Currency Exchange - lowest in 10 years

B1K3R

Its a real game currency trading - many winners and losers, but I still believe that although its going to take a long time (years..) the pound will bounce back and the dollar will shrink back .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Yes it will go back up, it always does but yes the time scale is the great uncertainty. From our point of view we want it to stay low or go a bit lower. Obviously whatever the situation it is good for some and bad for others.

Its a real game currency trading - many winners and losers, but I still believe that although its going to take a long time (years..) the pound will bounce back and the dollar will shrink back .

Hello all, there is another spin on this i feel. What if your in oz and the pound is getting worse as predicated before it gets better why not send your savings home and take advantage of this then when the pound gains strength send your money back??? Im no expert infact a long way off but its just an idea

Guest guest32776
Would you gain on the interest rate what you lost in exchange perhaps? Just a thought, I know savers are being offered next to nothing in the UK at the moment...

You can get 2.99% with no tax as an expat. You need to move your cash around each year or it drops down to 0.5 (ouch)

Oz is around 6% but with a lot of tax taken off.

Why I did better to lose a flight cost than a few $100,000?? but its my decion & we all have to make our own.

Nooooooo! You're right there! I agree!

In fact we wont be taking much money for now and thus wont buy a house in Oz but we'll rent for time being.

I agree with that mate, so we're only taking a cuppa thousands to start with. Then we'll see.

Cheers

B!K3R

In the UK my savings are tax free as i don`t work.Would this apply in Oz.Thanks Angela

The tax free threshold is $6000 per year or around $112 per week.

So if you earn less than this it will be tax free.

You will need to lodge your tax file number though, or tax will be deducted by the bank.

If that happens you would need to lodge a tax return to get it refunded.

I just paid a 40 pound cheque into my CBA account over here and got $51.63 for it.

Anyone beat that?

Cant beat that. Just had to move some money via papal which grandparents had sent for the kids for christmas. After conversion and fees, it worked out at 1.45 to the pound, but that's nothing compared to you 1.29 to the pound:shocked:

Well, the move has been planed long time ago with flights booked so there is no return back mate...

Cheers

B!K3R

Yep! You only live once bik3r and you may as well live in a place you want to be. I'm sure money is only one of the reasons you are emigrating. We didn't come out here to earn more and spend a lot of time at work. We came for the maximum amount of time off so we can enjoy it, and we do.

Its a funny old time we live in. $1.56 to the pound, 5 years ago if you'd placed a bet on that you'd have made a fortune.

Sadly, as much as I'd like to think it won't, I get the feeling the rate will remain quite low for a few years now. Reading the financial press here, it's not really too much to do with Oz or the UK but with just how booming the chinese economy is. The figures are really incredible.

While the chinese economy continues to grow so much, the demand for resources keeps up - and as a big provider of resources, Australia does benefit. I know its not quite that simple, but it pretty much paints the story. For those intending to come to oz, the Reserve Bank (= Bank of England) has already pretty much said that interest rates in oz will rise again next year - probably by 1% overall. That means an even stronger dollar. Not sure what the Bank of England has said about UK interest rates.

Its funny, someone said that after ww2 you could get US$10 to the pound (is that true?) Times change. I used to think the Aussie dollar would fall against the pound in the next couple of years, now for the first time I'm really not that sure...........

Archived