Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

Hi Clare,

i've heard on here to bring your warm clothes bedding etc as it does get chilly in perth in winter,

I'm planning on throwing an 07 double cab Nissan Navara or something in a container and bringing that as well as everything in the house bar wardrobes etc,the pickup is 2nd hand about 10 k here in the North and about 40-50 k over there! i think its the way to go,look up Gumtree in Oz to see the difference in car prices wash machines etc.

They will charge import duty and some thing else on the car,think 30%

If it comes to it im gona buy all new stuff here,tools etc and leave in their boxes! :wink:

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought 2 new beds to bring. Also lots of bedding and underwear for all as seemingly their very expensive over there.

As far as customs are concerned you have to have owned and used everything you bring for more than 12 months, so maybe take things out of the boxes or ruff the boxes up a bit. I don't know if they check that closely but wouldn't do any harm.

Does anyone know if you can bring feather duvets and pillows?

yeah, i've heard that year thing,but it depends on how rough u are with things, my 2wk old tools look as rough as f........................lol

Yeah on the other hand, i have heard that about importing cars etc,

i have an 05 truck but might sell soon and get a newer one,

a year of use is what they want!

Can't see me there gettin there any sooner '

dont know about the bedding stuff,be safer to dump and bring new?

Pack new stuff with no packaging.

I just bought 2 new beds to bring. Also lots of bedding and underwear for all as seemingly their very expensive over there.

As far as customs are concerned you have to have owned and used everything you bring for more than 12 months, so maybe take things out of the boxes or ruff the boxes up a bit. I don't know if they check that closely but wouldn't do any harm.

Does anyone know if you can bring feather duvets and pillows?

dont think you can bring feather duvets & pillows - i think i read that on this forum somewhere.

and yes - duvets &pillow & underwear are much more expensive than ireland!!!

Hi foks,

Hope you've all survived the trip to the polls! :eek:

Just a quick one about money transfers....

We have a bit of money we'll need to transfer to AUD$ when/if we finally get the go ahead and I was just wondering if anyone has used any of those money transfer services or if they've just sent it through the banks?

I have an aussie bank account and when i had to transfer money previously I did it between my irish and aussie bank accounts but as this is a slightly larger chunk of change and as the exchange rate is a bit pants I want to try to lose as little as possible in the process!

Any hints/ ideas?

Thanks muchly :wubclub:

Caz

Guest allieanddermo

Havent got to the polls yet.... Still undecided.....

We used Hifx when we went to Oz 2007 found them very helpful at the time and got a good rate at the time.

We had to register with them here first and then it was all very straight forward...

Good luck with it all, the rates are a bit dismal at the moment though....

Allie

Havent got to the polls yet.... Still undecided.....

We used Hifx when we went to Oz 2007 found them very helpful at the time and got a good rate at the time.

We had to register with them here first and then it was all very straight forward...

Good luck with it all, the rates are a bit dismal at the moment though....

Allie

Thanks allieanddermo,

Just had a quick look at them there online - they seem to be a UK company, does this affect the exchange at all?

I wasn't aware we could go through uk firms but i suppose as they're in the business of foreign exchange it doesn't much matter what currency you give them does it? :unsure:

will have a look around online and see what they're all offering! :smile:

Ta

Guest allieanddermo

Yes thats what we did at the time and they were all vary similar...

You could probably talk to your own Irish Bank and see will they do a deal???

After we had done our deal a friend who worked in TSB told me they wouldn't charge the normal fees

when you transfer large sums........

Dont know if I would trust any of them with my money now????

I used this company last week:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/106283-transfering-gbp-aud.html#post997924

They saw the post and sent me an email saying they were hoping to get GBP to AUD transfers much more quickly, and that EUR to AUD transfers were going to be ca. 3 days anyway.

They have their offices in the UK I think, but are incorporated in Ireland (for tax purposes I'm guessing).

Guest Seipeal1

Hi all,

We have been in Adelaide for the last 2 years and we used HIFX several times. Had no problems with them, service first class and we saved a packet using them compared to banks. Straightforward service and well worth it. Hope this helps.

Guest cazbob

hurray finally got my nomination through tonight! :D

e457 app is ready to go just a final read through and i'll submit in the morning... it's all getting a bit real now! :D

hurray finally got my nomination through tonight! :D

e457 app is ready to go just a final read through and i'll submit in the morning... it's all getting a bit real now! :D

That's great news Caz I've been on every day to see if you had heard anything, delighted for you, won't be long now the hard part is done.

Keep us posted.

Maria.x

Guest cazbob

Thanks all!

Maria - thats so sweet! of course i'll keep you posted, dya think my obsessive streak will disappear that quickly?? you'll all be sick of me moaning how long the 457 is taking to come through now! :P

BrisDubBris - yup we're SA bound, my job is in Adelaide city centre, cannot wait! :D

Archived