why come back to this sh-t hole?

Guest Count Zero

Guest guest30038

I have often noticed that when Aussies spend time in the UK on holiday or whilst travelling or visiting family it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for them to moan about things such as the busy roads and high streets or the price of petrol or the cold weather.

Oh!?????? Tell me how you do it? How do you get to meet these Aussies that are travelling or visiting families in the UK? How do you get priveliged acces to their conversations? How do you know it is ABSOLUTELY FINE for them to moan?

I met only 3 Aussies when I last spent a month touring the UK and all of them thought it was a wonderful place...............I must've been unlucky eh, not to be privvy to your stimulating conversations with them? :biglaugh:

All those Aussies working in London must hate the bloody place :biglaugh:

I'm gald you take yourself seriously, 'cause I for one don't :goofy:

kev

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I wont comment on the specifics of this but Kev you must admit that Aussies do consider it their God given right to criticise every country in the world often even if they have never been to them ? On the other hand they aren't good at taking criticism from others about their country. Just look at KRudd having to make a comment about Robin Williams.

i lived in london for 5yrs loved it even though i froze ran out of money for the electric meter,and the gas meter,communal bath 2tvchannels 2radio stations all bbc but thats the way it was then never whinged about it although it was a little bit backward compared to oz,you just get on with living

Guest guest30038
I wont comment on the specifics of this but Kev you must admit that Aussies do consider it their God given right to criticise every country in the world often even if they have never been to them ? On the other hand they aren't good at taking criticism from others about their country. Just look at KRudd having to make a comment about Robin Williams.

I don't have to admit to anything mate. My experiences are not neccessarily the experiences of others so I have an open mind..........so open in fact that I wonder how someone can judge a whole nationality based on their minimal experiences of that nationality as a whole.........be it aussies talking about the UK, or Poms talking about Aussies. Anyone with a closed mind would take the posters statements as gospel :rolleyes:

For any poster to attempt to portray that all individuals within any nationality are the same, is not only lucdicrous, but downright dishonest..............and..................here's that word again............racist. If you doubt that, look up the definition..........off the top of my head one of the definitions is to portray a whole race based on one's experiences of individuals.

FWIW, my experience of Aussies is that they genuinely love the Uk, in particular the English, and have a grudging respect for the country and it's citizens........irrespective of the "whinging pom" tag which is, in my experience, more often used as term of endearment as opposed to being critical.

That is my experience and may not be the experience of others. I do find it hardly credible though, that a poster can criticise Aussies as a whole, based on those, whom he expects us to believe he/she has met in another country, and infer that they are representative of australians as a whole.........contact must be minimal, unless we are enlightened as to how it not being so :rolleyes:

kev

Guest lifeinmono
I don't have to admit to anything mate. My experiences are not neccessarily the experiences of others so I have an open mind..........so open in fact that I wonder how someone can judge a whole nationality based on their minimal experiences of that nationality as a whole.........be it aussies talking about the UK, or Poms talking about Aussies. Anyone with a closed mind would take the posters statements as gospel :rolleyes:

For any poster to attempt to portray that all individuals within any nationality are the same, is not only lucdicrous, but downright dishonest..............and..................here's that word again............racist. If you doubt that, look up the definition..........off the top of my head one of the definitions is to portray a whole race based on one's experiences of individuals.

FWIW, my experience of Aussies is that they genuinely love the Uk, in particular the English, and have a grudging respect for the country and it's citizens........irrespective of the "whinging pom" tag which is, in my experience, more often used as term of endearment as opposed to being critical.

That is my experience and may not be the experience of others. I do find it hardly credible though, that a poster can criticise Aussies as a whole, based on those, whom he expects us to believe he/she has met in another country, and infer that they are representative of australians as a whole.........contact must be minimal, unless we are enlightened as to how it not being so :rolleyes:

kev

So, Kev, YOUR anecdotal experience is AUTOMATICALLY valid whereas MINE is AUTOMATICALLY invalid? Interesting assessment. Note that you poo poo my views as subjective and automatically crap whereas your experiences and judgements are not biased or subjective in any way.

What makes one person's subjective view ''better'' or ''fairer'' than another person's? Apart, of course, from the fact that you have a clinical aversion to anyone saying negative things about Australia or the Australians, for reasons best known to yourself.

