Priority Processing for GSM

ptlabs

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q17 I applied for GSM. If my nominated occupation is not in Schedule 3 of the SOL in effect at 1 July 2010 can my application receive higher priority processing?

Yes if you are nominated by a state or territory government under a state migration plan.

Applicants who lodged before 1 July 2010 that have been nominated by a state or territory government agency

in an occupation that is subsequently specified in their nominating state or territory’s state migration plan will

receive processing under priority group 2.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/gsm-priority-processing-faqs.pdf

This sounds more like it. The words 'not in Schedule 3 of the SOL in effect at 1st July, 2010'

Thanks for posting this.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi all,

This is fresh off the press (19 July 2010 6PM AEST):

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has set new priority processing arrangements for certain skilled migration visas. These arrangements take account of the changes to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) that came into effect on 1 July 2010, as well as the revocation of the Migration Occupation in Demand List (MODL) and the Critical Skills List (CSL).

Priority Processing Arrangements for General Skilled Migration Visas – 19 July 2010

Regards

Peter

P.S. Gill I also copied this in the Migration Agents sub-forum, since I don't know what the new protocols are...

Hi Peter

First of all, thank you very much for posting about this very important new development

as quickly as you did.

With regard to the Agents Information sub-forum, you did exactly the right thing by making a new thread in there and another one in here. You have helped to make the whole thing work exactly as I hoped it would work.

Very many thanks, once again.

Cheers

Gill

Hi all,

Can anyone say if we are Priority 3 or not? Because even though OH occupation is listed on SOL - schedule 3, i thought Schedule 3 was for those who applied after 1 July? We are technically SOL - Schedule 1 (ASCO code before 1 July).

Or are they just using SOL - Schedule 3 as the list of occupations no matter when you lodged??

We applied before 1 July.

We have been sponsored by a state so I do hope that we are on the SMP and go to Cat 2 but if not I would rather us be Cat 3 than Cat 4.

Ahh confused.

Ta

claire

Hi all,

Can anyone say if we are Priority 3 or not? Because even though OH occupation is listed on SOL - schedule 3, i thought Schedule 3 was for those who applied after 1 July? We are technically SOL - Schedule 1 (ASCO code before 1 July).

Or are they just using SOL - Schedule 3 as the list of occupations that are priority no matter when you lodged??

We applied before 1 July.

We have been sponsored by a state so I do hope that we are on the SMP and go to Cat 2 but if not I would rather us be Cat 3 than Cat 4.

Ahh confused.

Ta

claire

You are currently Priority 3.

Guest guest41018

That's great news for many, but what happens to those who are not on the new SOL whose occupations appear on an SMP, but didn't think to go for state sponsorship at the time of application ? Presumably they have to reapply from scratch having already (probably) been shafted by previous processing arrangments and the costs already incurred ? Would it really hurt to allow those who have been seriously disadvantaged by events over the last few years to apply for state sponsorship under an SMP without having to pay the new fee and go through the process all over again ? What's so difficult about it ?

You are currently Priority 3.

I really do hope so. Why do DIAC not just list the occupations rather than referring to a Schedule which they stated previously if after 1 July. Just causes so much confusion or I am just being thick.

It's been a long day at work.

Claire

Guest Gollywobbler
So to be on the schedule 3 of the SOL, I'll have to redo skills assessment, medicals, ielts and lodge a new visa application? Fork another $5000? Evans must really think that money grows on trees. Plus there's no guarantee that he won't change the rules yet again!

The only new visa application I see myself lodging is Canada's...

Hi Seb

I couldn't agree with you more. If I were caught up in this Evans' clown's latest shenanigans, the only new visa application that I would be lodging is an application for Canada. I would give Australia the cold shoulder for the rest of my life, frankly.

I suspect that this "simplification" is actually an exercise in clearing the decks for a major cull of GSM visa applicants if the Cap & Kill Bill ever makes it onto the statute book. If the Bill is killed off instead, no worries - all the applicants in the new Priority 4 can be left to rot in hell with no refunds and no prospects of ever getting a visa for Oz either, I strongly suspect.

The sheer cheek of demanding that people shell out even more money than they have already paid solely so that they can improve the odds against them (temporarily anyhow but not necessarily permanently) in a bizarre game of chance beggars belief imho.

