Currency Exchange - lowest in 10 years

B1K3R

Euro is down about 12 or 13 cents in 5 weeks.

I was on holidays in Europe from mid October to mid November and was generally converting at $1.41 or $1.42.

I've still got 100 euro cash at home which has devalued about $12 in the month its been sitting in my cupboardd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I know I will be called heartless and thoughtless but spare a thought for those going home, every cloud has a silver lining. The rate will change back but who knows when, the UK Government like it the way it is.

Guest chris955

There are people doing it tough in both countries. Look at the sales here and we didn't technically go through a recession like the UK did. Something that can be bad for some can be good for others but no-one should feel guilty for taking advantage of a situation.

There are people doing it tough in both countries. Look at the sales here and we didn't technically go through a recession like the UK did. Something that can be bad for some can be good for others but no-one should feel guilty for taking advantage of a situation.

I guess it's the way those comments are perceived by others.

I've got a job, well I'm alright jack.

I've got a great exchange rate I'm alright jack!

Should someone feel guilty? I guess it depends on a situation, if you take advantage of someone, yes you should, if you take advantage of a situation that you have no control over, NO!

But rubbing peoples mis fortunes in it, well that's just childish and poor form IMHO

Guest chris955

None of us have any control over what others post, we can only monitor our own posts.

I should add that I do realise you are having another go at me but I'm well used to your personal attacks by now. Like I must be making up my experiences because they don't match yours.

None of us have any control over what others post, we can only monitor our own posts.

I should add that I do realise you are having another go at me but I'm well used to your personal attacks by now. Like I must be making up my experiences because they don't match yours.

Not at all.

I guess it's the way those comments are perceived by others.

I've got a job, well I'm alright jack.

I've got a great exchange rate I'm alright jack!

Should someone feel guilty? I guess it depends on a situation, if you take advantage of someone, yes you should, if you take advantage of a situation that you have no control over, NO!

But rubbing peoples mis fortunes in it, well that's just childish and poor form IMHO

To be fair it works both ways, when people were going to oz and the rates were great those people did not care about people going back to the UK and getting terrible rates, so I think that is an unfair comment to be honest.

Personally I think you have to look at your reasons for emigrating. At the moment it's harsh if you move over here, but were your sole reasons a great exchange rate, cheap housing and working a few days a week to earn some pocket money? that's not the reality. You have to work blooming hard, it's expensive but in the evenings and weekends you get the quality of life (my opinion), what do you really want? It's an important question you need to ask yourselves....

Personally I think you have to look at your reasons for emigrating. At the moment it's harsh if you move over here, but were your sole reasons a great exchange rate, cheap housing and working a few days a week to earn some pocket money? that's not the reality. You have to work blooming hard, it's expensive but in the evenings and weekends you get the quality of life (my opinion), what do you really want? It's an important question you need to ask yourselves....

I'll go on foot to OZ if need be :laugh:

It's OK, I'm only going to loose a couple of hundreds, just being a drama queen TBO :wub:

Cheers

B!K3R

I'll go on foot to OZ if need be :laugh:

It's OK, I'm only going to loose a couple of hundreds, just being a drama queen TBO :wub:

Cheers

B!K3R

B!k3R! I've read enough of your posts to know just how much this all means to you and from the bottom of my heart I really do wish you all the best xxx

What I do not understand is that the footsie went past 6000 today and they were saying the economy is going in the right direction, if this keeps up the good news is that the pound will get stronger and you going to Oz will get more for your buck.

Late rally takes FTSE over 6000

PA

Thursday, 23 December 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/late-rally-takes-ftse-over-6000-2168145.html

To be fair it works both ways, when people were going to oz and the rates were great those people did not care about people going back to the UK and getting terrible rates, so I think that is an unfair comment to be honest.

Same applies both ways, I came to England when the £ was high, house prices high. But to be fair that is the norm, what we are seeing at the minute isn't. People that came to Australia 3 years ago and going home are making a killing and good luck to them and I don't think anyone on PIO would wish them anything else but well wishes. :notworthy:

But at the same time I don't think it's right to brag how great things are for yourself when others are doing it tough.

I bought this house for this, now I can sell for this and since house prices in the UK are low WOW look what I can buy :jiggy:BTW Australia is crap, expensive, blah, blah, blah......

I look at the exchange rate from a pragmatic viewpoint,IE this site is "mainly" for people wanting to migrate "to" oz,theres a "lot" more migrating than coming back,so it would be better for the "majority" on here if the £ was doing a bit better????cant see it tho.

What I do not understand is that the footsie went past 6000 today and they were saying the economy is going in the right direction, if this keeps up the good news is that the pound will get stronger and you going to Oz will get more for your buck.

PA

Late rally takes FTSE over 6000 - Business News, Business - The Independent

Have a look at the constiuent members of the FTSE100. 5 of the top ten are oil/gas and mining companies. These are good indicators of what is happening to the global economy, as much as the UK economy, which is going well.

Also, if your currency is gash, maybe overseas folks are happy to pay a few more £ for a few more shares.

Cheers.

As I mentioned before, I think the pound sentiment is affected greatly by the Euro sentiment.

While Euro is seen as having major troubles it will be unlikely for the pound to go strongly in the other direction.

So I think the Eurozone needs to get sorted out before the pound also improves.

Guest guest32776

PA

Late rally takes FTSE over 6000 - Business News, Business - The Independent

The top performing companies that have been driving the FTSE higher have tended to be the ones with earnings from markets other than the UK. Also, commodities have been up again recently - which drives the AUD higher. There will be a correction, but not yet I'm afraid.... I expect the mining super tax to reappear in the New Year - that will do some damage to the AUD.

Archived