Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Craig, I was wondering if you can help me. I will be migrating to Melbourne in a years' time. I want to buy 'all new Range rover sport' HSE SDV6 model. It costs about £61250 new here & $137000 in Melbourne. I know about 12 months rule so will keep the car for 12 months here before bringing it over. I don't know how much it will cost in 1 years' time. But looking at parkers.co.uk review it costs about £48000 after 1 year. Would you be able to give me an approx cost of importing to Australia and whether it's worth buying the car here or should I wait till I come to Austrlia. Thanks.

Dear Craig, I was wondering if you can help me. I will be migrating to Melbourne in a years' time. I want to buy 'all new Range rover sport' HSE SDV6 model. It costs about £61250 new here & $137000 in Melbourne. I know about 12 months rule so will keep the car for 12 months here before bringing it over. I don't know how much it will cost in 1 years' time. But looking at parkers.co.uk review it costs about £48000 after 1 year. Would you be able to give me an approx cost of importing to Australia and whether it's worth buying the car here or should I wait till I come to Austrlia. Thanks.

Hi there, just send an email via our website so we can get all the details we need - http://ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate/

Hi Iron Lady, appreciate your input on this:

1. Peugeot 407 2.0HDI sw diesel estate 2005 with air con 130,000 miles, 2 owners

2. UK approx £1800

3.Red book au suggests $8000

Many thanks

Based on the figures you've given it would be a break-even prospect in terms of cost. Bring it over only if you love it :)

Hi looking at bringing my car, would appreciate your advice;

mazda 3 mps

2.3l 20,000 miles

satnav Bluetooth reverse sensors aircon half leather adaptive h/lights lane assist

uk price £11500

aus price £25000

Would also love to bring my bike.? Do you offer same advice for bikes?

Kawasaki zx6r

8000 miles

uk £5500

aus £ 9000

thanks for any help.

bones

Guest Guest67761

mazda 3 mps

2.3l 20,000 miles

satnav Bluetooth reverse sensors aircon half leather adaptive h/lights lane assist

uk price £11500

aus price £25000

Kawasaki zx6r

8000 miles

uk £5500

aus £ 9000

thanks for any help.

bones

It's likely that the Mazda 3 would end up owing you around the same as it would be worth here in Australia, so you could bring it if you wanted to keep it otherwise leaving it behind would be no great loss as long as you can sell it for a reasonable price. Of course if you can fit the car in the same container as your household goods without the need to increase to a larger container then that would reduce costs and probably make it more worthwhile. Happy to help with the bike also and the same applies with regards to the container space.

Regards,

Craig

Hello,

I'd really appreciate your advice on whether or not it's worth bringing our car; the details are:

Year: 2009

Make: Citroen

Model: Grand C4 Picasso

Variant: HDi VTR+ EGS

Body: MPV/Estate

Engine: 1.6

Fuel: Diesel

Transmission: Automatic

Mileage: 33,000

Aircon: Yes!

UK market value: £6,500

Australian redbook & market values: difficult to tell as both only have 2014 models which seem to go for $45,000 to $50,000

City: Melbourne

Thank you!

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Hi BMW 320i se saloon

2002 65000 miles on clock,

manual, aircon,

2.2 petrol

going to perth

£2500 uk value, $7800 Aus value

Guest Spacehopper

Heading back in six months 1 x Australian Citizen (dual Citz w UK). Been working in the UK for 3 years. Owned car since July 2011.

Is it worth shipping? Can you give approx. cost to ship? Thanks!

Year: 2011

Make: VW

Model: Golf Match TSI

Variant: 5 Door Hatchback

Engine: 1390cc

Fuel: Petrol

Transmission: Manual

Mileage: 8000

Aircon: Yes

UK market value: £11000 (not accounting for low mileage)

Australian redbook & market values: Can't find this model (Match) on there

City: Sydney or Brisbane

Heading back in six months 1 x Australian Citizen (dual Citz w UK). Been working in the UK for 3 years. Owned car since July 2011.

Is it worth shipping? Can you give approx. cost to ship? Thanks!

Year: 2011

Make: VW

Model: Golf Match TSI

Variant: 5 Door Hatchback

Engine: 1390cc

Fuel: Petrol

Transmission: Manual

Mileage: 8000

Aircon: Yes

UK market value: £11000 (not accounting for low mileage)

Australian redbook & market values: Can't find this model (Match) on there

City: Sydney or Brisbane

You have to be careful with this. I bought a 2011 (MY2012) golf TSI 118 (comfortline spec, the top of the line here is high line but they are almost non existant, this one was supercharged and turbo charged) with 21,000 KM on it for $18,700 on the road, and that was nearly a year ago. This was also the DSG. In OZ, you almost can't get manual cars in things like golfs, aussies just drive autos so resell will be hard.

I have not heard of the "match" variation but as the one I bought was very well spec'ed.

Here is the clincher, its going to cost you probably 4000 pounds import / transport etc costs. Assuming you could sell it for 11,000, thats 15K to play with in OZ, or around $25,000. If you take a look at carsales, you can get VERY nice golfs for way less that this :

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2011/SSE-AD-2856173/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2012/SSE-AD-2787981/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2013/AGC-AD-15634275/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1

That last one is a latest model 2013, 4000 miles and only $23K.

