Whats bad about Australia (2)

Metoo

Guest itskaren
It's better than the UK where it takes 3 weeks to get a phone connected to a new restaurant despite 10 emails sent to BT.and no apology for their action which meant taking bookings via a mobile phone,only received an apology after threatening to sue them.

As for your comments inlimbo-here is my response.

Seems to rain for days on end in the winter.-Ditto UK

Price of a pint.-Ditto UK,not that I drink what they call beer in the UK.

Expensive food –Ditto UK,when I was there last week I paid £14.00 for a leg of lamb,($27.00 AUD) I can get the same size leg here for $16.00.

TV is tripe and sooooooooooooooooo many adverts-Ditto UK

Curries are horrible,-Ditto UK,Good curries is a UK myth.

Expensive seconhand cars.-UK cars are crap

Where Brits are easy to get to know..Aussies are hard.-Depends on how hard you try.

Grafetti.-Ditto UK (Have you been to Peckham lately ?)

Hoons...Aussies seem to think it is cool to burn rubber all the time-You’re in Kent,Been to Beckenham on a Friday night?

Not as pretty as the UK.-Prettier actually,you obviously didn't go to Katherine Gorge or Tasmania west coast.

No castles or national trust sites to visit-You didn’t look very hard-check out the national trust websites.- National Trust of Australia

Isolated in western Oz.....no europe on doorstep –Thank God

Supermarkets and shops close so early-Most large centres in Australia are open 7 days till 9pm.Western Australia and Queensland are exceptions.

It gets dark so early.-Gets dark at 4.30 in the UK in winter

You are correct though,you are a whinging pom.:laugh:

(Sausages are good in the UK though)

I agree with you Nigel on BT! They are terrible!

However, these comments are from 'POMS IN OZ' Not an Australia in OZ! (with respect!):confused:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie
I agree with you Nigel on BT! They are terrible!

However, these comments are from 'POMS IN OZ' Not an Australia in OZ! (with respect!):confused:

As I said yesterday Karen,there is plenty wrong with Australia,but nothing that stops me wanting to live here.

The driving

sausages

the driving

Telstra customer service

the driving

pig headed blokes who don't like dealing with females

the driving

chips from a fish and chip shop where they use fresh not frozen chips (although have found one that's very close :smile:

Oh and did I mention the driving..............

my experiences only btw :swoon:

Guest Perth Princess

WA lacks the natural beauty of the UK. We recently went up north on a driving holiday and the scenery was exactly the same all the way up (i.e. pretty crap). Last year we drove around Scotland and every time we turned the corner we got a different breath taking view. However, other bits of Oz I know are pretty, I like QLD for the Sunshine Coast and hinterland.

Sorry Aldo but both points are complete rubbish. I've found people here way friendlier than Brits, I've never been more socially active. As for the rain:biglaugh:

I agree with Aldo totally. My OH has been rained off heaps too. Yes it rains loads in the UK but it didn't, in the main stop you working. Here it does a) coz it's MUCH heavier and b) coz you're not allowed too, health and safety and all that!

Aldo lived in SE Qld and so do we, much more rain here than in Perth!!

Lyn

Guest guest17301

The 'baddest' thing bout Australia is that its 24 hrs from the UK :(

And thats all, otherwise all good : )

Guest proud2beaussie
The 'baddest' thing bout Australia is that its 24 hrs from the UK :(

And thats all, otherwise all good : )

That's a fair point.

WA lacks the natural beauty of the UK. We recently went up north on a driving holiday and the scenery was exactly the same all the way up (i.e. pretty crap). Last year we drove around Scotland and every time we turned the corner we got a different breath taking view. However, other bits of Oz I know are pretty, I like QLD for the Sunshine Coast and hinterland.

The Kimberley in north wa is beautiful not green but magnificent , but its a filght or a long drive

Thanks guys for your many replies, it seems that there is not much wrong with Australia. Though many of you make valid points, most of them are not too bad in the big picture, and I think if I had posted "whats bad about the UK" it would have been an avalanche. So thanks again and remember, we are all working towards a better place to be in.

Guest LukeSkywalker

The worst thing I can think of is the cricket team. Luckily if enough Brits emigrate in a generation or so, the Ashes could be won by the Aussies again.

Everyone has got their own reasons for wanting to move to Australia and obviously a dislike of the UK is one of many reasons as is the dream of a new life in a new country with much better weather. But for the sake of balance for all those posts who say Australia is the best place or England is rubbish, what is bad about Australia?

For me, and I am Australian and of my forty odd years lived for 17 of them in NSW and Queensland, it is the seemingly ridiculous beaurocracy, the overbearing police, especially in NSW (have you ever been pulled over) and my new worry is the new Labour Government is going to screw the whole place up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Australia and hope to be back soon, but is not the land of milk and honey that some think it is.

This post is just for balance and is not an Australia knocking thing.

Over to you

Not having Morrisons meat and potatoe pies,

Seriously crap TV

Aussie women "chatting in the mall cafe where their words get higher pitched at the ending of a sentance and LOUDER.

"Tradesmen" quoting a price that is never less than $400 and usually around $1000

( to fit an outlet socket on the patio! )

Grass - which aint real grass.

Aussies inablity to comprehend that when its says 90K per hour...its and advisory maximum speed limit...not a bloody requirement.

Barking , yapping "garden" dogs..

Their ignorant anti social owners...

but its not too bad really!

Guest twilighter

I like your honest post makes me wonder if the ones who disagree so much are obviousely looking for reasurrance ... cos they believe that its best thing since sliced bread an all that, but its not been for us, great for travel but thats all i agree with everything you said but it always hits alot of nerves when any one knocks oz, thats whats wrong with uk NO PRIDE.

Guest Gabby

I can only speak about Perth W A .I wouldn't want to live anywhere else BUT everything is spread out BUT roads are easy and usually about 1/2 hour to beach from most places , we have late night in suburbs on Thursday and Friday in the city.I think everything else would just about be the same wherever -- speeding tickets, cost of fuel, good restaurants / bad restaurants, friendly . I can shop ant M&S online .we have access to most things shopping on line if we can't find local--all in all it's a good place to be if you want it to be --only one thing missing if you can't live without it ____FAMILY . good luck

Guest Graham from Oz
I can only speak about Perth W A .I wouldn't want to live anywhere else BUT everything is spread out BUT roads are easy and usually about 1/2 hour to beach from most places , we have late night in suburbs on Thursday and Friday in the city.I think everything else would just about be the same wherever -- speeding tickets, cost of fuel, good restaurants / bad restaurants, friendly . I can shop ant M&S online .we have access to most things shopping on line if we can't find local--all in all it's a good place to be if you want it to be --only one thing missing if you can't live without it ____FAMILY . good luck

Agreed......the road system is great easy to get around, i lived up in Dongara for 8-9yrs (near Gero) and was always making the trip to perth for training (im a rigger and work up North in the pilbara, Karratha, Newman, Tomprice....etc.) i also lived in Caversham for a while cos its close to the airport and Mossy park nxt to the beach. i now live in Adelaide, road system is similar (only 20mins from everywhere...lol) and easy to find ya way around...........dont ask me what happened to Sydney and Melb, in Melb 10 yrs ago i was looking for a Highway just to get out the other side to Healsville took me 2hrs to find it and i drove over it 3 times, street signs are everywhere, one street its on a normal street sign the nxt one is on the curb then the one after that is one the side of a building, so when ya driving ya gota look for signs in all these places..........then oooooooooooops sorry you`ve missed it.....lol.

Guest guest30038
Average Annual Number of Wet Days and Rainfall

I've experianced heavy downpours lasting anything upto a week in Brisbane, never seems to rain on the dams though.:dull:

I've been here 15 yrs and the longest I've known it rain was 3 days in the first year that I was here. I've never known it rain for a whole day since. Most rain deposited on Brisbane comes via afternoon storms that last less then a couple of hours. When it rains, it buckets it down, but not for prolonged periods. I'd rather have 50 mm in an hour than have Cornish or London drizzle for days on end..........wet is wet and although the mean rainfall may indicate less rainfall in parts of UK as opposed to Oz, UK rainfall is more prolonged.

kev

The sad thing about Aus is that there is rain and there is drought all at the same time but because the country is so big there isnt (at the moment anyway) a way to get the water from the areas that have it - in abundance - to the areas which are dying because they dont have any. When I flew over the GAFA in late March the flooding was like a lake over the north of the country - quite amazing. I didnt expect it to be as widespread as it was but I guess I should have known from "In the Wet"

Canberra could certainly do with a lot more rain although our dams are at 44% which isnt as bad as Melbourne for example.

Well from a person who emigrated from Canada to Oz, I guess my perspective is a little different than those that emigrated from the UK to Oz.

Things that I find bad about Oz are:

No daylight savings

Lack of scenery... compared to Canada, Australia (Well WA anyways) doesn't hold a candle to it... very boring IMO

Lack of shopping hours in WA and lack of competition

Cost of eating out here.... horrendous compared to Canada

Cost of houses.....way too expensive IMO (they are very expensive here in WA)

Motorbike drivers who think that they have complete control of the road, and can do whatever they like

Grafitti.... never seen so much in my life here compared to Canada

Hoons... we did have them back in Canada but they never felt the need to burn rubber as they do here

I like the weather here compared to Canada and the beaches, but do miss the changing seasons we had back home.

