Any nurse here or in uk awaiting AHPRA registration? I applied with QNC...

Guest annieross

Hi everyone, I have been following this for a while now, and thought I would share my experience with you all. (a slightly shortened version) Seems we are all fed up of getting told misleading information!!!

I applied to AHPRA in the beginning of September, when I came to Brisbane. (previously applied to QLD board, but application sent back as AHPRA take over was about to commence.

I physically went into the office to hand in all of my documents, I did sit my IELTS, but failed by .5 on the writing. However, I was told that if I had evidence of Secondary school being taught and assessed in English, that would be sufficient.

So... 5 months down the line, after being lied to and told miss-leading information e,g, just waiting on police checks, numerous times, just awaiting a case manager, just waiting on this, that, the other, you know what I mean!!

I was finally told in December, that it hadn't even been looked at yet!!!

So, I wrote a formal letter of complaint, then all of a sudden I receive an e-mail!!!

Telling me that an initial assessment had been made on my application.

They informed me that there were documents that hadn't been certified correctly, and needed to be re-done (even though I paid a solicitor money to do it in the UK), My education certificates were not good enough for the English Language requirements!!!!!!

So, I went into the office again, to be told all I had to do was write out a stat dec, witnessed and signed by a JP (Luckily there was one in the office) and that is sufficient evidence apparently!

Also my 'Certificate of Good Standing' mysteriously went missing, or was never forwarded on from QLD board. So I have just paid again, for another one to be sent.

So, I am waiting to see what happens next... I have given them everything they requested, so it will now go smoothly and I will soon be registered!!

Well we can only hope!!! Good luck to everyone!!

What a nightmare! I have been trying to get registered from over here in Scotland, and hopefully have now delivered the lst two documents they have asked for, a c.v and proof of continuing education, which is not actually mentioned that they are needed for initial registration but hey ho! Good Luck!

Gill x

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Indented Head
Hi everyone, I have been following this for a while now, and thought I would share my experience with you all. (a slightly shortened version) Seems we are all fed up of getting told misleading information!!!

I applied to AHPRA in the beginning of September, when I came to Brisbane. (previously applied to QLD board, but application sent back as AHPRA take over was about to commence.

I physically went into the office to hand in all of my documents, I did sit my IELTS, but failed by .5 on the writing. However, I was told that if I had evidence of Secondary school being taught and assessed in English, that would be sufficient.

So... 5 months down the line, after being lied to and told miss-leading information e,g, just waiting on police checks, numerous times, just awaiting a case manager, just waiting on this, that, the other, you know what I mean!!

I was finally told in December, that it hadn't even been looked at yet!!!

So, I wrote a formal letter of complaint, then all of a sudden I receive an e-mail!!!

Telling me that an initial assessment had been made on my application.

They informed me that there were documents that hadn't been certified correctly, and needed to be re-done (even though I paid a solicitor money to do it in the UK), My education certificates were not good enough for the English Language requirements!!!!!!

So, I went into the office again, to be told all I had to do was write out a stat dec, witnessed and signed by a JP (Luckily there was one in the office) and that is sufficient evidence apparently!

Also my 'Certificate of Good Standing' mysteriously went missing, or was never forwarded on from QLD board. So I have just paid again, for another one to be sent.

So, I am waiting to see what happens next... I have given them everything they requested, so it will now go smoothly and I will soon be registered!!

Well we can only hope!!! Good luck to everyone!!

Ring your local Ombudsman ...... this cant carry on like this. If I won the lottery tommorrow I would spend evey penny on wiping the floor with this organsiation.

Ring your local Ombudsman ...... this cant carry on like this. If I won the lottery tommorrow I would spend evey penny on wiping the floor with this organsiation.

This is so disheartening, I have emailed AHPRA asking why my date has been changed for the board and have had no response.

Why have they asked for continuing education, do you have many years of nursing experience.

Ombudsman have not got back to you yet have they?

My relationship is under threat with these constant delays, my Bf doesn't believe all this is happening, he is in Brisbane and been there for a year to the day!

:arghh:

s4mmy ring the Ombudsman back and insist he does something.

what can they do really, I am just worried as it's at a crucial time. I could loose everything.

I have most of my things in Brisbane now and especially my fella, trouble is I am over 30 can't go on under 30 visa to be with him and do another job, else I would do the same as you

:swoon:

Guest Indented Head

He will ring them and you should get a reply from AHPRA , Not that I did. Just keep trying , are you going on a working visa ? what does your fella do for a living .......... can he pull any strings.

