Guest guest36187

We have proudly become Aussie Citizens this year in July and we are now looking at bringing over my parents - dad, aged 83 and mom, aged 79. I am the only child and flying back and forth to South Africa yearly is costly not to mention the worry of being so far away and them not having any support close to them. I have a very supportive and wonderful husband who has suggested we bring them over and convert our one double garage for them into a large bedroom/kitchenette with an en suite. They have never flown over to visit us as they are financially dependent on us - South African pensions are not enough for them to survive on. We would need to take care of them here financially - I believe the non Contributory parent visa (offshore) is the way to go. Does anyone know the costs involved with this? costs of medicals etc as well ? I would need to bare all these costs so really need to look to see if it is something we can take on and afford, especially having a son in high school and a part time job! :-) any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks ever so much all :-):smile:

I assume you are talking about the normal parent visa 103? You may not be aware, but there is currently a 15 to 20 year waiting list for this visa unfortunately. Most parents go for the Contributory Parent visa which is quite costly and takes about 2 years. As your parents are both over 65 they would be able to apply onshore for the Aged Contributory Parent visa. I understand that someone on this forum got this visa through in about 4 months.

There is another visa, the Aged Parent visa 804 which they would be eligible to apply for onshore. Strictly speaking it is not legal to travel to Australia with the intention of staying, but I know people do it. There is another thread on this forum with people who have applied for this. Just search for 804 or aged parent visa. The visa does take several years, and the parents will be given a bridging visa which allows them to stay till their visa is granted. It is risky as there are disadvantages in that the parents will need to pass a medical before the visa is granted and if they fail they will not be granted the visa. Also I am not sure how they would stand with regard to Medicare. Parents from the UK have basic Medicare as there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK, but I don’t know about South Africa.

For the different types of visas have a look here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

And the costs are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

You can also find more information in Booklet 3:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

If they applied onshore they would be able to do their medicals here through Medibank:

http://www.medibankhealth.com.au/government_content.asp?t=Visa+Medicals&cid=35

If they did the medicals in South Africa they would need to use one of the panel doctors:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/s/south-africa/panel-doctors.htm

You would need to contact them to find out the cost.

Probably start by reading Booklet 3 and take it from there. Hope this helps.

Guest guest72525

"There is another visa, the Aged Parent visa 804 which they would be eligible to apply for onshore. Strictly speaking it is not legal to travel to Australia with the intention of staying, but I know people do it. There is another thread on this forum with people who have applied for this. Just search for 804 or aged parent visa. The visa does take several years, and the parents will be given a bridging visa which allows them to stay till their visa is granted. It is risky as there are disadvantages in that the parents will need to pass a medical before the visa is granted and if they fail they will not be granted the visa. Also I am not sure how they would stand with regard to Medicare. Parents from the UK have basic Medicare as there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK, but I don’t know about South Africa.""

Hi. We are South African and my parents applied for a contributory parent visa in June. they had intended to apply onshore as they are considered "aged" but my dad had a "no further stay" clause on his tourist visa, so they had to apply offshore.

If your parents can apply onshore, they will need private insurance (generally with a 1 year waiting period for pre-existing conditions) as South Africa does not have a reciprocial agreement with medicare. You are looking at about $350 to $500 per month for this. My parents come and go on a multiple entry tourist visa until they get a decision about their parent visa - and so have maintained their SA medical aid until they get (hopefully get!) permanent residence here.

This forum has been v helpful to mean in my search for knowledge. Please send me any questions if they are specifically South AFrican as I have done a lot of reading and phoned about my parents' situation.

Michelle

Hi al

With everyone so desperate to get to Australia as quickly as possible my question is going to sound a bit odd, but here goes:

If we applied for a contributing parents visa and paid the huge fees necessary I am assuming it would take about eighteen months. Can anyone confirm that, although you must validate your visa within the following twelve months, you can do this as part of a normal holiday, and can actually take up to five years to move over lock stock and barrel? I would also be interested to know whether, having moved over permenantly, there are any restrictions on the number of days per annum spent outside Australia after that?

