half a dozen - it's often easier to send the car separately so that if there are any dramas with either, the other isn't affected.

Hi Craig,

i was wondering if you can help. Am in 2 minds whether to bring my

Honda Accord 2.2 iCTDi diesel, manual, 52,000 miles on clock, registered June 2007.

have been offered full price of £6200 here

Sat Nav, hands free blue tooth, sunroof, leather heated seats etc. has the toys.

not released in oz as a diesel but has no DPF so the diesel in oz I hear shud be ok and Honda Brisbane say they can service it fine.

Full honda service history here.

would really like to take it across but what do you advise?

what category is it etc?

instead of RO RO I heard there is another method called the R-RAK system with three cars in a container each sealed off with metal plat... Do you use this?

can you give an idea of costs to take as I am going in abt three weeks... Just awaiting visa but am a doctor so hope should be ok?

As an import and a diesel will this be a car I cans sell ok in future or not worth bringing?

As a personal import, will it be subject to import taxes as I hear you should be able to bring custom free?

Will also email this..

thanks. Asim

Asim, likewise if you haven't received a reply to your email, please let me know :) I'd be inclined to bring it over, personally. You will still need to pay taxes on it, regardless of it being a personal import.

PS. Diff to give oz estimate as they didn't have the diesel but petrol ones called Acccord Euro of same yr are going for 15-18,000 AUD and you'd assume a diesel costs more. But it may be less as ppl seem wary of imports..

has air con. Recently re gassed by Honda.

I actually think being a diesel will hold appeal in some sections of the market here, hence my earlier comment.

Hi

Ours is a Volkswagen Golf SE, 1.9 Diesel, 5 Manual, with Air Con, 2004, 48000 Miles on the clock,UK Price approx £4500 Private Price Guide $7300, Oz Market Value $13999

What do you think? Owned from new

Low mileage helps its cause. Only bring it if you're attached to it and it has treated you well so far!

Hello Iron chef - no rush on this one, just a feeler query. Also how long do you have to keep cars before you can sell, is it a year?

Many thanks and good luck with your move!

2009 - year of manufacture

BMW 335i M sport highline - make, model & variant

Coupe - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

3.0 twin turbo petrol - engine size & fuel type

Dual clutch automatic - transmission

RWD - drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

66,000 miles - mileage

Individual BMW paint and leather, full BMW professional satnav system, TV, DAB radio, individual audio with 16 speakers, rear blind, universal remote control, lumbar support and heated seats, front and rear park control, climate comfort windscreen, comfort access - any special features, options or modification

Yes - does it have aircon

£17,000 - realistic current UK market value

$107,000 - $129,300- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$50-75,000 - Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Queensland/Brisbane - which Australian state/city

Hello Iron chef - no rush on this one, just a feeler query. Also how long do you have to keep cars before you can sell, is it a year?

When it clears customs and is registered for use on the roads. There's no restriction on a sell date.

My apologies everyone, I'm moving house in a few days, so as you can no doubt appreciate, it's all getting a bit hectic! (Mind you, my move is only about 5km, so nothing like moving to the other side of the world!)

If you can truly get GBP20K for it over there, then I'd consider taking it rather than sending it over. Don't be surprised if the market is even harder there than you expect.

Thanks Iron Chef, at what UK value would you recommend bringing it over rather than selling?

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest67761
When it clears customs and is registered for use on the roads. There's no restriction on a sell date.

That is correct, in fact you could sell it before it's road registered as long as the new owner has a receipt from you when they go to get it registered.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761

Many thanks and good luck with your move!

2009 - year of manufacture

BMW 335i M sport highline - make, model & variant

Coupe - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

3.0 twin turbo petrol - engine size & fuel type

Dual clutch automatic - transmission

RWD - drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

66,000 miles - mileage

Individual BMW paint and leather, full BMW professional satnav system, TV, DAB radio, individual audio with 16 speakers, rear blind, universal remote control, lumbar support and heated seats, front and rear park control, climate comfort windscreen, comfort access - any special features, options or modification

Yes - does it have aircon

£17,000 - realistic current UK market value

$107,000 - $129,300- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$50-75,000 - Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Queensland/Brisbane - which Australian state/city

You must own and use the car for a year before you can get approval to bring it to Australian under the Personal Import Scheme, then once it gets here there is no restriction on how soon you can sell it if you choose.

Based on the information provided this one would easily be a category A .. bring it with you for sure.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Craig

I've been on the site and submitted an inquiry. I have a 2005 (Dec) BMW 520d se. 118k miles. The car was damaged and repaired a few years back (all front panels, bonnet, bumper,lights replaced) and there is now an ugly looking weld in the engine bay. It's passed the MOT every year no problem, so can't be dangerous (I think)!

I'm worried that the weld may exclude me from passing the roadworthy test in oz. Any ideas?

