Where do you buy airtickets?

jinn

Hi all

Australian dream is over and it's time to return to normality, but I have found today isn't cheap.

Where do you buy airtickets to move back to the UK?

I checked some "deals" in local travel agencies, also made a phone call to British travel agent and was told they can't help me much as travel fares are higher while buying in Oz than in the UK (so why everybody tries to convince me Oz is cheaper than the UK???). Looks like traveling to Oz from the UK is cheaper than vice versa, however distance is the same!!!! and petrol is more expensive in Europe....

Maybe somebody could recommend me a good, reliable website or travel agent to buy one way ticket, and no rip off.

I found that if you go directly to the airlines websites - etihad, emirates, singapore air etc, get their price then phone up Flight Centre and ask them for a quote, they say they will beat any cheaper quote you can get, so once you've got their quote tell them what you have found and they will beat it. I got an extra $50 off the ticket by doing that. :)

Guest Sue1203
Hi all

Australian dream is over and it's time to return to normality, but I have found today isn't cheap.

Where do you buy airtickets to move back to the UK?

I checked some "deals" in local travel agencies, also made a phone call to British travel agent and was told they can't help me much as travel fares are higher while buying in Oz than in the UK (so why everybody tries to convince me Oz is cheaper than the UK???). Looks like traveling to Oz from the UK is cheaper than vice versa, however distance is the same!!!! and petrol is more expensive in Europe....

Maybe somebody could recommend me a good, reliable website or travel agent to buy one way ticket, and no rip off.

Hi ya

Can I just ask why the australian dream is over? Its just we are heading over in a couple of months and I am just wondering what the reason for your move back is (hope you don't mind me asking)

Many thanks

Sue

x

Guest Sue1203
Hey what happened (if its not a rude question) why are you deciding to return to the Uk and have long have you been here?

I ask because we have been here 6 months and so far its been...disappointing

Hi Blobby

Can I ask why you find oz disappointing...what part are you in?

Cheers

Sue

x

Guest JT1977

I agree with 2Tigers, I have found FlightCentre the cheapest so far, no matter how much I have looked around.

You really need to pick your dates with flights too. I book from the UK, usually using opodo, which I know is no help, but it may give you an idea of when the cheapest time to travel is.

I imagine prices are sky high at the moment because off the wedding, and then there will be a rise for the olympics in 2012. Try and pick outside of school holidays is your best chance.

• 3 weeks later...

I aint sure but I think Air asia do that one way book your own flight thing. It leaves here to say Kuala Lumper (spell check) and then to stanstead. all up about $850 (but with that over-nighter, which imho is better anyway). could be wrong of course, but Im sure I priced something simliar a few months back.

I always tend to book with the airlines website direct and tend to fly Qantas - they have some good deals when you look closely. A one way ticket is going to cost you relatively more though so get a price on returns as well - even if you dont use the return portion

We went direct with Singapore Airlines we found in February the prices jumped considerably so we left in January. Me and my two girls (two adults one child) flew home on a one way for $1800 it was a supersaver so we couldn't change the dates at any point. My husband flew home in April and just for himself it was $1150 with Malaysian Airlines through the Flight Centre.

Good luck with your move back.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget travel agents.... they have exactly the same fares as the airlines these days, in which case best buy direct as if you have to change your date or cancel you go by just the airlines published rules. Agents make them up to favour their own profit so a ticket that is $100 non refundable will be sold to you as $200 non refundable so they make on it- same with date changes. the days of getting half price tickets via an agent are long gone. best buys out of Australia are malaysia and Etihad. Sad to say mate, that yes, it will cost you a whole lot more than what you paid to come out.

Guest Scotinaus

To those who have recently moved here... I have moved countries twice, once to Canada and once to Oz seven years ago (still here!) and I think it takes at least 12 months to settle in anywhere. It look like we will be heading back to the UK in six months or so for various reasons and I am very sad about it, although obviously there are some plusses to going back... And we plan on coming back to Oz in a few years!

Re: flights I always use Best Flights or Zuji

We used Best flights, but it is much more expensive leaving Oz. To be honest we would have paid anything-8 months was long enough.

Connie you sound like you had a bad experience because 8 months is a holiday not a life change. Not sure what you're story is, maybe you should share it.

IMHO 8 months is way more than a holiday and IT IS A LIFE CHANGE.

How rude

Disagree Thorpey, but everyone's different.

My point was that something quite dramatic must have happened to Connie to go home after such a short time in Australia. Years of planning cut short after 8 months. I know Australia isn't for everyone, and a lot depends on where you settle and what you expect when you get here. When I first settled in Sydney an older workmate from Glasgow advised me to make sure I gave it 3 years to see how I adjusted, which turned out to be sound advice. But as I say everyone's different. Didn't mean to offend.

Guest Fr33zing
Disagree Thorpey, but everyone's different.

My point was that something quite dramatic must have happened to Connie to go home after such a short time in Australia. Years of planning cut short after 8 months. I know Australia isn't for everyone, and a lot depends on where you settle and what you expect when you get here. When I first settled in Sydney an older workmate from Glasgow advised me to make sure I gave it 3 years to see how I adjusted, which turned out to be sound advice. But as I say everyone's different. Didn't mean to offend.

Maybe she just didn't like Australia? I'm sure she will emerge in this thread to tell you why

Archived