The decision has been made.

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

We have made the decision to return to the UK probably early next year. There are many reasons, everything from more opportunities for the business I want to start up to us having all our best long term friends over there. We have never been taken in by the 'better life' over here, it is definitely a different lifestyle but not better, at least for us. We spoke to our kids about it last week to see what they thought of the idea and their reply was a resounding WOOHOO so I'm assuming that's a yes :biggrin: They aren't sporty outdoors types and are obsessed with the sciences so we feel as though there are more opportunities for them in the UK.

When in the UK we lived in a very nice area so we were never confronted by the worries that some complain about in less desirable areas, I am sure for those from depressed areas coming to this country must be like a dream and I can understand that but as I say we are more used to the picture postcard type locations than the endless terraced houses and long unemployment lines.

Cost wise it's swing and roundabouts of course, some things cost more and some less. Running a car is going to be cheaper for us ironically even with the expensive petrol as we can afford a very economical car and not have to pay many 100's in registration. Insurance for the cars we are looking at is also cheaper or on a par.

Food prices seem to be lower in the UK. Electricity appears to cost about the same and rates should also be roughly the same. We also wont have a mortgage if it all works out as planned.

At the end of the day though it isn't a financial based decision, you have to live where your heart is and ours just aren't here.

I don't support Australia in sport, I don't fly an Aussie flag from my car and can't understand all the fuss on Australia Day. These things have made me realise that I am not an Australian and really at my age I'm not going to be.

I want to live in the country in an old house with 2 foot thick walls and not have to worry about where the next lot of termites and going to start destroying it.

We know it will be tough for awhile but life isn't meant to be easy and you aren't meant to live your life somewhere you aren't 100% happy. The weather and beaches don't rule my life and neither do daily BBQ's, there are plenty of people who want all that and good luck to them. :wink:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest famousfive

I wish you all the best with the next chapter of your lives.It sounds as if you have made the right decision for you and your family.

We are also returning home next year and I understand where you are coming from in your reasons for returning.We also left a lovely area,good life etc..when we came to Oz and to be honest we would never have considered the move had my OH not been an Aussie.

We were not rich or live an idylic life but we were content,had good family support and great friends all of which we will return to.

Like yourselves our family don't really fit into the way of life here,the best lifestyle differences here are just not our thing,they are obviously great for many people but not for us.

If it is what you all want then it will turn out well.As for the financial sacrifice,like my Granny used to say..."just because we were poor doesn't mean we weren't happy".

Race you there.

It sounds like the right decision for you, and your post is very balanced.

PLEASE don't become one of the Aussie haters just because it wasn't for you.

We love it here and have fitted right in, better then we did in the UK strangely enough, but we are all different. Nowhere is right or wrong per se, just right for us or wrong for us if you see what I mean.

I hope the planning and pack up go well and that you find a lvoely new home in UK and settle back in really well. Do keep in touch.

Guest chloew

Good for you!

I think we reached a turning point when a friend introduced us to someone else as new Australians. I felt horrified as I realised then that I am English and always will be. I asked my husband if he would ever do the citizenship ceremony and he said No way!

So, after a great adventure we're heading back later on this year.

Guest guest36187

I hope that everything works out for you and your family Chris and that you get all you wish for.

Its a brave thing to emigrate but a braver thing to admit it wasnt your cup of tea!

Good Luck

Guest Guest37175

Many congratulations Chris. I'm sure that this will be the best move for you and your family. Having a sense of belonging in life is so critical and I'm sure you'll find that back home.

Very best of luck.

Guest guest36762

Well done Chris, sounds like you'll be happy back in blighty.

When you get there, can you send us some decaf teabags? and some smoked mackerell? and a case of Vin de pays D'oc Chardonnay for not much? and some French goat's cheese? and French brie? and French camembert? and some of those M+S gastropub meals? and Chinese/Indian takeaway meals from Sainsbury's? and some Ginsters pies that you can eat from cold without getting food poisoning? And some Waitrose puddings? and..................?

I'm really pleased for you Chris, you must feel like a big weight has been lifted from your shoulders now you've taken the first definite step towards returning to the UK.

I completely agree with you that the Aussie life is just different (not necessarily better for everyone) than the UK - some things are better for us and others are not which kind of equals things out.

I wish you every success with your move. I've noticed how fondly you talk of your old friends on here and it must be a lovely feeling for the family to be going back to that.

Sue x

Guest Ista

Congratulations Chris, I have got the impression from some of your posts that you would prefer to be back in the UK so I'm really happy you guys are actually able to do it and return! Some close family friends of my parents were both ten-pound poms who emigrated to Oz when they were quite young (16 and 21) - they are now in their 50s but were so determined to try life out again in the UK that they left very good jobs (he was a high-ranking Aussie diplomat!) to go into the unknown - however it's worked out really well for them and they are loving being back in the UK. :)

I think everyone should follow their dream wherever that dream will be - hope that your dream to return gets fulfilled soon! Good luck with all the organising. ;-)

Well done on making the decision, Chris.

How brilliant to be mortgage free! That should lighten the stress no end!

Good luck with the planning and choosing the area you want to be in. I'm glad the whole family are in agreement too.

I hope you enjoy your remaining time in Oz.

