Hi,

I've been avidly watching the Wanted Down Under series this week. Just want to know if anybody else thinks the same as me tho -

the family on Wednesday programme were looking at WA, now they said at the beginning of the property search they had £180k to bring over and would like to buy without a mortgage, lets see what you get for your money. In the voiceover, Nadia whatsername says you can get 4bed family house in Rockingham area for around £200k. Now my ears prick up, coz we fancy that area, sounds a decent price, looking forward to this! WHY oh WHY then, do they show them houses (lovely as they were) for nothing under £260k?????

Is it to make the programme look good, fancy newly renovated or new build houses, but what about us that live in the real world and want affordability??!!:arghh:

Sorry about me ranting, its just i would really like to see what the average joe bloggs could really afford! By the way, im from yorkshire, got a pretty low mortgage here and we are (apparently) notorious for being tight with money here, so maybe that explains why im so peeved!! lol.

:biglaugh:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi oh and i just said the same thing this am, selling the dream, the house programmes here do the same thing they? there are cheaper over there , and not in bad ares either my family have said its not dis to here, older houses needing a bit of tlc ect . were a tight lot too, after all the paying to get there you have to be dont you. like she said on the show more for your money in land too. still glued to the show though, but then i like location and grand designs aswell.

Guest traybears

HI SADSMILE,YES WE THOUGHT THIS TOO.ON ONE OF THE SHOWS THEY EVEN SHOWED ONE DOUBLE WHAT THEY COULD AFFORD?? ALSO WE'VE THOUGHT THAT 'SOME' OF THE FAMILIES DON'T SEEM TO REALLY WANT TO GO IN THE FIRST PLACE,SEEMS LIKE THEIR HEARTS NOT REALLY IN IT ?MAYBE ITS JUST US BECAUSE WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO...TRACY.

Hi

You know what I thought exactly the same thing. They show houses far and above what the people can afford. Instead of showing them perhaps a slightly older property which is still nice but also affordable & withi the budget they take them round luxury newbuilds that they don't have the money for or in todays show they took them around a luxury house first and and then around a right dump last which would need a fortune spent on it to get it right! Its a wonder the people don't end up more confused than when they started! its still avid watching though!

Mandy x

Watching This Show Last Year Got Me totally Hooked On

The Idea Of Oz!!!

Now I Am Confused Where I Wanna Go As Cairns Looked Lovely

Today!!!

I am no longer confused Perth was the head option Cairns was the heart option after today I am following my heart and I can't wait. :wub:

Guest Redaussies

I'm putting this post on not to be negative or a killjoy, but because I don't like being mislead. We followed the show last year and recorded each programme and watched them twice. Even had the family watching them. Went out to Oz last year and actually went to one of the show homes South of Brisbane. Had our pic’s taken in one of the houses. The houses are fantastic, stunning, better than anything here in UK. But what a load of rubbish the programme was. The price’s were wrong, and they didn’t include in the price the cost of the block of land in the first place. We mentioned it to the reps there in the show houses and told them how much interest the programme had generated in the UK. They looked at us as if we were from Mars not UK. Also keep an eye out for the other inaccuracies they give. For example, as you know the series concentrates on Skilled Migrants Under 45. Last year they said a new migrant can’t start up their own business, when arriving in Australia and would need to go into paid employment. That’s rubbish. I have 2 friends there one set up his own barbers shop within 2 months of arrival, another one opened a coffee shop within a fortnight. This year they have shown one couple with the main applicant not having worked for 2 years. Does that sound right to you cos it dont to me. Chase the dream by all means but don’t get carried away with this show or your in for a disappointment.

Funny but I thought that I preferred the worst of the three homes in Cairns. It had far more character, native trees in the garden and they could have bought that one for cash I think. Their eyes lit up as they thought how much more they could borrow if she gets a job too and then buy the dream home. I hate being in debt mind. I've never been to Cairns and it did look nice but I'll still live in Sydney.

Thanks for the warning redaussies.

For me I take what I hear on there with a pinch of salt the one the other day with the man with the quite problematic health problems the meds weren't even mentioned.

Its just day time rubbish really and I dont mean to be flippant when I say this but I only watch it for the pictures and very occassional piece of relevant info.

Its by coming on forums like this that help to knock off those rose tinted glasses and get a slice of reality from people already there.

Funny but I thought that I preferred the worst of the three homes in Cairns. It had far more character, native trees in the garden and they could have bought that one for cash I think. Their eyes lit up as they thought how much more they could borrow if she gets a job too and then buy the dream home. I hate being in debt mind. I've never been to Cairns and it did look nice but I'll still live in Sydney.

I hear what you say maryrose but I would have had number 2.

When we make the move I have promised hubby that we never have to do up another renovator. :biglaugh:

I agree with you wardy - everything with a pinch of salt. Just another moan to add - when they checked out the supermarket prices, the guy went to a small, independent supermarket and was shocked by some of the prices compared to UK. whats wrong with sending him to ASDA/Tesco equivalent in OZ - come on BBC, show us the real stuff.

I agree with you wardy - everything with a pinch of salt. Just another moan to add - when they checked out the supermarket prices, the guy went to a small, independent supermarket and was shocked by some of the prices compared to UK. whats wrong with sending him to ASDA/Tesco equivalent in OZ - come on BBC, show us the real stuff.

