Top or Front loader washing machine?

cartertucker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have 2 runners up on my list now....They are Samsung (so not made in Italy!)

Reviews that I have looked at seem pretty good....Now to choose 7.5kg load or 10kg load???

Now that you are a Choice subscriber you could compare the water used and energy per kWh per kg of clothes. You may find that the 10 kg one uses less water and electricity per kg and may work out cheaper in the long run when you add the cost of these utilities to the purchase price.

I generally do a load or 2 a day , there are 3 adults & 3 children in our household~

7.5kg is $730 & 10kg is $1240

Go to a place like The Good Guys and haggle. I bet there's room to manoeuvre on those prices. When I bought my Samsung it had a price tag of $619 on it but I got it for $500--and then got a goverment rebate so the real price was even less.

Washing machines are the same as anything else - you get what you pay for. Cheaper is often a false economy IMO

Agree...that was my thinking when I bought my Miele in 1986. It was the first time I had the plumbing fittings for an automatic machine and I'd suffered so long with those little twin tub machines that I was determined to get the Rolls Royce of washing machines. It's certainly paid for itself over 25 years.

Go to a place like The Good Guys and haggle. I bet there's room to manoeuvre on those prices.

Have a look at the price at Appliances Online. It will probably be cheaper than your local store...ask them to match the lower price.

Guest VickyMel

Yep I check out the prices in the store - decide what I fancy and then check it out online and ask them to match (I'm going to check Skani's link!).

I have a front loader - I prefer top loaders - less bending and can stop and start. But front are better on water/environmental and also more adaptable if we move somewhere where it needs to be under a surface.

What I dislike about mine is that it has set programs that I can only adjust slightly - e.g I cannot get a 1000 spin with my 40C mixed wash. Also the spin program also only goes to 800 not 1000 which is only on the cottons. I bought it as it said 1000 spin but don't use the cotton program!

all this washing machine talk has sent me into a washing frenzy...........3 loads yesterday and two today and what a great day for it too......all the school and work gear is ready for next yr.........still a top loader for me ..........and for the men in warm areas ,save enery by not using the spin, it will soon dry guys .............anyway ,i must dash as i have a pile of ironing to do now ..........:GEEK:

FWIW 7.5kg is larger than the standard UK size for front loaders. We have a 7.5kg here in the UK and it fits loads. And as it has a sensor it won't fill the drum with water if only half a load of clothes in it. Can even fit a duvet in it to wash.

Ensure if they have eco ratings of some kind you get one with a good rating (like here in the UK a A is way better than a C).

You'll often find the same sort of brands in Aus and the UK. The big companies sell in both places. A few companies in Aus you won't be familiar with for white goods like Fisher and Paykel but they are well known in Aus. I'd say it comes down to what you like, what the reviews say about the ones you like and then seeing which of them suits your requirements best.

Just a word of warning...

Some sales assistants are on commission to sell certain brands/end of range so don't always listen to what they reccommend.

I always go with what people have used and suggest are good, its not like the sales assistant úses' the washers but I had this done to

me in Harvey Norman... Rekon he was trying to get me to spend out of my limit too... they ask what you want to spend then suggest one that is out

of your league and go on and on and on about how much more efficient it is. BUYER BEWARE is my ten cents worth.

BTW, I have a Samsung front loader 8.5kg Quiet Drive or something its called, took out the extra warranty and (touch wood) its going fine and cleans

the clothes.

Just thought I would add that on arrival we stayed with my dad who had a 'Kleenmaid' top loader washer that cost him quite a lot. It was crap at washing clothes

and I thought if an expensive top loader was crap what will one I can afford be like?? lol

Good luck with your purchase :)

Just a word of warning...

Some sales assistants are on commission to sell certain brands/end of range so don't always listen to what they reccommend.

I always go with what people have used and suggest are good, its not like the sales assistant úses' the washers but I had this done to

me in Harvey Norman... Rekon he was trying to get me to spend out of my limit too... they ask what you want to spend then suggest one that is out

of your league and go on and on and on about how much more efficient it is. BUYER BEWARE is my ten cents worth.