The Canadian Government gives every impression of understanding what it is doing, and it treats visa applicants with the same respect that it would like to be treated itself.

The Australian Government gives every impression of not having a clue what to do about immigration and that it is simply vaguely experimenting with one daft idea after another in the vague hope that something, one day, might actually work. It has also demonstrated that the current Australian Government views prospective migrants to Australia with the utmost contempt.

If it were me, I would simply walk away from such a bunch of crass amateurs and I'd go and talk with the properly professional Canadians instead.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Wannabeoz
Hi Seb

I couldn't agree with you more. If I were caught up in this Evans' clown's latest shenanigans, the only new visa application that I would be lodging is an application for Canada. I would give Australia the cold shoulder for the rest of my life, frankly.

I suspect that this "simplification" is actually an exercise in clearing the decks for a major cull of GSM visa applicants if the Cap & Kill Bill ever makes it onto the statute book. If the Bill is killed off instead, no worries - all the applicants in the new Priority 4 can be left to rot in hell with no refunds and no prospects of ever getting a visa for Oz either, I strongly suspect.

The sheer cheek of demanding that people shell out even more money than they have already paid solely so that they can improve the odds against them (temporarily anyhow but not necessarily permanently) in a bizarre game of chance beggars belief imho.

The Canadian Government gives every impression of understanding what it is doing, and it treats visa applicants with the same respect that it would like to be treated itself.

The Australian Government gives every impression of not having a clue what to do about immigration and that it is simply vaguely experimenting with one daft idea after another in the vague hope that something, one day, might actually work. It has also demonstrated that the current Australian Government views prospective migrants to Australia with the utmost contempt.

If it were me, I would simply walk away from such a bunch of crass amateurs and I'd go and talk with the properly professional Canadians instead.

Cheers

Gill

I can't help but agree with you! I'm not sure I can handle any more visa appllications to anywhere right now, but I've certainly been reconsidering whether I want to move to Oz after I have been treated how I have (like many others).

It's a shame - I spent a year living there on a WHV and loved it, and had work in two weeks and worked the whole time (in my field). I met all the criteria for a visa, got sponsored by a state, did everything required of me, yet now I am being treated like something on the bottom of someone's shoe. And I've paid handsomely for it.

I'm pleased for everyone who's got good news today, but I can't help thinking it shouldn't be so hard. Why even let us apply in the first place? I wish I hadn't.

The way we have all been treated is cruel.

I want my application money back, and I want to treat myself to a holiday - to anywhere but Australia!

Guest orynoco

Hi Alan

Going through GoMatilda with this whole process, and just wondering how this all affects me now, state sponsored with WA 11-09, AQFIII solid Plasterer, visa applied 11-09, on SOL and waiting on the SMP, if on the new plan does this mean i go into CAT 2 or is this all just wishful thinking.

Many Thanx George

this is on the FAQs released today:-

Q19 What are my options if my application is in priority group 4 and I applied for an offshore GSM

visa?

The options available are:

19/07/2010 6

• continue to await a decision on your visa application

• assess your eligibility for an employer sponsored visa, or nomination by a state or territory

government under a state migration plan agreed to by the minister

• withdraw your application.

Please note:

Some of these options would require the lodgement of a new application and the payment of a

new VAC. If you choose to withdraw your application you will not be entitled to a refund of your VAC.

For applications lodged after 1 July 2010, a new application may be required if you have obtained a state or

territory nomination after lodgement. Please contact the skilled processing centre.

See

:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/australia/processing-centres/adelaide-skilled.htm

More information about estimated processing times is available from the departmental website.

See: Client Service Charter

the info in bold italics suggests to me that maybe us pre 1 july applicants will not have to lodge a new application and pay full fee if we obtain sponsorship under a SMP. I'm sure all these details will come out soon but lets hope we don't have to pay even more simply to swap if our skills are in demand!!

sorry to hear some of you have had wasted efforts obtaining SS only to remain in cat 4, fingers crossed you'll be on their SMP i'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed mine will. Good luck to everyone, especially my fellow cat 4s

Jo

this is on the FAQs released today:-

Q19 What are my options if my application is in priority group 4 and I applied for an offshore GSM

visa?

The options available are:

19/07/2010 6

• continue to await a decision on your visa application

• assess your eligibility for an employer sponsored visa, or nomination by a state or territory

government under a state migration plan agreed to by the minister

• withdraw your application.

