gr8leo87

After reading this article few days back, I believe that ASIO will no longer conduct security checks of asylum seekers. Instead DIAC will carryout security chekcs of these asylum seekers.

There is no indication in this or other related news that security checks of skilled immigrants will not be conducted anymore. What i believe is that Security checks of HR applicants will be carryied out as already in practice.

Alibajwa please check the below mentioned TEXT in RED

"Changes to Security Clearance Arrangements

ASIO will reduce the number of security clearances conducted for applicants for migration to Australia, and is budgeted to save $6.9 million over the next 4 years.

Under the new arrangements, security clearances will only be required where the applicant is likely to be a risk. However, security clearances will still be required for all boat arrivals. Currently, security clearances can lead to significant delays in processing of visa applications - these can take 12 months or more for some countries. This change is a welcome one as it removes a significant processing bottleneck, and it is hoped that processing times for people applying for migration to Australia can be reduced."

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hellorajshahi
Hello Rajshahi,

The Govt. has recently decide not to conduct anmore security check as it takes a long time and money. Gvt. can save upto 5 m a year if there is no security check for GSM. As you friend got the CO in May means he/she is luckly coz the file has not been sent to ASIO for check. You may have got the case officer before that and your file has been sent for security check. Wait... I have waited 9 months after CO allocation and I am from Bangladesh Cat-3.

Thank you for your information. Thanks a lot. Pray for me

Funny how some rules apply retrospectively while others don't.

When DIAC changed SOL, got rid of CSL it stuffed up a lot of people because they applied the rules retrospectively. Now with security checks they don't when it would have helped us all here if they did.

When DIAC changed SOL, got rid of CSL it stuffed up a lot of people because they applied the rules retrospectively. Now with security checks they don't when it would have helped us all here if they did.

Well thats where luck come in to play :huh: Sometimes in your favor and sometime not :twitcy:

Guest frustrate

This is not the first time that they (DIAC, ASIO, Mr. Minister etc.etc.) have beaten the logic, their past practices are evident that their proposed and enforced changes have nothing to do with senses/logic. They just used to come up with thought-less, random changes without doing proper homework and working out who is going to be affected and how? To me it's just the power game that they're playing. The don't have any sensible answer to their strategies. I was reading that Mr. Minister says he can't do anything to help CAT4 people with their application processing since they're all hairdressers and cooks (whereas I know many CAT4 applicants who are Phds, Masters and degree-holders by education and professionals and technologists by profession).

Look at the way that they changed the priority processing. I was amongst top priorities being CSL + Model but the overnight rules changed threw my application to CAT4 that was deemed to be non-processable anymore? Huh.....

There is no difference in Software developer and software engineer in most if not all parts of the world I believe, but they've pushed one in CAT4 and other in CAT3....just funny. Keeping their funny practices in view, I hope we'll see more and more such fun in future...

Hi All,

I just wanted to share the timelines of one of my friend who is not a member of PIO.

A friend of mine (from Pakistan) in Cat 3 just got visa today (14th June) he had applied for 175 visa on 14th Jan & his meds & PCCs were done somewhere in April 2010. But he was granted visa today and he has to arrive Oz before September 2011. So, some hope for candidates from HR countries.

Guest frustrate
Hi All,

I just wanted to share the timelines of one of my friend who is not a member of PIO.

A friend of mine (from Pakistan) in Cat 3 just got visa today (14th June) he had applied for 175 visa on 14th Jan & his meds & PCCs were done somewhere in April 2010. But he was granted visa today and he has to arrive Oz before September 2011. So, some hope for candidates from HR countries.

If you ask "how was that???", I'd definitely say it was a good shout...:wink:

Hi All,

can you provide more details? Like his form80 original and subsequent submissions? when did his external checks started? Any job verifications?

can you provide more details? Like his form80 original and subsequent submissions? when did his external checks started? Any job verifications?

Well to be honest he is not aware about date of start if external checks. He told me that he submitted all the required documents in April 2010 before moving to UK for his MBA. He was not following at all his Oz visa process and he was hoping that the process take some more time as he is still in the middle of his MBA.

Actually he wants some advice also, if anyone has faced with similar a problem. According to the grant e-email he should go to Oz before 14th Sept. The email mentions that this date is non-negotiable. But he can not go before this date because of his commitment with studies. Can someone guide what should he do? Should he contact the consulate or should he contact the CO for extension of this date?

Guest frustrate
Well to be honest he is not aware about date of start if external checks. He told me that he submitted all the required documents in April 2010 before moving to UK for his MBA. He was not following at all his Oz visa process and he was hoping that the process take some more time as he is still in the middle of his MBA.

