Violence - Secret Harbour

Guest Karen and Colin

Guest Karen and Colin

Just read a disturbing story on-line about somone being glassed in the Whistleing Kite pub in Secret Harbour. Seemingly there was a big fight involving at least 20 people and someone ended up in hospital having been on the receiving end of a bottle. The comments after the story were a bit disturbing also as they are going on about how lawless WA is now and that it is not safe to go out to the pubs at night either in the city or in the suburbs - surely this can't be true as we donoe our reccie last year and we went out at night and felt fine. Has anyone felt unsafe going out at night recently?:confused:

these things happen , there was big fracas at a joondalup pub a few years ago a copper got badly hurt , generally things are fine , im sure the same things happen in the uk possibly more frequently .

the only place i worry about is north bridge

Guest The Ropey HOFF

3 or 4 people have been murdered over the last few years within a mile of where we live in Dewsbury - Yorkshire ............ its a sad fact of life, theres crime everywhere ............ i never think i am going to be a victim of crime and most poms i spoke to in Perth felt it was safer there than the uk, but i don't think there is much difference.

Guest tandcmum

sadly there are good and bad people in every place in the world, i don't think anyone cn honestly say where they live is free from crime (unless you live on an outer hebridian island and are the only residents ;) )

murders everywhere m8, shootout where we were car riddled with bullets and usual stuff every monday in papers about violent weekend, overlook the crime look at the positives both uk and oz, there good and bad everywhere, think yourself lucky to be able to choose where to live, middle east, israel??

Where did you read that? I'm not saying it hasn't happened... I'm just curious because I've not heard a thing about it and I live in Secret Harbour....

No place is ever going to be 100% safe is it... but there are places where you generally feel less wary.... but I think here it's because on the whole you don't see gangs of kids on street corners or hanging around which if your on your own can feel intimidating.... I'm not saying you don't see it..you just don't see so much of it ...

However it really does depend on where you live ... example on Saturday night my friend and I took our daughters upto Burswood Dome to see Justin Bieber.... it all felt OK during the daylight travelling there, but travelling back into Perth on the train at 11pm felt a different story.... the train was pretty busy and unless you'd been to the concert the only other people on the train were p***ed up/off their faces aboriginal youngsters who had some very colourful language... two young girls sat next to my 9 year old daughter and my friends 10 year old and 6 year old daughters had some real choice words ... but we were too intimidated to ask them to stop as about 90% of the carriage was full of more p***ed up/off their faces aboriginal youngsters and we were in the minority and felt safer saying nothing.... the general feeling about the area in that part of the city is that it was quite rough and probably one of the poorer areas and therefore, sadly there is probably more violence.

Now if I lived THERE I wouldn't go out at night! But then I wouldn't choose to live in that area either.....

Its on the www.perthnow.com.au website Rachel.

Secret Harbour, like anywhere else, has its fair share of incidents. There are hoons galore tearing up the roads, just recently my friend nearly stood on a used needle whilst walking onto the beach, and burglaries are happening in the area so that story doesn't surprise me!

Laura x

We've travelled into the city by train (Mandurah line) a few times for drinks (don't go into Northbridge) and got the midnight train home without any difficulty or noticing any trouble. There's always the risk of trouble when people have been drinking/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/call-for-glass-ban-in-pubs-and-clubs/story-e6frg143-1226052130391

Seriously though it`s not something that Im aware of happening on a regular basis in SEcret Harbour and I have a lot of friends living in that Suburb.

blimey...I missed that story..... thanks for the link.

Sadly unless you live alone on a remote island.... you're bound to encounter crime and violence everywhere at some point

Firstly you have to remember that there's not a lot that happens in WA, so a glassing is big news. There is also a campaign to change all pint glasses to safety glass, so it gets high profile. In Brighton Sussex - you only hear about trouble if someone is badly hurt, and it only makes the local papers, not national new.

Secondly - the basic rules apply. If you want to get mugged or beaten up in Perth - then it's not that hard. But if you want to avoid trouble, you usually can.

Guest chris955

WA has as much violence and crime as anywhere else, it leads the country in some types of crime.

I agree though, as with many things people will complain about something in the UK and either make excuses for it here or just ignore it.

Generally speaking you are just as likely to be a victim of crime here as you would be in the UK which means basically the chances aren't huge.

i do laugh sometimes, peeps say they leaving uk cos of violence then defend it when it happens in oz,

dont read about i say, unlucky if you directly affected

Guest Karen and Colin

Thanks guys. Just got me thinking if we should be changeing the areas we have been looking at. We really liked Secret Harbour so it just put doubts in my mind. Suppose we will get a real feel for the area when we actually live there.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

From what i have read before on PIO ........... Secret Harbour is a low crime area and i don't think you have anything to worry about.

From what i have read before on PIO ........... Secret Harbour is a low crime area and i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks guys. Just got me thinking if we should be changeing the areas we have been looking at. We really liked Secret Harbour so it just put doubts in my mind. Suppose we will get a real feel for the area when we actually live there.

There's a section in the local free paper that reports the previous weeks reported crimes.... Secret Harbour had a burglary last week.... some weeks...there are NO reported crimes.. now for my money...that's not bad going considering the number of homes in Secret Harbour... I'm sure there are crimes that are not reported but on the whole that seems pretty good going to me iyswim!

I think SH is a good family area, pretty low crime rate compared to other areas. You are always going to get crime in one form or another unfortunately , no matter where you go. I was affected by crime when I lived in Hampshire and I`ve been affected by crime here -neither place is Shangri -la, it`s just about keeping it in persepctive.

I like Secret Harbour - family orientated. Not heard anything bad.

Apparently they are extending SH further - almost into Golden Bay with a big dividing wall from the main road to the new estate. Not sure how true this is or how relevant but heard some folk talking about 20% of the new houses being allocated as state housing.

Freo can be a little intimidating after dark. I have travelled on the midland line and Armadale line and felt a little uneasy. But like others have said - crime is everywhere, all around the world.

sunni

Guest chris955

This link is a few years old but it gives you an idea.

http://www.viacorp.com/perth-suburbs-by-burglaries.html

The lowest rate per 1000 homes for burglary was 8, the highest was over 300 :shocked:although only 4 over 100.

SH is at 63 so that put it above average for the majority but probably not enough to really worry about, unless you go out in the bush you wont escape crime unfortunately.

Archived