Things to bring to Oz/things to leave in the UK

shaunkaren

Hi, yes take everything you can, We will be having a container and will fill it with furniture , beds, bedding pots,pans and electrical equipment and lots of clothes, Told my OH to shop till she drops

We have visited Oz three times and its true that most everything out there is made in china and the quality is not as good, You can buy good quality but you will pay more for it.

There are plenty of supermarkets for Toiletries, not sure about Marmite they seem to like vegimite ?

Good luck everyone,

Les & Babs

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

Only one thing to say on this suject.

You can buy absolutely everything you could possibly want or need in Australia for a comparable price to what you paid in the UK if you shop around. End of. If you want to buy new..bring nothing..if you love your stuff and its in good nick ..bring everything. Do not pay good money to shift worn out/useless rubbish halfway around the world.

Fair point! The IKEA stuff is staying behind - not sure it would last the journey! I think the most important factor at the moment is the exchange rate - which for Uk is dire. Things will alter and then expenses change - once in Australia that's the price you pay regardless. Whilst there is a system to compare we are going to trying to optimise ones containers with the cheapest goods available! The fact is we pay a LOT more for fuel, so the swings and roundabouts on what you spend your money on change acocording to where you live - we have relatively cheap consumable goods, particularly in the household sector so it seems daft not to come to Australia with as much cheap, new stuff as possible.

Although accept that bringing bulky useless furniture will be false economy, as cost of replacing may be cheaper than cost of shipping! Another reason why we will be having TV upgrade on arrival - we have a BIG telly (and I don't mean the size of the flat screen - it is one of those old types that has a lot of girth!!) so at the cost of £80 just to crate it up it's not worth it.

It's the personal stuff I am having issues with being brutal over - kids old school books (which they have absolutely no emotional attachment to - just me being sentimental Mum!) being one example.

The deciding factor will be 'How Much?' when the removal quote arrives on the doormat!!!

Regards

Karen

Only one thing to say on this suject.

You can buy absolutely everything you could possibly want or need in Australia for a comparable price to what you paid in the UK if you shop around. End of. If you want to buy new..bring nothing..if you love your stuff and its in good nick ..bring everything. Do not pay good money to shift worn out/useless rubbish halfway around the world.

I totally agree with this post. We had a container and brought just about everything with us as it was fairly new and we wanted to give our children some kind of normality after the huge upheaval. 18 years on it has obviously all been replaced, but bearing in mind how much it all cost to ship from UK to WA, I have wondered many times whether we went too far and would have been better buying new when we arrived. A personal decision I think, but maybe the middle road is the answer - that is bring what you love and replace what you don't!

Guest Beach Babe

we have a BIG telly (and I don't mean the size of the flat screen - it is one of those old types that has a lot of girth!!) so at the cost of £80 just to crate it up it's not worth it.

The deciding factor will be 'How Much?' when the removal quote arrives on the doormat!!!

Regards

Karen

So its not a case of a 20foot container cost £X xxxx they also charge for weight of TV's etc ??:unsure:

Guest ashmalog
Coles sells Marmite in their international section $5.99 for a small one.

i tried the marmite out in oz (not vegimite) and it doesnt taste the same, just like the chocolate really. i will be taking some with me!!! load that container!!:yes:

Yes sorry should have explained. We have a really large mirror and the big telly that if shipped would need to be crated up to prevent breakage - the cost of each crate is approx £80. The main price is worked on volume and then any special items that need extra care are costed for on top.

Karen

Son tried it on reccie and was not impressed - thought it wise to take enough to get him settled in whilst feeling homesick. A nice slice of marmite on toast will do the trick hopefully!! Once it has gone we will switch to vegemite and have the occasional treat when visitors bring some over.

Karen

Hi ya...tempted though I am to take some fave food stuff over..I thought we werent allowed to take anything remotely food related through customs??? not even marmite!

Dawn:confused:

Guest guest30038

What tends to get forgotten when arriving at decisions is the current exchange rate.

This morning 51p would buy you a dollar.............less than 3 years ago you would have got a dollar for 38p.

Those that complain about Oz being expensive, I would suggest, are basing their opinion on comparison to UK prices when the exchange rate is pretty poor. Therefore, it is not the Australian items that are expensive, but the poor comparison to UK prices.

If you're not migrating for a couple of years, you could be pleasantly surprised when drawing similar comparisons.

