Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you have the advantage of being a local! I was blown away by how child friendly perth was. I have heard people talk about the lifestyle which I thought meant surfing and bbqs. But it is more than that. I loved the space and it just seemed so geared towards families. I think we will be very happy there.

I am in no way a blind romantic, in fact my inital fear was that we wouldn't come back to Ireland if we left but if that happens I think I will be ok with it.

How old are your kids? Mine are 6 and 2.

Guest ClareRoche

It has been a busy few weeks

Mover here on Tuesday last and everything gone on its merry way to Adelaide not a bit stressful They were very quick and efficient!

Spend hours cleaning tools never want to see wire wool again !

Tickets booked for 29 of March got 40 kgs of luggage each with Singapore airlines so I was delighted with that

Accommodation got for a week outside

SA here we come:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest ClareRoche
exciting times! :D

what tools were they Clare?

who did u go with for your shipping?

Hi

We went with Careline in LImerick sent 450 sq ft volume I think My OH is a carpenter and we sent a big metal tool box full of hand drills screw guns ladders etc etc

Exciting times as right Looking forward to it now

Sharon X

Guest bren11

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can tell me what the deal is with getting a drivers licence in oz? going on a whv but am hoping to be extended...[fingers firmly crossed]...any onfo at all will be well recieved...they may even get a thank you...[no promises] :P

Guest Positivity

I know I went through 14 brillo pads cleaning my pots and pans!

Oh what a bad housewife I must be!

Guest Positivity

If you can try and get accomodation for a month rather than a week, we had it organised for 2 weeks and it wasn't long enough at all

Guest sinead

Morning all!!! Well i posted off the the application on Friday!! fun times!!! Just the waiting game now!!! didnt send the medical coz the Matter hospital said they wouldnt charge me a full medical when it probly wasnt needed, so wait to here back what they want and then ill get that done!!!! ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wnna book me flights!!! Has anyone else gone for partner migration?? It says 5 months on the website, wondering if it'll be quicker/longer or is that baout rite!! Will have to start looking into shipping again now and decide whats coming and whats not!!! LOL!! you'd swear i had the VISA already!!!

Guest sinead
Hi

We went with Careline in LImerick sent 450 sq ft volume I think My OH is a carpenter and we sent a big metal tool box full of hand drills screw guns ladders etc etc

Exciting times as right Looking forward to it now

Sharon X

Dya mind me asking how much it all cost?? did you bring everything???

Guest Positivity

Hi all,

I used C*&rline and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks, now they are saying ten weeks and they have not returned my calls, I would be slow to recommend them

Morning all!!! Well i posted off the the application on Friday!! fun times!!! Just the waiting game now!!! didnt send the medical coz the Matter hospital said they wouldnt charge me a full medical when it probly wasnt needed, so wait to here back what they want and then ill get that done!!!! ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wnna book me flights!!! Has anyone else gone for partner migration?? It says 5 months on the website, wondering if it'll be quicker/longer or is that baout rite!! Will have to start looking into shipping again now and decide whats coming and whats not!!! LOL!! you'd swear i had the VISA already!!!

Hi Sinead,

I've applied for spouse visa as well. Going to make the appointment for medicals on monday. They want a "a radiological examination if aged 11 years or over; and a medical examination regardless of age; and a HIV test if aged 15 or over"

Should be fun :jiggy:

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can tell me what the deal is with getting a drivers licence in oz? going on a whv but am hoping to be extended...[fingers firmly crossed]...any onfo at all will be well recieved...they may even get a thank you...[no promises] :P

It's state-dependent I believe but I don't think you need to worry about changing your license until you are thinking about permanent residency. Certainly not on a WHV. Even if you get sponsored it will probably be on a 457 and I don't think you have to change your license for that either.

Definitely check it out yourself. I looked it up over a month ago and can't really remember except that I didn't have to change mine any time soon (on a 457).

Guest sinead
Hi Sinead,

I've applied for spouse visa as well. Going to make the appointment for medicals on monday. They want a "a radiological examination if aged 11 years or over; anda medical examination regardless of age; and a HIV test if aged 15 or over"

Should be fun :jiggy:

When did you post off your app?? i just posted it friday so hopefully ill hear from them this week and then book it in!! its only the hubby that needs the tests done, he'll be delighted about getting needles!! i wont tell him that part!! its pretty full on isnt it!! dya have any idea of the cost?? you going the Matter aswell??