Guest lifeinmono

Also, oh wise Kev who is always right and knows everything, ''racism'' refers to hatred of a person or group of people based on race.

Sorry, buddy, but modern Australians are simply part of a nation, not an individual, distinct ''race''. If I made remarks specific to the Greek community in Australia or the Italian community in Australia then, perhaps, you could use that term. But only then.

In the meantime, I'll expect an apology for your pompous dismissal of my subjective opinion in favour of your own equally subjective opinion and for your erroneous and inappropriate accusations of ''racism''.

Ta.

The issue ultimately is yours because it's plain that you do not like anyone who doesn't like Australia. As far as you are concerned, they are automatically wrong to hold their view and must be treated with scorn. You love your adopted home and you simply are not going to let anyone run it down in any way at all. Sadly, you've failed to allow for the fact that people are, believe it or not, allowed to find fault with Australia and prefer the UK. The fact that that upsets you is not relevant.

Guest guest36187

Play nicely please. First and last warning.

ALL your thoughts and ideas are valid. You may not agree with the other persons views but respect them. Dont put them down.

yes I agree most aussies think the uk is a s**t hole, but living in W.A alot of them have never been out of the state and prefer to travel round OZ, ok oz is a great Country but we have so much more history , culture etc in the uk , and I think we shound be proud of the UK instead of putting it down

That would make them worse than the Yanks then! At least I would rather be in Oz than the US.

Guys if you think the Aussies are bad you havnt come accross many Kiwis they are priceless

Poms are the worst abroad!! Oh I am in Spain the fish n' chips are horrible, no matter where they go in the world they bloody well whinge if it's not like Jerusalem [sic] sorry England.

Some of the posts on here how they whinge I think they would be better off being where they are. I think it is not the country, or state, or town ,or village, it is them!!

Some come for a few months and gather a lifetimes experience in our country, then go back to UK or elsewhere and convince folk with their honesty how bad things are in Australia Telling it how it is ! C*AP

Things are OK at the moment here but in the future it could change for the worse, but it will still be better than a lot of countries!

:arghh:

Guest guest36187

Ok, we have cleared some posts from this thread following moderator discussion and a couple of others have been removed as they are `out of context` now.

Can we please show some respect to the OP.

Thank you

Guest guest30038
no. racism refers to race. not nationality.

idiot.

The last word speaks volumes :rolleyes:

OK, you obvioulsy didn't consult other dictionaries or documents analysing "racism"

According to UN International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination, "the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, color, descent, or national or ethnic origin

Broadly, (2000) provides a more encompassing definition that covers racism together with other forms of domination expressed through the manifestations of heterophobia. Racism is then defined as the aggressiveness, domination, fear and hate based on imagined or real difference based on gender, gender preference, age, ethnicity, religious affiliation, and other differences. This definition provides a broader perspective able to encompass the varying manifestations and causes of racism in different socio-cultural intra and inter-group settings. This constitutes a better definition because it transcends the view relying only on biological differences as an explanation of racism.

cultural racism, which pertains to the expression of superiority of cultural heritage by an individual or institution over other groups with a different culture.

Guest guest36187

Ok, for the 3rd time..................

Lets respect the OP

People keep asking me why I would choose to come back to this sh-t hole! This is odd because when I was in Australia people never asked me why I would move to Australia, they just assumed that the UK is indeed a sh-t hole so didn't need to ask my reason, either that or they just wern't interested maybe.

Anyway my point is that Aussies in general seem to have a perception that Australia is the best place in the world and most people I seem to meet in the UK seem to think the UK is crap.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Guest guest30038
Ok, for the 3rd time..................

Lets respect the OP

Unfortunately,in any thread, there could be statements made that need to be counteracted. If an individual sticks rigidly to the OP's intent/ statement, when another individual doesn't, and the latter individual states as "fact" that his opinion, based on his limited experience of some Australians, tars a whole nation with the same brush, then his opinion goes unchallenged.

The OP has a right, yes, to expect his original post to be addressed, but likewise, other posters should surely have the right to address any statements from other psoters in that thread that they judge either as suspect or downright lies?

And yes...............I know moderators have a difficult job..............but so do some members trying to counteract the sweeping generalisations that some posters make :biggrin:

But back to the OP. Many Aussies that I've met do think their country is the best place in the world (not all of 'em though)............because they're proud of it.

