why come back to this sh-t hole?

Guest Count Zero

Guest guest17301

Come to think of it Mal, you'd have been great on Central Weekend Live, you may not have got that being from oooop north.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband gets this ALL the time! He is a 6th generation Australian (born Melbourne) so his family have lived there since 1875. He has migrated to the UK and been here almost 6 years now. When people ask where he is from and he tells them, they invariably say "Are you mad?" "You left AUSTRALIA to come and live in THIS place?"..all I can say is he misses family there but thats all he misses. We visited for two weeks last year and he wanted to come back to the UK after a week. He says he is fed up of countless days and months of waking up to nothing but constant heat and loves the changing seasons here. He hates the quiet "Stepford Wives" suburbs out there where you see nobody but the odd dogwalker and postie thru the day because everyones off to work or tha mall in their cars cos its too far to walk anywhere.

I guess it depends where in UK you live too, but as we live in beautiful Northumberland we're happy!:biggrin:

Guest guest17301
My husband gets this ALL the time! He is a 6th generation Australian (born Melbourne) so his family have lived there since 1875. He has migrated to the UK and been here almost 6 years now. When people ask where he is from and he tells them, they invariably say "Are you mad?" "You left AUSTRALIA to come and live in THIS place?"..all I can say is he misses family there but thats all he misses. We visited for two weeks last year and he wanted to come back to the UK after a week. He says he is fed up of countless days and months of waking up to nothing but constant heat and loves the changing seasons here. He hates the quiet "Stepford Wives" suburbs out there where you see nobody but the odd dogwalker and postie thru the day because everyones off to work or tha mall in their cars cos its too far to walk anywhere.

I guess it depends where in UK you live too, but as we live in beautiful Northumberland we're happy!:biggrin:

Familiarity breeds contempt..It's simple!!!!!!

Guest chris955

If the pub was anything like the ones we used to frequent they would be with me enjoying the atmosphere. :biggrin:

Just wondering what the wife and kids do while your sat in the nice cosy pub enjoying your real ale?

Guest chris955

What a warped mind you must have, my kids have a very good life thank you very much and if the worse they see is me drinking a pint of beer in a lovely old pub then they have done alright.

If you choose to be teetotal or not to drink any alcohol in front of your kids then good for you.

what a great life your kids must have, great lets watch dad drink beer:jiggy:

What a warped mind you must have, my kids have a very good life thank you very much and if the worse they see is me drinking a pint of beer in a lovely old pub then they have done alright.

If you choose to be teetotal or not to drink any alcohol in front of your kids then good for you.

poor bugger, now I understand why you love england so much!!!! your delusional big hugs mate :hug::hug::hug:

what a great life your kids must have, great lets watch dad drink beer:jiggy:

Oh my god:shocked:, that bloke takes his kids into the pub with him and they see him drinking beer, someone call social services, i am sure they can forget about the child rapist and kiddie beaters and concentrate on that nasty man who is taking his kids to the pub!

Oh my god:shocked:, that bloke takes his kids into the pub with him and they see him drinking beer, someone call social services, i am sure they can forget about the child rapist and kiddie beaters and concentrate on that nasty man who is taking his kids to the pub!

I was thinking about doing the same myself Andy, great minds and all that :wink:

Guest Guest37175
Jesus wept.... You saying no one drinks beer in Oz????

Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

I just wish they'd be a little more considerate and think of their english neighbour who's been up until 2 a.m. on P.I.O. during which time he managed to neck two cleanskins and three portions of green Thai curry!.

I wake up hung-over and disorientated every sunday morning to hear my neighbours shouting to each other:

"Morning mate!, beautiful day!."

"Yeah, beautiful mate!"

"How was your brekky?"

"Oh, beautiful mate....how was yours?"

"Beauty mate!"

"You watchin' the Iron Man today?"

"Arr, yeah, beautif......"

:arghh:

Guest siamsusie
Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

I just wish they'd be a little more considerate and think of their english neighbour who's been up until 2 a.m. on P.I.O. during which time he managed to neck two cleanskins and three portions of green Thai curry!.

I wake up hung-over and disorientated every sunday morning to hear my neighbours shouting to each other:

"Morning mate!, beautiful day!."

"Yeah, beautiful mate!"

"How was your brekky?"

"Oh, beautiful mate....how was yours?"

"Beauty mate!"

"You watchin' the Iron Man today?"

"Arr, yeah, beautif......"

