why come back to this sh-t hole?

Guest Count Zero

It's not really as simple as that. An actual example on here awhile ago, someone posted that everything was really expensive in the UK, a sofa costs 500 quid. Now of course you can spend 500 on one or 2k or more so it was a meaningless statement because you can also buy one for 150 quid. I suppose the best course would be to ignore these things but why ?

That is a bit of a strange statement re the sofa's(couches to a norvern monkey like me!)

Nah but that wasnt realy the kind of thing im on about,i guess what im saying is that..."if/when im happy in australia(or here!)i just wouldnt be ar7ed getting annoyed about what anyone else thinks" chris,as long as we were happy..................

I.E if we ever do get to live in Victor harbor S.A and WE like it and then someone posts something negative about victor harbor,like "everyones over 90 y.o.a in victor",and they are(well nearly:biglaugh:),it just wouldnt bother me if we were there+happy,thats all.

You could say some statements are misinforming people,and thats probably correct,but anyone with an ounce of sense should be able to recognise BS,or would they??????

I think sometimes people put "too much" store by "some" of whats said on PIO tbh.

Tbh i cba arguing with some of these people in the uk great/crap,oz great/crap camps,they will never change their minds,because they'd view that as losing face i think.

Besides i went all "dead nice" sometime around the turn of the yr+im content:cute::biglaugh:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia-fattest-nation.jpg

keira-knightley-is-one-skinny-lady.jpg

The large lady is Australian, the thin lady is an English actress.

In conclusion all Aussies are fat bastads, and all English are skinny and attractive

I trust this puts this particular debate to bed

I'll disagree with you, just because she is skinny it does not make her attractive, nor a fat person ugly (I know you did not use the word ugly) to me, the skinny actress is skin wrapped around bone and will end up costing the NHS more money than an over weight person. :cute:

Skinny does not equal fit, attractive or healthy!

I'll disagree with you, just because she is skinny it does not make her attractive, nor a fat person ugly (I know you did not use the word ugly) to me, the skinny actress is skin wrapped around bone and will end up costing the NHS more money than an over weight person. :cute:

Skinny does not equal fit, attractive or healthy!

For some reason i'm not seeing the skinny photo, just the fat one. Don't know why.

Kind of agree with that... to a point where do you cross the fat/skinny line? Thing is the above piccys are 2 extremes. Personally I would not fancy any of them. Fat or Skinny. Both these birds have unattractive bodies and do not look healthy.

:laugh:It's not really as simple as that. An actual example on here awhile ago, someone posted that everything was really expensive in the UK, a sofa costs 500 quid. Now of course you can spend 500 on one or 2k or more so it was a meaningless statement because you can also buy one for 150 quid. I suppose the best course would be to ignore these things but why ?

It's true chris955, to say something costs X amount of dollars or pounds is ridiculous, as it depends where you shop - sofas can be cheap or a bit more expensive or a lot more expensive depending. My sister and I both wanted a sofa and said we want 2, so how much, it's either 2 for a bargain or none at all what's your deal? We came away with a good deal - about $800 off the whole floor price. My good friend who is from Herefordshire has been here ten years and she keeps doing the pounds conversion, and she drives me crazy with it, don't do it, you have been in Australia ten years, settle down woman !

I have found this on dozens of occasions. I will meet someone after being in OZ for a while and they will say, 'Why are you back in this sh7tehole for?' When I say I am either visiting family, business, holiday, etc, all I am met with is, 'Bet you can't wait to get back'. I tend to give up after a while, but I will often say, 'Why do you think it is so great in Australia?' Answer is normally this, 'Ahhhhh, the sun, sea, the sun, the sea, ahhh the SUN, the SEA'.

I WANT to turn around and say, 'Listen, you still HAVE to work, still HAVE to deal with arseholes, still HAVE to deal with the kids schooling, still HAVE to worry about the bills, etc, etc, etc.

But I know full well the answer I will get will be, 'Ahhhh, but at least you have the SUN, SEA, SUN, SEA, blah, blah, blah'.

No matter what you say a lot of people equate Australia with leaving all your troubles behind because there is the sun and sea. And most welcome these things are, BUT. You still have to work in Australia, unless extremely lucky.

