• 1 year later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really good post

cant talk much

have to go shopping, the list just doubled

seriously though, can you take a wooden wall art about 1m x 45cm

its from Kenya and I love it to bits but have been told as its wooden n not varnished the container people wouldnt recommend taking it

BUT I want it and have been considering all sorts of ideas e.g asking mum to post it later surely they wouldnt check it

or sealing it properly in a big picture frame then just taking it out

or putting it in the container and hoping it will go through

any more ideas?

anyone?

I have had it for 15yrs n sure there are no bugs in it

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was told by the consulate not to bother with white goods or a tv cos they wouldn't work in Oz. Much of the furniture that survived the trip here fell apart as the glue in the joints dried out in the lower humidity. The rest of it was smashed to bits in the container. I turned up in Perth in November in a duffel coat! It was almost 40 degrees at 9pm. The coat was ditched in the hotel the next day; this was followed by a clothes shopping trip. Clothes and kitchen stiff is cheap. I say ditch it all except your favourites and just buy what works when you arrive. Think of it as downsizing and get rid of most of it.

Customs do not like wood. They'll probably send it off to be fumigated or destroyed at your expense. If mum posts it later and they open it you might lose it permanently and be prosecuted. Australia has very strict bio diversity security, as you'd expect in a continent that's been isolated for millennia and can't afford to compromise its environment with imported bugs that could potentially wipe out local species. They x ray the containers and know exactly what's in there and in any event they'll expect you to declare what's in there anyway.. Maybe there are firms in the UK who can check, fumigate, seal, and certify your art to the satisfaction of the Aussie Customs??

I think personal items, electronic goods, and the Dyson would be worth bringing but with all the other stuff ask yourself do you simply want to re create your UK home over here in Australia, or do you want a new start Aussie style. If its the latter then study what Aussie homes are decked out with (check better homes and gardens mag or similar), and aim to make your new Australian home feel like Australia rather than Kent. It might cause some short term inconvenience but will force you to leave your old life behind and look forward.

Archived