Actually he wants some advice also, if anyone has faced with similar a problem. According to the grant e-email he should go to Oz before 14th Sept. The email mentions that this date is non-negotiable. But he can not go before this date because of his commitment with studies. Can someone guide what should he do? Should he contact the consulate or should he contact the CO for extension of this date?

It is in the powers of CO to extend the entry date under certain circumstances. In my opinion, he should give it a try and bring CO in light about his situation and request an extension. If he couldn't find the positive answer, then he should contact a registered agent for further advice.

Another movement for applicants of HR countries. Another friend of mine (from Pakistan) applied for 175 in March 2010, he got the CO somewhere in May, and today he got the email from his CO for meds. I have asked my friend for more specific timelines. He will reply in a couple of hours. This looks good, atleast something is happening. I hope people stuck from 2009 & 2010 on PIO see the same movement soon. Lets see bu I am getting a lil excited.

Another movement for applicants of HR countries. Another friend of mine (from Pakistan) applied for 175 in March 2010, he got the CO somewhere in May, and today he got the email from his CO for meds. I have asked my friend for more specific timelines. He will reply in a couple of hours. This looks good, atleast something is happening. I hope people stuck from 2009 & 2010 on PIO see the same movement soon. Lets see bu I am getting a lil excited.

Dear Ezy Going

I think you are right my friend.

According to BEUPDATE and after watching few time lines share on PIO, my conclusion is

"Avg. Time for Medical and PCC request is 10 months for pakistani applicants. i.e those applicants who got CO in August 2010 and they submitted there Form 80 in Aug or sep 2010 are receiving Medical requests."

Off course this is not Hard and fast rule but its happening now .... and I am v much optimistic that we will get our calls soon ....

If we Pakistanis are getting calls frequently then i am sure others will get them soon.

Cheers

Guest frustrate
Dear Ezy Going

I think you are right my friend.

According to BEUPDATE and after watching few time lines share on PIO, my conclusion is

"Avg. Time for Medical and PCC request is 10 months for pakistani applicants. i.e those applicants who got CO in August 2010 and they submitted there Form 80 in Aug or sep 2010 are receiving Medical requests."

Off course this is not Hard and fast rule but its happening now .... and I am v much optimistic that we will get our calls soon ....

If we Pakistanis are getting calls frequently then i am sure others will get them soon.

Cheers

I don't disagree with you people yet I've a little different observation. I knew a few (at least 4 people) who submitted form80 in march/april 2010 and are yet to get medical calls. But still I've seen many applicants from Pakistan who submitted form80 even after mid 2010 and have got medical calls. So the DIAC/ASIO magic is still at work.

Now my analysis about this whole situation is as below:

1. DIAC doesn't submit all cases for verification to ASIO (so these cases would've quickest processing times).

2. ASIO doesn't perform thorough verification on all cases received from DIAC and some cases are cleared just after basic checks (so these cases will have a little more processing time than the cases mentioned at 1 but still acceptable)

3. ASIO does perform thorough verification on some cases where they feel/observe some signs of suspicions (so these cases will definitely have extraordinary long processing times...as we've recently seen some Pakistani candidates did get security clearance in as long as 20 months)

So my dear brothers, some lucky Pakistani's got their cases processed very quickly since their applications were categorized in category 1 above. The others still got their cases processed within reasonable time frame being on category 2 above. The remaining unlucky people caught in lengthy thorough security clearances after being determined (by ASIO) as category 3 cases.

I fear mine is category 3 case as even after 14 months I'm yet to get medical call....

Wishing everyone all the best

He is probably processed under the new rules where DIAC only does security checks on those they feel will be at risk instead of sending all Pakistanis/Iranians/Bangladeshis to security checks.

Check Faysal's post above.

Don't think that will affect people like most of us here who got CO several months to a year ago.

He is probably processed under the new rules where DIAC only does security checks on those they feel will be at risk instead of sending all Pakistanis/Iranians/Bangladeshis to security checks.

Don't think that will affect people like most of us here who got CO several months to a year ago.

Well I do not think so, because they had their COs allocated since mid of 2010. This new policy of D.I.A.C has just come in to play since May 2011. Their cases must be with ASIO before the policy of handling cases within D.I.A.C was implemented. So I guess ASIO consumed these 11-12 months doing the external checks.

Guest frustrate

It is now a well-known fact that due to mismanagement of ASIO, a big big backlog has been created. I've read at least a couple of last Aussies parliament session's proceedings and continuous questions are being raised by members about this backlog and long delays from ASIO. Despite the issuance of a warning from DIAC to ASIO back in 2010 fearing a possible backlog, ASIO did nothing and hence the backlog created the expected mess. Now the things can't be overturned at once. So to cope with this big mismanaged backlog, now the policies are being made and executed. One of such measure was the training of DIAC staff by ASIO to perform initial scrutiny of the applicants So now the processing line will be...