Guest loudu

we used c*&eline too and they were great. they told us 8-12weeks, it was either 10 or 11 weeks door to door (i think it was 10 but cant remember now), and that included time over the xmas period here when everything either shuts down or slows down for weeks.

everything got here in one piece with nothing damaged and the people we delt with were great too.

I wouldnt hesitate in reccomending them at all.

Hi all,

I used C*&rline and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks, now they are saying ten weeks and they have not returned my calls, I would be slow to recommend them

Guest Positivity
we used c*&eline too and they were great. they told us 8-12weeks, it was either 10 or 11 weeks door to door (i think it was 10 but cant remember now), and that included time over the xmas period here when everything either shuts down or slows down for weeks.

everything got here in one piece with nothing damaged and the people we delt with were great too.

I wouldnt hesitate in reccomending them at all.

Well fair enough, as I say we haven't recieved anything yet, and I'm just annoyed they told us 6-8 if it was going to be 10 fair enough just say 8-10

It irritates me that the person we booked it with she hasn't returned my calls or emailed me back

Guest loudu

That must be a pain alright, them not being contactable.

they were quite good with us when we were in ireland, well she wasnt good with emails but was grand once you rang her.

by the way, do you know that you can track your ship online, if you know the name of your ship (it should be on your documentation ) - just type it into google and search a few of the pages come up - one of the first ones gave us the route of the ship and when it was due to dock in australia. this might help give you a piece of mind.

once it docks in the port here, it can then take a couple of weeks to clear customs.

fingers crossed its not too much longer for you.

Well fair enough, as I say we haven't recieved anything yet, and I'm just annoyed they told us 6-8 if it was going to be 10 fair enough just say 8-10

It irritates me that the person we booked it with she hasn't returned my calls or emailed me back

When did you post off your app?? i just posted it friday so hopefully ill hear from them this week and then book it in!! its only the hubby that needs the tests done, he'll be delighted about getting needles!! i wont tell him that part!! its pretty full on isnt it!! dya have any idea of the cost?? you going the Matter aswell??

I'm trying not to think about the needles :chatterbox: I sent it off at the end of Jan but there was a delay in getting back to me. They normally respond in a couple of days. You then have 49 days to get medical and police check. Not sure of the cost but can't imagine that it will be cheap!! You're Australian yourself? Must be looking forward to heading back

Guest bren11
It's state-dependent I believe but I don't think you need to worry about changing your license until you are thinking about permanent residency. Certainly not on a WHV. Even if you get sponsored it will probably be on a 457 and I don't think you have to change your license for that either.

Definitely check it out yourself. I looked it up over a month ago and can't really remember except that I didn't have to change mine any time soon (on a 457).

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info...I'm being really lazy here but i don't suppose you know the deal with getting a licence over there if you don't have a full one here?....I'm sure there is some page on some government website somewhere which explains all in a round about way...via the north pole most likely....anyway any more info would be great but thanks anyway!!

You dont need to change your licence on a working holiday visa, but this is always subject to change.

This might help.

tasgovlogo.gif transport_logo.jpg

banner.jpeg

tas_gov_au_bg.gifContact | About Us | RTI | Accessibility | Disclaimer

DIER HOME | SITE MAP | REG STATUS SERVICE | TRAFFIC CAMERAS | PAYMENT | CONTACT

TransportLicence InformationTransferring an overseas licence

?a=6158

Transferring an overseas licence

Driving on your overseas licence

You can drive in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you -

• are a visitor OR

• have a temporary visa (e.g. international students, refugees, working, holiday) OR

• have a permanent visa that has not been issued more than 3 months

Note: A New Zealand driver licence holder is treated the same as a driver with an interstate licence, (see below)

When driving in Tasmania:

• you must carry your current overseas licence with you

• if your licence is NOT in English, you must also carry either an official translation of your licence OR a current International Driving Permit

• your overseas licence and International Driving Permit must be current (not expired, suspended or cancelled)

• you must not be disqualified from driving

Learner and provisional drivers

If you're a provisional driver, you must obey the Tasmanian provisional rules, including:

• displaying P-plates

• zero blood alcohol content

• 80 km/h maximum speed limit

• motorcycles - no pillion passengers for the first continuous 12 months

• motorcycles - restricted to Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)motorcycles for the first continuous 12 months

If you're a learner driver, you must obey the Tasmanian learner rules, including:

• displaying L-plates

• zero blood alcohol content

• 80 km/h maximum speed limit

• car have a supervisory driver seated next to you who holds a full Australian licence and had no suspensions or disqualifications in the past 2 years

• motorcycles - no pillion passenger can be carried unless the learner is under instruction and the instructor (pillion) has held a motorcycle licence (other than a learner licence) for a continuous period of at least 3 years and continues to hold such a licence

• motorcycles - restricted to Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) motorcyclespdfConvert.gif

• motorcycles - hold a motorcycle learner licence for a continuous period of at least 6 months as a pre-requisite to obtaining a provisional motorcycle licence.

