Suspension of General Skilled Migration

tcillc

Hi Lucy

That list really is just a draft of suggestions...

Plus I don't think it relates to the states at all - I think the states can pick and choose what occupations they want on their shortage lists and that they are different - one of the reasons for having the state lists...

Good luck in getting your assessment back soon and lodging with QLD

VickyMel

Well we can't get our assessment soon now as hadn't sent it off yet so too late now. No weren't weren't lodging with QLD as that was only state NOT sponsoring my partner's tarde couples back, but who knows what will happens down the line now. :(

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ladygray

7 May 2010

MIA Notice: Suspension of Offshore General Skilled Migration

The Minister has today announced a temporary suspension of certain general skilled migration visas. The move hopes to ensure that all offshore general skilled applications made after today are in accordance with the occupations included on the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL), to be released later this month. The Minister has not indicated when the suspension will be lifted, however it will be no earlier than the announcement of the new SOL.

The Minister has announced that his Department will not accept applications for the following visa subclasses from 8 May 2010 until further notice:

<LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #575757; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent; <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: #575757; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored; and
  • Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored.

Therefore, any applications received by the Department after 8 May 2010 for one of the above visa subclasses will be returned and the visa application charge refunded.

Please note that this suspension does not affect onshore general skilled migration visas.

See here for the media release.

hi tfarrell,

joiner/carpenter is on the draft sol, but have to wait and see for the final list.

my hubbie is a cabinetmaker, doesnt seem to be on it, unless it comes under carpenter. fed up of all this changes, its like trying to hit a moving target!!!!!

anyway, will get on with the tra and hope all this is sorted when we have the assessment completed.

good luck everyone.

cheers cazmayo

Guest June Pixie
hi tfarrell,

joiner/carpenter is on the draft sol, but have to wait and see for the final list.

my hubbie is a cabinetmaker, doesnt seem to be on it, unless it comes under carpenter. fed up of all this changes, its like trying to hit a moving target!!!!!

anyway, will get on with the tra and hope all this is sorted when we have the assessment completed.

good luck everyone.

cheers cazmayo

Hi Cazmayo,

I found that strange too - My OH is a cabinetmaker and it's not on the draft SOL list although carpenter and joiner is. We have lodged the visa under the cabinetmaker remit, time will tell if we will still be cat 5. I really hope there are no retrospective changes to already lodged visas. I am quite despondant about the whole affair now; being more miffed about the amount of money we have spend over actually getting to Australia.

Guest maiseesheff1968

Can anyone help not sure how to ask a question. My husband is now 47 and we want to emigrate. Has anyone else been successful emigrating to oz on an employment sponsorship. My husband is a carpenter / joiner, with a degree in construction. Help and thanks

Can anyone help not sure how to ask a question. My husband is now 47 and we want to emigrate. Has anyone else been successful emigrating to oz on an employment sponsorship. My husband is a carpenter / joiner, with a degree in construction. Help and thanks

i thought the cut off was 45

I feel a bit more relaxed, after looking at draft list I didn't think my partners trade was on there at all as couldn't see welder. However, after specking with my agent they have said the draft has grouped all the occupations together and welder could well be under 'Metal casting, forging and finishing trades workers'. So fingers crossed good news to come. I didn't realise this as most things on the draft looked pretty direct to what it was.

Time to think positive

Good luck to everyone, and as my agent always quotes at an end of an email "There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going".

Guest karen190572

Visa application in , now to get my State sponsorship off , I just hope it is in time , keeping everything crossed , good luck to anyone applying today xx

Guest jilkfree1978
DOH! I just paid for our TRA last night and am sending off application in todays post. I really am worrying now. My DH is a carpenter/joiner, whats anyones thoughts on weather his skill will be on new SOL? I am devastated this morning.

on questions and answers,it says that if you send the application by post and they recieve it after the cut of date it will be void and they will refund you your money!!

on questions and answers,it says that if you send the application by post and they recieve it after the cut of date it will be void and they will refund you your money!!