DIAC staff will do the initial scrutiny of the applications against the security parameters defined by ASIO. If the case gets cleared, move it to processing queue otherwise hand it over to ASIO. Then ASIO will analyse the case and if required will perform thorough verification (which will definitely take long times) otherwise will clear the case simply after performing basic checks. DIAC is planning to offer same-day clearance service in near future but it is not yet offered.

I hope this helps to many who are looking into security checks matters...

Well I do not think so, because they had their COs allocated since mid of 2010. This new policy of D.I.A.C has just come in to play since May 2011. Their cases must be with ASIO before the policy of handling cases within D.I.A.C was implemented. So I guess ASIO consumed these 11-12 months doing the external checks.

Sorry I thought you meant he got CO in May this year not last that why. Anyway then its a good news.

It is now a well-known fact that due to mismanagement of ASIO, a big big backlog has been created. I've read at least a couple of last Aussies parliament session's proceedings and continuous questions are being raised by members about this backlog and long delays from ASIO. Despite the issuance of a warning from DIAC to ASIO back in 2010 fearing a possible backlog, ASIO did nothing and hence the backlog created the expected mess. Now the things can't be overturned at once. So to cope with this big mismanaged backlog, now the policies are being made and executed. One of such measure was the training of DIAC staff by ASIO to perform initial scrutiny of the applicants So now the processing line will be...

DIAC staff will do the initial scrutiny of the applications against the security parameters defined by ASIO. If the case gets cleared, move it to processing queue otherwise hand it over to ASIO. Then ASIO will analyse the case and if required will perform thorough verification (which will definitely take long times) otherwise will clear the case simply after performing basic checks. DIAC is planning to offer same-day clearance service in near future but it is not yet offered.

I hope this helps to many who are looking into security checks matters...

Yeah I read about it. But the million dollar question is, will it save us people who have been waiting from 2010 till last month when rules changed? Looking at Ezy Going's friends case, I really really hope it does.

Problem is COs are completely zipped about this security check business. My CO won't even use the words "security". He'll only say "its going through further checks". So its hard to get any concrete info out.

Guest frustrate
Yeah I read about it. But the million dollar question is, will it save us people who have been waiting from 2010 till last month when rules changed? Looking at Ezy Going's friends case, I really really hope it does.

Problem is COs are completely zipped about this security check business. My CO won't even use the words "security". He'll only say "its going through further checks". So its hard to get any concrete info out.

Did anybody try to ask his CO this question? I fear the new rules wouldn't save us since we're already in the hands of ASIO....

Guest frustrate
Hi frustrate, Why don't you ask IGIS about an update on your security checks?

I've heard that they don't bother to reply anymore...and even if they do, I believe they simply give an administrative reply which is of no use at all. Once I made a query around middle of last year (2010) and got the templated reply that my case has been referred to ASIO. Nothing useful could be extracted from that letter anymore. You know there is an interesting thing, IGIS do assign a reference no. to all queries while replying and logically that no. should be unique for each query/applicant. But it was discovered later that IGIS does use the same reference no. while replying many applicants. This indicates some serious flaw/blunder in their system. I believe IGIS is also not making any useful query to ASIO except the verification that your case has been referred to them or not. IGIS used to write in that typical template-mail that, "in response to my query, I've come to know that there is no delay or hurdle in processing of this case...". This is incorrect and IGIS does send this reply even if the file of the candidate is buried under a big pile of files and is not being picked even. So I think it is no use to contact IGIS as well....So lets wait this is what we can do no matter how much painful is this but we're left with no other option....

So judging by info provided by Ezy Going, it could be possible that they started processing under new system in lodgement order.

Both his friends have one thing in common and that is both lodged early 2010.

Fingers crossed thats the case.

So judging by info provided by Ezy Going, it could be possible that they started processing under new system in lodgement order.

Both his friends have one thing in common and that is both lodged early 2010.

Fingers crossed thats the case.

Not just lodged in early 2010 but also they got CO after couple of months it means they were CSL applicants ....

Here is the response of my friend with the exact dates of his time line:

I have lodged the application on 4th march 2010 ...I have got CO on 25th march, 2010 & she asked me to send form 80 & 1221i form.....I have sent her back on 4th April, 2010 & the online status status changes

Assuming that his case was forwarded to ASIO somewhere in April (after sending form 80), it means that ASIO took 13 months to clear his case.

And yes musmanasghar both were CSL applicants. Good thing is that there is movement and may be ASIO will improve the pace now since there will be less load on them due to less referrals from DIAC. But we all who had COs before May 2011 would be referred to ASIO.

Archived