:laugh::laugh: brilliant x

Guest lifeinmono
People keep asking me why I would choose to come back to this sh-t hole! This is odd because when I was in Australia people never asked me why I would move to Australia, they just assumed that the UK is indeed a sh-t hole so didn't need to ask my reason, either that or they just wern't interested maybe.

Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes - 100%. You are allowed to love Australia and prefer it to the UK but curiously you are not allowed to prefer the UK over Australia.

The big ''everybody knows that'' cliche is that Australia is ''God's country'' and clearly better than the UK in every conceivable way. It's largely a myth.

I have often noticed that when Aussies spend time in the UK on holiday or whilst travelling or visiting family it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for them to moan about things such as the busy roads and high streets or the price of petrol or the cold weather. They carry on like the American in Fawlty Towers: ''what do you get for living in a climate like this.......blah blah blah''. If, however, a British person finds any fault whatsoever with Australia he/she is INSTANTLY branded an unappreciative ''whinging pom'' with a bad attitude and told to shut-up immediately.

If that isn't a major double standard then I don't know what is.

The Aussies get huffy and defensive and annoyed when someone criticises their country yet they see no problem taking the piss out of other nations - ''kiwis, poms'' etc. Look at the recent Robin Williams thing.

Hypocrites, basically.

The expats here often don't help. They are happy with the idea that the UK is **** and Australia is great, so they try and ''put you down'' and dismiss you INSTANTLY when you claim that you prefer the UK cos they find it threatening to their little model of things in their minds.

The expats here often don't help. They are happy with the idea that the UK is **** and Australia is great, so they try and ''put you down'' and dismiss you INSTANTLY when you claim that you prefer the UK cos they find it threatening to their little model of things in their minds.

Isn't that what you're doing too ... trying to put others down because they don't prefer the UK to Aus as you do? Personally, I'm with the group that says ... be where it makes you happy ... there are a lot of us about who think that way ... I don't think people can be bothered to look for us though There's a myth that you have to love or hate either country when in fact you can love or hate both.

People keep asking me why I would choose to come back to this sh-t hole! This is odd because when I was in Australia people never asked me why I would move to Australia, they just assumed that the UK is indeed a sh-t hole so didn't need to ask my reason, either that or they just wern't interested maybe.

Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap.

Has anyone else noticed this?

may simply be "It is true" there doesn't have to be reason for everything.

It can't all be a sh*thole a quote from The Times today,

Trevor Phillips, head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, celebrates Britain today as “by far the best place to live in Europe if you are not white.

So for some it must be the best place on earth!

Guest olive

yes I agree most aussies think the uk is a s**t hole, but living in W.A alot of them have never been out of the state and prefer to travel round OZ, ok oz is a great Country but we have so much more history , culture etc in the uk , and I think we shound be proud of the UK instead of putting it down

Guest siamsusie

yes I agree most aussies think the uk is a s**t hole, but living in W.A alot of them have never been out of the state and prefer to travel round OZ, ok oz is a great Country but we have so much more history , culture etc in the uk , and I think we shound be proud of the UK instead of putting it down

A slight oxymoron there:wubclub: I have to say the Australians I am acquainted with have loved the Uk and europe, they fully appreciate the history (despite the fact they also have thousands of years of history as well)....With the current exchange rate Europe is exceptionally popular with the Aussies, thus enabling them to work and country hop with frequent ease......Australians have been wherever I have lived and worked abroad and to be frank I have never encountered whinging of any description only total appreciation at being given the chance of travel... many europeans never travel ...fact.... . when you say "most Aussies think the UK is a ****hole", that is quite unfounded in my opinion, on what is your poll based upon please? Personally for me I think the UK is a wonderful country, and I am always exceptionally proud to show it off to friends and family but after listening to BBC World Service this morning , interviewing the general public it seems to me a high proportion of people cannot be bothered to get off their back sides and vote..... apathy breeds apathy I am afraid.

Guest guest30038

I think if England had Australias weather it would seem so much better.

Dunna think so Paul. Then they'd whinge about the heat, the flies, the snakes and mosquitos, how brown everything is, the bill for their air con, they can't let their kids go outside for fear of skin cancer...............let's face it mate...............a whinger is a whinger wherever thay may be :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038
Why should it be such an unthinkable concept that Australia is (for some) simply a better country in which to live than the UK purely because of it's main attractions sun and sea?

Why overcomplicate and psycho-analyse it?

To emphasise how dull, boring, and uncultured we are :biglaugh:

kev

Archived