Guest guest36187

I am longing to join my family in Queensland. I am 58 and a recent widow. I was looking at the non contributary application but just seen that it can take many, many years. I dont have enough money for the contributory visa. But what is this onshore thing?

If I do complete the application for non contributary visa can I also do the on shore thing?

HELP!!!

I am longing to join my family in Queensland. I am 58 and a recent widow. I was looking at the non contributary application but just seen that it can take many, many years. I dont have enough money for the contributory visa. But what is this onshore thing?

If I do complete the application for non contributary visa can I also do the on shore thing?

HELP!!!

The Onshore Parent Visa - is an Aged Parent Visa, and you would need to be 65 to be eligible.

There is no onshore equivalent to the offshore visa.

Would be worth looking at the longer tourist visa for Parents - while you are waiting for the Parent Visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/parents-longer-tourist-visa.htm

Guest Petina

Yes, so many mixed emotions and decisions and you are not alone!! Finances are a big issue as we don't want to find ourselves short! At least the rate of exchange is getting better but the cost of the visa $42,000 each, and then there is a bond to pay ($14,000 which is returned after ten years). This does not include the cost of the visa application, medical s and the move!!

Hi Cheryll

Yes its difficult. We decided to go with the non-contributory visa earlier this year, because I have a very elderly mother in the UK so am not in a position to leave just now anyway. The non-contributory visa costs about $2000 on application. We transferred the money to our daughter and got her to pay it, to get the best possible exchange rate. Your sponsoring child will have papers to fill in, so its easier to fill in your papers (you can download from the oz gov. website) and then send them to your family in Queensland. They can then download their papers, fill them in and send the whole lot to Perth. It took about 8 weeks for us to get confirmation of the receipt of our application, together with a file number. I'm told you get a queue number after about two years, and at that point you can see how many people are ahead of you, if you have the stomach for it. On the plus side, if you change your application to a contributing parent visa at a later date, I've been told they fast track you if you, although you do have to pay the initial charge again.

In our case, we believe we will probably never get a PR visa as my husband has health problems already, but we have thrown our hats in the ring anyway. The thing to remember is that the longer you wait, the more likely your health is to deteriorate.

If you want to go back and forth, you can stay up to a year at a time. During the periods in Australia you have to pay private health insurance of course.

When (think positively) you eventually get permanent residence in Australia, you should know that your UK state pension will be frozen. That is, you won't get any of the cost of living increases awarded after you leave the UK.

Well if you're still game after all that depressing expensive news, welcome to the site :biggrin:

Theoretically, I suppose you could, once you reach (65?) and are old enough to be 'aged' you could go to Australia on a long holiday, decide that you wanted to stay when you got there, apply for an onshore aged parent's visa and then ask for a bridging visa to fill the ten years (ish) gap while you waited for your aged parent's visa to come through. Costs there would be private health insurance and frozen state pension too I think. Not sure if you would be allowed to work but I don't think so.

Edited by Fisher1

:rolleyes:Ok I have decided to get the that extremely long Queue and keep my fingers crossed that I am still alive and kicking at the end of it. I am going to work my way through the application form and as I am easily confused, I shall be on her a lot asking what may seem silly questions. So here goes folks. x

Ok just thought of a question. My husband has very recently passed away. Do I have to include my step children (Aged 49 and 40) on the application form? I have been told by someone that they do not have to be included. Thank you

As far as I know they do count....and they will affect the balance of family test

Finally my Operation scheduled for tomorrow (Friday 26th) then got a phone call today Consultant has had an accident hurt his foot so Op's been cancelled.............Wasn't looking forward to it but I have to have it done........devastated :cry:

Phoebe

Finally my Operation scheduled for tomorrow (Friday 26th) then got a phone call today Consultant has had an accident hurt his foot so Op's been cancelled.............Wasn't looking forward to it but I have to have it done........devastated :cry:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, hope the op is rescheduled soon. We'll be thinking of you....♥♥

Hi all, we are currently still waiting for our uk house to sell before we can head to Brisbane.....does anyone already there know if cpv143 visa holders are entitled to buy a business or become self employed more or less on arrival?

:err:cheers, Val x

Guest Petina

Hi Maisie's,

we are thinking of going for the cpv and just working through all the expenses etc. did you go through an agency or do it yourself?

Edited by Petina

Hi,

has anyone applied for the CPV through an agent?

Hi

Yes we did BUT she was very ill around the time we expected our CO and we couldn't contact her for months which was very worrying. If you are choosing an agent then try to find a firm with a few agents not a "one man band". If your circumstances are not complicated then its really only form filling and there is always lots of help and advice on here.

Good luck, Val

Hi Cheryll

I wouldn't give up that easily if I were you. I think the step-children situation is quite complicated, and would look into it carefully. I remember when we filled in our forms being astonished at the family detail they wanted - my daughter's de facto partner in Sydney had to list her immediate family (in Sydney) on our daughter's sponsor form.

However, I wonder if the situation with your step children is affected by the fact that your husband has, sadly, recently died ... If I were you, I'd try to get a proper opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about. I wonder whether migration agents will give one off bits of advice for a reasonable fee - like solicitors? There's a really good chap who comes on here called Alan Collet - perhaps he could tell you.

Hi,

has anyone applied for the CPV through an agent?

Hi

We did it ourselves it was pretty straight forward but lots of form filling. It depends on how confidant you are I suppose.

My daughter went through an agent, she said they didnt want to risk making any mistakes and that method worked for them.

Why not have a look through the forms but get a couple of quotes from agents then you can decide

Good Luck :wink:

Phoebe

Guest Petina

:tongue:

Hi

We did it ourselves it was pretty straight forward but lots of form filling. It depends on how confidant you are I suppose.

My daughter went through an agent, she said they didnt want to risk making any mistakes and that method worked for them.

Why not have a look through the forms but get a couple of quotes from agents then you can decide

Good Luck :wink:

Phoebe