Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

could I have a rough guide to bring it over?

we are looking at putting it in a 40ft and packing around it as opposed to RORO.

have moved lots of times but never with a vehicle, I realise how greedy the Aussie government can be over most things

Fire an email off to us via the website and we can get some figures through to you. And yes, the governments at federal and state level certainly take their pound of flesh...

Hi, please could you let me know if my car is worth bringing from the UK to Melbourne?

Mercedes C320 coupe

3.2litre petrol

Automatic

Has air con

70,000 miles

Approx £4k in Uk

Approx $20 in Australia

Thank you!

At those figures, yes it's definitely worth doing.

Hi,

Would it make sense to personally import a recent RHD Alpina (possibly ex-Japan) or would the parts issue make it an "orphan" ?

Cheers

As mentioned, it would need to be owned overseas for 12 months to be eligible, otherwise built prior to 1989. There are SOME Alpinas still floating around in Japan but they're almost all LHD, make registration problematic in some states. Alpina parts aren't overly difficult to find in Australia, but expect to pay good money for them.

year of manufacture - 2010

make, model & variant - Renault Grand Scenic 1.6 TDI

body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - toure

Fuel and engine capacity - 1.6 Diesel

transmission - Manual

drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - front WD

mileage - 35,000miles

any special features, options or modification - none

does it have aircon - Yes

realistic current UK market value - 6,000

Australian RedBook value - $12,600 to $15,000

Australian market value - $16,000

which Australian state/city - Melbobourn

Given the additional costs getting the car out of Belfast, I'd advise selling it unless you have a particular love for the car.

As mentioned, it would need to be owned overseas for 12 months to be eligible, otherwise built prior to 1989. There are SOME Alpinas still floating around in Japan but they're almost all LHD, make registration problematic in some states. Alpina parts aren't overly difficult to find in Australia, but expect to pay good money for them.

Actually, getting a RHD Alpina in Japan is now a lot easier than it used to be. The first RHD Alpina imports were E46 chassis i believe - a friend owned one (B3 3.3) and it was a hard find at that time. A quick look on goo-net today gets you over a dozen RHD Alpinas offered throughout Japan, out of a total of nearly 100. And they are offered new in either RHD or LHD. Of course that does not make them available to import in Australia, though it could be planned ahead if given enough lead time to a potential migrant.

Cheers all

Edited by nsa

If you're looking at late model (ie in the last 5 years) then your chances of getting ANY European car are vastly improved, for sure. Most European manufacturers have been offering their cars LHD or RHD for at least the last 25 years, but the overwhelming preference has been for LHD (a legacy of post-WW2, when it was considered prestigious to drive LHD American cars that came to Japan courtesy of their armed forces). Thankfully common sense has started to prevail in recent years as owners start to realise how painful LHD is for things like overtaking and going through toll booths...

One issue with RHD though is the pedals placement, especially on cars where the front axle is near the cockpit (any compact, but also many middle or rear-engined cars like Porsche): the accel pedal ends up being in the middle of the foot well, with no knee support for the right leg. For that reason alone i've come to think LHD is the best car-driver positioning. This is not an issue with RHD larger cars or with front engine sports cars (RX7, S2000) where they placed the front axle way ahead to improve balance.

I've driven both RHD and LHD in Tokyo and there was nearly no difference in such traffic condition. I think some buyers in Japan prefer a LHD european car because that's the way it was originally designed and the switch to RHD is not always complete, ie center consoles unchanged (BMW swaps them left-right, not Audi, for example), winker stalk staying on the left side of the column making it difficult to operate both winker and gear lever from the left hand. Some also say that in narrow Japanese streets, being in a LHD car allows to go closer to the wall - same reason trucks in some continental european countries are being operated RHD (i think i saw that in Italy ?).

Hi, details are: -

year of manufacture - 2009

make, model & variant - Mercedes ML350, Sport CDI

body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - SUV

Fuel and engine capacity - 2987cc Diesel

transmission - Automatic

drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - 4WD

mileage - 60,000miles

realistic current UK market value - £16,000

Australian RedBook value - $90,000 to $96,000?!

Australian market value - ?

which Australian state/city - Sydney

Hi, details are: -

year of manufacture - 2009

make, model & variant - Mercedes ML350, Sport CDI

body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - SUV

Fuel and engine capacity - 2987cc Diesel

transmission - Automatic

drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - 4WD

mileage - 60,000miles

realistic current UK market value - £16,000

Australian RedBook value - $90,000 to $96,000?!

Australian market value - ?

which Australian state/city - Sydney

Welcome Mike, the Redbook value you have there is probably the price they were when sold new, but that sort of car is a fairly safe bet. Visit our site and send us an email to confirm pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Lady. Hoping you can help us to decide whether or not to take our car to Melbourne. Details :

Year - 2009

Make/Model - BMW 320i SE

Body Type - Convertible

Fuel - 2.0 Petrol

Transmission -Automatic

Mileage 19,000

Special features - sat nav

Aircon - yes

UK Glass value - £13-15k

Redbook value - 320i Convertible not listed but 325i Convertible is $40-44k

Hi I am wondering if its worth bringing my car. Its a 2004 Mercedes C180 Kompressor coupe. Its a petrol manual and the mileage is 184000 kms. It has panoramic sunroof leather interior but no aircon. I will be moving to Perth. The current value here would be approximately 4000 private sale.

