Guest guest36187

Hi Deejee,

I've been living here since September and our situation is slightly different as we both work. However, I find that by shopping around, things are not quite so expensive as we first expected them to be. This includes food as well as medication. I take tablets for microvascular angina every day and took my script to quite a few chemists. I now buy a months supply for $15 despite being quoted up to $30 for exactly the same capsules. I have to see the Dr every 6 months and the out of pocket cost for this is approx $35 a visit under Medicare. that gives me approx 15 minutes with him and is much more relaxed than the appointments I had in UK which were in and out with a full to overflowing surgery. Blood tests and X-rays have been free too.

If I can help with any other questions, feel free to ask. Yes, this can be an expensive, lengthy old process but I don't regret a single penny so far. Seeing the grandchildren and our daughter regularly and feeling the sun on my back is priceless!

Kim

Hi All

I have been a member for quite sometime and after reading through all the posts several times on this thread and realising what nice friendly and helpful people you all are I have finally plucked up courage to participate and post some questions to you.

My hubby and I are both 66, retired and drawing full state pensions and a small work pension each. Our only son went out to Australia in 2009 on a student visa, returned home after a year then within a couple of months went back, again on a student visa. Whilst there he met the girl of his dreams and moved in with her. Both of them then came over to England and lived with us for 10 months during which time he applied for a De Facto visa, they went back to Australia, he on a tourist visa, until his tempory DF visa was granted, he just popped over to New Zealand to collect it. That was in March 2012, and hopefully his permanent residency will be granted in October this year.

We have visited Oz several times over the years, and now that our Son is looking to live there permanently, I would dearly like to be there as well, we have no siblings and both sets of parents are dead, so apart from very good friends, we have no ties in the Uk. But I have one big problem, my OH doesn't think we could afford to live there on our pensions, we would have very little left By the time we have paid for a PCV etc, even after selling our house, also we are both on meds for high blood pressure and Hubby is also on Warfarin he seems to think that private health care and meds would bo cost prohibitive and also we would probably have to find somewhere to rent as our son and partner are sharing a house with his partners sister.

Just wondered if any one on the forum were in a similar situation financially and health wise and if they were managing to make ends meet.

Cheers Deejee

You should also be aware that your UK state pensions will be frozen at the date when you become Australian residents. As all your pensions are from the UK, you will also be at the mercy of the exchange rate, which can go up or down. We have been here 2 years now and are finding it very expensive. Australia is an expensive country.

If it's any help a recent report by Seniors (our equivalent of pensioners) organisation suggested that, assuming a couple owned their own house they would need an annual income of $31,689 for a basic life style and $56,339 for comfortable lifestyle.

Hi All

My partner and I are trying to get a PR visa at this present time and fingers crossed there should be very few problems according to our agent (Go Matilda). My partner is an only child and we have just had our first (and last) child, so she is an only Grandchild on her mothers side.

Would my partners parent be able to apply for Parental visas? What are the estimated costs? And what medicals would they have to complete? Is there anything that would exclude them from getting a visa in the medicals?

Regards

First of all your partner would need to be settled in Australia in order to sponsor their parent for a visa - this is usually a period of 2 years.

You should probably start by looking at Booklet 3:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

This will give you an overview of the different parent visas.

However there are only 2 or 3 choices. There is the normal parent visa 103 which is low cost, but there is around a 15 year waiting list for this.

Most parents go for the Contributory Parent Visa 143 (or the 173 temporary and then the 143 to split the cost). Waiting time is around 12-18 months but as others have said it is expensive. Most people sell their houses to raise the money.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

The above are offshore visas. You have not said how old your parents are. One of them would need to be over 65 to apply for the 804 (the onshore version of the 103.) The waiting time for this is currently about 7-8 years I believe and parents are given a bridging visa to stay in Oz till their visa is granted. However, they would only be entitled to limited Medicare and if they fail the medical after the 7 years, their visa would not be granted. They may have a no further stay condition on their visitor visa which would prevent them from applying for another visa and it is not strictly legal to travel to Oz with the intention of staying there.

As already mentioned there is now an extended visitor visa for parents of permanent residents which allows stays of up to 12 months in any 18 month period.

The costs are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

With regard to the medical, they normally look for things which are going to cost the Australian government a lot of money. Most parents however, have some minor issues.

Edited by Linday

A quick note to say (as I always do at this time of year) that those who are contemplating lodging a Contributory Parent visa application should do so on or before the 30th of June to lock into the current Visa Application Charges: the second (and main) VAC is based on the scale of VACs payable when the visa application is lodged with DIAC.

The 2nd VAC for CP visa applications tends to increase by at least a couple of $'000 per applicant each year - it started at $25k when the visa was first introduced some 7 or 8 years ago. We're now at $42,220 per applicant.

To lodge a valid CP visa application all you need do is lodge forms 47PA and 40, and pay the first VAC.

For those contemplating lodging an application in time to lock in at the current scale of Charges, a migration agent's fee will probably be less than the anticipated increase in the 2nd VAC.

Best regards.

Thank you Linday, yes I was aware that our pensions would be frozen, my OH keeps reminding me of this all the time!! It was helpful to know about the Seniors report, it has certainly given me something to think about, but I am not giving up hope yet.

Hi Deejee,

I've been living here since September and our situation is slightly different as we both work. However, I find that by shopping around, things are not quite so expensive as we first expected them to be. This includes food as well as medication. I take tablets for microvascular angina every day and took my script to quite a few chemists. I now buy a months supply for $15 despite being quoted up to $30 for exactly the same capsules. I have to see the Dr every 6 months and the out of pocket cost for this is approx $35 a visit under Medicare. that gives me approx 15 minutes with him and is much more relaxed than the appointments I had in UK which were in and out with a full to overflowing surgery. Blood tests and X-rays have been free too.

If I can help with any other questions, feel free to ask. Yes, this can be an expensive, lengthy old process but I don't regret a single penny so far. Seeing the grandchildren and our daughter regularly and feeling the sun on my back is priceless!

Kim

Hi Kim

Thank you, I found your reply very encouraging, I have no more questions at the moment but it's nice to know that I can ask if need be.

cheers DeeJee

Guest guest72525

Australia is also a country of massive sales, so if you are retired and have the time to look for good deals with groceries, visit markets or fruit and veg shops, medicines, clothes etc, I think you can live much more cheaply. Also you can have a good quality of life by enjoying the many free concerts and community events, rather than the paying events.

Hi I'm new on here just have a quick question

My partner and I are Australian Citizens have lived there since 2005, but for the last 18 months have been back in UK caring for family. We will be returning to Oz September for good and would like to bring my mother over who is newly widowed.

She is 61 so will have to apply for the CPV, will we have a problem because we have been out of the country for 18 months e.g. settled / sponser ?

hi all we applied cpv feb 2012 and we recieved mail from co 18 aprile 2013 co ask for med and aos and other documents we done medical on 24-4-2013 and all document submit on 15-5-2013 and our aos approved date is 28-5-2013 still we are waiting for 2nd visa payment when they ask for it can anybody tell us we are in tension plz tell any body

thanx jagvir

Guest piramida
hi all we applied cpv feb 2012 and we recieved mail from co 18 aprile 2013 co ask for med and aos and other documents we done medical on 24-4-2013 and all document submit on 15-5-2013 and our aos approved date is 28-5-2013 still we are waiting for 2nd visa payment when they ask for it can anybody tell us we are in tension plz tell any body

thanx jagvir

Hi jagvir,

We applied cpv Dec 2011, Co ask for med in Feb 2013, we made Medical exam 18. Feb, and we still waiting for 2nd visa payment. We ask two, three times our CO about our case and he said we have to wait till doctor check our Med.He told us that they get our Medical in March. I know how you feel, we are so nervous, and every day is worst. But same of parents get early then me. Good luck

Hi jagvir,

We applied cpv Dec 2011, Co ask for med in Feb 2013, we made Medical exam 18. Feb, and we still waiting for 2nd visa payment. We ask two, three times our CO about our case and he said we have to wait till doctor check our Med.He told us that they get our Medical in March. I know how you feel, we are so nervous, and every day is worst. But same of parents get early then me. Good luck

hi piramida first thanx for your reply its very hard to wait in this time can you please tell about the your aos date

Guest piramida
hi piramida first thanx for your reply its very hard to wait in this time can you please tell about the your aos date

I do not have to pay this time aos because my subclass is 173. I understand you very very well how you feel. Every day I am crazy from the morning. I just not understand why somebody get visa very quickly, but somebody waiting very long. This moment we do not know what going on. Last time my CO said that he will send email to doctor to ask about our case, and he did not send email back to me. Then my son send mail to him and said that he got citizenship, and he did not answer. I am little confuse and I do not know what to do now.

Lepa

I do not have to pay this time aos because my subclass is 173. I understand you very very well how you feel. Every day I am crazy from the morning. I just not understand why somebody get visa very quickly, but somebody waiting very long. This moment we do not know what going on. Last time my CO said that he will send email to doctor to ask about our case, and he did not send email back to me. Then my son send mail to him and said that he got citizenship, and he did not answer. I am little confuse and I do not know what to do now.

Lepa

dnt know what happen but every minute is like an hour

Guest piramida

Hello,

Please any help. Next mount will be exactly 18 mount from Acknowledged Date 19. January 2012. Does anybody knows how long time is maximum time for waiting Parent visa subclass 173. Do they finish with all aplicant and of financial year or not. Do anybody waiting longer then 18 mount. Thank you very much

A quick note to say (as I always do at this time of year) that those who are contemplating lodging a Contributory Parent visa application should do so on or before the 30th of June to lock into the current Visa Application Charges: the second (and main) VAC is based on the scale of VACs payable when the visa application is lodged with DIAC.

