Top or Front loader washing machine?

cartertucker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate top loaders as all the ones we have ever had or used destroyed the clothes. We ended up buying a Samsung Eco Bubble one here and I love it. I like that I can add things within the first few minutes of the wash which I think is unusual for front loaders.

Just 'googled' your washing machine & it looks good, thankyou, I had no idea where I would start looking!! So many to choose from!! :wink:

Guest guest17301

We have a hotpoint front loader that we brought with us from the UK, If I had to buy a new one not sure what Id choose...I like the fact that you can interupt the cycle on a top loader but not as muh space usually

we have had a top loader for 4 yrs and its great to not be bending down and as someone said you can stop the cycle any time , forward it ,set the timer ect ............what do you mean by wreck the clothes , what extent of damage are you talking about.....!!!!!!!!!! there are 7 of us and our fisher & paykel has had `heaps` of hammers as you can imagine ......

I've always wanted a top loader, Get really frustrated with my front loader and the amount of time each cycle takes. The shorted cycle I can get out of it is 35 minutes. (even then I reckon it longer)

When I visit America/Australia I get all excited about washing my clothes in a top loader, Quicker cycles and throwing things in that I had forgotten or that pesky pillow case that I had dropped and not seen on the way to the laundry room.

I had planned on treating myself to a fancy schmancy top loader but reading the comments I may have to think again.

Guest The Pom Queen
we have had a top loader for 4 yrs and its great to not be bending down and as someone said you can stop the cycle any time , forward it ,set the timer ect ............what do you mean by wreck the clothes , what extent of damage are you talking about.....!!!!!!!!!! there are 7 of us and our fisher & paykel has had `heaps` of hammers as you can imagine ......

Yes ours has lasted for years and we do around 6 loads a week if not more, but a top loader isn't as gentle on the clothes as a front loader, it's the way the wash cycle works and you will see clothes age a lot faster, plus any stains struggle to be removed even after 3 washes. Yes I love the idea of them for people with back problems but I won't buy one again.

I LOVE top loaders and am upset really that when I get back to the UK I will have to get a front loader until we can build a laundry (which I am also upset about). IMO top loaders get the clothes HEAPS cleaner, but each to their own I guess. I also LOVE that I don't end up bloody hurting myself when I get the clothes out of it and of course that I can interrupt the cycle.

I've always wanted a top loader, Get really frustrated with my front loader and the amount of time each cycle takes. The shorted cycle I can get out of it is 35 minutes. (even then I reckon it longer)

When I visit America/Australia I get all excited about washing my clothes in a top loader, Quicker cycles and throwing things in that I had forgotten or that pesky pillow case that I had dropped and not seen on the way to the laundry room.

I had planned on treating myself to a fancy schmancy top loader but reading the comments I may have to think again.

You can buy them in the UK. I have been googling it.

Put me down on the front loader side.

We had a top loader in our first rental and it worked okay--but it used a lot of water (when we were in a drought on water restrictions) and, for obvious reasons, can't have anything above it.

In our permanent house, we went for a front loader (a Samsung though not the model previously mentioned) and it's been great. It washes well with about a quarter the water of a top loader and allows us to stack a tumble dryer on top of it--important as there wouldn't have been room for the dryer in our laundry room without this feature.

At the time we bought it, the State government was giving a $100 rebate for water efficient washing machines...dunno if that still applies but worth looking into.

I have a front loader, Westinghouse 7kg and its fine. This is my second one. No top loader for us they are tangle matics. You can look at Appliances on line for prices.

One thing the repairer told us when he came out to our last machine was when buying a new one buy one that is built in Europe, some brands the small ones are built in China and the larger in Europe. The one we have now was built in Italy.

Guest famousfive

Front loader for me.....gentle on the clothes,no need to pre-soak anything and uses a lot less water which is good when you get the water bill.Try and make sure to get a 7kg one to cut down the amount of loads you have to do[less electricity and water]and check if it has a cold water eco setting and a quick wash option.

Thankyou everyone ~ Think im gonna go for a front loader now, mayby one on a stand (drawer) & possibly a Samsung, as seems a popular brand :wubclub:

I have a front loader, Westinghouse 7kg and its fine. This is my second one. No top loader for us they are tangle matics. You can look at Appliances on line for prices.

One thing the repairer told us when he came out to our last machine was when buying a new one buy one that is built in Europe, some brands the small ones are built in China and the larger in Europe. The one we have now was built in Italy.

Thanks for the tip about machines made in Italy, not sure which brands that would be....Off to Google :GEEK:

Front loaders always score highest in the tests done by "Choice" magazine - the Oz equivalent of the UK "Which".

This includes their last test results in the October 2011 edition.

They test for things like dirt removal, rinse performance, gentleness on clothes, water efficiency, spin efficiency, water and energy use etc.

I bought my front loader (a Miele) in 1986 and it's still going strong.

I figure if it keeps on like this it will still be going when I'm too old to walk and I'll be able to use it from my wheelchair! :biggrin:

Thanks Skani....Mayby I should subscribe to this 'choice' magazine :yes:

There are various membership options - the link is down the bottom on the RH side of this webpage

http://www.choice.com.au/

I find it very useful - not just when buying things but for general consumer information.

However, if money is very tight at the moment and you have a library nearby, you should be able to find the monthly "Choice" in the magazines section.

Guest morris5

We just sold our top loader - I didnt think it washed clothes properly and it ripped a few things on me too over the couple of years i have had it. It was a Fisher & Paykel and i paid $800 so wasnt cheap.

Archived