Hi I am wondering if its worth bringing my car. Its a 2004 Mercedes C180 Kompressor coupe. Its a petrol manual and the mileage is 184000 kms. It has panoramic sunroof leather interior but no aircon. I will be moving to Perth. The current value here would be approximately 4000 private sale.

If your car has no air con and you are moving to Perth, forget about bringing it over. A car in Oz with no aircon is useless, nobody will buy it when you want to sell it and during your first summer in Perth with 40degree temps you will be begging for an air conditioned car.

• 3 weeks later...
hi hope you help iron lady, my car is a nissan pathfinder, 2007 sept, adventura diesel air con 6 speed manual, 47,000 miles,, uk value £9 to 12k oz value 19to23k

Hi eggy, welcome to the forums! ON paper that looks like it's worth doing, probably more a category 'B' than 'A' but yes, give it some thought if you're happy with it.

Hi Iron Lady. Hoping you can help us to decide whether or not to take our car to Melbourne. Details :

Year - 2009

Make/Model - BMW 320i SE

Body Type - Convertible

Fuel - 2.0 Petrol

Transmission -Automatic

Mileage 19,000

Special features - sat nav

Aircon - yes

UK Glass value - £13-15k

Redbook value - 320i Convertible not listed but 325i Convertible is $40-44k

That's a category A.

Without aircon, it's not worth the hassle. The first summer you hit and you'll be forever regretting it!

This is probably a silly question, but is there any point in considering taking an Australian car over to the UK (and do you arrange that?).

Our Lancer is 5 years old but very low km and if we were staying in Australia, we'd probably keep it for another 5 years.

We send cars back to the UK for customers quite regularly, but there are very very few cars that will make sense financially. If you're happy with it and want to keep it, sure we can help, but bear in mind it will be cheaper to sell it and buy another back in the UK.

If your car has no air con and you are moving to Perth, forget about bringing it over. A car in Oz with no aircon is useless, nobody will buy it when you want to sell it and during your first summer in Perth with 40degree temps you will be begging for an air conditioned car.

^^lol great minds...I didn't actually read that response until just now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, is it worth bringing mine?

- year of manufacture 2010

- make, model & variant Skoda Roomster

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) 5-door

- engine size & fuel type 1.2 TSI 105 petrol

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage 11,000

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have zircon - yes

- realistic current UK market value - £5000

I couldn't get the following info as the websites don't appear to be working.

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Hi, is it worth bringing mine?

- year of manufacture 2010

- make, model & variant Skoda Roomster

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) 5-door

- engine size & fuel type 1.2 TSI 105 petrol

- transmission Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage 11,000

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have zircon - yes

- realistic current UK market value - £5000

I couldn't get the following info as the websites don't appear to be working.

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Unless you truly love it, I recommend leaving it behind. There's a strong Skoda fan base here, but not strong enough to make an early model Roomster appealing to a collector sadly. Good to know yours has zircon though ;)

Land Rover Discovery 3, 2005 Diesel, 65K miles, UK £10,000, AUS $50,000.

Going top Perth, has air con , but is black with black leather.... ouch

I have a black on black car, it's ok as long as the aircon is working! I suspect the values in Aus are a little lower than what you've listed, but still worth considering bringing it over if you're happy with it.

Mercedes a180 blue efficiency petrol air con £18000 oz $29000

worth shipping?

Not from a financial perspective, unfortunately. Smaller premium vehicles have slimmer margins and therefore don't always make good sense to import.

hi

Is it worth bringing this car

BMW X5 SE

5 door automatic

4x4

Diesel

32000 milesHigh spec panoramic sun roof, full leather, 20 inch alloys, on board computer, hif I etc

Air con

value in UK around £24,ooo

think it's worth around 55 - 60000 AUD

We would ship it with our furniture in a 40ft container.

Hoping to get my partner visa in February and come to Australia as soon as possible after that. Trying to work out whether it is worth shipping my car.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Zetec 3 door with air-con bought July 2013 and in good condition with 8000 miles. Bought for £13000. Looks as though I could sell for £8500 to £9000 in UK.

EcoBoost engine is Ford's fuel efficient 3 cylinder engine. Currently the only Australian model with this engine is a Sports Fiesta released about a year ago costing around A$20000 second hand.

Would like to keep the fuel efficiency if the economics for shipping work out, rather than go for a similar spec normal engine e.g. Ambient version, which seems to be available for around A$16000.

Resale value not really an issue as would plan to keep the car for many years.

I assume that if Ford are selling a car with that type of engine in Australia that servicing would not be an issue?

Any advice and guidance welcome.

Edited by datstheone
Added another comment

hi

Is it worth bringing this car

BMW X5 SE

5 door automatic

4x4

Diesel

32000 milesHigh spec panoramic sun roof, full leather, 20 inch alloys, on board computer, hif I etc

Air con

value in UK around £24,ooo

think it's worth around 55 - 60000 AUD

We would ship it with our furniture in a 40ft container.

That's a category A, quite safely. Let me know if you want to sell it cheap ;)