The reason for my questions? Well, my husband has just agreed to move out here if possible when the time is right. (yay!) We are coming to the end of a two month visit and I think he has just had the best time. I am now trying to figure out how to get our permenant visas organised. I don't want to delay because we already have health issues and I would like to know as soon as poss. if visas are out of the question. Also don't want to leave time for anything else to crop up. However, the issue of my elderly mother is huge. I have been doing some sums and I reckon that if we waited a couple of years and then applied, then waited as long as possible before moving it would take my mum up to the age of 101.

I know this sounds calculating and awful but I love my mother and my daughter and am greedy enough to want to be with both of them.

Any comments?

Guest dundazi

Hi there We have been researching all about the 804 non contributory parents visa, which unless you have a lot of cash available is the way to go we think.....

We have been looking at the medical side also it seems that when you apply for the 804 on shore (which we hear is 8/12 years untill finalization )you get put onto a bridging visa. whilst on this bridging visa the 8/12 years ) you then having to pay for medical aid because of no reciprocal

health agreement my son in Au has told us about a company who does this which is reasonable rates we believe $100 approx per month they are called Frank Medical worth looking at that.

Hi al

With everyone so desperate to get to Australia as quickly as possible my question is going to sound a bit odd, but here goes:

If we applied for a contributing parents visa and paid the huge fees necessary I am assuming it would take about eighteen months. Can anyone confirm that, although you must validate your visa within the following twelve months, you can do this as part of a normal holiday, and can actually take up to five years to move over lock stock and barrel? I would also be interested to know whether, having moved over permenantly, there are any restrictions on the number of days per annum spent outside Australia after that?

The reason for my questions? Well, my husband has just agreed to move out here if possible when the time is right. (yay!) We are coming to the end of a two month visit and I think he has just had the best time. I am now trying to figure out how to get our permenant visas organised. I don't want to delay because we already have health issues and I would like to know as soon as poss. if visas are out of the question. Also don't want to leave time for anything else to crop up. However, the issue of my elderly mother is huge. I have been doing some sums and I reckon that if we waited a couple of years and then applied, then waited as long as possible before moving it would take my mum up to the age of 101.

I know this sounds calculating and awful but I love my mother and my daughter and am greedy enough to want to be with both of them.

Any comments?

I think someone already explained this on here not long ago if I remember right. Just had a look back through the thread and it was post 5201.

We have proudly become Aussie Citizens this year in July and we are now looking at bringing over my parents - dad, aged 83 and mom, aged 79. I am the only child and flying back and forth to South Africa yearly is costly not to mention the worry of being so far away and them not having any support close to them. I have a very supportive and wonderful husband who has suggested we bring them over and convert our one double garage for them into a large bedroom/kitchenette with an en suite. They have never flown over to visit us as they are financially dependent on us - South African pensions are not enough for them to survive on. We would need to take care of them here financially - I believe the non Contributory parent visa (offshore) is the way to go. Does anyone know the costs involved with this? costs of medicals etc as well ? I would need to bare all these costs so really need to look to see if it is something we can take on and afford, especially having a son in high school and a part time job! :-) any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks ever so much all :-):smile:

Hi IslandDreams Congrats on the citizenship.

As mentioned by other posters the offshore non-contributory parent visa can take 15 years - but this is the cheaper option.

Given your parents are over 65 there is an onshore non-contributory aged-parent visa option - which several people have mentioned.

However, if your parents are on South African passports it is likely that they will be given a "no further stay" condition on their visa should they travel to Australia on holiday. If the no further stay condition is placed on their visas it would prevent them from being able to applying for this visa onshore unless the condition was removed.

The Charges are here http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm it does not make happy reading.

See also Westly's post on your other thread.

There is a new Parent Tourist Visa to be announced later this year - not what you are after but potentially of use to some.

"Expected towards the end of 2012 Parents of Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be eligible to apply for an extended Tourist visa of up to 5 years providing stays of up to 12 months for each visit."

Edited by TeeTMI

Hi al

Any comments?

Just an afterthought. Have you considered applying for the normal parent visa 103? This would get you in the queue, so to speak and then when you were ready you could switch to the 143 CPV. This is what we did, as timing was an issue for us as well and the time we spent waiting for the 103 was taken into consideration, so we didn't have long to wait for a CO. In fact we applied for the 173 temporary CPV after the 103. This would give you another 2 years to apply for the 143, which currently takes about 6 months to process.