BTW, these cars are so common here now I'd be lucky to get £2,500 for it. They didn't sell them in Oz until 2007/8, so can't get an accurate price but the 2008's are going for upwards of $AUD 24,000

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

I've been on the site and submitted an inquiry. I have a 2005 (Dec) BMW 520d se. 118k miles. The car was damaged and repaired a few years back (all front panels, bonnet, bumper,lights replaced) and there is now an ugly looking weld in the engine bay. It's passed the MOT every year no problem, so can't be dangerous (I think)!

I'm worried that the weld may exclude me from passing the roadworthy test in oz. Any ideas?

BTW, these cars are so common here now I'd be lucky to get £2,500 for it. They didn't sell them in Oz until 2007/8, so can't get an accurate price but the 2008's are going for upwards of $AUD 24,000

Good morning,

I have replied to your request from our website so please check your email and let me know if you have any other questions.

For anyone else reading, if you have a car with problems that you are concerned might be an issue in Australia then please send us photos which show the problems as clearly as possible so we can give you further information.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Audi RS6, 4WD, Auto, Estate, 55000 miles, Air con.

Uk price £30000

Aus Price $124000

Redbook $100000

Heading to Melbourne

Can I apply for Approval to Import prior to a years ownership but with a move date of greater than 1 year of ownership?

Eg.

Buy the car now,

Apply in say Jan 15 with move date of mid May 15.

Fyi, my wife and children are Aus citizens so I'm heading out on a spouse visa.

Thanks a lot.

Tom

Edited by Tomthepom1

Guest teetee
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Hi, could you please let me know more about our car...

2007- year of manufacture

Jaguar X-Type V6 SE AUTO- make, model & variant

4 Door Saloon- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

2495CC V6 Unleaded regular- engine size & fuel type

Auto - transmission

AWD?- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

72000- mileage

Sat nav standard- any special features, options or modification

Yes- does it have aircon

£6000- realistic current UK market value

$16000 - 17500- Australian RedBook value (http://www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Gold Coast- which Australian state/city

We're having to leave London to go to Aus in a month.... dont mind when the car goes..... preferably in the shipping container on the day when we go.

Thanks in advance!

TT

Guest Guest67761
Hiya.

$ 48K AUD

RANGE ROVER SPORT

4X4

3.6 V8 DIESEL

AUTO

90K MILES

AIRCON YES ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL EXTRA

UK VALUE £ 18K

REGARDS

NEIL

Hi Neil,

This would most likely be worthwhile bringing with you. Range Rovers usually work out to be a good option. If you want a more detailed cost breakdown then please complete the cost estimate request form on our website:

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Audi RS6, 4WD, Auto, Estate, 55000 miles, Air con.

Uk price £30000

Aus Price $124000

Redbook $100000

Heading to Melbourne

Can I apply for Approval to Import prior to a years ownership but with a move date of greater than 1 year of ownership?

Eg.

Buy the car now,

Apply in say Jan 15 with move date of mid May 15.

Fyi, my wife and children are Aus citizens so I'm heading out on a spouse visa.

Thanks a lot.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I don't even need to do any calculations on this one because the Audi RS6 is a no brainer, you should absolutely bring this car with you.

You can't apply for the import approval until you have met the 12 months ownership as this is one of the main criteria and they are not likely to bend the rules unless you have an exceptional reason for applying sooner.

If you want to know more you can always email me at craig@ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi, could you please let me know more about our car...

2007- year of manufacture

Jaguar X-Type V6 SE AUTO- make, model & variant

4 Door Saloon- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

2495CC V6 Unleaded regular- engine size & fuel type

Auto - transmission

AWD?- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

72000- mileage

Sat nav standard- any special features, options or modification

Yes- does it have aircon

£6000- realistic current UK market value

$16000 - 17500- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

Gold Coast- which Australian state/city

We're having to leave London to go to Aus in a month.... dont mind when the car goes..... preferably in the shipping container on the day when we go.

Thanks in advance!

TT

This one could be borderline depending on the exact vehicle, shipping method chosen, etc so I would like to do some further calculations to give you a better idea. Please fill out the form on our website with as much information as possible so I can get back to you with a more detailed reply based on your exact situation.

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hello craig do you do costs and is it worth it from oz to the uk.i have a awd Holden adventra 5.7 v8 all leather,DVD ,sat nav electric everything.i see on auto trader uk the few Holden v8s are quite pricey what are your thoughts.

We can get quotes for you to ship from Australia to the UK. Most people don't bother because cars are generally much cheaper in the UK than here, however if you are looking at taking something that is not common up there then it could be worthwhile. Please email me details to craig@ironladyimports.com including where in Australia you are shipping from, how long you have owned the car, what it cost to buy and/or what it's worth currently.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports