The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1991[/ATTACH]

Build comeing along.

Great photos Bobj ,am giveing the build a rest and will be hitting the water in the morning cant wait to get out ,many thanks on the new site for weather ,hope to have a good photo to put up ,about time .

Many thanks

Eddie

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another session this morning, glassout conditions again.

182010001.jpg

Managed 7 small queenies, 1 bream and 1 bluey and got a good pic of this goldspot cod...The queenie was 27 cm (10.5 inches) as comparison)

182010005.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest9973

Stop teasing me Bob. Some great piccies there.

Weather is crap here with gusts up to 30 knots. Coldest winter I've known here:eek:

Just itching to get out in the tub!

Guest guest30038

Had a weekend down the Tweed last wekend with PIO members Andy&Yvonne. It peed down when we got there so the fist nights fishing was buggered.

Fishing from the bank at hacienda caravan park, the following morning, the bream were on with the biggest going 34cm's. In tailor season I always use a flouro bead above the hook and got taken a few times after the bream had nicked the pilly and I was reeling in, but as tailor do, most of 'em went clean through the trace. I did manage 2 though at 32 and 36. Made a nice meal for all of us in the evening.........nothing like tailor straight from the water IMHO.

kev

Guest Working to fish

Not good .

up at 4am ,had read swell of 1.2 not bad

Knots 11 ,dropping right off as the morning went on.

got in the water about 5.30 am ,

low tide 5.35 am

11 knots my ars ,was blowing s/sw off shore .

From the beach it looked flat as ,when out there it was messy ,strong tide comeing in ,wind blowing out to sea ,white caps all over ,big ,big weight on the line ,no go :sad:,after 2 hours came home ,

15 -18 knots i think ,have just looked on the live reading it says it was around 12 knots ,my ars.Should have gone this afternoon ,well nice now .oh well:no:

No pics again

An odd session off the rocks yesterday at 10 AM; tide was half way out and not a touch for nearly an hour, then a few tentative touches on the flesh bait. A swirl in the water and thousands of baitfish went beserk trying to get out of the way of a couple of small spanish macks in the 45-50 cm bracket. On goes a set of gangs and a pillie, heave out and twitch the line a couple of times, reel in and no terminal tackle. Re rig and heave out...Whack! a small spano hits and a quick scrap then the fish gets free...Used a metal slice and had a ball! All up, 15 hits, 8 macks lost and 3 fish landed, all in a 45 minute period. Water was so clear, I could see the macks hitting the lure. All fish returned as they were only up to 50 cm (75 cm minimum for spaniards.) But what fun! Oh, the big resident cod got 1 unfortunate mack...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish
Eddie mate, just for you, well, those who want to go fishing in Qld on saturday; nice calm conditions and remember to take plenty of photos for the trophy wall :wink::

4 day Forecast Chart

Cheers, Bobj.

Many thanks

Bob ,am hopeing to get out on saturday ,will let you know .

Guest steve the spark

sorry it its already been asked but

whats the best bait for snapper?

went out last weekend to the 23`s 5miles off southport seaway and picked up 5 small ones ( around 1.2 to 1.5kilo ) on lumps of pilchard

is this the correct bait or is there something better

regards steve

Guest guest30038

went out last weekend to the 23`s 5miles off southport seaway and picked up 5 small ones ( around 1.2 to 1.5kilo ) on lumps of pilchard

regards steve

Pillies are good. Squid can be good too, as can mullet strip. Snapper will rise to a bait and feed in the whole water column so use as little weight as possible so that your bait sinks slowly. Personally, for the better snaps, I use a a gang of 4'0s with a whole pilly.

kev

Guest Working to fish

regards steve

I find mackerel ,works well ,i stock up in the summer months ,with macks ,Snapper love it imo.

Guest Working to fish

Thanks to Kev and Bob ,i fish with no weight at all for snapper ,wish i was out there tonight ,the sky show would be great 10k off shore .

