Cars in Oz?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Guest James W

We looked at shipping cars over but were warned off as you might need to do some conversions to the car to meet Oz regulations. There is also an import Tax based upon the cars value etc. Ask a shipping agency (Angle Pacific etc) and they can advise further.

If you are lookign for second hand cars in Oz, we have been price checking by Autotrader.com.au (now called Trading Post) & carpoint.com.au.

regards

J

Probably a Toyota Tarago would come close I should think. But here is a list of people movers

Chrysler Voyager

Citroen C4 Picasso

Honda Odyssey

Hyundai iMax - Flash

Kia Carnival

Mitsubishi Grandis

Renault Grand Scenic

Toyota Avensis

Toyota Tarago

Volkswagen Caddy Maxi Life

Volkswagen Caravelle

Volkswagen Multi Van

I hired a Galaxy last year and it was very similar to the Taragos I have driven here apart from the 6 speed gear box - the Toyotas I have driven have all been automatic but I am sure they must have gears in there somewhere. I vaguely remember hearing someone say it was similar to one of the Volkswagons but not sure about that.

I dont know that I would ship a model which hasnt been released here in Australia - all sorts of difficulties with spare parts etc. Someone shipped a Galaxy a while ago and reported in a thread that it had caused them no end of problems with repairs, not sure if it was on PIO or BE though

Hi my husband is now the mechanic for the family Quoll mentioned,, the aussies arent upto spec on vehicles that cant be bought here, hence the family had problems with garages charging them lots of $$$ but not fixing the problems. Getting parts can also be a problem and the family most times have to order them from the UK for my hubby to fit which can be a hinrance if the vehicle is off the road and is your only means of transport.

You cant buy the Galxy here and as yet there is no equivalent. A kia is probably the nearest 'style' of vehicle that you can get here. Lots of migrant familys i know buy the Carnival and all have seemed happy with it.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

The cars we have in Aus are tried and true for our climate and conditions. You need to buy a car that when you go out into the country and you have a problem that the local garage will have the part, so Toyota, Nissan, Holden, Ford and Mazda are probably the go, Holden and Toyota being the main choice of the farmers and people in the country.

We have Japanese cars as the engines keep going when the body drops off and we keep our cars until they drop.

Seen as Aussies have no mot how do you know if your buying a roadworthy car?

It depends on which state you are in. In NSW you do have the equivalent of an MOT done each year. In QLD you don't, so when you sell your car you have to sell it with a Road Worthy Certificate.

Love

Rudi

x

I was quite prepared to hate the Terago; life's too short for non-turbo cars, but was pleasently suprised by it. There's another thread here somewhere about 7 seater cars, delves into the range of 7 seater 4bies too, if that's ever an option.

Sorry OP,

slightly off track, are there any BMW dealerships in Brisbane/Queensland or anywhere in the country?

OH loves his car!:wubclub:

yesss.i know you think were behind but yes we do have bmw's here and of course dealers as soon as you mention european cars dollar signs light up their eyes.my son just modified a bmw replaced the motor with aturbo charged inter cooled nissan skyline six cylinder goes like a rocket

Guest proud2beaussie
Sorry OP,

slightly off track, are there any BMW dealerships in Brisbane/Queensland or anywhere in the country?

OH loves his car!:wubclub:

Plenty of them,have a look here-

BMW Australia > BMW Dealers

but be prepared to pay big money,BMW's and other European makes like Mercedes are prestige cars here and cost a lot more than in the UK.

Have a look here -

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/usedvehicles/VehicleSearch/UsedVehicleSearch.html

and see what I mean.

Plenty of them,have a look here-

BMW Australia > BMW Dealers

but be prepared to pay big money,BMW's and other European makes like Mercedes are prestige cars here and cost a lot more than in the UK.

Have a look here -

BMW Australia > Used Vehicles > Used Vehicle Search > Search for a Used BMW

and see what I mean.

Thanks guys,

No I didn't mean to imply behind but was unsure, if we ever get to come over, would poss think about bringing his X5 over we bought last yr and reading car ads today, a similiar car would cost more than we paid last yr.

Unbelievable, better than our house prices, lol.:biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

Cars are expensive in Australia compared with other countries,for a variety of reasons including cost of materials,transport costs,labour,tax etc.

My girlfriend in the UK recently bought a Mercedes for £8000.00,that car in Australia would have cost well over $30000,in some cases it is worth it to import vehicles into Australia,especially prestige vehicles,but in many cases it will come down to the shipping cost and the charges that you have to pay to get it on the road here,but in the case of an X5 it may well be worth it,there are many threads here on PIO from people who have done it .

Bear in mind that if you import a car it will be classed as a grey import and re-sale can be hard, lots of dealers we spoke to offered peanuts for imported cars.

Second hand cars are expensive here but unlike the UK they seem to hold their value and people don't swap and change cars as much,, i think brand new cars are pretty much on par with what you would pay back in the UK.

Cal x

Thanks guys,

No I didn't mean to imply behind but was unsure, if we ever get to come over, would poss think about bringing his X5 over we bought last yr and reading car ads today, a similiar car would cost more than we paid last yr.

Unbelievable, better than our house prices, lol.:biggrin:

alot of european cars dont handle the conditions here that well roads a lot rougher temp a lot hotter, dash boards crack in the sun suspension goes ect.:cute:

Yeah, BMW dealers are relatively common in Brisbane/QLD. A quick internet search came up with BMW Australia > BMW Dealers which might be useful. I have no idea what prices (and, more important, servicing costs) would be though but I see lots of Beemers on the road.

Regarding people movers, with great trepidation we bought a Kia Grand Carnival shortly after arriving here--we got a "deal we couldn't refuse" on an ex demo vehicle. We've had it about 2 and a half years now and I've been pleasantly surprised at how well built it is and how many nice features we keep finding--folding/removing seats is a dream compared to the Tarago for example. If you're looking for that sort of car, I strongly suggest putting aside any anti-Kia prejudice (like I used to have in droves) and have a look.

Bob

ETA: Ooops...must remember to look for second pages in topics before hitting reply...

Guest dermedicus

The price of used cars here is a surprise as it was something I had overlooked completely amongst all the other planning. I am a fan of European cars, so am having some trouble finding a suitable vehicle at the right price and I suspect one of my adjustments to life in Australia will have to be bidding farewell to the luxury of a nice European car and getting used to driving the aforementioned Kia or similar.

Archived