The decision has been made.

Guest chris955

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I have been doing a bit of online 'shopping' just recently, actually window shopping but I am amazed at just how cheap a lot of stuff is in the UK. Groceries look to be mostly cheaper and many items are crazy cheap. Also clothing, especially kids clothes.

It seems strange to me that with sales tax which is soon to be double what we have here most stuff still seems comparable or cheaper in price.

well chris, some reckon that tax in the uk will go up to about 30% or 35% soon due to the mess they are in at the mo, family allowance has been frozen for a few years too, VAT has gone up to 20%, food is to rocket as well, all in all its a great place to go at the mo..lol :biggrin:

if you are struck on going back all i have to say is good luck and hope it works out and is everything you wanted and turns out ok for ya

Guest chris955

Actually I 2nd that, hope it all goes well Geoff.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you Geoff:smile:

Guest chris955

My wife has made me promise to get her the car she has wanted for years, I have agreed in principal :biggrin:

lotus_elise.jpg

Guest chris955

Thanks Cal, I'm always telling her she is a lucky lady but she doesn't seem convinced :laugh:

I'm not sure if the one she gets will look EXACTLY like that one :wink:

Guest Ista
I have been doing a bit of online 'shopping' just recently, actually window shopping but I am amazed at just how cheap a lot of stuff is in the UK. Groceries look to be mostly cheaper and many items are crazy cheap. Also clothing, especially kids clothes.

It seems strange to me that with sales tax which is soon to be double what we have here most stuff still seems comparable or cheaper in price.

That does depend where you shop...Asda and Aldi and places like that are very cheap but I don't think the quality is great. I love Waitrose (and Ocado!) but you do pay a lot more there.

That does depend where you shop...Asda and Aldi and places like that are very cheap but I don't think the quality is great. I love Waitrose (and Ocado!) but you do pay a lot more there.

I agree , when I got back I coudnt get over all the special offers but quality can be sadly lacking in some places , I think meat cheaper and better quality in Australia and definatly fruit and veg

Guest chris955

I'm talking mostly about brands not their own brands. Lots of branded stuff seems to be cheaper. It's not the reason we are going back anyway more of a bonus.

It's funny when my brother was in the UK recently he commented on the quality of the fruit and veg, in a good way.

I must admit in all my years there I never had any issue with fruit and veg or meat.

Ive just got back from a 3 week trip back home (Yorkshire!) I had forgotton just how beautiful the place is, and how much I miss/love my close friends, Ive even come back with a tan, its a strange feeling to get back to Sydney and be freezing cold, Ive never been so cold in a house why they dont have central heating and double glazing in a place that gets this cold is beyond me!

I also managed a nice 6 day trip to Glastonbury, nothing else like it on this planet and a thing like that just shows how diverse, creative and intriguing Britain is, Ive been back in Sydney 3 days and I'm already bored!

Ho Hum, some difficult decisions to be made I think.

Ive just got back from a 3 week trip back home (Yorkshire!) I had forgotton just how beautiful the place is, and how much I miss/love my close friends, Ive even come back with a tan, its a strange feeling to get back to Sydney and be freezing cold, Ive never been so cold in a house why they dont have central heating and double glazing in a place that gets this cold is beyond me!

I also managed a nice 6 day trip to Glastonbury, nothing else like it on this planet and a thing like that just shows how diverse, creative and intriguing Britain is, Ive been back in Sydney 3 days and I'm already bored!

Ho Hum, some difficult decisions to be made I think.

Hi christopher-not seen you on here in ages-what part of Yorkshire did you go to-we go back in 51 days for good!!!

I find the quality of the fruit and veg ok in UK as long as you eat it on the day you buy it, it does not last as long as it does in Aus. Oh loves bananas and they look ok on the outside but he always has to sling one in the rubbish.

I guess when veg is imported from Africa and take days to get to market its not going to last that long once bought.

Guest chris955

I can't imagine that with all the fruit and veg they grow down south that they would import too much from Africa, the supermarkets maybe but not in the proper markets. Vegetables from Africa accounted for around 15% of total imports of veg, I would have thought most imports would come from mainland Europe in which case they wouldn't take any longer to arrive than from up here down to Melbourne or vise versa.

A reason we only buy a few bananas at a time is because they go black within days.

I can't imagine that with all the fruit and veg they grow down south that they would import too much from Africa, the supermarkets maybe but not in the proper markets. Vegetables from Africa accounted for around 15% of total imports of veg, I would have thought most imports would come from mainland Europe in which case they wouldn't take any longer to arrive than from up here down to Melbourne or vise versa.

A reason we only buy a few bananas at a time is because they go black within days.

Yes the markets are better but when you do use the supermarket lot is imported and can go off quickly , but as for Bananas best tip I had us to get a Banana bag from Lakeland , they last ages its great

Guest Ista

We have the same problems with fruit here (in London). I could probably find better quality in markets but it's difficult to find time to go to them (especially with working full-time) so I usually end up in my locals Tesco's, whose quality leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Chris - I think you mentioned you were going down to Somerset or nearby, you'd prob have better access to local produce than other parts of the country so that'll be good. As you say though, you're not moving because of little things like this so it really doesn't matter. :cute: Btw, great choices for the areas you're looking to move to...if I ever have to come back to the UK, I've told my OH I'll only come back if we can move to Bath - the area around there is just gorgeous.

Guest chris955

My wife is from Bath and we spent all our time when in the UK living in Bath, that is primarily why we want to live in that area as all our friends are in the surrounding towns and villages. It is absolutely beautiful there.

Archived