Guest kitty2011

I was hoping to hear about whether or not AHPRA have made up their minds about whether or NOT we have to sit IELTS.

I was told by a nursing agency that AHPRA was to make an announcement about this by the end of January.. (its February now, and I have been checking their website everyday!)

I have NOT sat my IELTS yet. I am still in Scotland and wont be going anywhere until I have my registration because of what everyone has endured!!:mad:

what do you guys think? to sit IELTS or not to sit IELTS? I have everything else almost ready to go;passport copies, Secondary education certificates, college certificate & transcript, Uni degree cert & transcript, disclosure, CV, NMC statement of entry (certificate of good standing to follow) everything certified by a registered Notary. and payment etc.

I just havent sat the IELTS, BUT Im studying for same?

Please help. Feel held back by the unclarified requirements.

BTW has anyone had a straightforward and successful story with AHPRA?

x:arghh:

He is a joiner unfortunately not.

He hasn't a clue really what i am going through with all this. Just can't understand why it's taken all this time and still nothing to show for it.

If you didn't more than likely wouldn't make any difference for me. Very hard to remain positive about this now.

457 visa

Guest Indented Head
I was hoping to hear about whether or not AHPRA have made up their minds about whether or NOT we have to sit IELTS.

I was told by a nursing agency that AHPRA was to make an announcement about this by the end of January.. (its February now, and I have been checking their website everyday!)

I have NOT sat my IELTS yet. I am still in Scotland and wont be going anywhere until I have my registration because of what everyone has endured!!:mad:

what do you guys think? to sit IELTS or not to sit IELTS? I have everything else almost ready to go;passport copies, Secondary education certificates, college certificate & transcript, Uni degree cert & transcript, disclosure, CV, NMC statement of entry (certificate of good standing to follow) everything certified by a registered Notary. and payment etc.

AHPRA will make you jump the hoops with or without IELTS , I would not do it. No one has had a straight forward story with them. Its all health care staff not just nurses. :arghh:

Guest lesleyawalsh

Hi There

I had fairly straightforward application process, I sent off my stuff to AHPRA around 20th August 2010, i had completed the IELTs as at that time it was still a requirement i had an overall score of 8.5 in each catagory, i recieved a Letter off AHPRA requesting some documents i had ommitted in Oct 2010 I then recieved my letter of eligibility on 21st Oct 2010, I contacted AHPRA a week before i was due to arrive in Melbourne and made an appointment for 27th Jan which was the day after i arrived in the country, i arrived at the AHPRA with my bill from the hotel i was staying as proof of address and my passport, then took photo copies of the docs and my name showed on the register on the 28th Jan 2011. hope this helps :wink:

Guest scottish shell

Hi there, my AHPRA process, not so straightforward either.. It has officially taken me 10 months in all to get my letter through(which I was notified last week is on route) . I did have to complete the IELTS as I had previously got a 6.5 in writing. My husband and I have been ready to go since August 2010. We had no jobs, no car,no house by this stage when AHPRA decided that I had to do the IELTS again, but I couldnt get above 6.5 in wrting!!! Did eventually though.

Guest scottish shell

Kitty11 , I would suggest you do the IELTS anyway, I know its alot of cash and stress, but the way AHPRA are repeatedly moving the goal posts and guidelines, I wouldnt take the chance. The guidelines changed during my application process and it just delayed things and made me more stressed. Also if you ever feel like moving around a bit more in the future, IELTS is a great thing to have. If you need any help with the exam or anything just ask, regarding IELTS im now a PRO ...sat it so many times..lol

Hi there, my AHPRA process, not so straightforward either.. It has officially taken me 10 months in all to get my letter through(which I was notified last week is on route) . I did have to complete the IELTS as I had previously got a 6.5 in writing. My husband and I have been ready to go since August 2010. We had no jobs, no car,no house by this stage when AHPRA decided that I had to do the IELTS again, but I couldnt get above 6.5 in wrting!!! Did eventually though.

Just a few questions.

Did you put your application in before July 2010?

Did you have to do the IELTS again because you originally applied for registration prior to the changed IELTS requirements draft document September 2010?

Did you provide proof of secondary education, and nurse training in English. If you provided this information. Did you still have to do the IELTS. Are you degree or diploma?