I often say to these people why on earth they don't look into the possibilities of living abroad, and they generally just shrug their shoulders and turn away, turn away mumbling what a sh7tehole the UK is. :wacko:

Nowt as queer as folk I guess.:daydreaming:

yep thats exactly what i've always known

the below only mainly applies to young folks;

many of them the type who could never in a million years afford to live near the beach, and often would soon get sick of going there all by themselves anyway cos no-one can be bothered to go with them

also fella's realising that they can't just go down the local pub and 'pull" a bird like they do back home

and many others but i can't be bothered

in short they don't realise that oz is different in many ways

"Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap"

Maybe that's why this forum is so busy and a lot of people would agree with the statement above. I think if England had Australias weather it would seem so much better. I remember waking up and having to scrape ice of the car and queueing in chocker block traffic in the dark to get to and from work and then being too cold and dark to be bothered to do anything else but sit in front of the TV. It gets you down after a while.

i agree with that but only really in the winter which i hated but loved the atmosphere in summer

i reckon the other main thing is that generally money seems to go further in oz

Why should it be such an unthinkable concept that Australia is (for some) simply a better country in which to live than the UK purely because of it's main attractions sun and sea?

Why overcomplicate and psycho-analyse it?

no it's not unthinkable (for some)

(some) people can afford to live near the sea, and (some) people suffer from severe SAD

Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

I just wish they'd be a little more considerate and think of their english neighbour who's been up until 2 a.m. on P.I.O. during which time he managed to neck two cleanskins and three portions of green Thai curry!.

I wake up hung-over and disorientated every sunday morning to hear my neighbours shouting to each other:

"Morning mate!, beautiful day!."

"Yeah, beautiful mate!"

"How was your brekky?"

"Oh, beautiful mate....how was yours?"

"Beauty mate!"

"You watchin' the Iron Man today?"

"Arr, yeah, beautif......"

:arghh:

did you watch the cricket last night?

me - "no i got pissed and high on coke, and ended up in bed with some bird, can't remember her name"........................................................................................................................................................................

silence and change of subject

(i'm sure i had more fun than he did watching the cricket)

Yes - 100%. You are allowed to love Australia and prefer it to the UK but curiously you are not allowed to prefer the UK over Australia.

The big ''everybody knows that'' cliche is that Australia is ''God's country'' and clearly better than the UK in every conceivable way. It's largely a myth.

I have often noticed that when Aussies spend time in the UK on holiday or whilst travelling or visiting family it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for them to moan about things such as the busy roads and high streets or the price of petrol or the cold weather. They carry on like the American in Fawlty Towers: ''what do you get for living in a climate like this.......blah blah blah''. If, however, a British person finds any fault whatsoever with Australia he/she is INSTANTLY branded an unappreciative ''whinging pom'' with a bad attitude and told to shut-up immediately.

If that isn't a major double standard then I don't know what is.

The Aussies get huffy and defensive and annoyed when someone criticises their country yet they see no problem taking the piss out of other nations - ''kiwis, poms'' etc. Look at the recent Robin Williams thing.

Hypocrites, basically.

The expats here often don't help. They are happy with the idea that the UK is **** and Australia is great, so they try and ''put you down'' and dismiss you INSTANTLY when you claim that you prefer the UK cos they find it threatening to their little model of things in their minds.

your right in a lot of ways but honestly they're are alot of aussies who are very different (usually the smarter ones or those who have been to uk)

Oh!?????? Tell me how you do it? How do you get to meet these Aussies that are travelling or visiting families in the UK? How do you get priveliged acces to their conversations? How do you know it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for them to moan?

I met only 3 Aussies when I last spent a month touring the UK and all of them thought it was a wonderful place...............I must've been unlucky eh, not to be privvy to your stimulating conversations with them? :biglaugh:

All those Aussies working in London must hate the bloody place :biglaugh:

I'm gald you take yourself seriously, 'cause I for one don't :goofy:

kev

i have to say though kev that aussies in uk are very different to the ones that don't go there

I wont comment on the specifics of this but Kev you must admit that Aussies do consider it their God given right to criticise every country in the world often even if they have never been to them ? On the other hand they aren't good at taking criticism from others about their country. Just look at KRudd having to make a comment about Robin Williams.

thats right

I had the pleasure of living in Middlesbrough....the most polluted city in Uk where figures showed you had a 1 in 4 chance of getting a serious illness before the age of 52 and life expectancy was the lowest in Uk. It had nothing to do with whether you were an immigrant. Even the birds cough in Middlesbrough.

