why come back to this sh-t hole?

Guest Count Zero

Guest Count Zero

People keep asking me why I would choose to come back to this sh-t hole! This is odd because when I was in Australia people never asked me why I would move to Australia, they just assumed that the UK is indeed a sh-t hole so didn't need to ask my reason, either that or they just wern't interested maybe.

Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LukeSkywalker

Yes. Its caused by the politcally correct ars*holes that have destroyed anyones ability to say what a great place this is in case you are racist.

Guest chris955

Yes it's a weird thing and I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest. I don't agree with the racism angle though, from experience the British have always been extremely self effacing and more than happy to run their own country down. It's a sad habit but a little confusing as the same people will often tell you at other times about the great places they have been to at home.

Aussies are more like Americans and that is obvious with all the flag waving and chest beating we see, the British will often ignore the good things they have achieved and Aussies will tend to bang on about it endlessly.

The UK population can be very negative on the whole. Grumbling about the weather, politics, this, that and the other. They do not realise the same sh1te happens everywhere, but are so focussed on running themselves down they do not see it. Unfo 9/10 it will boil down to the weather, which is a tad shallow.

Guest LukeSkywalker
YI don't agree with the racism angle though, from experience the British have always been extremely self effacing and more than happy to run their own country down.

Ah yes, but thats the point. You can run down anybody/anything that is british (ridicule Christianity, take the p1ss out of a posh white mans accent, call our culture rubbish etc) BUT try to do that about any of the "new Brits" and they want to stone you to death. I think that lack of freedom is now making more and more peoplethink the place is a sh1t hole

Guest LukeSkywalker
I think perceived lack of freedom is more accurate.

Really?

Well from what I can see the Mirror ran a story today about "toffs with posh accents" when talking about Cameron. Ho ho - how we laughed.

I wonder how a story about "Asians with funny accents" would go down?

Hm. Let me see.

PERCEIVED lack of freedom? I dont think so.

Guest guest37336

I have found this on dozens of occasions. I will meet someone after being in OZ for a while and they will say, 'Why are you back in this sh7tehole for?' When I say I am either visiting family, business, holiday, etc, all I am met with is, 'Bet you can't wait to get back'. I tend to give up after a while, but I will often say, 'Why do you think it is so great in Australia?' Answer is normally this, 'Ahhhhh, the sun, sea, the sun, the sea, ahhh the SUN, the SEA'.

I WANT to turn around and say, 'Listen, you still HAVE to work, still HAVE to deal with arseholes, still HAVE to deal with the kids schooling, still HAVE to worry about the bills, etc, etc, etc.

But I know full well the answer I will get will be, 'Ahhhh, but at least you have the SUN, SEA, SUN, SEA, blah, blah, blah'.

No matter what you say a lot of people equate Australia with leaving all your troubles behind because there is the sun and sea. And most welcome these things are, BUT. You still have to work in Australia, unless extremely lucky.

I often say to these people why on earth they don't look into the possibilities of living abroad, and they generally just shrug their shoulders and turn away, turn away mumbling what a sh7tehole the UK is. :wacko:

Nowt as queer as folk I guess.:daydreaming:

People keep asking me why I would choose to come back to this sh-t hole! This is odd because when I was in Australia people never asked me why I would move to Australia, they just assumed that the UK is indeed a sh-t hole so didn't need to ask my reason, either that or they just wern't interested maybe.

Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap.

100% agree

And this is where all the problems lay! If you can't respect your own country and show a dis taste for the place (your home) how can you expect anyone else too?

Yes I have noticed it too though it is a generalisation.

Is Australia the best place in the world? - No

Is the UK crap? - No

There are a lot of deluded people out there!

I have found this on dozens of occasions. I will meet someone after being in OZ for a while and they will say, 'Why are you back in this sh7tehole for?' When I say I am either visiting family, business, holiday, etc, all I am met with is, 'Bet you can't wait to get back'. I tend to give up after a while, but I will often say, 'Why do you think it is so great in Australia?' Answer is normally this, 'Ahhhhh, the sun, sea, the sun, the sea, ahhh the SUN, the SEA'.

I WANT to turn around and say, 'Listen, you still HAVE to work, still HAVE to deal with arseholes, still HAVE to deal with the kids schooling, still HAVE to worry about the bills, etc, etc, etc.

But I know full well the answer I will get will be, 'Ahhhh, but at least you have the SUN, SEA, SUN, SEA, blah, blah, blah'.

No matter what you say a lot of people equate Australia with leaving all your troubles behind because there is the sun and sea. And most welcome these things are, BUT. You still have to work in Australia, unless extremely lucky.