Guest kate dodds

hi everyone,

my name is kate i currently live in melbourne moved over dec2010, having an amazing time, hopefully starting my new job at the cardiothoracic centre at the alfred. my journey started in sept 2010 IELTS passed scored 8.5. everything sent in the post, got an email 3 weeks later saying they had received it all then nothing! went to main office in melbourne end of dec and i was still waiting to be preocessed.

mid jan i had a case worker and shes lovely been really great gets back to me with emails all the time, i now have two problems NMC stuff that they sent over in oct 2010 never arrived so i contacted them again and they have resent it 18th jan so hoping it gets to emily my case worker next week (post is so slow) plus my university transcript which stated when i completed course and all the modules is apparently not good enough so i had to get back in touch with university and pay to have a full transcript of hours worked in practice and in theory in the 3 years of study, a nightmare as i thought the transcript i sent was sufficent enough so im now waiting for that to come over sent 24th jan recorded delivery by my wonderful parents, then hopefully go in the office meet emily and im away and registered, thats the plan anyway. hoping to start job in two weeks emily has said there will be no further hold ups as everything will be in place so keeping everything crossed!!!

Guest Indented Head
hi everyone,

my name is kate i currently live in melbourne moved over dec2010, having an amazing time, hopefully starting my new job at the cardiothoracic centre at the alfred. my journey started in sept 2010 IELTS passed scored 8.5. everything sent in the post, got an email 3 weeks later saying they had received it all then nothing! went to main office in melbourne end of dec and i was still waiting to be preocessed.

mid jan i had a case worker and shes lovely been really great gets back to me with emails all the time, i now have two problems NMC stuff that they sent over in oct 2010 never arrived so i contacted them again and they have resent it 18th jan so hoping it gets to emily my case worker next week (post is so slow) plus my university transcript which stated when i completed course and all the modules is apparently not good enough so i had to get back in touch with university and pay to have a full transcript of hours worked in practice and in theory in the 3 years of study, a nightmare as i thought the transcript i sent was sufficent enough so im now waiting for that to come over sent 24th jan recorded delivery by my wonderful parents, then hopefully go in the office meet emily and im away and registered, thats the plan anyway. hoping to start job in two weeks emily has said there will be no further hold ups as everything will be in place so keeping everything crossed!!!

Good Luck , I am in Geelong and waiting to be registered ............ just a little remark on NMC good standing stuff ............... they all go missing not just yours. :arghh:

Guest thewhyman
hi everyone,

:notworthy:hi kate just wondering if u can help us.

my OH and myself are at the very beginings of trying to get to oz. she is a nurse in a medical assesment unit and qualified about 8 months ago. we will hopefully be coming to melbourne as she has family there who will sponsor us on a 176. the prosses seems a bit daunting but having read plenty of posts on PIO we beleive that she dosnt have to do IELTS if she applys for registration with anmc first. any ideas how long this takes or words of advice? with the points system changing in july we are trying to get application in before then and trying to find ouy what sort of timeline we are looking at. also what are the job oppertunities like in melbourne for her and salary levels if she works full time

lot of questions from a clueless bloke but any help would be appreciated:biggrin:

Guest scottish shell
Just a few questions.

Did you put your application in before July 2010?

Did you have to do the IELTS again because you originally applied for registration prior to the changed IELTS requirements draft document September 2010?

Did you provide proof of secondary education, and nurse training in English. If you provided this information. Did you still have to do the IELTS. Are you degree or diploma?

Hi Sammy,

I originally applied in March 2010, submitted a Failed Ielts (Well failed in AHPRA terms) with a 6.5 in writing. Still struggled another twice to get above 6.5 in writing,however I was notified that Ielts was scrapped in July and so I sent secondary eduction /nursing degree and stat dec .

I got an email stating my application was being processed In August, however in November I got a letter stating i had to resit the Ielts.

I spent most of my festive period sick with worry and stress..AHPRA have actually turned my life upside down.

As you can see I am a degree nurse and I also submitted all relevant paperwork, but they wouldnt budge, I went down the compaint channels ie, ombudsman, compaints commisoner. But it apers that AHPRA can decide throughout your application process if you need IELTS or not.. It does state on their guidelines that secondary eduction stat dec SHOULD cover English Requirments, however they can request IELTS at any time if they wish.

I called AHPRA every second night, emailed daily, it actually became a ritual.

I may just be the unlucky sod who they decided to make a point with!!! Who knows.

Anyway ,finally passed Ielts twice... I sat two exams one week after the other as this was my last shot at it and I passed them both..thank goodness, im now skint though.

:cute:

Everything has moved very fast in the last two weeks, looks like everything will be finalised and Ill be heading out 29th Feb... nearly one tear later xxx

:twitcy:

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for the 457 visa after everything has been submitted????, I was informed I had a case worker in immigration and that all they are now awaiting is my medicals which are next week .

Hi Sammy,

I originally applied in March 2010, submitted a Failed Ielts (Well failed in AHPRA terms) with a 6.5 in writing. Still struggled another twice to get above 6.5 in writing,however I was notified that Ielts was scrapped in July and so I sent secondary eduction /nursing degree and stat dec .

I got an email stating my application was being processed In August, however in November I got a letter stating i had to resit the Ielts.

I spent most of my festive period sick with worry and stress..AHPRA have actually turned my life upside down.

As you can see I am a degree nurse and I also submitted all relevant paperwork, but they wouldnt budge, I went down the compaint channels ie, ombudsman, compaints commisoner. But it apers that AHPRA can decide throughout your application process if you need IELTS or not.. It does state on their guidelines that secondary eduction stat dec SHOULD cover English Requirments, however they can request IELTS at any time if they wish.

I called AHPRA every second night, emailed daily, it actually became a ritual.

I may just be the unlucky sod who they decided to make a point with!!! Who knows.

Anyway ,finally passed Ielts twice... I sat two exams one week after the other as this was my last shot at it and I passed them both..thank goodness, im now skint though.

:cute:

Everything has moved very fast in the last two weeks, looks like everything will be finalised and Ill be heading out 29th Feb... nearly one tear later xxx

:twitcy:

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for the 457 visa after everything has been submitted????, I was informed I had a case worker in immigration and that all they are now awaiting is my medicals which are next week .

I am still waiting to hear unfortunately.

I know that AHPRA had said if you applied prior to July 2010 you would have to do the IELTS which is a little unfair.

I know what you are going through I did the IELTS 5 times and got 6.5 on the reading, it was a time factor for me. I agree AHPRA have turned my life upside down, everything is on hold and I was so skint after doing the IELTS had to go up and down the country to get it done with nothing to show for it.

I applied with AHPRA in October 2010 so the IELTS had been revoked at that time and then they brought out the draft version for english standard as you say, so on tender hooks right now. I am snappy all the time and so anxious all because of AHPRA. I am a diploma nurse so that is more worrying.

I should think it will all fall in to place after AHPRA, I have heard on here it takes two weeks for 457 visa to be approved which is great news, after all the delays you have had.

My application has gone to the board and they have said it is 'special circumstances'.

Due to not passing IELTS, but I have provided the secondary education and nurse training confirmation I completed in english.

I went out to Oz to see my BF at Christmas and received a letter in the UK form AHPRA, so spent most of the festive period worried and speaking to call centre and case officer.

Good Luck with your move

:jiggy:

I am going to get my documents signed by the justice of the peace on Tuesday. I already had some things certified back in August last year for my ANMC assessment. Can i send these old certified copies and the new extra certified docs or am i better getting them all done again with the same date? Hope that makes sense! Also, should i get everything certified including employer statement of service as it doesnt say on the checklist that this should be certified. Jesus this is stressful...will be glad when this is over!

Guest kate dodds

Thewhyman,

Hi, with regard to Anmc I didn't need to through them for assessment as we were going over on my husbands visa 457 temp for 4 years, he is A civil engineer so were on a skilled migrant visa.

Ielts - I had to do it as it was part of the process even though nurse course was in English university as was secondary education . U would. Have to email them personally as they seem to change there mind alot, my advice would be to buy the ielts booklet and really sit down and do the practice exams, I was speaking to one of the examiners and she said the amount of English nurses that fail it is really high, I was speaking to a Chinese nurse who wanted to come to australia and she did a night school preparation course it's crazy!

With regard to jobs well I did my hospital orientation today at the alfred hospital and there were 87 nurses on the induction so there seems to be loads of jobs, speaking to a post grad today she starts on $50,000 hope this helps

Guest deepend

Hi,

When did they take your payment?

Today, I found out that my payment has been taken from my account to register as a Nurse. Does that mean my application is successful and accepted?

Rgds

Archived