The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1732[/ATTACH]

Fishing this last coulp of months on the sunshine coast has not been much to rave about, but then this time of year you're lucky if you can get out. The photo i have supplied is of last weeks catch, conditions were great, a couple of boats went out, we cleaned up everybody catching the max everywhere. The top point of that weekend was Pete's little lad of 11 years caught the biggest bluefinned mack i've ever seen. He done us proud the the fish completely spooled him at one poin but he managed to bring it in and i myself would have been proud to claim such a fish. I think after his experience he is well and truely gonna be hooked for life.

What can i say about today, weather reports were telling us to expect winds of 8 knots with the sea swell reaching 1.5, man did they get this wrong. Set out of mooloolaba around 2pm this avo and was out less than an hour, the winds i reckon was easily 15 knots as for the swell i would say easily a 2 metre coming through with hardly any breaks between troughs. The plan was to do some trolling for spanish mack after an hour or so and after getting one of our lines tangled around the prop we decided to call it a day. Was not much fun trying to untangle line from prop in a messy 2 metre swell. Oh well, there's always next week.

On a positive note i hear from many that the snapper have arrived already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day mate, that pic shows a bonito, one of the best snapper baits; the 3 best are: 1. pillie, 2. bonito cubes and 3. mullet strips. Float the bait down slowly and the big snapper, being oportunist feeders, will move up to grab the bait. Make sure that you burley the area with the same as the bait you are using.

If you put a sinker on, chances are that you will only get the pan sized snapper, or lizards.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

Cheers Bobj

Thanks for the info mate. Have got a few in the freezer which i've kept whole ready and waiting for the snapper. When the time comes will cut them up, keeping the carcus for burley. Had fun this summer playing and chasing all the macks but looking forward to the winter season.

Im hoping with all the info that i've taken on board since being in oz that i can land a couple of decent old overgrown snapper surely for the photograph.

Cheers mate

Have not read any of your posts yet about your travels off to see what you're up to.

eddie

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi all, I haven't been on this thread for some time now & just noticed that Eddy mentioned my sons Mack tuna on a recent fishing trip. He did really well, he cast a lure in to a shoal of tuna & hooked a great fish, he then managed to reel it in after about 20 mins, with a lot of vocal encouragement from me & eddy, we both wondered who would tirer first Will or the fish!! But in the end he got it close enough for the gaff. It was 8kg. He was on a 2-5 kg rod, 15lb braid, 30lb leader & a tiny slug with the treble removed & replaced with a single. A very happy boy & to top it all he wasnt sea sick!!!

Another session off the rocks this morning. Fished the top of the tide, glassout conditions...Nuffin' until the tide turned then I got 1 spotty mack. I had a few herring and put one of those on and got a good hit and landed a golden Tevally, which was duly released. I estimated it to be 12-15 lbs.

2552010003.jpg

Tied on another herring and whack!! A really good goldie that did not want to come in. I managed to turn it and could see its companion shadowing it, then a big cod had a squiz.

You can see the tails of the GTs and the dark bulk of the cod.

2552010006.jpg

I tried to get the GT to smile but it was a little bit preoccupied...

2552010013.jpg

I estimated this GT at 20-25lbs.

Not easy trying to get a photo of a big fish and trying to keep it away from a bigger cod.

Nearly managed to get the cod to smile...

2552010014.jpg

Finally, after about 15 minutes, I landed the GT and released it safely...

The cod got the frame from the spotty mack in the end.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi all, went camping this weekend & my mate caught this fish, no idea what it was but it tasted great...................................................................................

Not really, Eddy told me to put that!!!!

The story goes like this. We went camping to a little place with some friends for a weekend. We knew there was a little creek there so we stuck a few fishing rods in the van. After digging up some worms on the campsite we were having great fun with the kids catching catfish & throwing them back. Then out of the blue my mates rod went off & we quickly realised that this was no catfish when it jumped & came out of the water. The guy who hooked it said straight away it was a lung fish. We finally landed it in to a wet towel & got the hook out, took a few pictures & returned it to the water & I am 100% confident we did it no harm. There were loads of ozys with us who said they had never seen one before as they are so rare. I must say that I have never seen a fish quite like it, it looked prehistoric & I dont know if I will see one again. I was told they can live for 80+years! Has anyone else caught one of these fish & does anyone know anything else about them as I would be really interested to hear about it.

Hi all, went camping this weekend & my mate caught this fish, no idea what it was but it tasted great...................................................................................

Not really, Eddy told me to put that!!!!

