Guest guest36187

Thanks for that Julie, I tried that link and it doesn't give Ireland as an option to where you are sending the money from. Do you mean the exchange rate on the day that I got acknowledged, if so it was the 20th September 2012. Sorry to be wrecking your head.

Fran.:mad:

No, no, Fran

It's the exchange rate on the date you make the payment. But if you pay Euros to the Australian embassy in Dublin (I'm guessing there is one), then the rate is fixed only twice a year – so at some times you might win, at others lose (depends whether the rate has gone up or down in the meantime). To get the rate, I guess you simply have to enter another Eurozone country in the conversion rates page. But to confirm, perhaps phone the Oz embassy.

Mike

Just to throw something else into the melting pot....a friend in England sent me a long email about how she was now having to store a Bentley on her drive because, in her words her friend:

"found that the Australian authorities would not accept the Bentley as it was two months over the manufacture time limit for importing old cars into Australia."

It is a 1989 one, he has now had to put it on eBay.

But you can import a car of any age under different schemes to the old car one.

The only problem could be bringing your vehicle up to the Australian standard, which you do not have to do under the old car scheme unless you wish to use it on their roads, but others on here have taken their cars across.

David

Hi

Has anybody shipped a car to Oz? I wondered if anyone has what was your experience of this? Do you think it was worth it. My husband has a special motor (well to him it is) one that it is not possible to get in OZ. Can a car and furniture be shipped together?

So many questions hope someone can help.

Thanks to anyone with info.

Not shipped a car but hoping to ship a folding caravan which comes under the same regulations as cars so looked into it and the answer I have received from all removal companies is yes you can ship a car and your belongings in one container.

The car goes in first then a bulkhead is built in front of it, your belongings go in next and if need be another bulkhead is built in front of them.

If there is enough space it is also possible for a platform to be built above your vehicle for putting boxes of your belongings on.

You are not allowed to put your belongings inside the car only things car related.

This link should show you what I mean.

http://www.pssremovals.com/car_shipping_to_australia.php

Hi Guys

We move into our own house in 10 days time ...how exciting....has anyone gathered any info on power companies out here ... My dd hasnt a clue ...leaves all the lights on etc ..even when out at work....we are trying to get a good deal ..but finding it a bit of a minefield ...the family in the house right now use ..origin...and they are happy ...

So looking forward to getting into the house..we live in a cabin right now and last night woke to be covered in ants...they were coming through the seam in the ceiling by the thousand and dropping on the bed....we sprayed everywhere and thousands more came to the funeral...the whole bed and floor were covered...we had to then sleep on the bed settee...the spray has hit my chest too..so feeling it today ...still sweeping them up ...yuk

Val ...

Hi Guys

We move into our own house in 10 days time ...how exciting....has anyone gathered any info on power companies out here ... My dd hasnt a clue ...leaves all the lights on etc ..even when out at work....we are trying to get a good deal ..but finding it a bit of a minefield ...the family in the house right now use ..origin...and they are happy ...

So looking forward to getting into the house..we live in a cabin right now and last night woke to be covered in ants...they were coming through the seam in the ceiling by the thousand and dropping on the bed....we sprayed everywhere and thousands more came to the funeral...the whole bed and floor were covered...we had to then sleep on the bed settee...the spray has hit my chest too..so feeling it today ...still sweeping them up ...yuk

Val ...

I don't fancy your ants!!

I suspect different states have different power tarriffs. When we first bought our house in NSW I rang around the gas and electricity and the best deal I could get was 7% off both if I got them with AGL. When we moved in we suddenly got a letter saying we would be charged because we had not stayed with them for a year....and apparently the company who the previous owner used had told AGL that we were still their customer. It eventually was sorted out - but added to the initial hassle. Some companies only offered 7% off electricity and 5% off gas......go into your local library, there is usually a service desk there and ask them for all the companies that operate in your area and where you could get advice.

Meanwhile hope the cockroaches come soon to eat the ants!

Julie

Hi Guys

Val ...

I always doubted that Australia is actually habitable by humans!!!

G'Day

To answer my own question (in case others are in the same position), I just received an email from Perth saying that getting a CO for the 173>143 upgrade takes "at least six months".

