What have you done today to get yourself to OZ?

thewebweazel

Just had the 3rd company around for a shipping quote. Was very good but gave completely different information than the 1st guy (the 2nd company knew nothing at all so can't even go with a majority verdict!).

Found out from DH's new employer today that most of the relocation costs have to be paid by us upfront! That is from us asking - noone told us that. We don't have that kind of extra money lying around for shipping (20ft container and insurance), a relocation agent (I don't even need advice about housing/schools so don't want to pay $2500 up front for that!).

The package they are offering is great but we really should have been told that we would be expected to pay about $15,000 up front!

Hi Alaska, we are the same, we are getting a relocation allowance, but have to pay upfront for everything, removals which are around €4,500 plus insurance and then flights I understand that we then put in the expenses and then we will be refunded.

I feel exactly the same, we are selling our car to pay for the removals, we would have been selling the car anyway but have had to sell to the first person that came alone, just got enough to cover the removals.

I just hope the employers pay up quickly as we will need that money to pay deposits / bonds + my flights ......

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contacted previous recruitment agency for copy of reg forms, wrote a letter and sent a card to my partner in Australia, contacted ANZ for previous bank statements and applied for many jobs on Seek, also contacted previous contacts when i was working in Sydney. Also contacted Viber on how i can get an itemised list of my calls. been dreaming and praying too! so desperately want this!

Guest SupportPants
Just had the 3rd company around for a shipping quote. Was very good but gave completely different information than the 1st guy (the 2nd company knew nothing at all so can't even go with a majority verdict!).

Found out from DH's new employer today that most of the relocation costs have to be paid by us upfront! That is from us asking - noone told us that. We don't have that kind of extra money lying around for shipping (20ft container and insurance), a relocation agent (I don't even need advice about housing/schools so don't want to pay $2500 up front for that!).

The package they are offering is great but we really should have been told that we would be expected to pay about $15,000 up front!

Get the fact they will be reimbursing you written into your work contract for sure. I know two families who have been shafted by email and verbal assurances and not received the money.

Get the fact they will be reimbursing you written into your work contract for sure. I know two families who have been shafted by email and verbal assurances and not received the money.

Good point, our relocation package is mentioned within our job offer ......... thanks for making this obvious point

Guest guest30085

Today, I am revising for an exam, for a degree, that will eventually get me to Oz . . . . . honest I am, PIO and Facebook are not on my laptop as we speak, honest Boss :policeman:

I haven't been on PIO much this weekend so I managed to get loads done. I put these 2 Lights up in the kitchen

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

Painted and built shelves in the under stair cupboard (yip I know it is messy but you should have seen it before)

n3.jpg

Changed the Light switches and plugs in the Kitchen

n4.jpg

and loads more painting!!

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

Stacey stop abuse hard working Ozward Bound posters! What have you done today?

im only joking... he's daves friend so im allowed to give him abuse lol. it'll be quiet without him here! no more temping work at the moment so the oz fund stays as it is. Should i go find myself a aussie husband? i suppose thats one way of getting there :laugh:

Today, I am revising for an exam, for a degree, that will eventually get me to Oz . . . . . honest I am, PIO and Facebook are not on my laptop as we speak, honest Boss :policeman:

hey gill, im sure you are on a hard earned study break lol. best of luck for your exam but you wont need it!! what degree are you doing if you dont mind me asking? ive been looking into courses but im not sure what I would like to do. They dont start till august or september here (i think) but been looking at the open university ones, anybody know if they're any good?

I just left AUstralia House in London. Submitted girls docs for passports. They will arrive 31st jan. I then crossed road to post office where I posted husbands spouse visa! Ok we are missing loads of documents, but it is a start.

I also went in to the flight centre and got quotes on flights for 3rd week in feb! So done quite a bit for the day!!

