Priority Processing for GSM

ptlabs

I have said this before, and I will say it again: the Australian Government's first obligation is to the citizens of Australia. I am afraid that these days there is an enormous demand for skilled visas, and it is the right (some would say duty) of the Immigration Minister to ensure that those entering the country are going to bring skills that do not disadvantage other Australians by displacing their employment opportunities.

I am not saying that I agree with the Minister in all respects, but those who are frustrated and annoyed should recognise the context in which these decisions are made.

See also: Quality of life must take priority in immigration debate | The Australian and No 'top-gear' rush to population growth: Gillard

Indeed, I listened to the PM speaking yesterday. The phrase that struck a chord with me was when she said:

‘‘Friends, I will not allow Australia to ever become a country of which it is said: it’s a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.’’

The population and sustainability issue is a significant issue in this election, and there is barely a fag paper between the two main parties. Indeed there are some who would slash the skilled intake to less than a half of its present size.

Finding that original expectations are dashed is deeply upsetting to many. But I repeat, it is incumbent on the Immigration Minister to make the tough decisions for the benefit of Australia.

Best regards.

Agree with you Alan about the obligations to the citizens of Australia. The cost of living has gone up and there is tremendous pressure on all public services due to the high growth in population without a corresponding investment in infrastructure (utilities - water, hospitals, housing, schools etc etc). There are so many news reports on TV now highlighting how students are staying in cramped, inhuman conditions - last week there was a report about how 30 people were sharing a 2 bedroom house with one toilet, each paying $100 a week for bed space because housing has become so severely unaffordable.

But who is to be blamed for all this - the Government, surely? First they say they want a "Big Australia" and yes, Julia Guillard was vigorously nodding her head and agreeing with Rudd's idea! Now she's singing a different tune. So they double (triple?) the migrant intake over the years, and if that isn't enough, use the PR carrot for prospective students. They raise the hopes of thousands of prospective immigrants, collect fees upfront, change rules umpteen times and then dash their hopes.

The Immigration Minister would not have needed to make "tough" decisions if he/the Govt had made good decisions to begin with...

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nitsy

Hi,

This is what the FAQ states about the new SOL lists. It clearly states that the new list is not applicable for the old applicants. So why then are we being asked to refer to the new list? Shouldnt the old list apply for the old applicants?

"

Who would the new list apply to?

The new list will apply to all new GSM applications made from 1 July 2010.

Are there any transitional arrangements?

Yes. A number of transitional arrangements have been introduced to minimise the impact of this change on international students.

The new list of occupations will not apply to any valid GSM applications already lodged before 1 July 2010. It will also not apply to people who, on 8 February 2010:

1. held a subclass 485 (skilled graduate) visa or
  2. had a pending subclass 485 visa application

and who apply for a provisional or permanent onshore GSM visa on or before 31 December 2012.

Further, the new list of occupations will not apply to international students who, on 8 February 2010 held:

1. a subclass 572 (vocational education and training sector) visa;
  2. a subclass 573 (higher education sector) visa; or
  3. a subclass 574 (postgraduate research sector) visa.

when they apply for a subclass 485 (skilled graduate) visa on or before 31 December 2012.

This will enable these students to remain in Australia for 18 months on the temporary skilled graduate visa after the completion of their studies to gain valuable work experience and the opportunity to secure an employer or state/territory government to sponsor them.

See: www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm

I lodged an application for a GSM visa before 1 July 2010. Will I be affected by these proposed changes?

Any pending GSM visa applications lodged before the new list of occupations comes into effect on 1 July 2010 will not be affected by this change. "

One question that comes up is will preseptember 496 applicants not on new SOL come in category 3 or 4.

496 is a Provisional sponsored visa, I wonder if any of the occupations will be on the state's SMP. If they aren't on the State's SMP or new SOL, then they will unfortunately be Priority Processing 4.

496 is a Provisional sponsored visa, I wonder if any of the occupations will be on the state's SMP. If they aren't on the State's SMP or new SOL, then they will unfortunately be Priority Processing 4.