BTW, I have a Samsung front loader 8.5kg Quiet Drive or something its called, took out the extra warranty and (touch wood) its going fine and cleans

the clothes.

Good luck with your purchase :)

Thankyou so much ~ I had even signed up to 'choice' (like which from Uk) to get the best one.....There were lots of online reports/reviews from customers stating this washing machine was good, so I was sure id already decided

Think the sales man in Harvey Norman really 'put off' my Husband, by telling him, dont get anything made in china etc etc...:rolleyes:

So I went armed with my 2 finalists for a washing machine & as soon as I told the sales assistant, he told me 'dont go for Samsung'!!!

:arghh: Doesnt he know I spent hours (literally hours) researching this!! ~ ~ ~ Back to square one!

He 'kindly' :skeptical: suggested an LG!

At the end of the day, it is just a washing machine - unless you spend megabucks does it matter that much?

At the end of the day, it is just a washing machine - unless you spend megabucks does it matter that much?

It does for some people. A family of 6 like cartertucker's willl be doing a lot of washing. There can be a difference between machines of hundreds of dollars per year in the cost of elelctricity and water used: even the spin efficiency can make a huge difference to the use of a clothes dryer. Plus the wear and tear on clothes: mine is so gentle on clothes that the lint filter never needs cleaning whereas some machines I've known create lint with each wash (which means they are destroying clothes with each wash). Plus the reliability factor - the long term cost of repairs or having to replace it, not to mention the aggro of a non-working machine when you have piles of laundry building up.

I agree with the warning above: sales people can be on a larger commission from some companies. When you have some young thing barely out of school who has probably never used a washing machine in his/her life - because Mum has always done it! - I'd be especially suspicious. I've had the same tactics used when buying a vacuum cleaner in Harvey Norman. I'd done a lot of research but the sales person tried to pressure me to buy the top of the range Dyson. I declined.

As for made in China: Samsung is a Korean company.

Mind you, even the most expensive European brands are often made in China these days. It doesn't matter where the machine is made - it's the quality the company demands which makes the difference between the best and the crap.

It does for some people. A family of 6 like cartertucker's willl be doing a lot of washing. There can be a difference between machines of hundreds of dollars per year in the cost of elelctricity and water used: even the spin efficiency can make a huge difference to the use of a clothes dryer. Plus the wear and tear on clothes: mine is so gentle on clothes that the lint filter never needs cleaning whereas some machines I've known create lint with each wash (which means they are destroying clothes with each wash). Plus the reliability factor - the long term cost of repairs or having to replace it, not to mention the aggro of a non-working machine when you have piles of laundry building up.

I agree with the warning above: sales people can be on a larger commission from some companies. When you have some young thing barely out of school who has probably never used a washing machine in his/her life - because Mum has always done it! - I'd be especially suspicious. I've had the same tactics used when buying a vacuum cleaner in Harvey Norman. I'd done a lot of research but the sales person tried to pressure me to buy the top of the range Dyson. I declined.

As for made in China: Samsung is a Korean company.

Mind you, even the most expensive European brands are often made in China these days. It doesn't matter where the machine is made - it's the quality the company demands which makes the difference between the best and the crap.

Well if you put it like that... We're a family of four with two young kids, so use the machine each day. And I really didn't put too much thought into it. I chose the one with free extended warranty + cash back + freebie and I don't regret that decision yet. :wubclub:

If it blows up, it'll will either be fixed under warranty or I'll by another reasonably priced model. I wouldn't know if it even had a lint filter! :wink:

Dyson products are crazy expensive here..

After all the trouble we had with door seals back in the UK 17 yrs ago (replaced 3 times in 3 yrs), we went for a top loader here. 9kg as we were a big family. It's been running for 16 yrs with no repairs and not a sign of rust. very little lint in the filter but that could be because our clothes are threadbare :embarrassed: :biglaugh:

Archived