The decision has been made.

Guest chris955

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Thanks, I could do with a couple more bedrooms ideally but that would suffice I suppose. :biggrin:

Guest kimmie

I have just registered with this website today after leaving the UK some 6 years ago! We left after a long army career and having lived in many different places decided that hey, New Zealand would just be another of those places! We boarded a plane with 3 teens and plenty of suitcases, we had return tickets as at that stage we had no set plans (no visa or offer of work) we just thought of it as another adventure. During that 3 years 1 teen went off and joined the Navy, the other went to live the city life in Auckland and my husband crossed the Tasman to pursure a bigger dollar (temporarily he said) I was left in a great big house with my littlest lad whom by then was a grumpy 15 year old.... several months later and after a nasty bout of illness, I sold up and joined my husband much to my youngest son's despair in South Australia! My son was obviously not keen on this and showed us in many different ways, being separated from his siblings wasn't easy for him, however he 'is' an outdoor kid and although it took some time he settled down (we lived right by the beach). He has since joined the Army here in Australia over a year ago now and is enjoying his life. Its only now I realise I was also unhappy in Australia, infact we have recently moved to Queensland after my husband lost employment for the 3rd time in Adelaide so we decided that a state move would be best, it would also bring us closer to the children, Auckland being more accessible by air from here and our youngest was here but has recently been posted to Sydney, thats ok, a very short flight away. After several weeks of trying to settle, thats it I'm just not settling........ I have always watched info programmes about the Uk, the latest being that Martin Clunes one about all the different islands around Britain, never knew most of them existed??? I also look on enviously at the changing seasons,particularly christmas time, the brisk cold winters there (my husband hates them) so I am happy that I have found this sounding board, and very envious that you have been able to make that decision as a family. Im really not sure anymore what I'm looking for and yes the weather here is fantastic, especially in Queensland, most of the year warm! Lots to do and places to visit, but I do agree its not for everyone, my children now have their lives and they are enjoying them, its quite a different story for me and I sometimes wish I could go back to those days when they were teens, would I do it differently, they were so opposed to the idea and I forced the issue thinking I was doing the best for 'them'.... as it turns out they all have good productive and useful lives, I'm the one that at the moment is feeling of no value, perhaps its simply that I have no job, live in a new development (thankfully we only rented temporarily for 6 mths) I dont know a soul, and on top of that I have no transport at the moment as my husband works by the airport and has to use the car everyday, we live in Northlakes.... yep I'm not normally full of such negativity but all feels a little hopeless at the minute, so therefore I am questioning why we ever came here, it seems although it should be a dream life, without any family or friends to share it with what is indeed the point??? I wish you well on your return to the UK and am pleased to hear someone else say 'its not for us' as it seemed I couldnt when I really should have spoken up so long ago :(

Guest chris955

Thanks again.

I hope it all works out for you MSTO, how are you finding things back in the UK ?

Guest chris955

We are looking at Somerset or Dorset, both beautiful areas that we know well and all our friends are near by. Now the decision has been made the excitement starts and the waiting and the waiting and the waiting :laugh:

Yahoo- Fantastic news Chris- whereabouts are you going?:hug:

MSTO-Great to hear all is going well-I wondered if you'd got there OK.:hug:

Hey Chris you lucky bugger wish it was me, I am sure you will all be fine and enjoy.

What ever happens I will get there one day, and that is what keeps me going here, knowing I will eventually get on that big bird, back to my home.

We are looking at Somerset or Dorset, both beautiful areas that we know well and all our friends are near by. Now the decision has been made the excitement starts and the waiting and the waiting and the waiting :laugh:

Sounds fabulous-how wonderful for you all- we will be home 8 weeks today:jiggy:

Guest chris955

Thanks, I'm sure your time will come, just be patient. :wink:

Hey Chris you lucky bugger wish it was me, I am sure you will all be fine and enjoy.

What ever happens I will get there one day, and that is what keeps me going here, knowing I will eventually get on that big bird, back to my home.

Guest chris955

We are really looking forward to it, our boys are very excited. Good luck with your move, it will be more like 8 months for us but that's OK as we have a few things to do before we go.

Sounds fabulous-how wonderful for you all- we will be home 8 weeks today:jiggy:

Guest chris955

Yes I agree, it is the ideal age in many ways, they are old enough to appreciate things but not so old that they have longterm friends that would make the move difficult.

will slot back in easliy with minimal impact if any at all!

Yes I agree, it is the ideal age in many ways, they are old enough to appreciate things but not so old that they have longterm friends that would make the move difficult.

Chris I could keep on adding bits, our children are 8(boy)and two girls 6&4 they will settle in anywhere at this age if you are happy. So,so pleased for you and your family.

Guest Guest37175
Chris I could keep on adding bits, our children are 8(boy)and two girls 6&4 they will settle in anywhere at this age if you are happy. So,so pleased for you and your family.

Ditto that. It really is the key to a happy family life. I really do think that opportunities in the UK match those that Oz offers. Different maybe, but great opportunities nonetheless :smile:

I don't support Australia in sport, I don't fly an Aussie flag from my car and can't understand all the fuss on Australia Day. These things have made me realise that I am not an Australian and really at my age I'm not going to be.

I want to live in the country in an old house with 2 foot thick walls and not have to worry about where the next lot of termites and going to start destroying it.

We know it will be tough for awhile but life isn't meant to be easy and you aren't meant to live your life somewhere you aren't 100% happy. The weather and beaches don't rule my life and neither do daily BBQ's, there are plenty of people who want all that and good luck to them.

Thats pretty much everything Aussie!!!! Why come over in the first place???

Guest guest36762
see ya in 6 months time on here saying you're oz bound again or off to meet up with Aldo in spain......lmbo :biglaugh:

Wishing you all the very best too, in Milan

Guest Caitmelbourne

Wow Chris, congratulations you must be so relieved!

Whereabouts in UK are you heading to?

Guest chris955

Yes it's strange, even though I have been thinking about it for a long time it isn't until a decision is actually made that it feels like a big weight being lifted off the shoulders.

We are looking at Somerset, maybe Dorset. There are loads of really nice places available for the price we can pay.

Wow Chris, congratulations you must be so relieved!

Whereabouts in UK are you heading to?

Archived