Please note:

Some of these options would require the lodgement of a new application and the payment of a

new VAC. If you choose to withdraw your application you will not be entitled to a refund of your VAC.

For applications lodged after 1 July 2010, a new application may be required if you have obtained a state or

territory nomination after lodgement. Please contact the skilled processing centre.

See

:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/australia/processing-centres/adelaide-skilled.htm

More information about estimated processing times is available from the departmental website.

See: Client Service Charter

the info in bold italics suggests to me that maybe us pre 1 july applicants will not have to lodge a new application and pay full fee if we obtain sponsorship under a SMP. I'm sure all these details will come out soon but lets hope we don't have to pay even more simply to swap if our skills are in demand!!

sorry to hear some of you have had wasted efforts obtaining SS only to remain in cat 4, fingers crossed you'll be on their SMP i'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed mine will. Good luck to everyone, especially my fellow cat 4s

Jo

Q/A 17 is clearer for those who have applied pre July 2010 and have SS

Guest gerryp
Hi Seb

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill...I couldnt agree more. Only 4 weeks ago we were assigned a Case Officer and asked to go for medicals and get our Police Checks done. We did these immediately at a cost of £1000 for myself, my wife and two kids. Here we are a couple of weeks later and it looks like we will be put on to Priority 4 with a halt to our processing! Im furious that my pocket has been dipped again in this process and apparently to no purpose. The only light I can see in our case is that the PDF issued today says that we will be contacted directly by our Case Officer to advise us of processing arrangements. We have already decided that should we definitely be told we are being placed on Priority 4 we will be turning our backs on Oz and getting on with life for the sake of our kids and ourselves. Australia will lose my 20years of IT experience and my wife's 20 years of experience as a State Registered Dietitian. Plus it will lose the capital we have in our bank ready to come to Oz and buy a house there.

Hi Gerryp, i completely understand your frustrations - it makes me wonder if they goal posts will ever stop moving.

One theory i have (based on nothing but my own assumptions) is that perhaps the CSL applicants who are not on the new SOL (like computing profs nec) will remain a high priority if they have SS but move to cat 4 if they aren't. it would seem such a waste for the state to have placed your occupation on the CSL and then stick you in cat4.

good luck to you and your family

Jo

Guest gerryp
Hi Gerryp, i completely understand your frustrations - it makes me wonder if they goal posts will ever stop moving.

One theory i have (based on nothing but my own assumptions) is that perhaps the CSL applicants who are not on the new SOL (like computing profs nec) will remain a high priority if they have SS but move to cat 4 if they aren't. it would seem such a waste for the state to have placed your occupation on the CSL and then stick you in cat4.

good luck to you and your family

Jo

Hey Jo..many thanks for your kind words...I hope your theory bears out as it would make my two teenagers and my lovely wife smile broadly (which in turn would make a large smile break out on my face) ... thanks, Gerry:hug:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill...I couldnt agree more. Only 4 weeks ago we were assigned a Case Officer and asked to go for medicals and get our Police Checks done. We did these immediately at a cost of £1000 for myself, my wife and two kids. Here we are a couple of weeks later and it looks like we will be put on to Priority 4 with a halt to our processing! Im furious that my pocket has been dipped again in this process and apparently to no purpose. The only light I can see in our case is that the PDF issued today says that we will be contacted directly by our Case Officer to advise us of processing arrangements. We have already decided that should we definitely be told we are being placed on Priority 4 we will be turning our backs on Oz and getting on with life for the sake of our kids and ourselves. Australia will lose my 20years of IT experience and my wife's 20 years of experience as a State Registered Dietitian. Plus it will lose the capital we have in our bank ready to come to Oz and buy a house there.

Hi gerryp

Something nefarious is going on that DIAC have not gotten around to admitting.

Their FAQ screams that the COs must - not might, but must - obey the Minister's latest (and umpteenth) attempt to produce a pecking order for GSM processing.

In the next breath, we learn that well, um, yeah.... the above might not actually be so for certain Computing Professionals and Hospital Pharmacists. What have the COs been asked to say to the applicants that DIAC have not quite admitted to in their FAQ?

