Things to bring to Oz/things to leave in the UK

shaunkaren

Guest claire&fred
That being said, would I be going overboard (being a real softie when it comes to cold) if I brought electric blankets??? :laugh: To be honest my parents may visit during July/August and my Mum hates being cold - I think the Melbourne winters may surprise them.

Alot of people here, Australians included have electric blankets. It can get quite cold during the night, and as the houses have no insulation or double glazing you tend to feel it more. My kids have their duvets, a large fleece blanket and sometimes a hot water bottle too.

Claire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shawgorbys

Great thread coz ive bought loads of towels bedding in the sales they have all been washed packed up in boxes ready for when we have sold the bloody house cant wait to get to perth take care everyone andrea&family

It looks like a trip to 'Next to Nothing' is on the cards - they sell really cheap 'seconds' at rock bottom prices, but the household goods stay in good condition for years. On another note, electric blankets it is!! Have also been requested by son that we take enough Marmite too - unfortunately he can go through a large jar a week, we may have to fill a crate up (not sure what customs would say to that?)

Keep the ideas coming through it really helps to get info from those 'in the know'!

Karen

Guest shawgorbys

Hi Karen they do marmite over in oz but its called vegimite and its just the same hope this helps we were in asda last week and there was a washer &dryer for both £230 so i said it would be worth buying them for on the container lol hubby says omg lol we have to laugh or we will cry take care Andrea,Gary,Jack,Tom,x

On advice from people on here I brought loads of Egyptian cotton bedding and towels.(Matalan and Tescos)So glad I did cos good quality stuff is expensive.

I also filled one of those 3 drawer plastic storage boxes with toiletries.Every thing from shaving gel,veet,razors and blades,shower gel,hair dye, moisturising cream,to a huge supply of tampax.

We have been here 3 months and probably have enough toiletries to last till the end of the year.

Hi Karen they do marmite over in oz but its called vegimite and its just the same hope this helps we were in asda last week and there was a washer &dryer for both £230 so i said it would be worth buying them for on the container lol hubby says omg lol we have to laugh or we will cry take care Andrea,Gary,Jack,Tom,x

Son tried it on reccie and was not impressed - thought it wise to take enough to get him settled in whilst feeling homesick. A nice slice of marmite on toast will do the trick hopefully!! Once it has gone we will switch to vegemite and have the occasional treat when visitors bring some over.

Karen

On advice from people on here I brought loads of Egyptian cotton bedding and towels.(Matalan and Tescos)So glad I did cos good quality stuff is expensive.

I also filled one of those 3 drawer plastic storage boxes with toiletries.Every thing from shaving gel,veet,razors and blades,shower gel,hair dye, moisturising cream,to a huge supply of tampax.

We have been here 3 months and probably have enough toiletries to last till the end of the year.

Surely toiletries aren't that expensive out there? I didn't really buy any on our trip as took supplies. If they are then its BOGOF at Tesco's before I leave!!! I have to say when I started this thread I didn't expect it to come up with half this stuff:laugh: I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea to ship the whole house (foundations and all), that way we have somewhere to live in after the first 6 weeks!

Guest Jules2

Thank you everyone, this thread has been really useful.... but now I'm wondering whether it would be better to do a mass shop before (if) we go (still waiting on Visa and house to sell).

My question is should we buy all new before we go???

Our washing machine/tumble dryer/TV/microwave/sofa/bed are all AT LEAST 9 years old and on their last legs. Was going to replace when we got there but would it be better/cheaper to replace here and take over??

Any suggestions???

Jules

Guest Jules2

Oooh how sad....I'm getting really excited at the thought of going shopping to fill up a container for our new life.

Was planning on going on our last holiday from here at Christmas/New Year but might have to delay it now to hit the January Sales.

What am I like!!!!

Just make sure the items look like they have been used before you go, don't quote me on this but anything under a year old may be subject to more tax at the other end. I know that is the situation with cars. I too want to go and shop till I drop though!!!

We came with nothing as we knew we were going to travbel for at least 6 months. In hind sight, I would have brought everything.

We had to start from scratch. There are cheaper places here - probably equivalent to Argos, so you can set yourself up with mostly anything pretty economically as long as you do your reseach. Having said that, bring as much as you can and you can update things whne you are settled

Leanda

Have just had email from friend in Brisbane who has an electric blanket due to cold nights - we are planning on going to Melbourne so will DEFINITELY be buying some!!!

lol ...we are in perth and yes you defo need ur winter woolies !!!

mrs keily

Guest Beach Babe

So would it be worth buying and taking all new Tefal pots & pans all mine are on their last legs missing lids etc so will need all new anyway. Are they expensive out there.

Also do I take my Denby Plate set was going a pass on to my Mum ?

I was thinking of buying everthing new, but this sounds silly really now. To have to buy everying all over again will cost thousands?

"So just a silly question,,,, the 20f container is not also priced on weight " ??

And the kids 5000 book collection can be boxed and taken with us??

Guest guest30038

So would it be worth buying and taking all new Tefal pots & pans

If you asked me what are the crappiest items in Oz...........pots and pans would be near the top of the list. They don't look too bad, but their non-stick seems to scratch easier (including tefal) and the stainless are very thin. There are good ones, but they cost an arm and a leg.

kev

Guest shawgorbys

Hi all well how sad is this we have an attic which is the kids bedroom but then theres cupboards under the eaves so when i go shopping i buy extra bits then when i have a enough to fill a box i do that label all the box up then stash under the roof Hubby hasnt a clue lol ive allsorts and its great so you all take care andrea&familyx

Guest Beach Babe
Hi all well how sad is this we have an attic which is the kids bedroom but then theres cupboards under the eaves so when i go shopping i buy extra bits then when i have a enough to fill a box i do that label all the box up then stash under the roof Hubby hasnt a clue lol ive allsorts and its great so you all take care andrea&familyx

Are you taliking about toiletries ??

Guest shawgorbys

im talking allsorts towels, bedding,. hair .colours .when things on offer its great and like i say i dont miss it Evan bought some underware coz whats nice over there is expensive listen to me ive never evan been oh well take care andrea&gang

Guest Beach Babe

Yes ive heard that underwear is expensive, so may take a trip to Matalan fo kids undies and take next size up too.

They do have LaSenza in Perth I've heard ??

Right so the list so far!

Towels and Bedding

Dyson (bought one last weekend!)

Marmite (for son)

Pots and pans (decent ones)

Electric Blankets - seen some decent ones with dual controls for each side of the bed, on shopping list. Have to say getting excited over electric blankets has seriously got me judging 'How old do you feel?'

Toiletries - enough to sink a battle ship (or container!)

Electricals - still not sure but may buy new in next few months if see good deal.

Sofas - again unsure as current one is 12 years old. Not sure I can hide a sofa in the loft away from OH's gaze and produce it on moving day with the "I brought that ages ago darling"! quote.

Kids - Not sure but may leave them behind LOL!!!!

Karen x

Archived