Karen

Guest Gabby
Well from a person who emigrated from Canada to Oz, I guess my perspective is a little different than those that emigrated from the UK to Oz.

Things that I find bad about Oz are:

No daylight savings

Lack of scenery... compared to Canada, Australia (Well WA anyways) doesn't hold a candle to it... very boring IMO

Lack of shopping hours in WA and lack of competition

Cost of eating out here.... horrendous compared to Canada

Cost of houses.....way too expensive IMO (they are very expensive here in WA)

Motorbike drivers who think that they have complete control of the road, and can do whatever they like

Grafitti.... never seen so much in my life here compared to Canada

Hoons... we did have them back in Canada but they never felt the need to burn rubber as they do here

I like the weather here compared to Canada and the beaches, but do miss the changing seasons we had back home.

Karen

can live with or without daylight saving --only 1 hour difference !!

Late night shopping ??? I worked in retail all my working life as my husband has too --The ones who want "open all hours " type of shopping obviously don't work in that industry. What happens to family outings with BOTH parents there at same time or sports for kids at weekends etc etc. When I was growing up the shops closed at mid day for lunch and no late nights and closed mid day on saturday and guess what we never ran out of essential food items ( there were still corner shops ) Most of Sunday or late night shoppers when they do special events are only out to cruise the shops UNLESS retailer gives away at rediculous prices. If extended hours became the norm the shops would be empty most of time at night --check out Maroochidor in queensland and otheres --proof is there.

Perth will be starting late-r nights pretty soon so they say so mums or dads might not get home till after 8 pm weeknights and all because some shoppers can't organise within hours we have at present-- try it and see you can do it.

We do have limited lanscape in W A once you leave the country and head out most of what you see is red dust and scrub but you do get the impression of the size and scope of this place ,even from the air especially if you are headed for the north -red rocks and red dust but beautiful never the less.

Tasmania is so different very green and really beautiful and houses are cheaper and weather is very like UK so there is an alternative for immigrants who don't like the heat in mainland Australia or whatever and would prefer to keep life a bit more like UK without actually living there .We have choices available to us so enjoy where you are or try another location -- Graham has moved around and seen plenty.!!! I'm not criticising so no attacks please I'm only stating my views .Gabby

Love, love, love daylight savings but never had to milk a cow in the dark for sure! Anything before 7am is dark to me!

Back on topic

That it is so bl**dy expensive to get out of

The lack of history which is relevant to me (I know, lots of dreamtime stuff and grinding stones - not floating my boat) - who'd have thought the UK would have 28 world heritage sites LOL and for such a little island ...

Guest Gabby

Brisbane /Queensland is more tropical -if you look at the greenery -so different to W A so obviously they need the humid atmosphere to make it grow like that. Perth is drier so more scrub.That is one thing I like about Australia each state can be quite different --I'm talking about the natural growth not the cultivated gardens

Guest Gabby

I have a brother in Brisbane and although it's home ( his wife is a brissie and agrees ) Summer is the pitts as that is when they get most rain and I wouldn't sit out in it either 'cos it would " knock yer heid aff " as they say in scotland this also makes it very humid .

Spring and autum are best -- same in Perth ( at least for me ) we can enjoy being out without getting burned --summer best for swimming etc.

Queensland have a great system for drainage around the patio otherwise everything floats away when they get the BIG downpours and I have seen it happen. Au is so vast and changes state to state so if not happy in one try another .

While on this visit back to Uk my husband said everyone is still going to same places ,in same houses and hardly changing as life goes on --numerous folks told him that before he went away and no one wants to know what you are doing in AU otherwise it sounds like bragging .

I remember as kids we had rellies in America and Canada and because the photo's looked good nice palm tree's etc and log cabins in canada everyone thought they were rich --they had to work like everyone else so maybe that's how the folks back home see us in AU-- The sunshine just makes it look really nice but we still have to work. We can just enjoy outdoors a lot more.

Guest inlimbo

These type of threads are just going to cause arguments and bickering....lets just say both Countries have there great points and there bad points like every Country in the world....we are so lucky to be able to live in either.

These type of threads are just going to cause arguments and bickering....lets just say both Countries have there great points and there bad points like every Country in the world....we are so lucky to be able to live in either.

Yeah lets just close the forum then,because half of the threads are titled "100 things that are better in oz","10 things that are better in the UK","101 things that are better in UK","5 things that are better in oz",and on and on and on,same bird,different dress ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz,and it wont ever stop,that im certain of!:yes:

Archived