Things to bring to Oz/things to leave in the UK

shaunkaren

If you are bringing over wicker/raffia then you may find customs/quarantine want to spray it to make sure no bugs get into Oz - If you are bringing in outdoor wooden furniture just make sure it is scrubbed and disinfected of any traces of dirt (same goes for bikes/outdoor equipment). If it is really clean then you should be ok. Take your pine cones of the Xmas tree/Xmas decs too. We left a load of baskets behind in the UK because we weren't sure if they would pass or not. Indoor wooden furniture we brought got through no problems.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We havent made the move yet! but this kind of thread has been done a few times and I've been making notes of what others say with regard to the stuff being expensive when you get there, so far I have.

Dyson, Bedding, Towels, Pyrex Cookware, Laptops, Tumble dryer (wont be taking mine though)

For me I want to buy all new furniture when we arrive as I think English style houses are very different.

But deff taking some of the above....... and our CD's, Dvd,

Can anyone help add to my list as Husband wont let me have a container if I only have these few bits on it??

Laptops and tumble dryers are about the same price now, however furniture is very expensive compared to the UK. I wouldnt say pyrex is expensive here either. Unless you get a region free DVD player your DVDs wont work but Blu rays do. For CDs put them all onto an ipod. it will be cheaper than transporting them and you can then transfer them to alarm clocks, hi fis, car stereos etc easily too..

Definitely get a UK extension socket so you can plug laptops/mobiles and other small gadgets into one UK plug (add a travel plug). Definitely been a godsend.

You can get half containers and i think even quarter containers.

Guest cityfan

Bring whatever you can afford!! we left so much behind and have started frrom scratch, its lovely having all new things but we have spent much more than the shipping would have been. we left umberellas, coats, fleeces and have been shocked at how chilly it is in the winter!!...and we have had the worst rainfall in queensland for decades!!... we left behind some ormiments and wall art which i wish we'd brought, kitchen stuff is cheap enough but bring electrical items with LOTS of adapter plugs and extension cords...stock up on bedding (or manchester!!??) its expensive here although there is a shop called pillowtalk which is pretty reasonable and of course IKEA!!... i found clothes expensive here and was delighted to find m&s deliver!!...grab some bargains over there in the sales before you leave... we have been lucky, as a friend of ours owns a furinture store and offered my hubby a job as soon as we got here and so we managed to get some bargains :) when we first arrived we were suprised at how much the cost of living here was but now we have settled and found our way around, there are many cheaper stores than the main ones you find on arrival! food is very expensive compared to the uk as there are only 2 main supermarkets!! one thing i would advise against is comparing prices...you must really stop yourself from doing it!!! i was putting things back on shelves saying...no way am i paying for that..!!....once you've been here a while you'll stop the comparison but try and bring as much as you can...you can always replace it later if you want but its definatley worth spending on shipping.... :)

We are soon to be ping pommers and I can tell you everything we own will be shipped back again!!! .... following my previous short time in Oz its the little things that you need to replace that can surprise you in cost.....thankfully those little things are just that little in size so fill up empty spaces with tea towels and energy saving light bulbs etc.... last time we shipped I bought a new s/s kitchen bin from argos and filled in to the brim with kitchen nic nacs such as foil, cling film, sandwich bags and cleaning sponges/brushes etc. We also purchased new tv's, sofas, washing machine, dish washer, duvets, ironing board, mop bucket etc all labels were removed and we got through customs ok..... i'm not suggesting to go out and buy everything new but if its serviceable take it....with the exchange rate as it is....if you are taking a container fill it to its capacity. To add to the above the only things we didn't take last time that will now be included is a set of ladders, petrol fuel can, cordless drill and some plastic garage shelving......oh and if you have kids get some new Clarks shoes in the sales !!!

Good luck to all those starting a new life down under xJo

Guest siamsusie
Considering buying a new computer but obviously wouldn't have had it for the required 12 months. How strict would customs be if I was to bring with us and not package in the original box.

More than likely ok, except the warranty would be null and void... you could even package in the box just rough it up a tad:wink: Susie

Read on an older thread that pampers aren't available and with a 16-month old daughter nappies are a must. Obviously appreciate that alternatives are available but how would customs look on us bringing a lot of boxes of nappies for personal use. Would they be suspicious that we may sell them on?

Thanks

The Hippo

More than likely ok, except the warranty would be null and void... you could even package in the box just rough it up a tad:wink: Susie

We had a problem with a Dell laptop under warranty bought in UK and they repaired it here with no problems.