Also..just a thought....a lot of the "obese" people I have spoken to here in Australia are in fact Brits so maybe that is why Australia is becoming a fatter nation than Britain...they're all coming over here LOL My husband and I are probably classed as 2 of them but you know what ?we eat healthy food 90% of the time, excercise, walk a lot, our cholestoral levels normal. Neither of us has any ailments or take any medications at 60 years old and we are VERY happy to be in this beautiful country.

Monica :yes:

i'm not sure how accurate these fat stats are, but nowadays i don't think there is any difference between aussies and brits for fatness

the figures here though are worse because of the huge maori and islander population the latter being easily the fattest race on earth

but 10 +years ago aussies were definitely fatter

Guest Count Zero
Cos lots of people want their view validated. Often this is those who have left their country (e.g. Britain) and gone abroad (e.g. to Australia) and now want their decision validated by slagging off the UK and running it down on every conceivable issue.

That way they can feel that they have done 100% the right thing. People who have done something big generally want to feel it was right.

Thats an interesting thought. I think its quite difficult to retain a balanced view when moving is such an emotional issue.

Guest Count Zero
Indigenous men have a life expectancy of 67 years -- 11.5 years less than non-indigenous men -- while indigenous women have a life expectancy of 73 years -- 9.2 years less than non-indigenous women.

A vast improvement on the 40 year lifespans before the white man arrived. They have allot to thank us for.

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually there are a couple of different sets of statistics about obesity available on the internet,

for example there are some World Health Organisation stats from surveys taken between 2000 and 2008 that don't have Australia in the top 10.

Here’s the list of the fattest countries in the world according to the World Health Organization (WHO): 1. American Samoa, 93.5 per cent (of population that’s overweight)

Traditionally, Pacific Islanders ate native foods high in complex carbohydrates and low in fat. That began to change dietary habits as family members abroad introduced those back home to Western eating.

Krizia’s take: I was floored when I read that almost 100% of the population in Samoa was overweight. I mean, it’s incredible how countries are affected by the American diet. You’ll see this as a recurring theme among the other countries on this list!

2. Kiribati (in the Pacific Ocean), 81.5 per cent

Between 1964 and 2001, food imports to the least developed Pacific nations, such as Kiribati, increased six-fold. Those imports led to a huge influx in fatty food and processed meat, such as Spam and mutton flaps (fatty sheep scraps).

3. U.S., 66.7 per cent

In the early 1960s, 24 per cent of Americans were overweight. Today, two-thirds of Americans are too fat, and the numbers on the scale keep going up. Health experts attribute the rise to an over-production of oil, fat and sugar — the result of government farm subsidies started in the 1970s that made it much cheaper to manufacture products like high fructose corn syrup, a common ingredient in processed foods.

Krizia’s take: I guess Americans aren’t as fat as we thought they were given that 93% of Samoans are obese!

4. Germany, 66.5 per cent

When Germany found out that it was the fattest nation in Europe, health experts blamed the usual suspects: beer, fatty foods and lack of physical activity. Like the rest of the world, Germans are suffering from an easy availability of junk food and more sedentary jobs and lifestyles.

5. Egypt, 66 per cent

In the 1960s, Egypt produced enough food to feed its people a steady diet of red meat, poultry, lentils, maize and dairy products. But by the 1980s, the population had outgrown food production, leading to an increase in food imports that created poorer eating habits.

Krizia’s take: Here’s another country that really surprised me a lot. I always thought that Egyptian lived off a Middle Eastern diet, which is usually known to be quite healthy.

6. Bosnia-Herzegovina, 62.9 per cent

Smoking, drinking and eating unhealthy foods spiked during the war that ravaged the country from 1992 to 1995. Those living just above the poverty line are gaining weight the fastest, partly because of the tendency to fill up on cheap processed foods high in calories and low on nutritional value.

