Buy house completed or build?

cartertucker

We have been looking around & we love the look of new areas, so have been considering building our own home

But on the other hand, we have seen in the estate agents papers, sometimes those new houses are being sold

So which, in your opinion is the better option? :unsure:

Guest JK2510

It's a toughie!

We live the new houses as there is nothing to do apart from painting and flooring. The biggest issue I have is the land size and the straight roads very neat but a little too neat for my liking! Lol

We love the older suburbs but we stand a good chance of have to replace kitchens and bathrooms! You also get more land and the street layouts are good!

I know it's still awhile before we buy but I'm sooo torn as to what we should do!

We also want to get married in the next few years but i'm worried that will be put on the backburner!!

We had a deposit down on a block of land but pulled out as the house costs started spiralling and the timeframe kept slipping. The house we were to end up with was going to be nothing like the show house we had been in, and liked. To get the finish the same costs a fortune on top of the price they quote you. I did anticipate extra costs but it got too prohibitive.

We bought a 5 yr old house and decided to redecorate and get r/c a/c installed and it look like new.

Doesn't really add anything to the discussion, sorry!

We built our own house after buying block of vacant land on a well established 'Australian' street................

As previous poster has stated, you have to be on the ball when viewing showhouses as what you see aint what you get................unless you are willing to fork out mega $$$$'s

We were happy with the build, the builders and the house when completed but I would not be so quick to build if I had my time over again.

Me...I would go for a pre-built house...only cause I am very impatient and would hate the wait of a build.....you can get some new builds that have never been lived in up for sale.

Just my opinion though Kelly..good luck with your decision. xx

That would be ideal for us...:yes: I assume they would be listed on the main real estate sites?

we are at the mo struggling with the same question kelly ....we have looked at lots of established houses ....and lots of plans for new houses ....the main diff is the land size .....when u first look at newbuilds u think ....god could i really get all this for less than established ....well the truth is no u cant !!!! .....like others have said when the house is completed u can then add xxx amount of dollars on to get it looking the same .....along with the fact that u have to rent while urs is being built .....which in most cases is about 9 months ....money that could be in the meantime paying of ur mortgage in established ....it really is a toughie ....but i know several peeps who have built...and they reckon the would never do it again ...mostly because of the stress involved and having to pay out for things they never thought of ......so in answer to ur original question .......i dont really know either :biglaugh:......sorry

mrs keily

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kelly

When we first arrived we rented a couple of houses one of them was a new build, to be honest we were very disappointed and were thankful that we hadn't paid for it building ourselves. This really put us off going for a land and house package. However, we loved the show homes, everything is done to top spec, even the paint is washable and the carpets are durable. At the time, to get the house we wanted up to show room quality it would have cost us an extra $57k. In the end we bought an ex display house, it came complete with the furniture and was perfect. So personally, if I had to choose again I would get one that I could see the final product and I would most definitely buy an ex display house again.

I've heard a few horror stories from people who've built. Usually how much they overspend, problems with the finish date, problems with the standard of finish, cost of landscaping etc. A lot of the new builds look like a new house plonked on a sand pit with not a shrub, tree or any greenery in site. I've heard that the temperature in the newer suburbs can be a lot hotter than older suburbs, with a bit of bush and trees around them. Common sense really, no shade anywhere and the heat just builds up. A few degrees can make a lot of difference.

The advantage of buying in an established area is you get to check out the neighbourhood too. Pays to have a look at the neighbours houses and make sure you aren't surrounded by 10 cars parked outside a house with unkempt gardens. Signs of a lot of rental properties around can mean that houses won't be looked after so well.

Guest tandcmum

NOt over there yet or anywher near but it is something I have often pondered. We love new build houses and love the thought of building your own from scratch, choosing layout, finishes etc. but after seeing some threads on other forums about the delays and the issues and the extra costs that incur I also would be tempted to buy an established house.

I have seen some new houses on real estate sites ready to move into which could be an answer, also I would look at houses which are maybe just a couple of years old as they will have any snags sorted and flooring, blinds, landscaping organised.

I must admit from window shopping on real estate sites I am starting to fal in love wih some well established houses with lovely established gardens, pools already in place and maybe just needing a lick or two of paint to freshen them up and make them your own, however until we get there its hard to say what we will end up doing

Guest Guest16631

Have done both and would choose an established house now ,the new build was fine when we were younger ,:smile:bUt planting out the gardens putting pool in and changing a few of the layouts was stressful and expensive but now when we drive past 11 years later it looks ideal............!!!

Guest Guest16631

It was mainly just the plants and putting in a driveway..............we chose to build out of town so this created its own problems...............so also need to think of maintaining it, :smile:

Some great replies here, thankyou all so much :notworthy:

I think we have now decided that building our own home isnt something we want to take on right now (mayby when we are older & looking at retiring to Mindarie waterfront!!! :laugh::wink:)

With a young Family (youngest being just 3 months) the stress of a build is not what we want for our new lives in Australia :no:

So....We have decided to look at more established areas, but try & get a newer type home...:yes:

Also we will look at the ex-display homes in the newer areas (as moving2melbourne suggested) :wink: Where did you find details of ex-display homes? :unsure:

Another thing to consider is, if moving to a newly developed area, you could face the prospect of living on a building site for 5 years. OK, your house will be done, dusted and landscaped but that doesn't mean to say the blocks next door or in your street will be. We used to live in Jindalee and half of that hasn't changed much in the last 3 years we've been here. If you've lived on the non-Quinns side of Jindalee Boulevard for the last 3 years, it must have been like living in a desert. Investors do buy blocks as well, with no intention of building (some landowners don't allow this, most do). So, you drive down some lovely roads then suddenly get to a 650m block of sand and weeds that just brings the whole place down. Personally, I think there should be a limit on how long a block can be left but currently there isn't.

Archived