I often say to these people why on earth they don't look into the possibilities of living abroad, and they generally just shrug their shoulders and turn away, turn away mumbling what a sh7tehole the UK is. :wacko:

Well these folk can just nip off back to the Costas in 2 hours and get this. It will take me 2 hours to drive to a decent surfing beach from here.... and it will probably cost more than an Easyjet flight 'an all. What makes then think everyone lives "ON" the beach here. Fact is they do not.

Know where you are comin from mate, the 2 week reccys, livin the dream ,reality kicks in they either go back to the uk or winge about it, if they came with the its same **** shinier bucket , they would prob perceive it as different

"Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap"

Maybe that's why this forum is so busy and a lot of people would agree with the statement above. I think if England had Australias weather it would seem so much better. I remember waking up and having to scrape ice of the car and queueing in chocker block traffic in the dark to get to and from work and then being too cold and dark to be bothered to do anything else but sit in front of the TV. It gets you down after a while.

Yes I have noticed it too though it is a generalisation.

Is Australia the best place in the world? - No

Is the UK crap? - No

There are a lot of deluded people out there!

I'd have to disagree with you there. Speaking from my personal experience.

Is Australia the best place in the world? - possibly

Is the UK crap? - Yes

"Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap"

Maybe that's why this forum is so busy and a lot of people would agree with the statement above. I think if England had Australias weather it would seem so much better. I remember waking up and having to scrape ice of the car and queueing in chocker block traffic in the dark to get to and from work and then being too cold and dark to be bothered to do anything else but sit in front of the TV. It gets you down after a while.

You sit in a nice cosy pub instead....with a beautiful warm real ale!

Anyway, that part only last a couple of months and Xmas is in the middle. Xmas to me should be cold and dark! A nice spring day or sumers day in the country just can't be bettered anywhere.

Just as well UK TV is better that the dross over here anyway.

Well these folk can just nip off back to the Costas in 2 hours and get this. It will take me 2 hours to drive to a decent surfing beach from here.... and it will probably cost more than an Easyjet flight 'an all. What makes then think everyone lives "ON" the beach here. Fact is they do not.

You could move closer to the beach though. Unless you wanted to emigrate to Spain you still only get your couple of weeks in the sun. Moving nearer to the coast in the UK is just not the same. The surfs not great in the "costas" either from memory.

Guest Guest31881

I think the media in the UK has a lot to answer for, you do not see many stories printed in the press or on TV about the good things in the UK, just the stories telling you how bad it is. In Australia the press are always printing stories about the good side of Australia.

The UK has plenty to shout about and has some wonderfull atributes. But it makes a better story for the media to run things down and say how bad things are.

I live in Australia and love it here, I also love my home country, each have their good and bad points.

Guest chris955

Absolutely spot on, it is those who take the Daily Excess as gospel that spread the nonsense.

I think the media in the UK has a lot to answer for, you do not see many stories printed in the press or on TV about the good things in the UK, just the stories telling you how bad it is. In Australia the press are always printing stories about the good side of Australia.

The UK has plenty to shout about and has some wonderfull atributes. But it makes a better story for the media to run things down and say how bad things are.

I live in Australia and love it here, I also love my home country, each have their good and bad points.

Anyway, that part only last a couple of months and Xmas is in the middle. Xmas to me should be cold and dark! A nice spring day or sumers day in the country just can't be bettered anywhere.

Granted a nice spring or summers day in the country used to be great when we were kids. We lived near the pennines, not far away from the snake pass, Bamford, Ladybower reservoir and the beautiful countryside. Trouble is, In the years leading up to us emigrating, If you went there on a nice day you found 10,000 people had the same idea and you just sat in traffic for hours to get anywhere, then struggled to find somewhere to park for the next 30 mins. then everwhere you went is packed. When I was growing up there in the 60's - 70's there was plenty of room to move around, go blackberrying and kick a ball around. We emigrated here in 92 so I doubt things have improved.

Just wondering what the wife and kids do while your sat in the nice cosy pub enjoying your real ale?

Guest guest17301

Why should it be such an unthinkable concept that Australia is (for some) simply a better country in which to live than the UK purely because of it's main attractions sun and sea?

Why overcomplicate and psycho-analyse it?

Why should it be such an unthinkable concept that Australia is (for some) simply a better country in which to live than the UK purely because of it's main attractions sun and sea?

Ha Ha .... someone said something similar today at work, that I was complicating things by trying to rationalise it

Yes Kalgoorlie by the sea

Archived