Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi, be interested in whether it's worthing bringing our Passat over

1) 2010 (60 plate) Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0 Diesel DSG 12k miles Climate Control

2) £18k-20k

3) $41,700-$45,600

TIA

Not the big gap I thought it would be, but Category A nevertheless.

Hi iron Chef,

Please could you tell me which category our 4x4 falls into ?

We have a Mercedes ML270 CDI Auto, Air-con

Manufactured yr 2000

Mileage 119000

UK price £5000

Au price $18000

Thanks

Category A.

Hi Iron Chef

We're coming over in next few months and my hubby wants to take our car I said its not worth it. Its in top condition. Are you going to prove me right???

Audi A6 1.9SE diesel

2003/100k/air con

We buy any car suggest £2800

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sellCategory B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value5) includes customs duty and GST5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.What I need from you:1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)Let's test it out :biggrin:
Hi Iron Chef,I have been reading this thread with some interest and thanks to your information have discovered I cannot bring my LHD Hymer motorhome, it is not worth bringing my old renault laguna estate (bored with it anyway) however, it would be interesting to know whether it would be worth bringing my Motorbike? It is a 2006 KTM 525 XC Desert Racer (Obviously no aircon), mileage is around 6,000, market value in UK is around £3,000, market value in Australia - $5,300 to $6,300 (can't find exact model on the redbook site). Is it worth bringing across?Many thanks, Bob.

Guest Travelinsal

1) 2008/BMW/M5/26,000/zircon

2) £29,000

3) $230,000 on rebook new, no good quotes on rebook about a 2008 model, but we recon it is around $110,000

Bit of an issue because there will be a luxury tax...

Hi Iron Chef

We're coming over in next few months and my hubby wants to take our car I said its not worth it. Its in top condition. Are you going to prove me right???

Audi A6 1.9SE diesel

2003/100k/air con

I know Chef will get back to you, but we brought over a similar car (54 plate estate and all the gadgets, including leather seats etc). We couldn't actually sell it in the UK back in October and we'd dropped the price to £4500 so we brought it over. FYI, the only modification it needed in Victoria was the Child seat anchors :)

I know Chef will get back to you, but we brought over a similar car (54 plate estate and all the gadgets, including leather seats etc). We couldn't actually sell it in the UK back in October and we'd dropped the price to £4500 so we brought it over. FYI, the only modification it needed in Victoria was the Child seat anchors :)

Thanks for that. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car, I'm sure its got loads of miles still left in it and it does seem stupid giving it away over here and forking out thousands of dollars to replace it. Might consider fitting it in the container! by the way we are Jo and Jon

Hi there Jo and Jon,

We're also coming to Victoria in a few months.

Just wondering how much the total cost of getting your car sorted was, once you got over there, taxes, child seat anchors, registration, charges for valets and anything else you might have had to pay for.

Did you have it cleaned before you shipped it, some people say I should, others are telling me there is no need as you have to have it done once it gets over there at a cost.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi, hoping you can help me decide about my car.

It's a VW Passat highline 2.0 TD. Mileage is 33k miles. Has aircon. Manual.

market value in uk about £8000. Think market value in australia is about $20000, though redbook didnt have the exact model.

Thanks, Stephen Glass.

Guest jaffas1
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Hello, Please could you tell me if it is worth bringing our car.

Volvo C30 R-Design 1.6 Diesel (2010 model) with 47000 km, Air conditioning.

UK Market value: £13000

Redbook Market value: $24800.

Thanks

Guest miss muffet

What I need from you:

Hello I'm so pleased I found your post. I'd appreciate your expert advice please. I would like to ship my vehicle to Brisbane. Would this be worth doing? I have also sent you an email.

2004 VW Bora

100,000 miles

Sports 1.8

6 speed

Air Con

Tortoiseshell detail doors, dash

Diesel

£5,400 UK

$37,800 AUS

Many Thanks

Hi

2000/Toyota/Prado/50,000/aircon

£4000

$15000

Thanks

Category A, just. The relatively low mileage will help your cause.

Hi Iron Chef

Audi A6 1.9SE diesel

2003/100k/air con

Sorry I don't want to cause any marriage problems, but that's a Category A.