Sue

Guest chris955

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, in the end the decision was surprisingly easy especially as our kids seem so keen on the idea. Because of the many years I have been here there are loads of things I love and many things I will miss including family but as has been said before this isn't a rehearsal so we aren't prepared to 'waste' our lives where we aren't completely happy.

When you speak to optimistic (realistic) people in the UK it is clear that although belts have been tightened it is for the longterm good and although it will take time to undo the damage done by Labour better times are ahead and England will always be England. It is all too easy to get caught up in the doom and gloom in some parts of the media and indeed some on here but the reality is far brighter I am pleased to say.

I have to utmost respect for people wanting to come here for a new life, I'm not sure I fully understand it in all cases especially when some seem to be doing it for the weather or to escape crime BUT we are all different.

Anyway thanks again and good luck to those doing the same thing, go back with both eyes open and don't expect it to be anything like here and most importantly remember why you returned if you start having doubts.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well chris

i thought you were actually here already with your comments about the uk. I am not gonna say anything negative to you the uk has alot to offer and if the outdoor lifestyle isn't for you and your family then i can understand you not taking to Australia.

Best of luck where ever you end up.

jim

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, in the end the decision was surprisingly easy especially as our kids seem so keen on the idea. Because of the many years I have been here there are loads of things I love and many things I will miss including family but as has been said before this isn't a rehearsal so we aren't prepared to 'waste' our lives where we aren't completely happy.

When you speak to optimistic (realistic) people in the UK it is clear that although belts have been tightened it is for the longterm good and although it will take time to undo the damage done by Labour better times are ahead and England will always be England. It is all too easy to get caught up in the doom and gloom in some parts of the media and indeed some on here but the reality is far brighter I am pleased to say.

I have to utmost respect for people wanting to come here for a new life, I'm not sure I fully understand it in all cases especially when some seem to be doing it for the weather or to escape crime BUT we are all different.

Anyway thanks again and good luck to those doing the same thing, go back with both eyes open and don't expect it to be anything like here and most importantly remember why you returned if you start having doubts.

Easy Bob!!

I know you're feeling positive - but do you know something we don't?? LOL:wideeyed:

good luck Chris hope everything goes well and its great all the family is in agreement as that can always be a sticking point if a few members are not for te move (applies both ways obvioulsy).

How old are you children?

Chris

I hope you have made the right descion. Hope you have your head screwed on. It will not be a bed of roses, the Party won't last long. And life is still life.

The people I feel mostly sorry for are the ones that hate the UK, get to Aus and hate Aus, then come home and realise why they left and go back to Aus hating the UK and living a misserble life in Aus.

I love life in this country, my only regret is going to Aus in the first place.

I knew I had to get back to England within a year, this gave me the opotunity to pick up were I left (Work mainly) and pick up the peices.

My fear for you is and I think I said this to 20yearpommie was the big house the weather maybe a swimming pool. There will be lots to miss about Aussie.

But I think the main thing will be work, if you build a succesful business then you will hopfully have cracked it.

Don't listen to all the Doom and Gloomers who have obviously waisted there lifes away being depresed and bored in Gloomy Britain, its like you say life is not a rehersal.

What part are you returning to?

I hope it works mate, it works for me. This country is still vibrant and a great place to be.

Good Luck John

Guest chris955

We remember only too well, we couldn't afford the type of house we wanted, now we can...woohoo.

also remember why you left the uk as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Guest chris955

Yes my wife absolutely loves Singapore but housing is even more expensive than here. :biggrin:

Good luck going back to the second best country in the world!

Guest chris955

Thank you Geoff and the same to you.

Good luck with your move back, I hope everything works out for you and your family :wubclub:

Guest chris955

Thank you Salma, they are 9 next week.

good luck Chris hope everything goes well and its great all the family is in agreement as that can always be a sticking point if a few members are not for te move (applies both ways obvioulsy).

How old are you children?

Guest chris955

Don't worry, I realise it wont be all easy but we are positive and know what we want. We came here because we weren't able to buy a house that we really wanted, now because of factors beyond our control we are able to do just that. We even found a place on the net with an indoor pool :laugh:

I agree about the hating both or one country thing, I for one love this country but it doesn't come close to giving me what I want unfortunately.

We are actually able to get a bigger house in the UK so that wont be an issue for us, I do like the idea of a nice solid stone house. I definitely don't listen to the doom and gloom merchants, I don't let their sad lives influence mine.

We are looking at Somerset or possibly Dorset but we need to be close to our friends who are all in Somerset.

Chris

I hope you have made the right descion. Hope you have your head screwed on. It will not be a bed of roses, the Party won't last long. And life is still life.

The people I feel mostly sorry for are the ones that hate the UK, get to Aus and hate Aus, then come home and realise why they left and go back to Aus hating the UK and living a misserble life in Aus.

I love life in this country, my only regret is going to Aus in the first place.

I knew I had to get back to England within a year, this gave me the opotunity to pick up were I left (Work mainly) and pick up the peices.

My fear for you is and I think I said this to 20yearpommie was the big house the weather maybe a swimming pool. There will be lots to miss about Aussie.

But I think the main thing will be work, if you build a succesful business then you will hopfully have cracked it.

Don't listen to all the Doom and Gloomers who have obviously waisted there lifes away being depresed and bored in Gloomy Britain, its like you say life is not a rehersal.

What part are you returning to?

I hope it works mate, it works for me. This country is still vibrant and a great place to be.

Good Luck John

Archived