Thanks again Linday - great minds think alike, this is the way we have been thinking during the last few days. It all seems to be very pressing at the moment as we are on the last few days of our visit here - I really don't want to say goodbye and it sort of helps if there's a plan in mind, however tentative! Will be doing a lot of thinking during all those cold winter days to come in the UK. :-)

Thanks again Linday - great minds think alike, this is the way we have been thinking during the last few days. It all seems to be very pressing at the moment as we are on the last few days of our visit here - I really don't want to say goodbye and it sort of helps if there's a plan in mind, however tentative! Will be doing a lot of thinking during all those cold winter days to come in the UK. :-)

I so agree that it's great to have something to look forward to when you are leaving!

John and I are coming back in March for 3 months and it's making the thought of my leaving here in less than two weeks bearable.

I think I might actually be able to do what has been suggested here and apply for a 103 and just stretch the timings wherever possible.

As has been said, then if circumstances change, at least part of the waiting has been done. My change of circumstances would be my other daughter and her family emigrating too, not on the cards at the moment.

How did the house swap go this time? I might well follow that path for next year and take your previous suggestion to offer one less bedroom and use that to store "stuff"

Good luck in whichever path you choose.

Given our 'age brackets' why are we paying mega bucks for visas when the 804 is a pittance. I've read some info on it and it looks cosher but I have to be missing something :swoon:

Phoebe

The problem with the 804 is that being non-contributory it has the long waiting list of 10 to 15+ years. If you don't want to wait that long for the visa then as a parent the mega bucks visa's are the only options.

Hello everyone,this new 5yr visa that comes out out at the end of the year, is there any way to find out what the conditions are for it yet,and if so where do i go to find more information, iam sure its going to be to good to be true,but who knows.

Hi Jane

This came out on the 4th Sept - I have not seen any further announcement yet

04 September 2012 Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australians - expected towards the end of 2012.

Towards the end of 2012, parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to apply for Tourist visas to visit Australia for longer. Under this arrangement recently announced by the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, the department will consider granting on a case-by-case basis:

• Tourist visas of up to five years' validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue
  • Tourist visas of up to three years' validity with 12 months' stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

Hi Jane

This came out on the 4th Sept - I have not seen any further announcement yet

04 September 2012 Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australians - expected towards the end of 2012.

Towards the end of 2012, parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to apply for Tourist visas to visit Australia for longer. Under this arrangement recently announced by the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, the department will consider granting on a case-by-case basis:

• Tourist visas of up to five years' validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue

• Tourist visas of up to three years' validity with 12 months' stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

Im assuming you wouldn't be able to work on this visa same as normal holiday visas?

Just on another note I wrote to my MP not like me but really annoyed about the fact if you emigrate to a foreign country your pension goes up with inflation. I eventually got a reply yesterday to say she has brought it to the attention of the MP for work and pensions and will get in touch when she has a reply. I'll keep you all posted when I hear but don't hold your breaths :swoon:

In the meantime Neuro Surgeon appointment for me Monday 9.15 and biopsy for hubby Monday 3.45

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Phoebe

Good luck both of you for Monday.

The frozen pension issue is huge. I discovered a whole web site devoted to it a while ago and, providing the information there was accurate it seems that if you emmigrate to some countries (e.g. the Phillipines) your pension is raised in line with inflation, but if you go to others (e.g. Australia) it isnt.

I also gathered that if you are temporarily in a country where your pension would be regularly raised in line with inflation, you have the right to be paid the full current amount for the period of your temporary stay - even if it is just a few weeks - then when you return to (say Australia) your pension drops to the lower rate again.

The iniquities of this system are obvious, particularly when you consider that by leaving the UK we are saving them all the money they would have spent on our medical care etc etc as we got older. This has been brought before the European court of human rights but the case was lost - I don't know why

Kath

Briefly,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8568970.stm

Judges at the European Court of Human Rights were the latest to declare that National Insurance contributions did not have an "exclusive link" to retirement pensions.

"As non-residents, the applicants did not contribute to the UK economy, in particular, they paid no UK tax to offset the cost of any increase in the pension," a statement from the court said.

The court said that it was hard to draw any genuine comparison with the position of pensioners living elsewhere.