Guest steve the spark
Pillies are good. Squid can be good too, as can mullet strip. Snapper will rise to a bait and feed in the whole water column so use as little weight as possible so that your bait sinks slowly. Personally, for the better snaps, I use a a gang of 4'0s with a whole pilly.

kev

thanks for the info re wieghts i`ll try that

i was going to go heavier in order to get it down quicker

( we were fishing in 145 foot of water )

regards steve

Guest Working to fish
thanks for the info re wieghts i`ll try that

i was going to go heavier in order to get it down quicker

( we were fishing in 145 foot of water )

regards steve

Snapper get the bait when they are heading upwards ,no weight needed

Guest steve the spark
I find mackerel ,works well ,i stock up in the summer months ,with macks ,Snapper love it imo.

whole small ones or strips of bigger fish?

just noticed you`ve added that you use no wieghts dosnt it take ages to get down to the reef and how do you know where abouts your bait is?

i`ve been letting the wieght hit the bottom and wind back up a couple of turns

Guest steve the spark
Snapper get the bait when they are heading upwards ,no weight needed

? do you mean they come up to "attack" the bait as it drops or have i misunderstood?

Guest Working to fish
? do you mean they come up to "attack" the bait as it drops or have i misunderstood?

They will hang around the reef ,when they see the bait on its way down ,or going with tide they will head towards it ,With out weight on ,the bait looks better to the snapper if you know what i mean .

Guest Working to fish
whole small ones or strips of bigger fish?

just noticed you`ve added that you use no wieghts dosnt it take ages to get down to the reef and how do you know where abouts your bait is?

i`ve been letting the wieght hit the bottom and wind back up a couple of turns

I fish a coulpe of rods ,one with stripps of mack (no weight) just leave it to do its thing .

Other rod ,i jigg with plastics

Guest steve the spark
They will hang around the reef ,when they see the bait on its way down ,or going with tide they will head towards it ,With out weight on ,the bait looks better to the snapper if you know what i mean .

i do now thanks, a bit like wet fly fishing and trying to make it look natural

next any good cookin tips? i beer battered strips and deep fried ours

Guest Working to fish
i do now thanks, a bit like wet fly fishing and trying to make it look natural

next any good cookin tips? i beer battered strips and deep fried ours

sounds good ,Kev is a bit of a chef ,he may have some ideas ?

Guest guest30038
sounds good ,Kev is a bit of a chef ,he may have some ideas ?

The bigger ones I cook whole........I gut and de-scale, cut their fins off with scissors, pat dry, fill the cavity with onion, smear with garlic butter, wrap in foil and bake...yum yum.

Steve, you can also "cube" when fishing with unweighted pillies. just drop a small cube of pilly into the water every so often without overfeeding. They will rise up to your cubes and smash the whole pilly. The theory is that they'll follow the source, having an instinct for where the cubes are coming from (direction of current flowing) and head into the current but my personal experience is that it doesn't work all that good in a strong flow but is a killer in a slow flow, particularly for cobia........they'll come right up to the back of your boat and give you the finger. :biglaugh:

kev

Snapper fishing is easy, you just need a bucket of burley, (6 parts chook pellets, 1 part chopped up pillies and 1/4 cup tuna oil). Fish pre-dawn to about 1 hour after dawn in shallow water (40-50 ft) As soon as the sun comes up the snapperstart to disperse to deeper water. Burley the area and float a whole pillie down the burley trail. The bigger snapper, being opportunist feeders, will rise to your offerings. Some other good bait are green prawns whole squid and good mullet strips. But the important thing is to make up the burley with the same type of bait as you use on the hooks.

Another way is to jig a single 4/0 hook on a 40 gram chrome slice. Send slice to bottom, wind in about a metre of line, lift the rod tip 2 metres, lower the rod tip and allow the slice to flutter down again and repeat the excercise.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived