Guest guest36187

1 minute ago, Kath said:

Hi Alan

How long does it take to be granted we have told about  week is this correct

Kath

Yes, Bridging Visa As are usually granted within a couple of business days of an onshore parent visa application being lodged.

As I said though, the granting of a BV doesn't mean you can work straightaway.

You have to wait until the BV is in effect.

Best regards.

5 minutes ago, Kath said:

Hi Alan,

We do have a migration agent, but have been let down with him in the past through not getting the correct information, so thought I would try this Forum to see if any other options are available to us

Kath

I must be mindful of professional ethics here.

If you have an agent acting for you I can only be generic in my comments.

Best regards.

Is our CPV really worth $100k?

I’m just starting to become concerned about the true value of a 143 visa compared to the much cheaper 103. Contributory parent visas are supposed to be a ‘Fast Track’ option for parents who are able to make a significant contribution to the Treasurer of Australia. But it’s starting to look like this is no longer a faster option, and the queue for non-contributory parent visas maybe a superior option for new applicants.

Looking back at ‘test email’ processing times, I have created the chart below.

1772783406_ParentVisaQueue.png.e0ec16e5e088a2e595f1616ff2fc53f7.png

You can see how the 103 visa queue has moved forward 334 days in the last year, when the 143/173 queue has only progressed by 161 days. Which is about twice as fast (and 8 time faster in the last 6 months).

There are fewer applicants in the 103 queue, but when you consider the cap is only 1500 places per year (as apposed to 7175 for 143’s) this is a startling difference in queue movement. 

One other advantage of the 103 visa, is the option to switch to the 143 queue without penalty in queuing time. So you can hedge you bets this way, although you will have to pay a new 1st VAC.

Currently Home Affairs website warns of a 30 year wait for the 103 visa and only 49/55 months for the 143. So clearly this influences families into thinking the only practical choice is the Contributory parent visas. But these website statements aren’t true and it’s really now inclining to be around 8 years processing for new applicants in both visas steams. And this could swing further in the next few years.

Also, from this chart you can see how it’s taken approximately 2 years to process 1 year of the 143/173 queue. So using this ratio (2:1) you can roughly calculate how long it will take to reach your own lodgement date.  (I.e. My lodgement date is March 2016 and immi is now processing to May 2015. So that’s 10 months away, then x2, I get 20 months. So I should expect immi to start processing my application in April 2020)

Edited by SusieRoo

We applied for the 103 early in 2015. It took about 15 months to be added to the queue and we have been in the queue just over two years. If the queue continues to go down at the current rate we will wait another 9 to 10 years so in total from lodgement about 13 years (no guarantee it will continue to go down at the current rate). So significantly longer than the people who were queued in 2010 who waited 8 years plus a few months to be queued before getting their visas finalised. This is because many more people have opted for the 103 by the time we applied than in 2009/10. People applying now for the 103 wait over 2 years to even get a queue date. It all depends on the number of people who apply for 143 or 103, the number of visas allocated each year and the number of drop outs which naturally increase the longer the wait. Personally I think 143's will still be a significantly shorter wait than a 103 if lodged on the same date it just doesn't feel like it! Immigration can manipulate it by changing the number of visas granted in each category so I doubt they will allow 103's to catch up with 143's as that would cause uproar and affect their income stream.

It could all change anyway! The following recommendation was taken from a report from April 2016 called the Migrant intake into Australia,  a productivity commission enquiry report for the Australian govt. 

their recommendation for family visas was......

Family reunion — re-evaluating parent visas
   Reflecting their average older age and lower labour market engagement, the parent visa stream makes considerable demands on Australia’s health, aged care and social security system, while not making many fiscal contributions through taxes paid. The contributory parent visa charge recognises the high expected net fiscal costs of parents. However, at its current level, it is only a small portion of these expected costs. Accordingly, most of the costs must be borne by the community as a whole, whereas many of the benefits accrue to the sponsors and the parents themselves.
  FINDING 13.2
  RECOMMENDATION 13.8
The Australian Government should amend arrangements for permanent parent visa applicants. In the short term, it should:
• increase substantially the charge for contributory parent visas
• narrow eligibility to non-contributory parent visas to cases where there are strong compassionate grounds to do so, accompanied by clear published criteria to limit applications for such visas
• consider lowering the caps for contributory parent visas
• introduce a more flexible temporary parent visa that would provide longer rights of residence, but with requirements, as for other temporary visas, that the parents or sponsoring child would meet the costs of any income or health supports during the period of residence.
The Australian Government should retain current arrangements for family reunions involving partners or children.

The last one was obviously the temporary 3-5 year parent visa which isn’t  yet available despite being announced in 2017.  