7. New Zealand, 62.7 per cent

Researchers found that how much time New Zealand children spend watching television is a better predictor of obesity than what they eat or how much they exercise. The study found that 41 percent of the children who were overweight by age 26 were those who had watched the most TV.

8. Israel, 61.9 per cent

In the past 30 years, the number of obese Israelis has tripled. As in most developed countries, obesity is most prevalent among Israelis with less education.

9. Croatia, 61.4 per cent

Croatia is a victim of the globalization of the food market, which tends to suppress traditional diets as cheaper processed foods from the U.S. and Europe flood store shelves.

10. United Kingdom, 61 per cent

A recent survey ranked the British among the bottom third of European nations in physical exercise, leading Health Secretary Andy Burnham to comment, “We’re really in danger of being known as the best in the world for watching sport, but one of the worst for getting out there and doing it for ourselves.”

10 fattest countries in the world - Wellsphere

That's from an article dated 01 Jan 2010.where as the other figures quoted are from 2008 and they do show that Australia overtook the US as the fattest nation in 2008.so I guess you can chose which set of stats you use to bolster your argument.

• 1 month later...
Guest guest36762
Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

:arghh:

Not in Geelong mate!

the only exercise locals get round here is walking, no waddling to the Ford Territory and driving to Coles for more Tim Tams. Never in my life have I seen so many fat people

Not in Geelong mate!

the only exercise locals get round here is walking, no waddling to the Ford Territory and driving to Coles for more Tim Tams. Never in my life have I seen so many fat people

Brisbane must get the silver then, they get to fat to waddle, they just get the state to buy them a mobility scooter with a basket on the front for the KFC:biglaugh:

Guest guest36762
Brisbane must get the silver then, they get to fat to waddle, they just get the state to buy them a mobility scooter with a basket on the front for the KFC:biglaugh:

Surely it must be very uncomfortable being fat in Brissie?

The chafing cream must fly off the shelves in Brisbane's Chemmart stores!

Surely it must be very uncomfortable being fat in Brissie?

The chafing cream must fly off the shelves in Brisbane's Chemmart stores!

chip fat :yes:

Hey Aldo .....where did you get the "white Dragon" from .Iam sure you are aware its the ORIGINAL ANGLO SAXON FLAG OF THE ENGLISH pre dates the Flag of St George ,but iam sre you knew that ........England Clothing and Gifts, England Flags and Merchandise, England accessories

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yes I have noticed it too though it is a generalisation.

Is Australia the best place in the world? - No

Is the UK crap? - No

There are a lot of deluded people out there!

Is Australia the best place in the world? Definately one of the best.

Is the uk crap? Definately not, there are some places that are horrible, but in general its not bad, nowhere near as nice as Australia.

The simple truth is that the uk is a different place to live in when the weathers nice, 2 hours to kick off England v USA and the suns been out all afternoon and the drink already flowing. Been sitting out and enjoying life outside, BUT..................................

And this is the problem with the uk, for 7/8 even 9 months of the year the weather is CRAP and this is a fact of life here. People say its not a good reason to emigrate, but i am sure its close to the top of the list when people are deciding.

As for someone saying that people are trying to find justification as to why they have emigrated and wanting to prove that they have made the right decision by slagging off the uk, to me is nonsense, it sounds like some psychi babbling bullsh7t to me. The reasons why people are emigrating are many and varied and everyone is singularly different. There are ALOT of things going wrong in the uk at present and to deny this is just burying your head in the sand, it doesn't mean that the uk is crap, but it does mean that things are ALOT better in Australia, which if you know a better country to live in, in the world at present, i would be interested to hear where this place is.

We all have differing views and this is my view and no one has come up with any good argument to make me change my mind and having been twice to Australia. Perth and Brisbane, i have seen at first hand just how fantastic it is. BUT.............................. if we had great weather in the uk and we weren't in such a financial mess then the uk wouldn't be that far behind Australia.

England 2-0 USA. My prediction. Rooney and Lampard.:wink:

Archived