Work out the shipping costs cos if tight on space I'd buy one here and also you'll not have to wait for it to arrive cos you can buy it as soon as you get here.

Check out Dell website for a UK price compared to a Aus price for a rough idea

Ditto, ditto and thrice ditto to the above comment!!! We left winter coats behind and moved to Melbourne -BIG mistake given that they have had the coldest, wettest winter for goodness knows how many years!! Also if you can fit it into the container I would suggest bringing it. We have got IKEA out here, also check out Target, KMart, BigW for prices of replacements of things here. be prepared for the 'in between' costs whilst waiting for that container as well. Not sure where you are moving to but if it is near Berwick in Victoria we would be more than happy to help you out with those things.

Having been here a year the things we have sent over as Red Cross parcels include antihistamines, trainers from UK outlet stores, bedding and books and most importantly English chocolate!!!!! I would suggest that if money permits top up on your bed sheets as 'Manchester' (that's what Aussies call bedding etc - still not sure why!!) as it is more expensive here. Next do deliver to Australia now but the last time I looked that only included women and children's clothes.

Good luck with the big move!!

Karen

Hi Karen

How long have you lived in Berwick, we have sent off for 457 and just waiting now. We have been looking at living in a few different areas but Berwick is top of the list, we have a 4yr old daughter so obviously we would want to be near schools. My partner has a job to go to, but I will have to find something once we get over there. Is there any particular areas in Berwick which are nicer than others, few houses I have looked at on real estate appear to be rather close to highway so would think it would be pretty noisey.

Also on the subject of bring things over would it be worth bring a tv over, I have heard some people say its not worth it as it is not guaranteed to work over there.

Sarah

Guest ojjinoz
Read on an older thread that pampers aren't available and with a 16-month old daughter nappies are a must. Obviously appreciate that alternatives are available but how would customs look on us bringing a lot of boxes of nappies for personal use. Would they be suspicious that we may sell them on?

Thanks

The Hippo

Actually I have seen Pampers in a couple of Coles stores...Coles have a FEW english items, like pampers and colemans mint sauce...mmmmm!

So try their first!

Guest GemandJay

Hello Everyone

After almost 2 years of waiting we finally got our visa's so now we are starting to think about all the who, what, why, where and when's!??? Can anyone help or advise on the following:

Do xbox 360's and our games work

We've got newish big screen tv's we'd like to bring but have heard some people say they work and some say they won't, anyone know the answer?

Is there a list somewhere of what can and can't go in the container?

My OH is a carpenter and will be shipping out his tools, we've been told they will all need to be clean... how clean is clean and how do you clean power tools?

Can anyone recommend a website to look for a short term let for when we arrive,m have looked on the onternet but sooooo expensive is it better to book into a hotel for a week or 2?

Sorry for all the questions and any advice or guidance would be so greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks

Gemma

Guest ojjinoz
Surprisingly, bring garden tools, wheelbarrow, and also diy tools (hammers, drills, etc).

And if you like them, bring branstons pickles, bisto gravy, teabags, chewing gum, ground coffee - all are more expensive here.

Branston definitely, bisto is A MUST, gravy out here SUCKS, Ive gotten used to the tea bags-Dilma taste better to me now than pg tips :shocked: BRING CHOCOLATE!!!! The chocolate out here is not nice. Also there is next to nothing in the selection of crisps, god how I miss monster munch, and hula hoops, and space raiders and chedder cheese and nik naks and discos ahhhhhhhh :sad: But they take up ALOT of space.

It helps if you have friends/family who are willing to replenish you every year with a few boxes of goodies!!

The thing I regret most not bringing is bed sheets(in 5 years I havent found anywhere to buy these cheaply), crockery, pots n pans, cutlery etc. we thought it would be cheaper to replace all these things rather than shipping, but it definitely isnt.

Guest ojjinoz

Gemma CONGRATULATIONS!! what a wonderful feeling it is when you get those visas through! Now the really hard work begins!

I know my folks stayed in a holiday rental for a couple of weeks before renting somewhere, I would defo advise this, dont take on a rental on just looking on the internet, you gotta see the places! Find a cheap motel or holiday rental is the way to go! www.realestate.com.au is a great website for short and long term rentals!

Our PS2 worked so see no reason why an xbox wouldnt? You'll need adapters though.

My hubby is an electrician and had to make sure all his tools were clean, we didnt go overboard to be honest, just gave them a rinse (non power tools) and a bit of a scrub. Not sure how much the strictness has changed in 5 years?