How many (if any)  recommendations would be retrospective if they were eventually  accepted  is anyone’s guess!  New Zealand closed their parent visas nearly 2 years ago I think  due to the same problems but prior to that I understand that applicants  had to show how well off they were financially and no dependant children were allowed  

If anyone is interested in reading the full report (731 pages!) it’s here http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report/migrant-intake-report.pdf

I just wish immi were more transparent with what’s happening with processing times as it’s unfair on applicants to expect the advertised processing dates which are now lengthening by the day but then again they are getting and keeping the money from the first vacs! 

47 minutes ago, Ruth7862 said:

Changes, especially retrospective ones,  are a worry but we have to keep positive and hope for the best. It is all we can do really.

My husband has always he doesn’t think we’ll get our visas and until he has it in his hand and gets through immigration he won’t believe it!

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it was possible to switch from 143 to 864 since my parents now qualify for it and the queue is shorter, is there a way to switch to 864? (while preserving your position or perhaps the day you qualified for it?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zetta said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it was possible to switch from 143 to 864 since my parents now qualify for it and the queue is shorter, is there a way to switch to 864? (while preserving your position or perhaps the day you qualified for it?)

You can switch to 864 but  you have to withdraw  your 143 application,  pay a new  first vac and most importantly you start with a new lodgement date so your parents would start again from a much later lodgement date. It doesn’t appear to be  faster any more. There’s been no movement for months and if you go back a few posts Alan Collett posted a reply from PVC which implied processing times for 864 are likely to be aligned with those of 143  

There have also been some articles recently written in Australia  about immigration and apparently they say there are too many people there on bridging  visas 

I think all any of us can do is just be patient and get on with our lives and hope one day to be reunited with our families. IF Australia wants bright young immigrants to work to pay its taxes and develop  the country etc they have to accept that some will want their parents with them too - those parents who contributed to the upbringing and education of those bright young immigrants.! 

• Like 3

Hi all, new on here although I've been following the thread regarding the length of time the AOS acknowledgement letter is taking. For your info, our daughter posted the bond on 29th June and we are now just going into the 7th week of waiting. She has called and basically been told that it is being processed.....  our timeline is:

PV 143 lodgement date 21/5/2015

Acknowledgement date 25/5/2015

AOS, Medicals, Form 80, and police checks, requested 22/1/2018

Medicals done 27/4/18

Police checks and Form 80 submitted 1/3/2018

AOS applied for 6/2/2018 

AOS phone interview 24/6/2018

AOS bond paid to bank 29/6/2018

AOS acceptance letter received ?

Request for 2nd Vac payment ? 

Visa granted ? 

10 hours ago, Soos24 said:

Hi all, new on here although I've been following the thread regarding the length of time the AOS acknowledgement letter is taking. For your info, our daughter posted the bond on 29th June and we are now just going into the 7th week of waiting. She has called and basically been told that it is being processed.....  our timeline is:

PV 143 lodgement date 21/5/2015

Acknowledgement date 25/5/2015

AOS, Medicals, Form 80, and police checks, requested 22/1/2018

Medicals done 27/4/18

Police checks and Form 80 submitted 1/3/2018

AOS applied for 6/2/2018 

AOS phone interview 24/6/2018

AOS bond paid to bank 29/6/2018

AOS acceptance letter received ?

Request for 2nd Vac payment ? 

Visa granted ? 

Hi AOS Applied date  6/2/2018   and Meds done 27/04/2018  they don't seem right ?

On 12/08/2018 at 01:22, Tulip1 said:

Yes she would need international medical insurance that would cover everything, that won't be cheap at aged 80. 

On 11/08/2018 at 23:23, Tulip1 said:

I think the deportation bit was about when she gets to the front of the queue for actual visa she will have to have a medical. If she fails that then she would face going back to the uk as she would be denied the PR and therefore would no longer have a bridging visa. 

OP, does your mum really want to up sticks and relocate at the old age of 80?  I can't imagine many would.

Yes she would need full medical insurance. Bupa have an Overseas Visitors policy and have quoted me $187 pcm for Basic Hospital and Your Choice Extras, which is pretty good in my opinion. There is no limit on age for this cover, so even if she is on the BV for 5 years or so, that is definitely affordable.

And yes, there are many 80 years old who would like nothing more to be with their families in their twilight years, rather than being all alone back in the UK!

Plus for the people who mentioned that she would not be eligible to the NHS if she's been in Aus for a couple of years and needs to go back to the UK, I found this on www.gov.uk, so I'm a bit confused as why she wouldn't be eligible - 

Returning to the UK to settle

Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

• Like 1