I think tfarrell was referring to the TRA Application.

Visa application in , now to get my State sponsorship off , I just hope it is in time , keeping everything crossed , good luck to anyone applying today xx

Well slipped in under the wire sis!

Just sit back and waaaiiiiittttt now ! :biggrin::wink:

Guest steve2424

Had almost submitted my skills assessment application to TRA in order to begin my application for the Australian Skilled Sponsored visa.

I know I should hold off on the visa application however does any one see why I shouldn’t continue with skills assessment application

Steve

Had almost submitted my skills assessment application to TRA in order to begin my application for the Australian Skilled Sponsored visa.

I know I should hold off on the visa application however does any one see why I shouldn’t continue with skills assessment application

Steve

No one knows what is in store. At least wait till the new SOL list is out to ensure you do not unnecessarily waste money. Hopeully it will be out by mid May and then you can send in your application.

Well how's your luck,

I have practical skills assessment this month, paid almost a grand for it.

Thought i would just be able to get it done and results back in the nik of time to lodge before new list.

Definatly not a time to count your chicken's i guess.

Still will just crack on with it and hope Plumber is on the new list.

Is it to early in the day to Drink do you think? :swoon:

Guest micky38

grrrrrrr...first they take out the MODL...then they let us wait for the new SOl........now this!!

But I still want to go ...so I"ll wait

Micky

good luck, hope you're successful and you get to hear really quickly

Guest ouseun

:biggrin:I AM LUCKY I SENT OF YESTERDAY GOT MY NOTIFCATION FROM THEM LOOKED TODAY AN SAW THIS :smile: I AM SORRY FOR THE OTHER WHO DID NOT GET IT IN THEY HAVE NOT BEEN FAIR AND OPEN ABOUT THIS THEY ARE PLAYING WITH PEOPLES LIVE :frown::frown::frown::frown:

A QUOTE FROM BROWNFAMILY I would rather regret something that I have done than regret something that I haven't done. I AGREE

Hi everyone, we managed to lodge our visa app by 10.01 pm Sydney time on 7th May 2010. However, on our receipt it says Submitted date 08/05/10 but our Credit card transaction says 07/05/10.

We have a TRN number and the site told us our app had been submitted but we don't know if we quite made it in time.

When we try to login to the site we are told

The following errors have been encountered:

Unable to provide further processing details at this time as the link to the application processing system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

So looks like they have shut the site temporarily. It still does say underneath on Application status that it has commenced.

So I will be crossing all my fingers and toes (if that's possible!) and hope that everyone who has submitted today is accepted and we don't get our fees returned.

It's been quite a day I can tell you

Claire

Hi everyone, we managed to lodge our visa app by 10.01 pm Sydney time on 7th May 2010. However, on our receipt it says Submitted date 08/05/10 but our Credit card transaction says 07/05/10.

We have a TRN number and the site told us our app had been submitted but we don't know if we quite made it in time.

Unable to provide further processing details at this time as the link to the application processing system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

So looks like they have shut the site temporarily. It still does say underneath on Application status that it has commenced.

So I will be crossing all my fingers and toes (if that's possible!) and hope that everyone who has submitted today is accepted and we don't get our fees returned.

Claire

You have done what had to be done... Now we will have to wait and see !

Guest adrianyts

Claire

If i am not mistaken the time is crucial cause it is already 1 am here...the submission was closed 1 hour ago at Brisbane location and application for 175 and 176 could be done online but not too sure which office is the processing of those applications...hope people get to jump in the boat on time...good luck to all...

If i am not mistaken the time is crucial cause it is already 1 am here...the submission was closed 1 hour ago...hope people get to jump in the boat on time...good luck to all...

We submitted with just under 2 hours til cut-off so am hoping we were OK.

I just checked their site and the options for submitting a new online visa for 175, 176 and 475 are now greyed out. As we managed to lodge and get a TRN we are hoping that is OK.

Archived