Top or Front loader washing machine?

cartertucker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bacardi167

There is actually a science to it and anyone who has worked in the industry (cleaning) will tel you to buy a front loader and that topp loaders should all be dumped in the river !!

Without going into too much detail, the best way to wash linen or cloth is like they do in places like india etc...with stones on a riverbank and slapping the linen down on itself. this release the dirt far more effieciently than any other way. Also a pre wash mixed with an alkiline liquid causes the fabric to swell / stretch and release more easily.

front loaders try to replicate that washing motion, where as top loaders will sitt your clothes in a top of water and just wash around.

Not sure about the life span of machines but it'd guess if you get 4 years out of one then you've got your moneys worth.

See you didnt know it was so involved did ya !!! (seriously though - get a front loader)

i learned this when i warked in the uk for a large cleaning firm that used to do all the sheets, towels etc for several large hotels around london and the airport.

Hope that helps

Steve

See you didnt know it was so involved did ya !!! (seriously though - get a front loader)

Actually, now you mention it ~ After the past couple of days of washing machine research, I really do know how involved it is!

Think I could work for a washing machine company now, the amount of knowledge I have gleened!! :twitcy:

Thankyou ~ Very imformative & I shall defo be getting a front loader :wink:

It's already been said but many sales assistants (and I think Hardly Normal is one of the worst for this) are pushing things that give them/the store the greatest profit rather than offering unbiased advice. I'm not expert on washing machines but our Samsung has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. My expensive Bosch in the UK broke down a few days out of warranty.

In areas I do know about (I worked in professional audio for almost 40 years) I always have a laugh when the sales assistants try to sell me a $60 gold plated, oxygen free phono cable or something because they "sound better". Pure male bovine excrement--and I'm sure the washing machine people are just as bad.

Front loaders are more efficient also make sure you get 2 x water connection on the rear of the machine some of the new ones are cold water only for electrical only.???? the ones with two pipes are hot & cold connections

My 25 year old front loader is connected to the cold water only but it heats its own water to the thermostat setting I choose if I want a warm or hot wash. This is cheaper than drawing heated water from the mains system.

Front loaders are more efficient also make sure you get 2 x water connection on the rear of the machine some of the new ones are cold water only for electrical only.???? the ones with two pipes are hot & cold connections

Don't most front loaders come with cold water connection only? In the UK its the norm now and they heat to temperature during the cycle rather than draining the hot water tank. I'd only ever buy a cold water connection these days, I've not seen a two hose option in years come to think of it. If they do both in Aus I'll still be looking for cold water hose only.

Am I too late to add my thoughts?

Is there a difference in spin speeds? I was told that top loaders don't reach such high spin speeds as front loaders, although I didn't check.

Do you split your washes (hot whites, whites, coloureds)? I do but not everyone does. If so, the bigger capacity might not necessarily help because you might put on 2 or 3 smaller washes rather than 1 big anyway.

Do you have solar heated water? If so, you can't usually connect it anyway as the water gets too hot.

Heating the water in the machine is more efficient than drawing hot water from the tap.

Would you use a time delay? I use it lots and would hate to be without it now.

Genarally German and Scandinavian made are more reliable than those in the East. But they cost a lot more. Miele and AEG v expensive. V reliable, but you could afford to replace a cheaper one several times during it's lifetime.

We bought ours 2 days ago (I wish I'd seen this thread before then.) We didn't have too much time to spend shopping round so just had to dive in and get one.

Ended up with Bosch 6.5 kg load from Good Guys. $637 - $50 cash back. Cashback a complete hassle and offer now finished anyway. Although it's Bosch it's now made in Thailand or Singapore (though I'm told with the german machining).

It's easy to think you are starting to obsess but if you have a big family and use it lots it has a huge impact on your daily life so it does matter. Getting cross and frustrated several times a day when it could have been avoided is maddening. Being without a machine for a few days while you get one repaired is a complete nightmare and you just don't have time for that!

If mine breaks down, can I bring a load to your house?:laugh:

If it gets too stressful just get a jetwash, line the kids up on the drive and squirt them all. Then they can run round in the sun to dry.

:laugh: Not a bad idea!

I could do with standing in a jetwash right now!! In fact when the sprinklers come on later tonight, I am gonna be very VERY tempted!! :wink:

Hiya Kelly, I love Love my front loader and well I have to say mine lets me Pause it and open the door within 30 minutes of the wash, I do have a samsung too.

The other thing I was told was never get a front loader bigger than 7.5kg as the extra weight will make the drum wear out quicker so maybe someone else will tell you differently.

Mine uses 58 litres for the whole wash and I think my old top loader would nearly have used that amount water just to fill it for the wash cycle, good luck.

Laney x

Hiya Kelly, I love Love my front loader and well I have to say mine lets me Pause it and open the door within 30 minutes of the wash, I do have a samsung too.

The other thing I was told was never get a front loader bigger than 7.5kg as the extra weight will make the drum wear out quicker so maybe someone else will tell you differently.

Mine uses 58 litres for the whole wash and I think my old top loader would nearly have used that amount water just to fill it for the wash cycle, good luck.

Laney x

Do you have the eco bubble samsung?? :unsure:

Interesting point about the drum size....:eek:

Guest guest17301

a washer is a washer is a washer....7pages!!! No, no, no..theyre all pretty much the same just some have fancy lights and digital displays and all that jazz...just go buy the washer Kel!:chatterbox::goofy::swoon:

According to manufacturers, it's up to 40% more efficient for the washing machine to heat its own water rather than taking it from the main hot water tank.

(The exception to this, of course, is if you have solar hot water.)

In any case, it's virtually impossible to find machines with a hot water inlet these days.

a washer is a washer is a washer....7pages!!! No, no, no..theyre all pretty much the same just some have fancy lights and digital displays and all that jazz...just go buy the washer Kel!:chatterbox::goofy::swoon:

Some have fancy lights you say.....:wideeyed:

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

Whatever you do, don't buy anything less than about 6kg for a front loader. I'm still in south Africa (will be moving down under soon though) and I bought a Samsung 3.5kg washer. What a waste - it can wash precisely one sock and a shirt at a time. The 7.5kg one wasn't much more but I didn't have the money at the time. Apart from the small size, it's a super machine.

I rekon they are trained to say this as this is EXACTLY what he said to me about being made in China! He tried to get me to buy a Miele,

which is fine, but well out of my price range! He asked how much I wanted to spend - roughly about $700 - and then did this spiel about

how well built the Miele is and he would never buy something from China or anything Samsung...

I said I was going to phone my husband and never went back!!

Buy what you feel comfortable with :yes:

Hope you guys are right, dont wanna throw another spanner in the works with looking for hoses on the back!!!! :confused:

The most recent Choice comparison of washing machines shows that most front loaders have a cold water connection only, so heat their own water. A few do have both hot and cold connections.

Is there a difference in spin speeds? I was told that top loaders don't reach such high spin speeds as front loaders, although I didn't check.

Do you have solar heated water? If so, you can't usually connect it anyway as the water gets too hot.

Yes, front loaders do have higher spin speeds than top loaders.

Archived