I have posted (9am this morning) my husbands forms and chq for his IELTS Test on 18th Feb. He needs to get an 8 in every section (study books received Fri 13th Jan). VETASSESS skills practical test passed 26th Nov (Bricklayer). Agent (John at Visa Unit) assigned Jan'11.

Well so far I have done nothing, apart from look around the now rather ´bare´house full of boxes and think to myself how can I cope with two more weeks of chaos. :wink:

Going to the removals company offices shortly to see how much it would be to air freight a box of OH´s clothes hopefully it may be cheaper than booking a second case with the airline.

Plus going to the Holiday Inn near the airport to check availability and prices for the thirtieth of January, I could book it on-line, but am wary that the removals guys not get everything done in one day, so I will be very disappointed if I have paid for a hotel only to get to spend the night in a chaotic house instead. :dull: Just need to check that if I turn up they will have room at the Inn :wink: as I will be getting a taxi and could end up finding myself sleeping either in the streets or on the floor in the airport, which incidentally I have only ever done once before in Geneva, one of the most uncomfortable night´s sleep ever.

Good point, our relocation package is mentioned within our job offer ......... thanks for making this obvious point

Yes, my DH's has the breakdown included in the job offer which he had to sign and send back, so I hope it will be ok.

Not sure how we are going to cover the costs though - it's impossible. We have enough for bond, 6 weeks rent, hiring a car to look at schools and suburbs, food for 6 weeks (assuming he'll get paid a month in arrears etc).

Maybe they assumed that people would know but we just didn't and I feel we should have been told we had to pay upfront.

Arrggghhhh!

Would it be worth asking the company to pay your removal company I.e., on quotes ?? I know exactly where you are coming from, we are just the same, we could do with the money from the car, to pay for the shipping of the dog´s which was the original plan. We are just playing shuffling around the car money, just hope the company pay up otherwise we are in the brown stuff :dull: as we need that reimbursing to pay the dogs shipping aaaaghhhh

Have they given you a time frame for reimbursing you?

If it was done before we leave (for the shipping) it would be doable, but otherwise it's just not.

Just asked OH and he has said no, but he has just said he has emailed them today, I just hope it is done quicker than the job offer which took weeks.

I will let you know if we find anything out, it really is a huge worry, this month we have been living very frugally because we had a flight to book, last month it was medicals and visa and APHRA can´t wait until we are not forking out for something to do with moving.

I hope it is all worth it :hug:

Thanks, the same to you, it will all work out well, it is just really hard manipulating everything. I am lucky that the guy who is buying my car is a dealer, he is coming for it a couple of days before OH leaves, which will leave us without a car for a few days, but we will either have to hire of uses taxis. He is getting a good price though, but I just wanted to know that I could cover this removal bill, he has also given me a small deposit which I have used to give to the removal company as they asked for a deposit before giving me any boxes and wrapping paper.

I did a bad move last year so want to do most of it myself, leaving the boxes open for the removals guys to check through and do the inventories.

Will let you know when we find anything out about the reimbursement, will your Oh be working for a private company or the government, PM me if you want to x x

Well did absolutely sod all I am ashamed to say. :dull::dull:

We went to the removals company but they were closed, a big long siesta ...... just hope that is all it is and that they have not gone bust with our deposit.

Then we went to the airport to check out the hotel I plan to stay in before I fly back to the UK, made sure I could just turn up unannounced, and get a room, as I don´t fancy sleeping in the streets, they said that was fine, and I checked out the rooms, which looked very posh indeed, can´t wait................ Particularly as I will be on my own and be able to just relax and read :wink: and bathe

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyuVx0k4r6aX6_MGPLWXG4DWgDFL_Fai0FeJwL9nzKg3gnKJI1images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQopDHTulaHY88x_y_hE3yKK50JBf8k8GVdS_QMY68fTAmhqpX7iwimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtpCyJNkwWpRfrLPa_PaoxbOAhrJx9pA7XnQIHC8LR1VBNgAxVRQ

Archived