Hi Iron Chef,I have been reading this thread with some interest and thanks to your information have discovered I cannot bring my LHD Hymer motorhome, it is not worth bringing my old renault laguna estate (bored with it anyway) however, it would be interesting to know whether it would be worth bringing my Motorbike? It is a 2006 KTM 525 XC Desert Racer (Obviously no aircon), mileage is around 6,000, market value in UK is around £3,000, market value in Australia - $5,300 to $6,300 (can't find exact model on the redbook site). Is it worth bringing across?Many thanks, Bob.

Hi Bob,

You're 0/3 I'm afraid, best to sell them all off and make a fresh start.

1) 2008/BMW/M5/26,000/zircon

2) £29,000

3) $230,000 on rebook new, no good quotes on rebook about a 2008 model, but we recon it is around $110,000

Bit of an issue because there will be a luxury tax...

I laughed at zircon ;)

If that's all their worth in the UK, I'm packing my bags. Happy to pay you GBP29K myself to take it off your hands if you do the paperwork to get it over haha

$110K is around the right Aussie value, so yes you will have some LCT, but even allowing for that you'll be MILES in front.

We have a Dodge Ram Pick up (its mint),

104,00 on clock,

Left hand dive,

Sits 6 people,

Air con,

auto,

5.7 Hemmi,

Hard top and its silver.( thats a girl thing ).:wink:

It will need to be converted to right hand drive, so expect a bill of around AUD25K or so. Post up the UK value and I'll see if it's worth it.

You can't bring in lhd vehicles

You can bring them in, but if they're younger than 30 years old (15 in WA) they need to be converted to RHD.

Hi, hoping you can help me decide about my car.

It's a VW Passat highline 2.0 TD. Mileage is 33k miles. Has aircon. Manual.

market value in uk about £8000. Think market value in australia is about $20000, though redbook didnt have the exact model.

Thanks, Stephen Glass.

Hi Stephen - Category B based on those figures.

Hello, Please could you tell me if it is worth bringing our car.

Volvo C30 R-Design 1.6 Diesel (2010 model) with 47000 km, Air conditioning.

UK Market value: £13000

Redbook Market value: $24800.

Thanks

That's a category C, suprisingly. I went back and had a look at the Redbook values, because it sounds quite low for a market value here - the R-design was only sold in petrol here, so there's no real equivalent, but I suspect high $20Ks would be a more realistic market value, which would bump it into category B.

Hello I'm so pleased I found your post. I'd appreciate your expert advice please.

2004 VW Bora

100,000 miles

Sports 1.8

6 speed

Air Con

Tortoiseshell detail doors, dash

Diesel

£5,400 UK

$54,800 AUS

Many Thanks

$54,800 was the new price for the top of the range V6, they're worth around AUD10K these days, which makes it a category C.

Guest mikey s

Hi Iron Chef

we have a 2009 Mazda 6 sport diesel 2.2 with 30km, it has aircon, uk value is about £11000 - 115000, will this be worth bringing.

cheers

Mikey:smile:

Hi Iron Chef

Just got our visas and starting to look into taking a pair of MX-5's over

1993 Eunos Roadster 47,845m/77,000km aircon with a limited edition interior

UK value £2300

redbook says AUD 6500 to 8800

also my wifes

1999 Mazda MX-5 106500m/171400km no aircon

uk value £2500

redbook AUD 7700 to 9700

Cheers

What I need from you:

Sorry another euro 1 for ya!

1. 2001 vauxhall zafira, 1.8l, 96k miles aircon

2. market value Ireland bout 2k but just bought it for €1350

3. value Au $5400 - $7200

What I need from you:

2003 Ford Ranger Twin cab XLT (Courier in Aus). 110,000 miles. with aircon

£4000 in UK

$6,900 - $8,600 in Aus

I have been reading this thread with much interest and would like to ask for some advice about exporting my car.

I have a 176 visa and will be relocating to Adelaide some time around September 2013. Wish it was earlier but I have a contract to fulfil :mask:

Anyway, I have a :

VW Golf GTi MkV 5 Door Manual / 50K miles / 2006 / Aircon as standard

UK Value: £8000 min as it has extras fitted such as Leather interior, Bi-Xenons, rear side airbags, ipod connection & multichanger.

AUS Value: $17,300 - $19,700