why come back to this sh-t hole?

Guest Count Zero

Guest guest36187

Connie, I NEVER said that you had not been civil. It was a generic comment to the thread in general.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connie although I understand the point you are trying to make I think you may be being a bit hard on Jim,I agree that he is maybe making a judgement based

on limited experiences but does that neccessarily make them any less valid?.

If he had returned to the UK and posted a comment like'Australia is a hole and I would never want to

live there' would that view be any more valid than the view he has stated here?

I remember a few years ago reading a post on another forum (Can't remember who from) when

someone had posted that they 'Knew when they stepped off the plane' that "australia wasn't for us"

so does the fact that they made a decision based on a holiday invalidate their view? I don't think so,

and I also don't think that just because Jim has a view based on limited experience that necessarily makes his views any less valid.

Jim may move to Australia and in two years may be regretting it or he may settle quickly and think that it's the best thing he has ever done,everyone is different and everyone bases their views on

experiences,good and bad and whilst Jim may be slightly 'calling the result of the election before the

polls close' to use an analogy,he is,I'm sure,just calling it as he sees it based on his experiences so far.

I certainly agree with the idea that living in a country is very different to being there on holiday because when you are on holiday somewhere you are in "holiday mode" and may tend to view things through "holiday tinted glasses" so to speak but I do think that it's possible to get a 'feel" for a place fairly quickly and to know whether you would be happy living there.

Thanks for your post and Best wishes for your return to the UK,and your future.

Cheers

Jo.

Connie although I understand the point you are trying to make I think you may be being a bit hard on Jim,I agree that he is maybe making a judgement based

If he had returned to the UK and posted a comment like'Australia is a hole and I would never want to

I remember a few years ago reading a post on another forum (Can't remember who from) when

someone had posted that they 'Knew when they stepped off the plane' that "australia wasn't for us"

so does the fact that they made a decision based on a holiday invalidate their view? I don't think so,

and I also don't think that just because Jim has a view based on limited experience that necessarily makes his views any less valid.

Jim may move to Australia and in two years may be regretting it or he may settle quickly and think that it's the best thing he has ever done,everyone is different and everyone bases their views on

experiences,good and bad and whilst Jim may be slightly 'calling the result of the election before the

polls close' to use an analogy,he is,I'm sure,just calling it as he sees it based on his experiences so far.

I certainly agree with the idea that living in a country is very different to being there on holiday because when you are on holiday somewhere you are in "holiday mode" and may tend to view things through "holiday tinted glasses" so to speak but I do think that it's possible to get a 'feel" for a place fairly quickly and to know whether you would be happy living there.

Thanks for your post and Best wishes for your return to the UK,and your future.

Cheers

Jo.

Jo, Jim is basing his views on 2 trips to Australia and yes that is all he has to go on-and if he thinks it's the best place in the world to live based upon those holidays then that's up to him. But to tell people to stop bloody moaning and call in us all whingers I think is a bit much and not balanced at all.

You mention that you think my comments are being hard on Jim-I don't understand why that is- I have posted before to him that I really hope things work out for him and I really do.

I still wish him well:smile:

When I was moving here I had no interest in MBTTUK forums because of course they are going to be full of stories of where things haven't worked out for people and by their very nature negative. It's not the resposibility of the people MBTTUK to not be too negative (whingy)about Australia in case it offends a potential migrant.

Guest siamsusie

Cheers

Jo.

Also Jo, Jim and family spent some considerable time with Kevin (It could be worse) and without a doubt Kevin would have given the Balmforths the highs and lows of Australia.... Kevin & Bridget did it the tough way for a good many years.....I personally love his enthusiasm and energy and I am sure the last thing he wanted to do was to offend anyone... he is just blunt talking northener.:wubclub:Susie x

Guest guest36187

Connie, Please report threads that you feel inappropriate. As mods we will happily look at them However if noone reports them we dont always know whats out there. We dont have teh time to read every post every day. We rely on you guys to let us know!

Guest guest36187

Afternoon all,

This thread has now been closed and locked following discussion with the moderators. It was a very valid discussion and I thank all the posters for their contributions.

Archived