We'll see.

Mike

Hi MikenSue

I have been away for a couple of weeks with limited access to the internet so have only just read your post. We originally came over to Australia on a 173 and as we were lucky enough to sell our house then applied for the 143, lodged 24th June (sorry, in our excitement and all the other things going on here, never thought to ask Steve to put us on the tracker.) We actually got a case officer and thhe request for our AOS last Friday - so less than 4 months after lodging. Hope this helps.

Well it's now official. Our CO sent us a withdrawal form which I completed and have just sent off :cry: it was sad to see our name no longer on the Tracker too :cry: but it had to be done.

The form was simple enough basically just name DOB and date for each applicant and once the CO has logged it and thankfully the sponsor does not have to do anything.............

I have some personal and family health issues going on ATM too and things with the business are up in the air with the economy :swoon: so we have decided to wait until after the New Year before we make any decisions on the future.

Thankyou all for your kind posts and messages they were very much appreciated :yes: and I will stay in touch with the forum in the meantime.

Once we make a decision you will all be the first to know :wink:

Phoebe

Well it's now official. Our CO sent us a withdrawal form which I completed and have just sent off :cry: it was sad to see our name no longer on the Tracker too :cry: but it had to be done.

The form was simple enough basically just name DOB and date for each applicant and once the CO has logged it and thankfully the sponsor does not have to do anything.............

I have some personal and family health issues going on ATM too and things with the business are up in the air with the economy :swoon: so we have decided to wait until after the New Year before we make any decisions on the future.

Thankyou all for your kind posts and messages they were very much appreciated :yes: and I will stay in touch with the forum in the meantime.

Phoebe

Its so sad for you right now Phoebe but you never know whats around the corner. Just need to concentrate on getting through the next few weeks/months and see what the future holds. We still have Skype to keep us going till we get to the other side...:cool:

Val xx

Guest chameleon

Phoebe

Chin up Phoebe all will be good i am sure.

Cham

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I really feel for you having to make the decision to pull out.

We too have just had problems with our business. Although OH had retired from it, we still had links and payments into a pension and we had hoped to sell our interest in it at some point! The economy and mostly the banks and their charges put the final nail in the coffin and the receivers were called in a month ago. As long as the banks don't come after us for guarantees we will walk away with our health, but nothing else, no pension, no future nest egg.

Our health is the main thing and again, sorry to hear of your family health issues!

Will you still visit for holidays while you are making your mind up?

We are off at the weekend for 10 weeks with our grandson Harry, another sort of 'link' with you. Since we last saw him he has started walking and looks to be a real character when we see him on skype!

I do hope to convince OH to think of applying for a visa while we are there, although we have 2 granddaughters here to consider. I just feel that this country is looking after the wrong people and sadly we pensioners, who have kept people employed for years and years, are not the ones!

You are younger than me and you will have more chances in the future to start again.

The right time will come for you and Harry will wait!!!!!

Keep strong,

Pam

Hi Phoebe

I really feel for you having to make the decision to pull out.

We too have just had problems with our business. Although OH had retired from it, we still had links and payments into a pension and we had hoped to sell our interest in it at some point! The economy and mostly the banks and their charges put the final nail in the coffin and the receivers were called in a month ago. As long as the banks don't come after us for guarantees we will walk away with our health, but nothing else, no pension, no future nest egg.

Our health is the main thing and again, sorry to hear of your family health issues!

Will you still visit for holidays while you are making your mind up?

We are off at the weekend for 10 weeks with our grandson Harry, another sort of 'link' with you. Since we last saw him he has started walking and looks to be a real character when we see him on skype!

I do hope to convince OH to think of applying for a visa while we are there, although we have 2 granddaughters here to consider. I just feel that this country is looking after the wrong people and sadly we pensioners, who have kept people employed for years and years, are not the ones!

You are younger than me and you will have more chances in the future to start again.

The right time will come for you and Harry will wait!!!!!