The 2nd VAC for CP visa applications tends to increase by at least a couple of $'000 per applicant each year - it started at $25k when the visa was first introduced some 7 or 8 years ago. We're now at $42,220 per applicant.

To lodge a valid CP visa application all you need do is lodge forms 47PA and 40, and pay the first VAC.

For those contemplating lodging an application in time to lock in at the current scale of Charges, a migration agent's fee will probably be less than the anticipated increase in the 2nd VAC.

Best regards.

oohh thanks for that,so does it have to be acknowledged by them on or before that date? or be sent by courier on or before that date?

thanks

tab

Hi Deejee. yes we were in a similar situation as yourself. we have been living in Sydney for over two years now. I can honestly say it is the best move

we have ever made. We both have a uk state pension and i have a small NHS work pension. I am 64 and my hubby is 70. He has a Partime job packing shelfs in woolworths its only a couple of hours a week

I work two days a week. We have bought a furnished one bedded unit For $300,000. In Crows nest which is a very good area. We have a bulkbilled doctor and it goes straight to medicare, so we dont pay anything. Medication after 2 years for a script (if you are 65 or over) is $5.90. Before that we used generic medication. We have a great life we are carefull with our money. We dont have a car, as the transport system is great, we can travel all day by rail bus or ferry for $2.50 a day. You will get a seniors card shortly after you arrive, we use this for our travelling we get coffee cheaper ect. We have also had some very cheap holidays curtesy of scoopon voucher. so living in Australia can be as expensive as you want to make it. There are loads of things you can do that is free, you have the sunshine, and i have my gorgeous 4 grandchildren that i see almost every day. Our quality of life and our health is so much better here. Deejee we also started with the 103 visa and then changed to cpv. Best of luck in your decision, i know it is very hard, I even had 1 of my daughters telling me how we would never manage in oz, and all the other scare stories. All i can say is it has worked for us, and we are living the dream with our children and grandchildren. Best wishes Phyllis

Hi Deejee. yes we were in a similar situation as yourself. we have been living in Sydney for over two years now. I can honestly say it is the best move

we have ever made. We both have a uk state pension and i have a small NHS work pension. I am 64 and my hubby is 70. He has a Partime job packing shelfs in woolworths its only a couple of hours a week

I work two days a week. We have bought a furnished one bedded unit For $300,000. In Crows nest which is a very good area. We have a bulkbilled doctor and it goes straight to medicare, so we dont pay anything. Medication after 2 years for a script (if you are 65 or over) is $5.90. Before that we used generic medication. We have a great life we are carefull with our money. We dont have a car, as the transport system is great, we can travel all day by rail bus or ferry for $2.50 a day. You will get a seniors card shortly after you arrive, we use this for our travelling we get coffee cheaper ect. We have also had some very cheap holidays curtesy of scoopon voucher. so living in Australia can be as expensive as you want to make it. There are loads of things you can do that is free, you have the sunshine, and i have my gorgeous 4 grandchildren that i see almost every day. Our quality of life and our health is so much better here. Deejee we also started with the 103 visa and then changed to cpv. Best of luck in your decision, i know it is very hard, I even had 1 of my daughters telling me how we would never manage in oz, and all the other scare stories. All i can say is it has worked for us, and we are living the dream with our children and grandchildren. Best wishes Phyllis

Thanks for your lovely post, it has boosted my moral and given me some hope. I still believe that where there's a will there's a way. I know this may sound like a silly question but is the $5.90 for each item on a script or all the meds? Regards Deejee

Hi Deejee there are no silly questioned on here. Everthing I did to get here

i learned from PIO. I would have been lost without it. The $5.90 is for each item.

But here that is a massive saving. Good luck and I am happy to answer any questions I can.

Phyllis.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

New tariff for second VAC for CPV143 is AUD 42200 per applicant. It seems that there is no change over the previous rate. Am I correct? Any idea why it has not been raised when there is across the board rise in all other visa fees.Is it because of fall in number of Visa 143 applications? Thx in advance.

Regards

Edited by mmant

Hi Alan

New tariff for second VAC for CPV143 is AUD 42200 per applicant. It seems that there is no change over the previous rate. Am I correct? Any idea why it has not been raised when there is across the board rise in all other visa fees.Is it because of fall in number of Visa 143 applications? Thx in advance.

Regards

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your reply.Kindly see the following link:-

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/new-visa-charges-1july2013/_pdf/visa-pricing-table.pdf

It shows the same fee for CPV143 as for year 2012-13.Does it mean that there is no change as i have presumed or i am in the wrong.

Best regards.