The story goes like this. We went camping to a little place with some friends for a weekend. We knew there was a little creek there so we stuck a few fishing rods in the van. After digging up some worms on the campsite we were having great fun with the kids catching catfish & throwing them back. Then out of the blue my mates rod went off & we quickly realised that this was no catfish when it jumped & came out of the water. The guy who hooked it said straight away it was a lung fish. We finally landed it in to a wet towel & got the hook out, took a few pictures & returned it to the water & I am 100% confident we did it no harm. There were loads of ozys with us who said they had never seen one before as they are so rare. I must say that I have never seen a fish quite like it, it looked prehistoric & I dont know if I will see one again. I was told they can live for 80+years! Has anyone else caught one of these fish & does anyone know anything else about them as I would be really interested to hear about it.

Mate!!! That is excellent, It is the famous Qld lungfish, or ceratodus.

Queensland lungfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

What a fish ,can sure see why the are rare ,dont know if i will ever get to see one my self ,bet every one was well made up to see such a fish .

Glad to see you all handled the fish well ,and let it swim off happily .

Great photos .:yes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1840[/ATTACH]

Got this ,this morning a wobbygone i think ,was 1st time out in a very long time.Sea was flat as ,and a very nice morning.

Guest Guest9973
[ATTACH]1840[/ATTACH]

Got this ,this morning a wobbygone i think ,was 1st time out in a very long time.Sea was flat as ,and a very nice morning.

Ugly sucker isn't he?

Got the new boat yet??

Guest Working to fish
Ugly sucker isn't he?

Got the new boat yet??

Not yet mate ,still in the makeing ,got my new boat shed tho so hope to get more of the build under way ,just got to stay off the water .

[ATTACH]1840[/ATTACH]

Yup. that's a wobby. Hope you returned it, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish
Yup. that's a wobby. Hope you returned it, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

sure did mate ,no worries there .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey expert Aussie Fisher folk

We are getting ready to ship our stuff out. My hubby is a keen course fisherman here an has pole, feeder and waggler rods an a seat box. He is under the impression that there is not much in the way of course fishing out there so we are ummming and ahhhing about what to do with his stuff? Will he be able to use these in Oz or should we sell it an invest in just beachcasters instead?

Also, if we do bring it, can anyone tell me the best stuff to clean it all with - esp the nets in his stink bag (which most definately stinks)! Is Jeyes fluid ok or should we use something else as I'm worried about contaminating the water....???

Guest Working to fish
Hey expert Aussie Fisher folk

We are getting ready to ship our stuff out. My hubby is a keen course fisherman here an has pole, feeder and waggler rods an a seat box. He is under the impression that there is not much in the way of course fishing out there so we are ummming and ahhhing about what to do with his stuff? Will he be able to use these in Oz or should we sell it an invest in just beachcasters instead?

Also, if we do bring it, can anyone tell me the best stuff to clean it all with - esp the nets in his stink bag (which most definately stinks)! Is Jeyes fluid ok or should we use something else as I'm worried about contaminating the water....???

Hi

If it were me i would bring the lot (i did mine) ,there are lots of lakes to fish as for cleaning i used good old soap ,and had no problems at all.

I have all my uk gear and have used it ,have also brought new stuff here tho.

:yes:

G'day mate, bring your gear by all means, but lay off calling it "coarse, feeder and waggler rods"...:biglaugh:

The Illawarra region is not noted for freshwater fishing, except for the trout in the high country and yellowbelly in a few of the dams. Most fishos concentrate on the saltwater fishing; some great fish along the coast there.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hello all

G'day mate, some good fishing around the Gold Coast, notably flathead and bream around the marinas and trevally in the Seaway. Also, excellent mangrove jacks under the road bridges. All good eating, but be aware of the laws re size and quantity. No licence required...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Egans

Hi and sorry for the last post, I pressed enter and posted a partial thread and got distracted by her indoors so could not rectify until now. Thanks Bob J for the reply anyway mate.

Anyhow this is what I wanted to post.

I have been a keen fisherman for 20 odd years but with havin kids and work it has been put on the backburner for the last 8 years ish.

In my early days here in 'Not so Sunny Blackpool' I started course fishing then went for the bigger Carp Fishing (crap fishing in the old oz lingo) anyhow we our flying out in September with our PR visas in our pockets and want to get into the fishing over there with my 10 Year old (3 year old will have to wait a few years). I have a few Carp rods and baitrunners up to around 3lb test curve. Will this gear be ok for fishing off the beach or in the rivers around the Gold Coast? or will it be beneficial to pick up some beachcasters from local car boot sales before we arrive.

Also is there any books that have good info of what to handle before I get stung by something that will put me on my back, I dont want to look a *** fishing with marigolds on. Info on bait, where to fish, and any other info would be great. Personal Best is a 30lb mirror which is not a bad fish in England, but I suppose small fry over there. PS to Bob J some fantastic photographs mate keep them coming. Cant wait to dangle my maggot off the Gold Coast..

Shaun.

Archived