Well,

I am getting many answers. Here are the few lines which are bothering me....

Occupations on the SOL - Schedule 3 in effect at 1 July 2010 – priority group 3

All applicants with a nominated occupation on the SOL - Schedule 3 are included in priority group 3. This includes both independent applicants and applicants sponsored by an Australian family member or nominated by a state or territory government (but not on a state migration plan).

Priority group 3 includes all applicants with a nominated occupation of accountant, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2. [/Quote]

No need to mention a separate line while it has been already written "All applicants with a nominated occupation on the SOL - Schedule 3 are included in priority group 3." All applicants means all .....

Please clarify....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TILAK RAJ viewpost.gif

I am afraid answer is no, i wish Family Sponsors are Cat 3............

Well,

I am getting many answers. Here are the few lines which are bothering me....

Quote:

Occupations on the SOL - Schedule 3 in effect at 1 July 2010 – priority group 3

All applicants with a nominated occupation on the SOL - Schedule 3 are included in priority group 3. This includes both independent applicants and applicants sponsored by an Australian family member or nominated by a state or territory government (but not on a state migration plan).

Priority group 3 includes all applicants with a nominated occupation of accountant, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2.

No need to mention a separate line while it has been already written "All applicants with a nominated occupation on the SOL - Schedule 3 are included in priority group 3." All applicants means all .....

Please clarify....

Hi VB

First you have to see whether you occupation is on Schedule 3 - new SOL. If this is so, you can be in ANY category i.e. Independent, Family Sponsored, State Sponsored... You application will move to Priority Processing 3.

However, if you have applied for SS and your Occupation also happens to be on the SMP of the state, then your application moves up to Priority processing 2. Hope this is clear :biggrin:

Guest jains005
Looks like us cat 5's are soon gonna be Cat 2's depending on SMP's

will it create an effect of introducing a two-times larger CSL?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rahul

Where your occupation is not in the new Schedule 3 of the new SOL, your application will go into the new Processing Priority Cat 4, as Ozzieland has identified.

You are an Office Manager. VB is a Public Relations Officer. Neither of these occupations are in Schedule 3 of the new SOL.

As Alan Collett of Go Matilda told somebody yesterday, the Minister has now started a war of attrition. His staff already admit that there will be "a very long wait" before any of the Cat 4 applications are processed. If the Minister gets his new Cap & Kill Bill into law then many of the Cat 4 applications will never be processed. If Parliament rejects his Cap & Kill Bill, the Minister still wins because he can simply leave the applicants in Cat 4 to fester indefinitely, with no realistic prospect of their visas ever being granted, no closure and no refunds either.

The bloke is a thug. His modus operandi is exactly what I would expect from somebody with a background as a Trades Unions hack. However, Gillard is much brighter and more polished than he is. She is an Industrial Relations lawyer with a background in private practice. She was a partner in Slater & Gordon, and their website does not suggest to me that they have a strong background in acting for Trades Unions. Their website gives me the impression that they are more likely to act on behalf of major employers, often against the Trades Unions.

I can't see Gillard and Evans sleeping easily in the same bed in the circs. I suspect that she will get rid of him and put somebody better into the Immigration portfolio - at least, that is what I would definitely do if I were La Gillard. Gillard understands the word "compromise." My impression is that Evans does not understand the meaning of that word.

Cheers

Gill

Guest JK2510

Hi all,

Just had a thought. DIAC may already have the finalised SMPs but are not yet releasing them. Like i say just a thought but possibly if they know the skills on each state list do you think they may cherry pick those skills?? So all those in cat 3 possibly cat 4 will be given COs. A little cheeky and sneaky but anything seems to go at the moment!!

Hi Rahul

Where your occupation is not in the new Schedule 3 of the new SOL, your application will go into the new Processing Priority Cat 4, as Ozzieland has identified.

You are an Office Manager. VB is a Public Relations Officer. Neither of these occupations are in Schedule 3 of the new SOL.

As Alan Collett of Go Matilda told somebody yesterday, the Minister has now started a war of attrition. His staff already admit that there will be "a very long wait" before any of the Cat 4 applications are processed. If the Minister gets his new Cap & Kill Bill into law then many of the Cat 4 applications will never be processed. If Parliament rejects his Cap & Kill Bill, the Minister still wins because he can simply leave the applicants in Cat 4 to fester indefinitely, with no realistic prospect of their visas ever being granted, no closure and no refunds either.

The bloke is a thug. His modus operandi is exactly what I would expect from somebody with a background as a Trades Unions hack. However, Gillard is much brighter and more polished than he is. She is an Industrial Relations lawyer with a background in private practice. She was a partner in Slater & Gordon, and their website does not suggest to me that they have a strong background in acting for Trades Unions. Their website gives me the impression that they are more likely to act on behalf of major employers, often against the Trades Unions.

I can't see Gillard and Evans sleeping easily in the same bed in the circs. I suspect that she will get rid of him and put somebody better into the Immigration portfolio - at least, that is what I would definitely do if I were La Gillard. Gillard understands the word "compromise." My impression is that Evans does not understand the meaning of that word.

Cheers

Gill

Gill

I definately was expecting that we would be in cat 4, and i dont expect Gillard to do anything to Evans. Dont forget she was no 2 in the last govt. All that Evans does is in concurrence with her. I had long suspected that not getting capped and ceased was a curse and not a blessing in disguise.

Rahul

Hi Rahul

Cheers

Gill

But Gilly how long more a person could wait even if he/she is waiting since last 3 years. In the client service charter table it has been clearly mentioned that for 496 it will take more than 3 years.

Here is the client service charter..

Client Service Charter

Guest JK2510
But Gilly how long more a person could wait even if he/she is waiting since last 3 years. In the client service charter table it has been clearly mentioned that for 496 it will take more than 3 years.

Here is the client service charter..

Client Service Charter

Hi,

That Client service charter is old and is going to be updated to meet the new processing arrangements.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

This may answer some of the questions on this thread.

In the context of this extract from the DIAC factsheet that was referred to above:

Options available to applicants in priority group 4

* consider eligibility for nomination by a state or territory government under a state migration plan, which would require a new visa application

I believe this comment only pertains to new (post 01/07/2010) s/c 176 visa applicants, where the sponsorship that formed the basis of the original visa application must also exist at the time of visa decision.

For the technically minded 176.222 of Schedule 2 (newly introduced on 01/07/2010) refers:

(1) Either:

(a) if the applicant was nominated by a State or Territory government agency in accordance with subitem 1135(3A) of Schedule 1 at the time of making the application — the requirements of subclause (2) are met; or

(b) if the applicant was sponsored in accordance with subitem 1135(3B) at the time of making the application — the requirements of subclause (3) are met.

For those who are still confused - and I acknowledge this is now a very technical area of the law - I recommend that you actively consider engaging a migration agent.

Best regards.

Guest pippa1

I am so over this now:-)

Hire an agent , I need a miracle worker!

New service charter thats a joke, they should just delete all category 4's as that is what will happen to us via cap and cease, onshore or not. Feeling helpless, fed up and can't even make the decision to get on with life as I'm here in limbo.....:no:

Hi Alan

If you belive the qote refers to post 1-7-10 what do you think the position is with pre 1-7-10.

After all the announcement 8-2-10 clearly states those lodgedprior to that date would not be affected by the new sol list and the revoking of the modl ?

Shane

I am so over this now:-)

Hire an agent , I need a miracle worker!

New service charter thats a joke, they should just delete all category 4's as that is what will happen to us via cap and cease, onshore or not. Feeling helpless, fed up and can't even make the decision to get on with life as I'm here in limbo.....:no:

There is only one way out left now. Get coalition into power . Throw this Govt. out of the power. As my brother and thousand other who are like my brother are saying, we will throw labor out of power. Let us see something will change...

Hi Alan

If you belive the qote refers to post 1-7-10 what do you think the position is with pre 1-7-10.

After all the announcement 8-2-10 clearly states those lodgedprior to that date would not be affected by the new sol list and the revoking of the modl ?

Shane

Hi Shane.

In my view the announcement of 08/02/2010 does not have the required authority - in other words I don't think that arguing the point will take you anywhere - so I would not be relying on it as a means of achieving what you want.

Maybe run it past George Lombard, to get a lawyer's perspective?

Best regards.

Guest proud2beaussie
There is only one way out left now. Get coalition into power
Hi VB,

There is NO guarantee that the coalition would do anything different ,,their immigration policy is to

reduce migration and to reintroduce the CSL,that may possibly mean even more changes to processing priorities.

Do you really want that?.

When it comes to politics sometimes I think of the saying "Better the devil you know".

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Rahul

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill...

I so agree with you that Chris Evans is a thug. Why make people apply right up to 7th May when you know what you had in mind right from the start. It is so unfair that so many have applied investing so much money and now they tell them that you will have to wait forever. This is really not good.

Conclusion: If any applicants (fall in 4th catagory) are not satiesfied and want to be in SMP, ENS, RSMS or SOL-3 cat, then need to reapply with new application including govt. fees.

So its your choise if you like to wait or reapply.....

Aivaan

Cat 475

Waiting for SA SMP

Well, seems like money is too easy for Chris Evans, why not convert the existing application to the new application to get a higher priority without paying new visa fee? IT WASN'T OUR FAULT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Those(Cat 4s) that won't be included in the SMP, can wait or withdraw application, it's like we're donating huge of money to DIAC for nothing.

Guest Gollywobbler
Well, seems like money is too easy for Chris Evans, why not convert the existing application to the new application to get a higher priority without paying new visa fee? IT WASN'T OUR FAULT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Those(Cat 4s) that won't be included in the SMP, can wait or withdraw application, it's like we're donating huge of money to DIAC for nothing.

Hi mlsdq

The bar steward has to find the money from somewhere to pay for his refunds. DIAC's policy is to spend the whole of the visa application fee as soon as they receive it. They don't hold the money in any sort of interest-bearing account for the benefit of the visa applicants who paid it to them in the first place.

Also, since Evans has single handedly killed the International Education sector, the money to prop up the universities and colleges in Oz will have to come from somewhere. People will learn that the Aussie Government has become so hopelessly unreliable - plus the AUD is too high and the cost of living in the place is soaring - that Australia is no longer a good bet for International Education. I think that prospective Students will look at Canada, the UK and the USA, probably in that order, from now on.

Cheers

Gill

Somebody's loss is someone elses gain. !!

All those people getting excited about being cat2/3 ( Unfortunately my OH is not ) please dont get carried away just yet. I'm sure you will be ok if you are on the SOL but stranger things have happened and just as quick as a flash you might find yourselves surplus or delayed for what ever reason the minister wants to make up.

I think it is a total disgrace to not prioritise those with SS already irrespective of being on SOL or SMP or whatever. The States sponsored after we had all our crtiteria checked by that state and to disregard now is just wrong.

what I cant get my head around is why have schedule 1 issued for those occupations prior to July 01.2010. What is its significance ? If it has no place in futur processing i.e those applicants already lodged then why issue it in the first place.

Everybody has their opinion but mostly we are trying to second guess what is coming next.

I dont buy into this " Well sod Oz and lets look at Canada instead" My family made the decision to live in Australia and if we dont get in we will be upset but will stay in the UK. If you wantde to live in canada or new zealand why not try there in the first place ? We have no second choice and that was OUR choice. It just makes me feel that those people that say lets go somewhere else instaed maybe are not that bothered about living in OZ afterall.

Good luck to all potential Cat 4's

Shane

Guest jimmyay
YES:jiggy:

FAQ 19 July 2010:

Q13 My nominated occupation is Accountant but I was not eligible for the CSL. What level of

priority processing will I receive?

The occupation of Accountant is included on Schedule 3 of the current Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and

therefore your application will be in priority group 3, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2.

Best regards

Do remember all assesment by CPA required IELTS-7 from 1st July 2010 onwards.

Archived