Many Brits that I've met think the UK is crap, but I wouldn't know if they're the majority............Who knows, if they're that dissatisfied, then perhaps there's no pleasing 'em anyway, but my personall assessment is they feel that way because they no longer have pride in their country.

kev

Tell them it's none of their business what life choices you make.

Agreed Ali, and I think that people who say the UK is a shi7hole says more about the person than it does about the UK. As someone who has travelled much, there's no way for me that the UK comes anywhere near being that way. Maybe some people think life is shi7 and they have to blame the place where they live for that, they should get a life - after all you only get one.

Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

I just wish they'd be a little more considerate and think of their english neighbour who's been up until 2 a.m. on P.I.O. during which time he managed to neck two cleanskins and three portions of green Thai curry!.

I wake up hung-over and disorientated every sunday morning to hear my neighbours shouting to each other:

"Morning mate!, beautiful day!."

"Yeah, beautiful mate!"

"How was your brekky?"

"Oh, beautiful mate....how was yours?"

"Beauty mate!"

"You watchin' the Iron Man today?"

"Arr, yeah, beautif......"

I really did LOL at that

Tell them it's none of their business what life choices you make.

I totally agree Ali...I have thought long and hard about what we will say to people when they ask us why we moved back and your right its none of anyones business....I get lots of comments on Facebook from people who have heard we are moving back....people who have never lived in another town let alone another country on why would we move back..."do we realise how cold it is"....never your joking we only lived their for 30 years of course we know how cold it is....again as someone previously said nowt as queer as folk!!

Course they don't. They're all lycra-clad gym-bunnies in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up at 5:00 a.m. for a bowl of industrial strength bran flakes and a micro-biotic yoghurt before power-walking down to the beach for this weeks Iron Man / Woman competition.

I just wish they'd be a little more considerate and think of their english neighbour who's been up until 2 a.m. on P.I.O. during which time he managed to neck two cleanskins and three portions of green Thai curry!.

I wake up hung-over and disorientated every sunday morning to hear my neighbours shouting to each other:

"Morning mate!, beautiful day!."

"Yeah, beautiful mate!"

"How was your brekky?"

"Oh, beautiful mate....how was yours?"

"Beauty mate!"

"You watchin' the Iron Man today?"

"Arr, yeah, beautif......"

I was once the "English Neighbour" but now sound more like the guys who get up at 5:00 for the ironman. My weekend was Saturday down the beach at 7:00 where a bunch of us paddle surf skis to a boat harbour about 6Kms away and have coffee and breakfast. Home by about 10:00.

Sunday local Triathlon with a few mates from the surf club. Meet at 6:45. Start Tri about 8:30.

And this is now Autumn when it's a bit too dark in the mornings to do any serious training. I still like a beer though.

I didn't come here expecting Australia and Aussies to change to adapt to my lifestyle. I love life here and couldn't picture being back in the UK. I would probably be a 20 stone darts player. I used to love a game of darts.

Guest lifeinmono
I was once the "English Neighbour" but now sound more like the guys who get up at 5:00 for the ironman. My weekend was Saturday down the beach at 7:00 where a bunch of us paddle surf skis to a boat harbour about 6Kms away and have coffee and breakfast. Home by about 10:00.

Sunday local Triathlon with a few mates from the surf club. Meet at 6:45. Start Tri about 8:30.

And this is now Autumn when it's a bit too dark in the mornings to do any serious training. I still like a beer though.

I didn't come here expecting Australia and Aussies to change to adapt to my lifestyle. I love life here and couldn't picture being back in the UK. I would probably be a 20 stone darts player. I used to love a game of darts.

The inference being that life in the UK automatically = fat and unhealthy whereas life in Australia automatically = healthy and bronzed like a Greek God?

Interesting theory.

Guest chris955

Interesting that Australia recently overtook America as the worlds fattest nation but don't let facts get in the way of your bias :wink:

Guest chris955

Yes you would think that all Aussies were fit, active tanned slaves to the gym and Brits were all fish and chip eating pasty white slobs.

The facts show a different story though but I'm sure people will choose to ignore the facts.

Australia world's fattest nation, U.S. 2nd › Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

The inference being that life in the UK automatically = fat and unhealthy whereas life in Australia automatically = healthy and bronzed like a Greek God?

Interesting theory.

Archived