Thought the same thing myself about the supermarket.

I hear what you say maryrose but I would have had number 2.

When we make the move I have promised hubby that we never have to do up another renovator. :biglaugh:

Come to think of it, the unit (flat) they stayed in looked pretty good too. Perfect for a young couple. They could even buy two and let one out as an investment. I must admit I've got a high tolerance for shabbiness. Anything to keep my hands away from my wallet and my handyman skills are, on a scale of 1 to 100, less than zero.

Come to think of it, the unit (flat) they stayed in looked pretty good too. Perfect for a young couple. They could even buy two and let one out as an investment. I must admit I've got a high tolerance for shabbiness. Anything to keep my hands away from my wallet and my handyman skills are, on a scale of 1 to 100, less than zero.

We have just finished renovating an edwardian terrace and it needed absolutely everything doing from wiring to windows and bathrooms to kitchens.

Hubby is a great handyman but I have promised no more he wants all the hard work done for him :smile:

Hi all

I still preferred Perth although Cairns did look fab! As for the guy buying his shopping from a independant market well it'd be like us buying our weekly shop from an organic shop or farmers market wouldn't it. I do agree with other posters that you just take these sort of programmes with a pinch of salt but I do wish the tv would be a little more realsitic with these families.

Mandy x

I have just been talking well writing to the girl who was on this morning and she said it was quite heavily edited.

The wanted to show the work situation for her was quite bad out there for her it didnt show you when she was talking about how she had previously worked on a boat as a marine biologist in Cairns and got a job within 24 hours of her arriving.

she said there was quite a few bits missed off but she doesnt seem to bothered.

Guest bshootz

Hi all, i also watched with great excitment the show on Wednasday, as this is the area or more out of Fremantle that we are heading to.

I couldn't help but shout at the tv, how spoilt are these people, does it really matter how new, the lay out of the house is etc etc, thought the whole idea abut migrating to Oz is to have a more outside life style,i think we brits focus toooooo much on the material things and trying to 'keep up with the jones' ok yes so having a decent home is important but come on what about the older or more affordable home also what about showing some rental properties.

There thats better all of my chest now!!!:twitcy:

Beckyx:jiggy:

Guest The Greens
I have just been talking well writing to the girl who was on this morning and she said it was quite heavily edited.

The wanted to show the work situation for her was quite bad out there for her it didnt show you when she was talking about how she had previously worked on a boat as a marine biologist in Cairns and got a job within 24 hours of her arriving.

she said there was quite a few bits missed off but she doesnt seem to bothered.

Well I watched again today and I thought that couple in Cairns were fantastic. What a lovely sensible young couple. Their hopes and dreams were there for all to see and I wish them nothing but joy and good luck for their migration. Judging from the way they were kissing and canoodling smlove2.gif I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a wee little Aussie on the way soon as well.

They reminded me of a younger version of me and Tony, kissing all day long. Love to walk on to the building site with his lunch and give him a big kiss in front of all the lads, or better still in the "Players and Officials Committee lounge" at his Rugby Club. Really upsets all the old farts there when I'm around. :realmad:

But seriously, Good Luck to them I say, and even if the young lady today can’t find work straight away if she follows her destiny she will.

EMMY (still in love) smlove2.gif

Guest Curlysoo

I was really looking forward to this series and i am enjoying some of it, getting to see the individula cities and surrounding areas ... but some seems SO unrealistic ... for example the Vet last week he was an Equine Vet who was a partner in a horsey hospital, they were looking at NZ His 3 options were totally unsuitable for his present lifestyle,as IF he would take a pay cut to £30k ... and what a SNOB his wife was the way she dismissed all the house options. I really WOULDNT want her as a neighbour coz she was more of a whinging AND whining POM!

The family who had the Cancer Drug Trial Nurse as the main visa applicant? .... her husband sadly has a muscle wasting disease which unfortunately was progressive and yet no mention AT ALL was made of any issues that might cause for the visa, WHY?

Saying all that I am still watching each and every episode and record them on Sky+ sp that John can watch them as well :cool:

Guest kulashaker

Now I've only seen one episode of Wanted....... The couple in question wanted to move to Oz from Crawley, and were checking out Perth. One of their stated main reasons for going was that it would be a better life for their daughter so I found it amazing then that not once did they check out the schools/ childcare provision etc. All you saw them do was walk in to a house and marvel about what you could get for your cash. Theres more to life than a big house and a pool. Or is Perth like someone said elsewhere here, getting full of Poms comparing house and pool sizes? Nadia Thingy said at the start how affordable houses werein Wellard I think, and mentioned a price (was it 370K or 270K?) I would like to know where these house are, as I've had a look round the real estate websites and can't see any! And the ones they checked out were way over those prices. Anyone thinking of going would probably do well to avoid the programme - but how can we resist! And it keeps the dream alive!!

Guest Gollywobbler
I am no longer confused Perth was the head option Cairns was the heart option after today I am following my heart and I can't wait. :wub:

Kaye, dear!!!

For your own good you should have been locked up and not allowed to watch either programme, my friend!!!

Trust me, on the last series there was a house in Adelaide that I would have killed for. Donovan (Sarah) viewed it in person...

Big Hugz

Gill

xxxx :twitcy::twitcy:

Archived