Can no longer take my dog

reddebz

Just a quick one to get it of my chest. After doing our sums and having to reduce the price of our house we can no longer take our beloved family pet, Jaye. There have been lots of tears and trying to find ways of finding the £4k it costs to get her to Darwin but we cannot do it. The blue cross came round this week and registered her etc and we get to keep her here untill they rehome her which is great, but I really dont want to do it. She is such a part of the family, plays doctors with my son, sleeps on his bed with him and was my baby before he came along. The Blue cross said it may take longer to rehome her as she is 9 and people want younger dogs, I just hope and pray she gets a loving family where the kids will love and play with her and treat her as we have.:sad:

The Blue Cross have always been lovely in my experiences with them. I think they are a good rescue to go through to rehome her.

It is so hard to make the decision to have to part with our much loved pets in order to make a move overseas. As has been suggested, could a family member foster her for a few months till you get the money together to ship her over? You seem to really want to take her, so if you can make it happen, go for it, even if it means a few months in the UK till you are in a position to fly her over.

I've just had a quote to take our dog AND cat from Scotland to Darwin for £2200, dog alone was about £1800 (not including quarantine fees though). She's a border x beardie sized collie by the way and I think I was told quarantine fees are around $39 per day payable at that end.

thanks guys. We have gone down the family and friends route but its not possible. We cant bring her over later as cant see that we will ever be able to save that amount of money as well as pay for rent, kindy and general living! The cost is everything added together, fights to sydney, quarantine, dog walker, flight to Darwin and the vets fees for bloods etc. I keep hoping the money will magic up from somewhere but the reality is it wont. Fingers crossed me and my son will be too busy to miss her too much.

My heart really goes out to you!!!

I have been in a situation where I have had to rehome a dog and it is heart breaking.

Just before my grandad took his last breath I promised him I would take care of his 16 yr old jack russell, unfortunately I could not keep him as he did not get on well with my two dogs.

We rehomed him with my husbands grandad but unfortunately he also passed away 9 months later. The RSPCA and Dogs Trust did not want to know because of his age, and said he would probably end up being put to sleep :0( My father in law gave him a temporary home and I advertised him on a website call pre-loved. A lady from a rescue centre contacted me and said they had an elderly lady on their books who was after a little dog.

I am pleased that he now has a loving home and is being spoiled rotten again!!

I've just had a quote to take our dog AND cat from Scotland to Darwin for £2200, dog alone was about £1800 (not including quarantine fees though). She's a border x beardie sized collie by the way and I think I was told quarantine fees are around $39 per day payable at that end.

Hi, I was just wondering what company you are using? I've got two quotes for our border collie x which range from £3,140 - £3,800! What level of service are you getting?

And to o/p, I'm so sorry to hear that you have had to make that awful decision... must have been extremely hard. :hug:

Guest cantwaittogo

I feel your pain - we are unable to afford to take our cat who is 5 and has been with us since he was 5 weeks old - I cannot find anyone to rehome her - they all say they are full!!! so am stressing big time as we leave at the end of October. she is on the urgent waiting list at blue cross.

It breaks my heart every time I look at him.... it feels like leaving one of my children behind.

chin up and all the best to you xxx

Guest cdchaplin

we too have decided to leave out cat cos she almost 15 although very healthy. luckily friend is having her but feel awful cos she only knows our house and we have had her since 5 weeks!! on the plus side we are taking our 4 yr old cocker spaniel. just couldn't even contemplate leaving him!!! my girls just would not allow it!! really feel for you as they are just members of the family xxx

Hi I know how hard this is, my beloved Springer is going to her new home tomorrow, we felt at 9 years old she would really struggle, not only with the flights but the heat in Oz. I have been really lucky and have found her a fantastic, lovely new home. She has been for several weekends to make sure that she is happy and tomorrow is "D Day", this is my lst day with her L

I got friends to put a flyer that I did,on notice boards in their office, put one in the vets, my hairdressers, the groomers anywhere that I could think off where people would see it. We have been so lucky, we had over 30 phone calls from perspective new owners, even though she is older, some people prefer this as long as they are in good health, which thankfully she is.

So, although it will be horrible tomorrow and I am sure there will be lots of tears, we are doing what is best for her which is the most important thing at the end of the day.

Good luck, it is hard (I have tears rolling down my face now) but as long as you find someone to love them as much as you do they will be fine.

Deb

Guest guest17301

Speaking as someone who has been there.....I would say try as hard as you can to raise the funds...you won't regret it. Or beg family to take the dog....we had to leave our girl in the UK. Family let us down at the last minute....We still miss our dog, she was part of the family and i still feel guilty for leaving her behind. I wish we'd tried harder, though it was impossible with the finances. Good luck, I think often we are more attached to our dogs than they re to us though, they soon readjust I think.

Archived