100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

what's the difference, if you get taxed much higher. I have friends both in the lower-end of income class, here is the comparison.

They are both working in airports as baggage handlers. In Australia, he gets paid $12 a hour, gets taxed, gets maybe $8 an hour.

My other friend works in US, gets $10 per hour, get taxed at 9%, also goes home at $8 an hour

But living cost in US is 50% to 100% cheaper depending on where you live..so those in US actually make much better return at the end of the day. ...

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest59177
Which website is it?

They funny thing is that the actual article on the website says that the cost of living in Australia is EXTREMELY LOW. And then people have commented on the article and it's people's comments on an article in another website that's got hia so worked up :biglaugh:

They funny thing is that the actual article on the website says that the cost of living in Australia is EXTREMELY LOW. And then people have commented on the article and it's people's comments on an article in another website that's got hia so worked up :biglaugh:

Ofcourse, leptokurtic

One would be totally extremely shattered after reading all that....

Guest guest59177
Ofcourse, leptokurtic

One would be totally extremely shattered after reading a that....

One would have to be made of glass to be shattered so easily :tongue:

Are you really so gullible??

Are you currently a resident of Australia?

Chk ur visitor Message and te me whats ur opinion on it.

Yes I am.

The comments are negative because it is an overly optimistic article so naturally the comments it attracts will be the opposite extreme. General forums have a lot more balance.

Also, Australian house prices did not crash like the uk and the usa and the Aussie dollar strengthened dramatically against both the pound and the us dollar. Many people who either don't understand maths well, or haven't thought much about it, compare cost of living using the exchange rate which totally distorts the cost of living comparison in favour of the uk and the USA at the moment. This is an inaccurate way to compare cost of living but many don't realise.

I actually thought this was one of those joke posts with a list of funny things about OZ.

Look, I just had a quick look through the three pages of current thread titles and wrote down the number of threads and 'posts' for six titles (out of, what 20 to a page or thereabouts) that are concerned just with migration issues - how far people are with their visa applications, meds, etc, etc.

10,000 actual threads to the six topics and over 500,000 i.e. HALF A MILLION replies to these threads.

I feel like swearing but I know the Mods are ever vigilant.

The actual number of people who are committed to coming to Australia versus the numbers who are having second thoughts, or making plans to return is MINISCULE, MICROSCOPIC.

It's like comparing the population of China with the population of the Isle of Wight for God's sake.

Words (almost) fail me!

what's the difference, if you get taxed much higher. I have friends both in the lower-end of income class, here is the comparison.

They are both working in airports as baggage handlers. In Australia, he gets paid $12 a hour, gets taxed, gets maybe $8 an hour.

My other friend works in US, gets $10 per hour, get taxed at 9%, also goes home at $8 an hour

But living cost in US is 50% to 100% cheaper depending on where you live..so those in US actually make much better return at the end of the day. ...

Some people in the USA work practically for nothing just to cover their family for medical insurance.

One would have to be made of glass to be shattered so easily :tongue:

Are you really so gullible??

I think its not tht funny..I posted this thread here so pople coud give me some knowledgeable amount of experiences and research ..But I guess there are very few poepl who are reay serious about their life after going to OZ or may be they are way more richer who can afford to give a good amount of money as tax to the Aussie Govt with very high rates of ...No offence..yeahh!! :biggrin:

Just had another look at the statistics - this time for Migration Issues - 28,492 threads & 295,287 replies versus Moving Back to the UK 1,178 threads & 30,409 replies

I thought it was posts and reads sorry got that bit wrong but the math is right so - 'go figure'!

I dont know what you re trying to figure out ........ :)

Also, Australian house prices did not crash like the uk and the usa and the Aussie dollar strengthened dramatically against both the pound and the us dollar. Many people who either don't understand maths well, or haven't thought much about it, compare cost of living using the exchange rate which totally distorts the cost of living comparison in favour of the uk and the USA at the moment. This is an inaccurate way to compare cost of living but many don't realise.

if you are unfortunate enough to have your entire income in £s or us$ then i guess living in australia isnt going to be too peachy at the mo.

i think to make a true comparison you need to compare apples with apples.

ive heard disposable income and quality of life is better in australia than the uk, if you earn your income there.

i dont strive to be a rich man (it would be nice... but) i just want a decent quality of life for my tribe and i. hope thats not too much to ask! :)

$12 is a very low income in Australia...I don't even think it is legal? The tax would only be about $1.32 of the $12.

if you are unfortunate enough to have your entire income in £s or us$ then i guess living in australia isnt going to be too peachy at the mo.

i think to make a true comparison you need to compare apples with apples.

ive heard disposable income and quality of life is better in australia than the uk, if you earn your income there.

i dont strive to be a rich man (it would be nice... but) i just want a decent quality of life for my tribe and i. hope thats not too much to ask! :)

I completely agree with you..

We just want a decent not tooo weathy but unstressful life...Do u think Austraia has that kind of life as compared to the UK?

If your friend is only on $12 per hr in Oz - I think he should hot foot it over to fair work since minimum wage in Oz is $15.51

Guest guest59177
I think its not tht funny..I posted this thread here so pople coud give me some knowledgeable amount of experiences and research ..But I guess there are very few poepl who are reay serious about their life after going to OZ or may be they are way more richer who can afford to give a good amount of money as tax to the Aussie Govt with very high rates of ...No offence..yeahh!! :biggrin:

Do you understand the concept of taxing every dollar vs. taxing brackets? Do you understand the concept of franking credits? Have you any appreciation of short vs. long term tax rates? I don't think you have. And hence I don't think you are in any position to understand Australian taxes. Listen, do you think you will be earning in the range of $80000/- - $180000/- per year? If so, then only you need to fret over tax rates of 37% and higher OK? Otherwise just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

Omg this thread is so funny!

Hia, people are trying to answer you but you keep telling them they are wrong because this other website must be correct!

If you want the 'right' answer then work things out yourself. Most of us here HAVE done our homework on emigrating to Oz and know what we can/can't live on. The good and bad points of Oz AND the taxation system/education system/housing....the list is endless.

And who do you think you are to tell the people here they are 'not serious about their life after the move to Oz'. Perhaps we're not concerned because we HAVE done the researching. :realmad:

Guest guest59177

There would be bloody revolt if the government imposed that kind of taxes OK. EXCEPT if your friend is one heck of a miser millionaire who keeps the main earnings in a bank and tries to survive on the income from baggage handling.

P.S. Sorry to fish.01. I quoted the wrong post earlier :embarrassed:

I dont know what you re trying to figure out ........ :)

Most people who come to OZ don't worry about the cost of living and the exchange rate and all the other negative stuff and this is borne out by the numbers who come on PIO with threads which are POSITIVE about emigrating.

If most people were really worried about all the negative aspects then the figures for the relevant PIO threads would surely be reversed?

I completely agree with you..

We just want a decent not tooo weathy but unstressful life...Do u think Austraia has that kind of life as compared to the UK?

well ive researched enough to know its definately worth a go!

and last estimate its going to cost me the better part of £20k to do it!

think small and live small, sometimes you got to grab the bull by .... well by the balls! :)

(disclaimer: not recomended. just a phrase! if you do though can i have your house :) )

best to regret something you did, rather than didnt do.

the western economy relies on people getting into and staying in a comfort zone. the workers arent supposed to be too physically or socially mobile! just do it.

be strong and certain, whats the worst that can happen anyway!

have a look on google earth, find the real down and out places in australia, washing machines in gardens, pikeys in the streets, all that stuff. i cant find it, thats all. it'd be good to have a total comparison. try to wash the rose tint off these glasses!