Take into account that your car will not have a warranty, it WAY harder to sell on (OZ people don't like imports) and the versions here will have all of this, you will (probably) have to wait 1-3 months in OZ for it to arrive so need to organise interim transport for then, I think there is little value in bringing your car....my opinion anyway....

Hi BMW 320i se saloon

manual, aircon,

2.2 petrol

going to perth

Given the minimum cost of import is 2,500 pounds, if you were to sell yours now and that you would have more to spend than the value of these cars in OZ. You have to realise also that in OZ imported cars are around 30% less value at time of sale, so its probably only worth $5,000 to sell as is. My view, its not worth it..you will be better off financially selling in the UK and buying fresh in OZ.

Guest Spacehopper
You have to be careful with this. I bought a 2011 (MY2012) golf TSI 118 (comfortline spec, the top of the line here is high line but they are almost non existant, this one was supercharged and turbo charged) with 21,000 KM on it for $18,700 on the road, and that was nearly a year ago. This was also the DSG. In OZ, you almost can't get manual cars in things like golfs, aussies just drive autos so resell will be hard.

Thanks for your opinion Savitar, much appreciated.

My apologies guys, I'm completely swamped with work at the moment - Craig is no longer working for Iron Lady Imports and I've taken over his work whilst also trying to train up someone new!

Hi,

Would you be kind enough to let me know if it is worth shipping my car.

Year of man 2007

BMW 1 series 118i SE 5 Door

Unleaded

28000 miles

Aircon Yes

UK value £8000

Redbook value $16000

Private $17000

Perth

thanks

Smack on category B with the figures you've given, but the low mileage compared to Aussie models would make it worth bringing.

Hi BMW 320i se saloon

manual, aircon,

2.2 petrol

going to perth

Category C, sorry - if you love it, sure, but otherwise leave it behind.

mazda 3 mps

2.3l 20,000 miles

uk price £11500

aus price £25000

Kawasaki zx6r

8000 miles

uk £5500

aus £ 9000

thanks for any help.

bones

The bike is worth a look if you're bringing over personal effects and can pack it into the container, for sure. The MPS is a category B, surprisingly. I thought it might have done better. Not many of them here though, so if you like it, it might be worth considering.

Hi there,

What happened to Craig? Is he setting up a separate company?

Please don't take it the wrong way and no offence intended, but it seems Craig had all the know how and experience. So just wondering what credentials and experience do you have as the new Iron chef ?

Regards,

Hi there,

What happened to Craig? Is he setting up a separate company?

Please don't take it the wrong way and no offence intended, but it seems Craig had all the know how and experience. So just wondering what credentials and experience do you have as the new Iron chef ?

Regards,

Excuse me having a slight giggle - I own the company and was Craig's boss.

My username is Iron Chef because the first business I started was Iron Chef Imports, 15 years ago (ironically, the business was named after my username, rather than the other way around). Iron Lady Imports came about as an offshoot to the original business back in 2012-ish because I was starting to get swamped with enquiries from PIO, and ICI didn't really have the information required to meet the needs of those bringing their cars from the UK. The workload for both companies became too much for me to handle, and so I employed Craig at the time. Craig's departure from Iron Lady was not an amicable split, sadly.

Whoops...:wideeyed:

Reading the threads, it seemed like Craig was the voice and experience of Iron Imports, and was under the impression you were an apprentice of his taking over his business...LOL, your giggle is permitted. :wink:

My Apologies.

Hi great thread! Cant believe youve been going for 2 years :wink:

Righto - we've just bought a car on hire purchase which ends 2018 :mad: THEN we made the decision a week later we were restarting our emigrating plan to move on 457 with me as a nurse and never coming back! bad planning.

Citroen Xara Picasso Desire 2005

Bought here this month for £4000 (finance plan will make it 5500)

Diesel 55000 miles on clock

digital speedometer

aussie site says its worth $23000

what do you think? not sure how ill get rid of it?

thanks in advance

Hi great thread! Cant believe youve been going for 2 years :wink:

Righto - we've just bought a car on hire purchase which ends 2018 :mad: THEN we made the decision a week later we were restarting our emigrating plan to move on 457 with me as a nurse and never coming back! bad planning.

Citroen Xara Picasso Desire 2005

Bought here this month for £4000 (finance plan will make it 5500)

Diesel 55000 miles on clock

digital speedometer

aussie site says its worth $23000

what do you think? not sure how ill get rid of it?

thanks in advance

Time flies, for sure!

Yours is the previous model Picasso to the one we got here in Australia from 2007 onwards - I would suggest selling it in the UK.

misstatt makes a good point - if you're in a cooling-off period, you could get a refund from the dealer.

Hello Iron Chef!

(I have PM you for info on this also)

I have lived here for couple of years in Aus but been going backwards and forwards with still having property in the UK. However I am going to be staying now and am a PR and have been all the time.

I bought a Porsche Boxster about 9 months ago and wondered if it would be possible to bring the car here?

Porsche Boxster

2.7 V6 Manual

90k miles

air con

bought it for 6k GBP

worth approx

[TABLE=class: cms_table]

[TR]

[TD=class: cms_table_label]* Private Price Guide[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_value]$22,100 - $25,900[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

on the rebook site

could you tell me if it is worth bringing as I would get more use out of it here obviously haha!

Wanted to know how much it would cost, I am based 40 miles away from Newcastle in the UK if that port would make a difference? (easier to get to)

Cheers for now!

Paul

- See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=701386#sthash.fLKhJF6a.dpuf