Permanent Visa Holders

You may drive in Tasmania for up to 3 months from the date your permanent visa was issued if your overseas licence is current and you carry it while driving. If your overseas licence is not in English, you must also carry either:

• An International Driving Permit

or

• An English translation of your licence by a person accredited to translate

International Driving Permit or English translation

If your overseas licence is not in English, you must also carry either:

• An International Driving Permit

or

• An English translation of your licence by a person accredited to translate

Please note that you must pay the cost of the translation.

Some people may be eligible for a free translation of their driver licence from the Translating Interpreting Service if they are a migrant and hold a permanent visa less than 2 years old.

For more information see www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/help-with-english/learn-english/client/translation_help.htm

If you cannot produce your overseas licence a letter is required from the licensing authority in the country of issue or the appropriate consul or diplomatic mission.

Australian armed forces and Consular Officials

If you hold a Driver Identification Document issued by the Department of Defence, you are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Tasmanian driver licence.

Members of the Australian Armed Forces and consular officials are not subject to licence fees. Immediate family members who live with them do not have to transfer to a Tasmanian licence until their licence expires.

New Zealand drivers

If you hold a New Zealand licence, you can transfer to a Tasmanian driver licence in the same way as interstate licence holders, except you must pay the licence fee, see Transferring and Interstate Licence.

Ex-Australian licence

An Australian returning from overseas, who previously held a licence in Tasmania or other Australian jurisdiction within the past five years, is not required to undertake a knowledge or practical driving assessment.

Getting a Tasmanian Licence

You must get a Tasmanian licence within 3 months of a permanent residency visa being issued. If you don't, you will be driving unlicensed.

Minimum age requirements

You must meet the Tasmanian minimum age requirements for holding a licence -

• 16 years to hold a Tasmanian car learner licence, 16 years and 6 months to hold a Tasmanian motorcycle learner licence.

• 17 years to hold a Tasmanian provisional licence

• 20 years to hold a Tasmanian full licence

If you don't meet the age requirements, you cannot be issued with that licence type.

Exemption from licence tests

There is nationally agreed recognition of licences from certain countries that have similar licensing standards to Australia.

If you hold a current car or motorcycle licence from one of these countries, you will not have to take a knowledge test or an on-road driving test.

The following are the recognised countries:

AustriaBelgiumCanada Croatia

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Guernsey

Ireland

Italy

Isle of Man

Japan

Jersey

Luxembourg

Malta

Netherlands

Norway

Portugal

Singapore

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

United States of America

What you need to do to transfer your overseas Licence

To get a Tasmanian licence, you need to undertake the following in person at Service Tasmania shops or designated police stations:

• provide Full Evidence of Identity

• provide your overseas licence (and International Driving Permit or English translation if required)

• complete a licence application form

• pass a knowledge test on the Tasmanian road rules (if not from a recognised country, see table above for recognised countries)

• pass a practical driving assessment (if not from a recognised country see table above for recognised countries)

• have your photograph taken and provide your signature

If you cannot produce your overseas licence a letter is required from the licensing authority in the country of issue or the appropriate consul or diplomatic mission.

You do not have to take out a learner licence provided your overseas licence is current, however if you don't pass the practical driving assessment you will need to be issued with a Tasmanian learner licence and you are unable to drive on your overseas licence.

Customer receives

You will receive:

• receipt for fees paid

• receipted temporary licence, which is valid for 21 days

• a photo licence through the mail, which you should receive within 21 days from the date the Tasmanian licence was issued.

Payment

You will need to pay:

tasgovlogo_small.gif Tasmania Online | Service Tasmania | Contact | Top | Home

The page has been produced by The Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources.

Questions concerning its content may be directed by email to mailto:webmaster@dier.tas.gov.au

This page was last modified on 1st March 2011.

The URL for this page is: Transport: Transferring an overseas licence.

You are directed to the disclaimer and copyright notice ,DIER Personal Information Protection Policy and Personal Information Protection statement governing the information provided.

Archived