The exchange rate as it is today, is almost exactly the same as when we came here 15 yrs ago..........I remember clearly because not only would 51p buy you a dollar, it would also buy you a litre of petrol. If we'd have emigrated 2 yrs later, we would have been 25% richer on arrival.

kev

Guest elaina

hi karen,

i had loads of the kids drawings and stuff they had made at school through the years (now both 11yrs) i got them to do a scrap book of ther favourate things. the stuff i kept from the kids i've taken photos of it, so we have a record of it to keep, instead of shipping it all with us. it's cut down on alot of bulk.

hope this helps

elaina

Hi ya...tempted though I am to take some fave food stuff over..I thought we werent allowed to take anything remotely food related through customs??? not even marmite!

Dawn:confused:

Hi Dawn

According to the removal guy so long as it is in sealed packaging and declared as 'food stuff' on the inventory they will want to look at it in customs. I think the main issueis to do with seeds that can introduce all sorts of problems for local wildlife.

One thing I was told we couldn't take were raffia baskets - found that a bit weird (especially as we had purchased from IKEA). Apparently due to possible bugs in the wood - if it is treated (i.e. varnished) then it is ok. But on the basis that if we take it and they tell us NO and that would cost us god knows what to have it shipped back or destroyed then I will leave it here!!

Karen

my wife packed a couple of big marmites in container i think it depends on what is written on the box inventory. All the obvious ones got opened in our container like any tooos, or stuff that had been outside. i got charged £200 for them to clean my trampoline leg and one other item as they found 2 blades of grass!! Tthe alternative was to pay them $120 to destroy them!!!

Do you have to provide purchase receipts for all large items sent by container? I have read somewhere that you need to have owned all items for at least 1 year.

I am thinking about buying a new tv at the moment and I am moving to oz in January, just don't want to have to pay taxes on it a 2nd time.

Could you share your own experience?

Do you have to provide purchase receipts for all large items sent by container? I have read somewhere that you need to have owned all items for at least 1 year.

I am thinking about buying a new tv at the moment and I am moving to oz in January, just don't want to have to pay taxes on it a 2nd time.

Could you share your own experience?

Why not buy the tv out here?? at least then you will get the digital tuner in it that works. Rent one for 6 months.

Why not buy the tv out here?? at least then you will get the digital tuner in it that works. Rent one for 6 months.

Read in this forum that electricals are generally cheaper in the UK. I haven't managed yet to find the online oz equivalent to currys, comet, etc to compare prices

try good guys, dick smith, harvey norman. I brough tnew tv in Jan this year, 47 inch Full HD, 3 yr in home warrenty and it was $2000. £1000 at today exchange but i changed my money up last Nov when it shot up uo 2.6. That was from Good Guys plus i know it works. I think i also read somewhere you can swap regions on your tvs these days so shouldn't be a problem.

• 1 year later...

I've spent hours making a full list of every single item we own, using Excel. I've got columns headed 'sell', 'take', 'leave' or '?'. I've now got to find out what replacement cost is of things we won't take but will need when we buy a home. (ie double bed & mattress - not taking but will buy new). I'm looking for prices on Aussie websites local to where we will live. This should also help reduce our shipping costs one I get the spreadhseet finished.

We're intending to rent a furnished property when we arrive so it'll be a bit like going on a self-catering holiday - but I guess our suitcases will be full of clothes, toothbrushes and stuff.

What a summer we're gonna have (yuk!!) - it's not easy!

Guest shawgorbys

Hi Sue &familly if you use it here take it with you You all take care Good luck with your move down under From Andrea&family xxx

Ditto, ditto and thrice ditto to the above comment!!! We left winter coats behind and moved to Melbourne -BIG mistake given that they have had the coldest, wettest winter for goodness knows how many years!! Also if you can fit it into the container I would suggest bringing it. We have got IKEA out here, also check out Target, KMart, BigW for prices of replacements of things here. be prepared for the 'in between' costs whilst waiting for that container as well. Not sure where you are moving to but if it is near Berwick in Victoria we would be more than happy to help you out with those things.

Having been here a year the things we have sent over as Red Cross parcels include antihistamines, trainers from UK outlet stores, bedding and books and most importantly English chocolate!!!!! I would suggest that if money permits top up on your bed sheets as 'Manchester' (that's what Aussies call bedding etc - still not sure why!!) as it is more expensive here. Next do deliver to Australia now but the last time I looked that only included women and children's clothes.

Good luck with the big move!!

Karen

Guest guest36187

You`ll always find `supplements` for the things that you used to like from UK. There is more and more UK stuff creeping into oz now.

I always weigh up the amount I would spend on shipping everything in............Is it really worth doing it sometimes?

Guest Hoppers

We are just starting our visa application so packing is a distant dream at the moment but ... knowing how strict Oz is about taking wood into the country, how do they feel about wooden furniture?

K

Archived