I suspect that the COs have been given a set of instructions "off stage," as it were. I suspect that the COs have been told to do a bit of weeding in the metaphorical garden. I suspect that the ones with loads of experience and fluent English will be told by the COs that their applications have been spared, whilst other applicants - who look similar to you on paper but are not quite as desirable in the Minister's eyes - will be told to head for the back of the queue.

Please let me know what your CO says.

Cheers

Gill

Guest gerryp

Hey Gill,

yes, I will absolutely let you know what our CO says (I would like to think they'll be in touch soon, but Im wily enough to not get my hopes up).

The same thoughts crossed my mind earlier - if the CO is contacting people directly it means he/she can approach each of these applicants (Comp Prof NEC and Pharmacists) on a case-by-case basis. The logic to be applied by the CO will only have come from above Im sure - but it's obviously logic DIAC didnt want to put into print on today's relief.

God, don't you just love transparent processes? If the GSM Visa application process EVER becomes transparent I'll wear a pink polka dot dress down Inverness High Street on a Friday night!

I can't help but agree with you! I'm not sure I can handle any more visa appllications to anywhere right now, but I've certainly been reconsidering whether I want to move to Oz after I have been treated how I have (like many others).

It's a shame - I spent a year living there on a WHV and loved it, and had work in two weeks and worked the whole time (in my field). I met all the criteria for a visa, got sponsored by a state, did everything required of me, yet now I am being treated like something on the bottom of someone's shoe. And I've paid handsomely for it.

I'm pleased for everyone who's got good news today, but I can't help thinking it shouldn't be so hard. Why even let us apply in the first place? I wish I hadn't.

The way we have all been treated is cruel.

I want my application money back, and I want to treat myself to a holiday - to anywhere but Australia!

Feel exactly the same, in fact we decided recently that we've had enough of being messed around and are now buying a house in the UK.

OH's Mum has lived in Qld since 1993, yet we cannot join her out there despite having Qld SS granted last year.

It looks like OH's occupation is not on the new SOL now, so I don't expect it to be on the Qld SMP. Qld wanted us last year and we applied under those rules. I am really angry that we have put our lives on hold, promised our kids so many good things about our move to be near Grandma and now we do not even have the option of a refund at present if we are no longer eligible.

Mandy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gerry

God, don't you just love transparent processes? If the GSM Visa application process EVER becomes transparent I'll wear a pink polka dot dress down Inverness High Street on a Friday night!

Har! Inverness can consider itself saved from something which might have given Inverness a nasty fright, methinks. It'd probably have had the Loch Ness Monster running for cover as well, so DIAC's penchant for opacity has done Nessie a favour, I suspect.....

Cheers

Gill

Guest guest41018
Hey Gill,

yes, I will absolutely let you know what our CO says (I would like to think they'll be in touch soon, but Im wily enough to not get my hopes up).

The same thoughts crossed my mind earlier - if the CO is contacting people directly it means he/she can approach each of these applicants (Comp Prof NEC and Pharmacists) on a case-by-case basis. The logic to be applied by the CO will only have come from above Im sure - but it's obviously logic DIAC didnt want to put into print on today's relief.

It's not too surprising that reference is made in the directive guidance to those who were on the CSL but not on the new SOL, those being led to expect early resolution and who may well have been a large part of the way through the process already, but surprisingly left out of the new SOL - I daresay a number of SMPs will have those two occupations on them and I'd like to think that this might be DIAC's attempt at being nice to those caught between two stools. I'd guess that English Language skills and occupational experience might play some sort of role in the weeding process, if indeed that's what it is. I understand that the Comp Prof (NEC) category is quite a broad one, including those who may have applied before the introduction of the CSL or even before September 2007 or those who come under the code 2231-79, but with no specialisation as the following link suggests:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

As it affects us, I will keep our fingers crossed.

Hi Alan

Going through GoMatilda with this whole process, and just wondering how this all affects me now, state sponsored with WA 11-09, AQFIII solid Plasterer, visa applied 11-09, on SOL and waiting on the SMP, if on the new plan does this mean i go into CAT 2 or is this all just wishful thinking.

Many Thanx George

Hello George.

Please send me a PM or email (click on my name to the left of this post) with your surname. I will then arrange for your Go Matilda consultant to have a chat with you about your situation and strategy.

Best regards.

Guest DonHuynh

hi, i dont no which cat am i on

i applied for 886 November last year, nominated occupation is 2231-79 recent grad,

can any one tell me please.

Archived