Keep strong,

Pam

Yes we definatly intend to visit when we can :yes: and if we have to close the doors on our business (which is looking increasingly likley) we will walk away debt free but no money :swoon:

My OH started diving again last time we were there he used to do it for a living back in the day and been buying himself some new gear to take, I'm hoping that will help him to be more sure (he's still very unsure).

We just need to get these health issues etc sorted and come to terms with having to cancel then maybe my head will be clearer :goofy:

And yes I'm with you this country does look after the wrong people......we are the one's who have worked all our lives to now have it thrown in our faces...........no wonder our kids moved....and yes I do believe to a better place. Hopefully one day......:cool:

Phoebe

Yes we definatly intend to visit when we can :yes: and if we have to close the doors on our business (which is looking increasingly likley) we will walk away debt free but no money :swoon:

My OH started diving again last time we were there he used to do it for a living back in the day and been buying himself some new gear to take, I'm hoping that will help him to be more sure (he's still very unsure).

We just need to get these health issues etc sorted and come to terms with having to cancel then maybe my head will be clearer :goofy:

And yes I'm with you this country does look after the wrong people......we are the one's who have worked all our lives to now have it thrown in our faces...........no wonder our kids moved....and yes I do believe to a better place. Hopefully one day......:cool:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Very sorry to hear that you have had to take the action you have. Truly hope it is only a temporary set back. It makes all the problems we went through seem very insignificant. Hopefully it will come good in the end. in the meantime heres a hug.:hug::hug::hug:or two.

pete

Hi All

I've a question regarding CPV lodgement. My parents are currently offshore and have sent me all the required documents. Can these documents/forms be posted to Perth visa center from Australia instead of from offshore?

Stay in touch Phoebe, we will all be interested to see what you decide next year. It's a big setback for sure, but you are in good company making the decision to defer, something we would certainly have done if we were faced with the present economy and exchange rate.

All the very best.

Steve

Phoebe

So sorry it came to this but hopefully things will seem clearer in the New Year. Our ups and downs seem so trivial now compared to what you are going through.

Thinking of you and sending lots of :hug::hug::hug:

I know there are a few of you on here who have applied for the 173 and I would be grateful for your comments/advice. We arrived in Oz in June on a 173 and immediately applied for the 143. My understanding, according to Booklet 3, was that you could be onshore or offshore when you lodge the application and onshore or offshore when the visa is granted. However, I have just had an email from my CO saying that we need to be offshore when the visa is granted??

I know there are a few of you on here who have applied for the 173 and I would be grateful for your comments/advice. We arrived in Oz in June on a 173 and immediately applied for the 143. My understanding, according to Booklet 3, was that you could be onshore or offshore when you lodge the application and onshore or offshore when the visa is granted. However, I have just had an email from my CO saying that we need to be offshore when the visa is granted??

Hi Linday,

My understanding was the same as yours! Surely if the 173 is a temporary visa to enable the applicants to "try out" life in Oz before making the permanent decision then it makes sense that when the time comes for the granting of the 143, you would be there (in Oz) anyway!

We`re quite a way behind you in this process and I`m so grateful for all the tips and experiences that everyone shares on this site.

If you have to be offshore then perhaps you could have a little trip somewhere exotic for your Christmas present!!!

Good luck and do let us know what the outcome is!

Regards, Val x

I find that difficult to understand. Surely the 173 is simply a temporary version of the 143, and as you have up to two years to 'upgrade' you might well have burnt all UK boats.

I would suggest you email back to your CO and ask him/her to check/confirm. (And we'd like to know the result – as you know, we'll be in the same situation ourselves.)

Of course, if you do have to be overseas, a quick flight to NZ (or perhaps to Singapore, if you are in WA) is the solution (thought at unwanted extra cost, of course) – I was told once by Perth that this is quite a regular occurrence for "offshore" visa grants.

Good luck, Mike

Well, who would have thought it - you leave the UK to take up life the other side of the world and be with your family, and what does your family do..............................they get to meet the Queen! More celebrity for our beautiful Grandaughter.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/27/287441_news.html

:notworthy::notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe - Have not had much time to read all the messages on this thread for a while and have just caught up on your news. I am so sorry it has come to this and I really hope things improve for you soon, and that you will achieve your ambition to move here. With very best wishes. Gill