Whatever company you go with for the container should provide you with a list of do's and donts, I really dont remember much of it, farming equipment is a no, and wicker furniture/baskets, but dont know about anything else sorry!

We didnt bring over any electrical goods, just a few sentimental pieces of furniture and boxes, so not sure about the t.vs, but again my dad brought over a plasma which worked fine.

good luck!

Gemma CONGRATULATIONS!! what a wonderful feeling it is when you get those visas through! Now the really hard work begins!

I know my folks stayed in a holiday rental for a couple of weeks before renting somewhere, I would defo advise this, dont take on a rental on just looking on the internet, you gotta see the places! Find a cheap motel or holiday rental is the way to go! www.realestate.com.au is a great website for short and long term rentals!

Our PS2 worked so see no reason why an xbox wouldnt? You'll need adapters though.

My hubby is an electrician and had to make sure all his tools were clean, we didnt go overboard to be honest, just gave them a rinse (non power tools) and a bit of a scrub. Not sure how much the strictness has changed in 5 years?

Whatever company you go with for the container should provide you with a list of do's and donts, I really dont remember much of it, farming equipment is a no, and wicker furniture/baskets, but dont know about anything else sorry!

We didnt bring over any electrical goods, just a few sentimental pieces of furniture and boxes, so not sure about the t.vs, but again my dad brought over a plasma which worked fine.

good luck!

We moved 2 yrs ago and clean means new clean, they found 2 blades of grass on our teampoline, and we scrubbed power washed etc and we still got stung $180 for them to 'clean' it or $120 for them to destroy it!!! We were told to make everything as clean as possible then when you pack make sure they smell of pine dicinfectant so when they open the box they can smell its been clean. might be an old wivies tale but for the sake of £5 bottle migght save you a heap over here.

Can you put food items in the container?

Also how do you send food items over to Oz, somebody mention about a red cross parcel how do you do this.

We shipped 3 large boxes of Pampers and 3 boxes of pampers wipes.... no probs at all.

Xbox worked fine as did all of our tv's..... don't forget a few extension leads as saves changing all the plugs at once.

Don't think you can ship paint.....shame as its really expensive in Oz.

I have read most of this tread with interest (not finished it yet - will later) I just wanted to say that Amazon UK now deliver free to Australia - if you spend over £25 and choose the free delivery items.

They have a grocery section and things such as chocolate, marmite, crisps and cleaning items/toiletries are there for free delivery. They are of course in bulk so you can easily get things you may miss.

Hi Guys,

I am at that stage when having to think about what we can bring over too.

We do not intend to get a container, but OH will need to bring a few tools, he is an electrician.

So how do we get these over without a container, should we just ship a small crate, as these would be too heavy for a suitcase ????

Thanks guys.

Tina

I recall when we were over last Easter that we had a heck of a job finding Pampers nappies. They sold them but in the Coles and other stores we went in only sold the Active Fit ones. Not the normal nappies. Active Fit ones being less per pack and more expensive here in the UK. We bought them but would have been happier with the green and yellow packs not the purple ones.

We did try another brand but son didn't get on with them (ongoing joy of nappy brands, some don't always fit well or leak, other brands never seem to).

We'll bring a fair bit. Defo bedlinen, towels, kitchen stuff. I know our curtains/blinds probably won't fit most Aussie windows so am considering leaving those behind.

Furniture wise we'll probably bring about 2/3rds of our stuff. Same with electrical goods. Leaving behind fridge freezer and a few smaller things and will replace once there. We'll buy new table and chairs over there also. Our current ones are old and by the time we move over will need replacing.

I'm slowly stocking up on certain stuff like clothes for son, extra good bedlinen, towels and replacing my old kitchen pots and pans with new ones to bring over. Bought son a new mattress a few weeks ago to last him and will get new bedframe once we are over there.

We plan on a whole container so any space I'll fill with food, clothes and all the little extras. And things I'd like to bring but didn't think I'd have room for and didn't mind to leave :tongue: So some books, CD's and bits like that may find their way in.

really good thread ....... we just accepted offer on house and are moving into rented property for six months ish whilst we wait and wait and wait???? for visa so want to have a good clear out now of things that dont want to or cant take with us .......we are going to get a container so this thread has given some usefull tips ...... I want to take my sofa x2 with us however the cushions are filled with duck feathers does anyone know if this is a no no or can we pay to have it treated ????? dont really want to leave behind as not that old and was expensive so the cost of treating would probably be worth it if this is an option ????

Archived